PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul supporters told to remove signs

Bradley in DC
11-18-2007, 05:19 PM
[Throwing down the gauntlet!]

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2007/11/15/ron_paul_supporters_told_to_remove_signs/5759/

Ron Paul supporters told to remove signs

Published: Nov. 15, 2007 at 12:00 PM

SPRINGFIELD, Ill., Nov. 15 (UPI) -- Supporters of Republican presidential hopeful Ron Paul in Springfield, Ill., have been asked to remove campaign signs that the city says are too large.

The city's building and zoning department sent letters dated Oct. 25 to the owners of two properties, informing them that "banners and stakes" posted at the property exceed the square footage allowed by zoning rules, the Springfield State Journal-Register reported Thursday.

Follow-up letters sent on Tuesday said the matter has been referred to the city's legal office.

Calvin Mabus, whose home is one of the properties cited by the city, said Wednesday he took down a banner after he received the letter, but he will not remove a wooden sign from in front of his home, even if the city asks directly.

"Putting signs in your yard is as old as the election process itself," Mabus said. "What's more important -- preserving our national sovereignty or worrying about a stupid little sign?"

Springfield's zoning rules allow homes to display temporary signs that are no larger than 12 square feet. Temporary signs supporting political candidates are only allowed within 60 days of the election, which would be Dec. 7 for the Feb. 5 Illinois state primary.

Austin
11-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Are there any previous cases that are similar to this, with positive outcomes?

Menthol Patch
11-18-2007, 05:23 PM
If I owned a home I would put a sign infront of my house if the city liked it or not.

hopeforamerica
11-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Our Christmas lights sign is huge. We got a note from the association to take it down. Yea right, lol. We'll be fighting this one.

MS0453
11-18-2007, 06:11 PM
I'm glad to see so many are standing their grounds.

Dorfsmith
11-18-2007, 06:13 PM
I received a note from my homeowners association saying take the sign down or we'll see you in court. I don't have the time or money to fight it. I taped it in my front window. I also put signs all over my cars. They can't do anything about those. The rules clearly say no political "Yard Signs" earlier than 45 days before an election :D

hillertexas
11-18-2007, 06:14 PM
paint he side of your house
paint your garage door
put your signs on your roof

dircha
11-18-2007, 06:28 PM
A homeowners association is one thing... that's something you knowingly agree to as part of your deed.

But this sounds like a city ordinance, which sounds to me like an unconstitutional government infringement on protected political speech.

If it's been found that city governments can't prohibit you from cursing in a public park, how could it possibly be permissible to prohibit you from exercising your right to political speech on your own property?

MsDoodahs
11-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Others will be along to this shortly, I think..

I know of at least two members who had similar issues, I know for sure one won and I'm pretty sure both did.

:D

ValidusCustodiae
11-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Others will be along to this shortly, I think..

I know of at least two members who had similar issues, I know for sure one won and I'm pretty sure both did.

:D

I remember at least 5 cases of this on the boards where people fought back and won. They're hoping you will comply. They have no legal basis to force you to. Unconstitutional state laws and municipal ordinances are the problem here. It's time we started standing up to them, and I am so glad many of you have. It's a fight that is more important than most people realize!

DealzOnWheelz
11-18-2007, 06:41 PM
I would fight it

there was a case were they argued that because real estate agents can put for sale signs anytime of year then political signs can be up all year because you are judging it based on the signs Content which is unconstitutional

that guy won by the way

Chester Copperpot
11-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Are there any previous cases that are similar to this, with positive outcomes?

No, because nobody has ever cared about a political candidate this much.

If this Passion translates to votes in the primary... then the establishment be damned.

hopeforamerica
11-18-2007, 07:35 PM
A homeowners association is one thing... that's something you knowingly agree to as part of your deed.

But this sounds like a city ordinance, which sounds to me like an unconstitutional government infringement on protected political speech.

If it's been found that city governments can't prohibit you from cursing in a public park, how could it possibly be permissible to prohibit you from exercising your right to political speech on your own property?

Yes, but ours our Christmas lights, there's no ordinance about that. They have yet to specify which ordinance we are breaking.

PennCustom4RP
11-18-2007, 07:49 PM
I don't know the specifics of your homeowners assoc regs, but my sister had same issue, and her homeowners assoc regs limited any holiday decorations to a specific size and time period allowed to be displayed.

Yes, but ours our Christmas lights, there's no ordinance about that. They have yet to specify which ordinance we are breaking.

I would also take note of other political signs in the area, if theirs remain up uncontested, so should yours, take photos of these, with time stamp.

I'm glad I live in the country, out of the incorporated area of town, their regs do not apply here.

steph3n
11-18-2007, 07:51 PM
I don't know the specifics of your homeowners assoc regs, but my sister had same issue, and her homeowners assoc regs limited any holiday decorations to a specific size and time period allowed to be displayed.

I would also take note of other political signs in the area, if theirs remain up uncontested, so should yours, take photos of these, with time stamp.

I'm glad I live in the country, out of the incorporated area of town, their regs do not apply here.

I am 10 feet from city limits and have a 8x4 sign up now :D

hopeforamerica
11-18-2007, 07:52 PM

There is ONLY Ron Paul stuff in our area. Granted me and my neighbor and that's it. Our neighborhood is infamous for Christmas lights and people travel to come see them. There are people hanging there's as we type. We're not too worried, if we lose the battle, it will be after the primaries are done anyhow :p

ladyliberty
11-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Can you do one of those lightshow houses to the National Anthem or Battle Hymn of the Republic or something? That would be something to "out do" the neighbors with!'

I can imagine 100s of twinkling Ron Paul yard signs, Life- Sized Seighful of Ron Paul Yard Sign "gifts," image of Ron Paul as Santa Claus and eight tiny congressmen! Snowman holding a Ron Paul Yard Sign, "Vote for Ron Paul" spelled out in lights on the roof, animated Ron Paul "running" for president...

I know I am being a fruitcake - but hey I am Ron Paul Supporter - what do you expect??? :D ;)