PDA

View Full Version : NY Times article has important facts-Ron "can't fully endorse", for one

sailingaway
08-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Mr. Paul, in an interview, said convention planners had offered him an opportunity to speak under two conditions: that he deliver remarks vetted by the Romney campaign, and that he give a full-fledged endorsement of Mr. Romney. He declined.

“It wouldn’t be my speech,” Mr. Paul said. “That would undo everything I’ve done in the last 30 years. I don’t fully endorse him for president.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/us/politics/ron-paul-passing-torch-to-a-libertarian-legion.html?pagewanted=all

wgadget
08-25-2012, 02:34 PM
God Bless You, Dr. Paul. You remain my hero.

Sematary
08-25-2012, 02:35 PM
God Bless You, Dr. Paul. You remain my hero.

100%
That is why i love Ron Paul.

July
08-25-2012, 02:36 PM
I thought something like that might be the case. He's not going to endorse Romney.

PierzStyx
Damn straight. I hope teh doubters who saw Rand and Ron as the same person will have the humility to confess their mistake and shut up.

CaptainAmerica
Romney can go F himself.

Meatwasp
08-25-2012, 02:37 PM
My hero also.

phill4paul
08-25-2012, 02:37 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/522048_3903262494945_561782446_n.jpg

Indy Vidual
08-25-2012, 02:43 PM
So Rand's speech will be pre-approved by the Mitt.

Tod
08-25-2012, 02:49 PM
What a man! What integrity!

Mini-Me
08-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Epic win...it is crucial that Ron preserves his legacy and goes out fighting. :)

garyallen59
08-25-2012, 03:02 PM
I wish he would have submitted an approved speech and then went off script. It would have been interesting to see anyway.

Dr.3D
08-25-2012, 03:09 PM
I wish he would have submitted an approved speech and then went off script. It would have been interesting to see anyway.
Oh but Ron would never stoop so low as to deceive.

Edit: Unlike those he is running against.

Badger Paul
08-25-2012, 03:11 PM

Of course, you don't think he would be speaking if it wasn't?

sailingaway
08-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Oh but Ron would never stoop so low as to deceive.

I don't mind being 'stuck' with his integrity. What would the point be, otherwise? If they don't have integrity, how can you trust them with power?

Dr.3D
08-25-2012, 03:28 PM
I don't mind being 'stuck' with his integrity. What would the point be, otherwise? If they don't have integrity, how can you trust them with power?
I forgot to add.... unlike those he is running against.

The Freethinker
08-25-2012, 03:42 PM
True to his word to the end.

Never wavering. A stranger to compromise. Means what he says and says what he means.

Dr. Ron Paul! America needs leaders like you. Unfortunately, you're the exception and not the rule.

Dr.3D
08-25-2012, 03:45 PM
True to his word to the end.

Never wavering. A stranger to compromise. Means what he says and says what he means.

Dr. Ron Paul! America needs leaders like you. Unfortunately, you're the exception and not the rule.
He definitely stands apart from the others.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg202/DrThreeDee/NotLikeTheOthers.jpg

Monotaur
08-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Sometimes, I wish Ron Paul were a member here. So I could +rep him. A lot.

sailingaway
08-25-2012, 03:49 PM

I was thinking in terms of a hug, but that works too....

Monotaur
08-25-2012, 03:57 PM

Yeah, seriously, I would thank him. And ask him how he has dealt with being the lone voice of reason for so many years and the criticism it brings. For being alone and fighting for the things he knows are right, even if they are unpopular with many. I really admire him for that.

Some in my local GOP are going to try to get our local party to take a position on something, and I am going to try to argue the opposite position. I'm pretty sure I'll be in the minority (with my wife, of course, and maybe 1 or 2 others), which can be hard. But just a microcosm compared to what Ron has done. For decades. In front of millions.

Cody1
08-25-2012, 04:00 PM

I'm not afraid to admit it as a man, I would give Ron one hell of a bear hug.

