PDA

View Full Version : Can illegal immigrants vote?

worldsupport
06-21-2007, 07:15 AM
Has anyone else noticed how there are certain candidates trying to appeal to the spanish speaking? Do you think illegal immigrants can vote and do?

http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/illinoisreview/2006/08/can_illegal_imm.html

Gutierrez encouraged illegal immigrants to register to vote.

Can illegal immigrants register to vote?

by Fran Eaton

This immigration issue should remain on the front burner. Yesterday I wrote that Illinois conservatives need to understand the urgency of determining the best way to deal with illegal aliens. It is quickly emerging as one of the top three issues in the 2006 election cycle.

Over the weekend, several hundred immigrant rights leaders gathered in Hillside to discuss blanket amnesty for illegal immigrants and a moratorium on deportations being enforced by the U.S. Dept of Homeland Security.

The conference was conducted completely in Spanish and interpreted through headphones into English. From a Chicago Tribune account . . .

U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.) told participants they must focus on electoral strategies after mobilizing hundreds of thousands in the Loop and elsewhere. Gutierrez said he has given up hope that Congress will pass immigration reform before the November elections.

"It's nice to have marches. I go to all of them," Gutierrez said. "But there is something that has to happen after a march. You register to vote. Congress will only move when it is in fear of losing power."

Gutierrez encouraged illegal immigrants to register to vote.

How does this work? In order to register to vote, the Motor Voter Registration form simply asks the applicant to sign, stating he or she is a citizen of the U.S., 18 years old, a resident of the precinct for the last 30 days and not a felon. On one county form, the Social Security number (or last four digits) is requested. On another county's form, a driver's license number is requested.

I asked a DuPage County elections official how they would check whether a person registering to vote was a citizen of the U.S. She said that they have no choice but to accept the word of the person who registered. If there was any suspicion that the voter was not a citizen of the U.S., an election judge at the polling place could file an objection when he or she comes in to vote.

I asked if there was anything in the new federal Voting Rights Act that would intimidate election judges from objecting to a person's voting qualifications, and she said she couldn't answer that question.

The ramifications of this confusion over election law and its enforcement, as well 22 people working fulltime with the Illinois Coalition for Immigrants and Refugee Rights to register voters for the November 2006 election, should concern anyone interested in ballot integrity and election results.

Bradley in DC
06-21-2007, 07:49 AM
The premise is faulty that if one speaks Spanish they are illegal.

worldsupport
06-21-2007, 07:57 AM
true not all are illegal that speak just spanish however there are alot of people that are illegal that do speak spanish. Why not cater towards other languages?

Illegal immigrants are being encouraged to vote in their chosen officials. Do you not see the problem with this?

Horatio Negersky
06-21-2007, 08:16 AM
"Well at first I didn't believe her, but then suddenly I raised my mano...

And said 'If George Washington was my father, how come he wasn't .. Chicannnnooo....?'"

winston84
06-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Yes, unfortunately there are ways they can vote. One strategy that can be used is simply going to a voting booth and saying they are someone else on the list of registrants, depends if the voting place requires ID. What is suggested is that you goto your registrar and double check records so that people who have died are not amazingly resurrected and are showing up to vote or sending an absentee ballot. I also don't think voting materials should not be printed in any other language besides English, tax money should not be spent to cater to these groups.

Bouhk
06-21-2007, 03:25 PM
I believe that in order to vote you must first be a legal citizen and then learn to speak English!

SeanEdwards
06-21-2007, 03:31 PM
It's not legal, but it is very doable. No reliable identification is required. I've heard audio recordings of union organizers very explicitly explaining to crowds of illegal workers how to get a ballot, and what to vote for.

LibertyEagle
06-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Oh hell, they'll probably pass a bill before the election giving illegal aliens full voting rights anyway. I can just hear it now..... they're doing jobs Americans won't do... they're already living in our country... it is discriminatory not to allow them to vote.

Puke me.

romacox
11-04-2010, 07:45 AM
It is well documented that illegal aliens are voting
http://www.heritage.org/Research/Reports/2008/07/The-Threat-of-Non-Citizen-Voting

In fact, illegals have been found to be holding as many as 5 different drivers licenses under different identities. Thus they can vote as many as 5 times to your one. Politicians have been found explaining to the illegal aliens how to vote, and promising them amnesty for their vote.

FrankRep
11-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Court overturns Arizona's proof of citizenship requirement for voter registration
http://azstarnet.com/news/blogs/pueblo-politics/article_3bbf4f4e-e12c-11df-b57f-001cc4c002e0.html

====

Ruling by U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals Opens Door to Voter Registration Fraud (http://www.janbrewer.com/article/joint-statement-from-governor-jan-brewer-and-secretary-of-state-ken-bennett)

Arizona Governor Jan Brewer (http://www.janbrewer.com/)
October 26, 2010

Joint Statement from Governor Jan Brewer, Secretary of State Ken Bennett

PHOENIX – "The Ninth Circuit Court Appeals has struck down a simple, common sense protection approved by Arizona voters requiring that all individuals provide evidence of U.S. citizenship prior to registering to vote. This decision is an outrage and a slap in the face to all Arizonans who care about the integrity of their elections.

