PDA

View Full Version : Republican convention talking points

shane77m
08-27-2012, 12:47 PM
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/republican-talk-points_650903.html?page=1

Here are the official Republican talking points, being circulated to surrogates speaking on behalf of the party here:

The impression I get from the article.
"Romney we love to kiss your a$$."

Acala
08-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Chock full of specifics. I particularly liked the part where they explained how they can increase defense spending, lower taxes, and balance the budget. I never could figure out how that worked and now I understand - we just wish real hard and believe in America and it will happen.

NIU Students for Liberty
08-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Chock full of specifics. I particularly liked the part where they explained how they can increase defense spending, lower taxes, and balance the budget. I never could figure out how that worked and now I understand - we just wish real hard and believe in America and it will happen.

They'd have you believe that Reagan accomplished that feat...

Acala
08-27-2012, 02:19 PM

They assume I can't read a chart tracking national debt.

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-27-2012, 02:30 PM

Then I show them that Carter spent A LOT less than Reagan and watch as the world implodes from their cognitive dissonance.

The debt from 77 to 81 - 700 billion to 990 billion. From 82 to 86 - 1.150 trillion to 2.125 trillion. Reagan tripled Carter.

http://mises.org/freemarket_detail.aspx?control=488

Even Ford and Carter did a better job at cutting government. Their combined presidential terms account for an increase of 1.4%—compared with Reagan's 3%—in the government's take of "national income." And in nominal terms, there has been a 60% increase in government spending, thanks mainly to Reagan's requested budgets, which were only marginally smaller than the spending Congress voted.

The budget for the Department of Education, which candidate Reagan promised to abolish along with the Department of Energy, has more than doubled to $22.7 billion, Social Security spending has risen from $179 billion in 1981 to $269 billion in 1986. The price of farm programs went from $21.4 billion in 1981 to $51.4 billion in 1987, a 140% increase. And this doesn't count the recently signed $4 billion "drought-relief" measure. Medicare spending in 1981 was $43.5 billion; in 1987 it hit $80 billion. Federal entitlements cost $197.1 billion in 1981—and $477 billion in 1987.

Foreign aid has also risen, from $10 billion to $22 billion. Every year, Reagan asked for more foreign-aid money than the Congress was willing to spend. He also pushed through Congress an $8.4 billion increase in the U.S. "contribution" to the International Monetary Fund.

Man, Reagan was truly god-awful.