Cody1
08-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Yeah, seriously, I would thank him. And ask him how he has dealt with being the lone voice of reason for so many years and the criticism it brings. For being alone and fighting for the things he knows are right, even if they are unpopular with many. I really admire him for that.

Some in my local GOP are going to try to get our local party to take a position on something, and I am going to try to argue the opposite position. I'm pretty sure I'll be in the minority (with my wife, of course, and maybe 1 or 2 others), which can be hard. But just a microcosm compared to what Ron has done. For decades. In front of millions.

Good luck, just remember that no matter how hard they try then can NEVER take away your self respect and integrity.

heavenlyboy34
08-25-2012, 04:07 PM
God Bless You, Dr. Paul. You remain my hero. +a bunch. He's a man amongst a pack of childish Boys That Shave. :cool:

heavenlyboy34
08-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Ditto. :) Nothing unmanly about it. :cool: It's still a norm in Europe.

mport1
08-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Great job Ron!

CPUd
08-25-2012, 05:11 PM

Once he retires, there will no longer be a conflict of interest. I wonder how fast his PM box would fill up.

parocks
08-25-2012, 05:11 PM

I dunno. He'd cut government. We've been getting dishonest people who make government bigger. I guess it's nice to have a "hero" Yay. A hero. The President, however, will suck. Really, really suck. And I think that I'd want a President who doesn't suck. Even if it means that my hero isn't a politician.

I know it's great that we can think of ourselves as Indians and Ron Paul as Gandhi, and everything will be all right later, just like Gandhi. But we're not Indians. We don't have those kind of numbers, and we're never going to have those kind of numbers, and taking it up the butt until colonialism becomes economically inefficient isn't the situation that we're in.

parocks
08-25-2012, 05:13 PM
I forgot to add.... unlike those he is running against.

The one who will be President.

sailingaway
08-25-2012, 05:17 PM
The one who will be President.

so we should just go along because he will be president?

We each have different opinions.

Mine is that along with trying to get the existing keys of power we need to change the system so people who DON'T suck, preferably heroes, have a shot at being elected.

UtahApocalypse
08-25-2012, 05:20 PM

Yep.

I will work even harder to make sure he never is elected again.

Unlike his Dad who has balls of steel and told the GOP to screw themselves and stood on his principles. Rand has NO principles in my book.

Badger Paul
08-25-2012, 05:28 PM
"Some true believers want to “dress in black, stand on a hill and say, ‘Smash the state,’ ” said Mr. Benton, who is married to one of Mr. Paul’s granddaughters. But “it’s not our desire to have floor demonstrations. That would cost us a lot more than it would get us.”

Jesse never ceases to amaze me. If you want to talk about splitting the movement, here you go.

Par for the course though. I suppose coming on these forums every day and seeing "Fuck You Jesse Benton!" or being called a crook and a philanderer probably has ticked him off in some fashion. No doubt this is his response.

Ron of course, never talked bad about his own people. He didn't care who supported him so long as they believe in what he was saying, which was so refreshing. But I as said, the Benton-Olson-Rand complex wants the grassroots out of their hair by 2016 and they'll get it.

Badger Paul
08-25-2012, 05:34 PM
I will say this too, Ron's commitment to what he believes in is a big reason we've been able to endure for so long and why it will continue on into future no matter who the candidate is or what the guise. Just think what would have happened if he had endorsed Romney, for many it really would have been the end. But a man who hangs tough to what he believes in spite everything is a true ray of light in a dark and weary world.

sailingaway
08-25-2012, 05:46 PM
"Some true believers want to “dress in black, stand on a hill and say, ‘Smash the state,’ ” said Mr. Benton, who is married to one of Mr. Paul’s granddaughters. But “it’s not our desire to have floor demonstrations. That would cost us a lot more than it would get us.”

Jesse never ceases to amaze me. If you want to talk about splitting the movement, here you go.