“Arizona voters approved this critical election-security requirement in 2004. We have been vigorously defending its constitutionality and the will of Arizona voters. This law has previously been upheld at every level and by every court, including the 9th Circuit, despite numerous lawsuits and challenges filed by activist groups.

“Today’s decision should not impact the election on Tuesday, but could impact our registration requirements and the integrity of local elections being conducted beginning as early as this spring, as well as statewide elections in 2012.

“That simply cannot be tolerated. Arizona voters have made their will crystal clear – non-citizens do not have the right to vote. We will continue to pursue any and all legal remedies to prevent fraudulent voter registration in the State of Arizona, as well as the right of our state citizens to craft appropriate protections.”

SOURCE:
http://www.janbrewer.com/article/joint-statement-from-governor-jan-brewer-and-secretary-of-state-ken-bennett

romacox
11-04-2010, 07:55 AM
The Union has organized the illegal alien to help in demonstrations and voting. How do you think Harry Reid got reelected ? Look for more of this in the 2012 elections.... this was just a practice run

Bossobass
11-04-2010, 08:07 AM
C'mon, guys, this is the land of the free and the home of the rigged (or stupid) vote, in which:

Dead people vote.

"232 people with death certificates had voted after they had died – some more than once."
http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Dead_people_voting

People vote for dead people.

Zombie Politics: California Elects the Dead
http://reddogreport.com/2010/11/zombie-politics-california-elects-the-dead/

Latinos get 6 votes each:

Federal Judge Stephen Robinson said that violated the Voting Rights Act, and he approved cumulative voting, in which residents got six votes each to apportion among the candidates.
http://www.denverpost.com/nationalpolitics/ci_15304146

Blacks don't get to vote:
The Tampa residents were among hundreds, perhaps thousands, of non-felons in Florida who civil rights lawyers contend were wrongly prevented from voting in the Nov. 7 election after state election officials and a private contractor bungled an attempt to cleanse felons from voter rolls.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A99749-2001May30
But, not to worry in this particular case, because:
Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) and Secretary of State Katherine Harris, who oversees state elections, maintain that problems encountered by voters were unintentional.

What's a few million illegal votes?

Bosso

therepublic
11-04-2010, 09:45 AM
http://www.heritage.org/Research/Reports/2008/07/The-Threat-of-Non-Citizen-Voting

In fact, illegals have been found to be holding as many as 5 different drivers licenses under different identities. Thus they can vote as many as 5 times to your one. Politicians have been found explaining to the illegal aliens how to vote, and promising them amnesty for their vote.

I tried to apply for illegal status so I could get 5 votes to your one, and receive benefits too. ;)

oyarde
11-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Yes they can depending on the state . In many states you just register . At the license branch they can get a state id which is all they would need at the poll even in states that check id at poll .

Zippyjuan
11-04-2010, 12:02 PM

One major flaw with that piece is the assumptions that they make. First they assume that people called to jury duty are also registered to vote. Not necessarily true. In California (and other states) you can get called for jury duty if you got a driver's license OR if you registered to vote. They call jurors from both lists. The second assumption is that they actually go and vote if they are registered.

Winston84-

Yes, unfortunately there are ways they can vote. One strategy that can be used is simply going to a voting booth and saying they are someone else on the list of registrants, depends if the voting place requires ID. What is suggested is that you goto your registrar and double check records so that people who have died are not amazingly resurrected and are showing up to vote or sending an absentee ballot. I also don't think voting materials should not be printed in any other language besides English, tax money should not be spent to cater to these groups.

For that to work, the person would have to know the name and address of a person in their precint registered to vote and get there before that person does- and hope the person at the voter check-in does not know that person. I usually know at least one of the people working my local election.

romacox
11-04-2010, 02:54 PM
One major flaw with that piece is the assumptions that they make. First they assume that people called to jury duty are also registered to vote. Not necessarily true. In California (and other states) you can get called for jury duty if you got a driver's license OR if you registered to vote. They call jurors from both lists. The second assumption is that they actually go and vote if they are registered.

Winston84-

For that to work, the person would have to know the name and address of a person in their precint registered to vote and get there before that person does- and hope the person at the voter check-in does not know that person. I usually know at least one of the people working my local election.

The article says:
n 2005, the U.S. Government Accountability Office found that up to 3 percent of the 30,000 individuals called for jury duty from voter registration rolls over a two-year period in just one U.S. district court were not U.S. citizens.

oyarde
11-04-2010, 03:48 PM
The article says:
n 2005, the U.S. Government Accountability Office found that up to 3 percent of the 30,000 individuals called for jury duty from voter registration rolls over a two-year period in just one U.S. district court were not U.S. citizens.

3 % ? , I would have guessed five .

oyarde
11-05-2010, 06:52 PM
I bet many illegals voted in Clark County Nevada for Senate .