PDA

View Full Version : NY Times: Paul Makes Sure His Voice Is Heard in Tampa

sailingaway
08-26-2012, 10:57 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/08/27/us/CAMPAIGN-1/CAMPAIGN-1-articleLarge.jpg

TAMPA, Fla. — In a speech that was part motivational, part valedictory and at every opportunity critical of the mainstream Republican Party on the eve of its convention here this week, Representative Ron Paul declared his “liberty movement” alive and well on Sunday before a crowd of nearly 10,000 supporters who were eager to testify to that claim.

Mr. Paul said that he had recently read in newspapers that the so-called Ron Paul Revolution was over, and that whatever enthusiasm voters had shown toward his presidential campaign in the Republican primary season was gone.

“They only wish!” Mr. Paul thundered to an audience that seemed to become more energized with his every word, their roars of approval reaching a deafening level inside the Sun Dome at the University of South Florida.

On this evening, Mr. Paul, the longtime libertarian House member from Texas and presidential contender, was in characteristic form: animated, witty, irreverent and uncensored. He spoke for more than an hour to supporters who had waited five hours to hear him. At times, bursting with spirit, he shouted. At other moments, he lowered his voice to make his favorite points.

Mr. Paul, 77, was not scheduled to speak at the Republican convention. And in a credentials dispute, hard-bargaining party leaders left the Paul forces with only half the delegates from Maine that they had thought they had won — a blunt reminder of Mitt Romney’s grip on the proceedings.

Over all, the Sunday rally might be seen as something of a consolation prize for a campaign that was unable to leverage its grass-roots enthusiasm into party strength. But none of that stopped Mr. Paul from getting his message across.

“Seems to me,” he told the crowd, “they would be begging and pleading for us to come into the party.”

Mr. Paul added, “The worst thing we could do is be silent.”

At another rally on Sunday at a Tampa church, two other former presidential contenders, Herman Cain and Representative Michele Bachmann, spoke to a boisterous crowd of several hundred Tea Party supporters.

“There were some people who hoped you all wouldn’t show up,” said Mr. Cain, a former pizza chain executive. “Y’all fooled them.”....

10,000+ for Ron; 'hundreds for Bachman Cain Overdrive. Decent ratio.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/27/us/politics/ron-paul-rallies-his-supporters-in-tampa.html

ShaneEnochs
08-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Wtf is up with that picture?

sailingaway
08-26-2012, 11:49 PM

I read there was some dancing in the aisles during songs.

low preference guy
08-26-2012, 11:50 PM

it's pretty hilarious.

ShaneEnochs
08-27-2012, 08:40 AM
I'm not sure I heard any grind-worthy music o.o

ClydeCoulter
08-27-2012, 08:53 AM

That was my first reaction.

Boss
08-27-2012, 09:10 AM
What type of picture would you have preferred? And why?

For the record, I think that picture is awesome, and the article well written. Overall beneficial to the Liberty movement.

sailingaway
08-27-2012, 09:18 AM

For the record, I think that picture is awesome, and the article well written. Overall beneficial to the Liberty movement.

No question it looks like people had a lot more fun at Ron's rally than at the RNC 'welcome gathering' which looked from pics like your average, mandatory, rubber chicken event.

whippoorwill
08-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Bump

JK/SEA
08-27-2012, 09:43 AM
The picture?...hmmmm.....could be a peek into when the Liberty movement takes over DC. This pic represents what will be happening in the Senate Chambers when that day comes....lol...

ShaneEnochs
08-27-2012, 10:04 AM

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I find a girl grinding on a guy's junk in public slightly obscene.

sailingaway
08-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I find a girl grinding on a guy's junk in public slightly obscene.

I'm not sure that is what was happening.

Dr.3D
08-27-2012, 10:19 AM
On this evening, Mr. Paul, the longtime libertarian House member from Texas
Then why does it say "R" after his name?

Edit:
Isn't Ron Paul a Republican?

I'll bet you could ask 100 people who Ron Paul is and they would tell you he is a libertarian. At least that's the impression I get from the media.

helmuth_hubener
08-27-2012, 10:41 AM
At least that's the impression I get from the media. This is the one time the media was telling the truth. Ron Paul is a libertarian. In fact, he's also a Libertarian, as in a Life Member of the Libertarian Party of the USA.

Or course, he's also a Republican, for political purposes. So both labels are accurate.

Dr.3D
08-27-2012, 11:17 AM
This is the one time the media was telling the truth. Ron Paul is a libertarian. In fact, he's also a Libertarian, as in a Life Member of the Libertarian Party of the USA.

Or course, he's also a Republican, for political purposes. So both labels are accurate.
Makes one hell of a difference when running for president as a Republican to be a Republican, otherwise it looks like a Libertarian is trying to fool people into thinking he is a Republican. He is a Republican congressman is he not?

mad cow
08-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Bump

Grind.

samforpaul
08-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Nice article. Horrible pictures.

Kage127
08-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Those two were really good dancers. I'm a little sorry that is the picture that was picked. The dancing I saw them doing was not grind style dancing. More twirling and festive.

helmuth_hubener
08-27-2012, 01:40 PM
otherwise it looks like a Libertarian is trying to fool people into thinking he is a Republican. He kind of is. Not trying to "fool people" exactly, but trying to make it possible for them to give him a chance. To hear him for long enough that they might think "hmm...".

Dr.3D
08-27-2012, 01:56 PM
He kind of is. Not trying to "fool people" exactly, but trying to make it possible for them to give him a chance. To hear him for long enough that they might think "hmm...".
sigh...

sailingaway
08-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Those two were really good dancers. I'm a little sorry that is the picture that was picked. The dancing I saw them doing was not grind style dancing. More twirling and festive.

that's what I thought when I posted it, that they had just come out of a twirl or similar move

CPUd
08-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Heimlich Maneuver. The poor lady was so excited when they started chanting 'Paul 16' that she started choking, and the young hero saved her life just in time for Ron's speech.

jt8025
08-27-2012, 02:18 PM
That is Charles Gregory in the picture. He just won his primary against what I think was a 8-term congresswoman. I don't believe he has an opponent in December. He was the GA Ron Paul head coordinator. He was outspent but pulled it out.

ShaneEnochs
08-27-2012, 10:43 PM
that's what I thought when I posted it, that they had just come out of a twirl or similar move

Then they took the picture at the absolute worst possible moment. Chick has her hands on her thighs, knees bent, butt against the guy's junk. I think most people are going to see what I saw and not a twirl.