Par for the course though. I suppose coming on these forums every day and seeing "Fuck You Jesse Benton!" or being called a crook and a philanderer probably has ticked him off in some fashion. No doubt this is his response.

Ron of course, never talked bad about his own people. He didn't care who supported him so long as they believe in what he was saying, which was so refreshing. But I as said, the Benton-Olson-Rand complex wants the grassroots out of their hair by 2016 and they'll get it.

it is a straw man, it doesn't take an anarchist to dislike the campaign settlements and direction in RON's campaign. I'm no anarchist and I am very unhappy with it. And suggesting that those who disagree with him just want to make a scene at convention is nonsense. But as you say, he's insulted here plenty, too. And he's not Ron.

Carson
08-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Mr. Paul, in an interview, said convention planners had offered him an opportunity to speak under two conditions: that he deliver remarks vetted by the Romney campaign, and that he give a full-fledged endorsement of Mr. Romney. He declined.

“It wouldn’t be my speech,” Mr. Paul said. “That would undo everything I’ve done in the last 30 years. I don’t fully endorse him for president.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/us/politics/ron-paul-passing-torch-to-a-libertarian-legion.html?pagewanted=all

That brought a well needed overcoming of a smile. Thanks.

S.Shorland
08-25-2012, 06:11 PM
I didn't think he would of course but it's nice to hear it.Rand has a long,long way to go to be half of what his father is.

jolynna
08-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Is is EVER o.k. for a candidate to LIE, or sacrifice principles, because that candidate thinks in the end it will lead to some greater good?

EMPHATICALLY, WITHOUT A QUALM, I SAY NO.

Almost EVERYTHING evil that has ever been done in this world has been rationalized away with THAT excuse.

Nothing I would punish my children for doing is something I think it would be o.k. for the leader of our country to do.

I would SO MUCH RATHER HAVE RON PAUL keep his ideals than to sacrifice them to win a job. Even if the job is leading our country.

YES, I WANT RON PAUL TO BE OUR PRESIDENT.

But, if he lied and compromised on core ideals (like endorsing Romney who is hunky-dory with spy centers, spying and war without cause), he wouldn't be the MAN I thought he was. He'd be like "them". Too many years of "them" got us in the mess we are in. ALL OF US MUST STOP VOTING FOR "THEMS". Or things are just going to get worse and worse and worse and worse.

They'll NEVER change as long as we keep toadying to "them". Why should the PEOPLE WHO ARE RIGHT have to be the ones to change? Why do we have to give in and be corrupt to "fit in" so they'll tolerate us?

You teach people to be decent by showing impeccable decency yourself. Not by "sinking" down to "their low level".

In my opinion.

jolynna
08-25-2012, 06:35 PM
I have read over and over on this site how staying true to "core principles" has made the libertarians lose for 40 years.

Well, I've been a GOOD GOP for 40 years and a lot of those years were under GOP leadership. LOOK AT THE MESS MY GOP PARTY and THE DEMOCRATS have made!! Both have piled bad decision on top of bad decision on top of WORSE decisions. And each leader has been MORE corrupt than the one before. There is NO REAL WAY OUT...the global economy is leveraged to the tune of $700 TRILLION. One bad wind and we topple.

After the 4 years of financial hardship we are about to endure, it won't matter if our next president is Romney OR Obama...and after 4 years of drones and spying and having our streets patrolled by cops that look like members of the gestapo driving tanks and armed humvees...maybe the United States will be ready for the major reset it needs.

Just like addicts have to hit rock bottom before they will consider rehab, our wild-for-easy-fiat-dollar addicted nation is going to have to suffer consequences before they will be willing to stop believing in fake promising liars and will listen to hard truths.

Turning into one of the fake, promising liars won't fix anything...only standing firm for WHAT IS RIGHT and NEEDS TO BE DONE WILL.

I LOVE DR. PAUL FOR GETTING THIS.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE HIM FOR NOT COMPROMISING.

In my opinion

Aratus
08-25-2012, 06:38 PM
is he going to do several partial potus endorsements? the way this is worded
has me thinking he's going to have a press conference like the one in 2008!!!

sailingaway
08-25-2012, 06:41 PM
is he going to do several partial potus endorsements? the way this is worded
has me thinking he's going to have a press conference like the one in 2008!!!

He didn't say he endorsed him in part. He just said he was required to give an unequivocal endorsement, and he wasn't able to do that. At least that is how I read it. He thinks Romney is slightly better on taxes, he has said. He is a family man, which Ron likes. But it doesn't win an endorsement for president.

jolynna
08-25-2012, 07:00 PM
The majority of people won't listen to Dr. Paul now, because Obama & Romney and others that are running for congressional offices are lying their behinds off and saying they have "PLANS" that will get this country out of the economic mess it and the rest of the world is in.

HA! Ain't going to happen.

It is MORE IMPORTANT than ever that SOMEBODY tells the truth. I wish with all my HEART that other politicians would stand by Dr. Paul and admit he is right because I KNOW in their hearts they KNOW he is. I pray every day that SOMEBODY ELSE WILL. As long as Dr. Paul holds firm there is always that chance.

And AGAIN, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, for never wavering on your core principles, Dr. Paul.

PLEASE...OTHER POLITICIANS...stop being wimpy sell-outs and take note of what a REAL MAN with CONVICTIONS DOES.

My own opinion.

jolynna
08-25-2012, 07:17 PM
This forum wouldn't let me give you more reps Sailing. But, you'd be getting tons of them from me tonight if I could.

I admire you and respect that you didn't--not even once--stop trusting Dr. Paul to never give up a single principle.

Anti Federalist
08-25-2012, 07:30 PM

Thank God.

Wish he would have said this a month ago.

SA - I owe you a rep, thanks for posting this.

Anti Federalist
08-25-2012, 07:34 PM
I endorse and approve of these remarks.

I look forward in standing with you and fellow patriots in making sure that, no matter how it happens, Obamney is defeated in November.

Damn straight. I hope teh doubters who saw Rand and Ron as the same person will have the humility to confess their mistake and shut up.

Romney can go F himself.

Of course, you don't think he would be speaking if it wasn't?

+a bunch. He's a man amongst a pack of childish Boys That Shave. :cool:

I will say this too, Ron's commitment to what he believes in is a big reason we've been able to endure for so long and why it will continue on into future no matter who the candidate is or what the guise. Just think what would have happened if he had endorsed Romney, for many it really would have been the end. But a man who hangs tough to what he believes in spite everything is a true ray of light in a dark and weary world.

Brett85
08-25-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm surprised there aren't more comments claiming that Ron "partially" endorsed Romney for President. That may not be what he meant, but I figured there would be more people here who thought that's what he meant.

low preference guy
08-25-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm surprised there aren't more comments claiming that Ron "partially" endorsed Romney for President. That may not be what he meant, but I figured there would be more people here who thought that's what he meant.

so you were in the mood to bash "purist" libertarians as you often do?

sailingaway
08-26-2012, 12:11 AM
This forum wouldn't let me give you more reps Sailing. But, you'd be getting tons of them from me tonight if I could.

I admire you and respect that you didn't--not even once--stop trusting Dr. Paul to never give up a single principle.

I've been listening to him longer than you have, is all.

Thanks, though!

kevini200
08-26-2012, 06:56 AM
Yep.

I will work even harder to make sure he never is elected again.

If you truly mean this, you are an enemy of the liberty movement.
Rand has NO principles in my book. Give me a break. One endorsement, one that carries little weight and will almost undoubtedly NOT affect the outcome of the presidential race, and you are ready to give up (and fight against nonetheless) the liberty movement's greatest champion?

As I sure you have noticed, modern American politics is a corrupt game. The presidency can not be won through pure idealism an honesty. The best we can hope for is the most honest and principled candidate who is willing to make the minimum amount of pragmatic decisions necessary to advance our cause. Rand Paul is our guy.