PDA

View Full Version : Home Owners Associations, evil in your neighborhoods

DGambler
08-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Have you ever gotten into a disagreement with your HOA? HOA’s are tyranny at home and are an integral part of the police state. Run by moral people, they can do good, run by amoral people, they are the tip of the spear for the police state. In different states, there is documented proof of collusion between HOA Boards, management companies, lawyers, and judges to profit on the foreclosure of homes in covenanted communities. The worst states, currently, are California, Arizona, Texas, and Florida.

If you have never been involved in a HOA dispute, you might not realize what you have given away if you live in a covenanted community. Because you have signed a legal contract with a corporation (usually non-profit), you have signed away all of your constitutionally protected property rights, as any dispute is now a contract dispute. If you live in one of these communities, you are living in a private government with no checks and balances. Most homeowners are not aware that they are one Board election away from disaster and are in reality living in a tin pot dictatorship.

Some major issues with HOAs:

NO due process, the Boards can issue a violation against a homeowner and be the one that settles the dispute
Most boards have a lawyer on retainer that they pay for with homeowner yearly dues; if you get in a legal dispute, they are using your money to fight against you and can usually get you to pay any additional legal fees if you fail in court
Covenants are design with the HOA in mind and provide little or no homeowner recourse
Boards, because you are living in a non-profit corporation, can meet in executive session, thus can legislate and plot in private
Covenants are usually drafted by a lawyer and are usually written with excessive obfuscatory technical jargon
Covenants do not specify penalties against board members, managers and lawyers who violate the Covenants
Covenants do not give homeowners the right for access to the financial books and records of the association
When buying a home, the Covenants are presented, but the true intent of them are not stated. If you have never been in a HOA dispute, you do not realize what you are giving away
Association elections can be rigged and the vote count can be done in private
There are usually no term limits for board members
Currently management companies are not bonded in favor of the homeowners
Audits are not mandated, and if they happen, are usually perfunctory and meaningless
Boards can use non-judicial foreclosure to collect delinquent assessments; there are stories in California that Boards have foreclosed for as little as $400 in fees
Currently, Boards can change rules, restrict enjoyment of common areas, and force desired behavior with fines (even if the desired behavior is not listed in the Covenants)

As I live in Georgia, I am most familiar with Georgia law. The Georgia Property Owners Association Act (OCGA 44-3-220 through OCGA 44-3-235) governs Georgia HOAs. Most homeowners are unaware of this act and their covenants merely reference the act, it is seven pages of additional law that govern their home that they are unaware of even exist. As an example, Title 44, Chapter 3, Section 232, Subsection C talks about the right of the Association to foreclose on homes:

OCGA 44-3-232-C (http://www.nhhoa.org/documents/GA_POA_44-3-220.pdf)

Not less than ten days after notice is sent by certified mail or statutory overnight delivery, return receipt requested, to the lot owner both at the address of the lot and at any other address or addresses which the lot owner may have designated to the association in writing, the lien may be foreclosed by the association by an action, judgment, and foreclosure in the same manner as other liens for the improvement of real property. The notice shall specify the amount of the assessments then due and payable together with authorized late charges and interest accrued thereon. Unless prohibited by the instrument, the association shall have the power to bid on the lot at any foreclosure sale and to acquire, hold, lease, encumber, and convey the same. The lien for assessments shall lapse and be of no further effect, as to assessments or installments thereof, together with late charges and interest applicable thereto, which first become due and payable more than three years prior to the date upon which the notice contemplated in this subsection is given or more than three years prior to the institution of an action therefore if an action is not instituted within 90 days after the giving of the notice.

The bolded/underlined section above gives a governing body the right to be the accuser, judge, and jury on your home. They can start foreclosing proceedings for “excessive” fines (as little as $2,500) and buy the house on the courthouse steps out from underneath you. While this might not be a wise move on a house that is underwater, homes that are paid off or close to being paid off would be ripe for the picking.

Furthermore, Covenants can contain some unsettling language as well, such as giving the Board power to decide if a family pet is a danger to the community and taking steps to remedy the situation (such as forcibly removing the pet and putting it down), egress into your home for any safety (as determined by the Board) situation.
I understand that it is difficult to get motivated on something as mundane as a HOA, but I urge everyone to fully read their covenants and by-laws, you might be surprised at what you actually “bought”.

My past neighborhood, that I moved out of due to a dispute with an evil board, tried to modify the covenants to submit us to the Georgia POA (http://www.nhhoa.org/documents/GA_POA_44-3-220.pdf) code and get the following in in the new covenants. Luckily, my wife and I were in dispute and were paying attention. We walked the streets, recruited street captains and knocked on every door of our 900+ home neighborhood. Here are some of the gems they were trying to get passed:

They tried to pass default approval of homeowner non-votes, the exact text was:

If the amendment is not approved or defeated by sufficient vote within 60 days of the amendment notice described above, then the Board may seek to obtain default approval from Owners under this subparagraph. In such case, the Board shall send default approval notice, by certified mail and to the address consistent with the notice provision of the Bylaws, to all Owners who have not returned consents or ballots on a proposed amendment within that 60-day period. Section 17b of the AMENDED AND RESTATED DECLARATION OF COVENANTS, RESTRICTIONS AND EASEMENTS FOR a local neighborhood

In a neighborhood of 900+ homes, the ability to defeat any amendment would be difficult with this rule in place

They tried including language granting the Board or agents of the Board easement onto any lot, the exact text was:

There is hereby reserved to the Association and its designee, an easement and right, but not the obligation, to enter onto any Lot for emergency, life-safety, security and safety. The right may be exercised by the Association's Board of Directors, Officers, agents, employees, managers, and all police officers, firemen, ambulance personnel, and similar emergency personnel in the performance of their respective duties. Except in an emergency situation, entry shall be only during reasonable hours and after notice to the Owner or Occupant. This right of entry shall include the right of the Association to enter a Lot to cure any condition which may increase the possibility of a fire or other hazard in the event that an Owner fails or refuses to cure the condition upon request by the Board. No one exercising the easement and rights granted in this Paragraph shall be liable for trespass, damages, or in any other manner by virtue of exercising such rights. Section 15c of the AMENDED AND RESTATED DECLARATION OF COVENANTS, RESTRICTIONS AND EASEMENTS FOR a local neighborhood

They tried including language granting extraordinary powers over pets, the exact text was:

If the Board determines that an Owner’s or Occupant’s pet endangers any person, the Board, in its discretion, may require that the pet be permanently removed from the Community upon seven days’ written notice to such Owner or Occupant…the Board may remove the pet and/or obtain a court order requiring the Owner or Occupant to do so. Notwithstanding the above, the Board may remove any pet without prior notice to the pet’s owner if, in the Board’s sole discretion, the pet presents an immediate danger to health or safety of any person in the Community. Section 9f of the AMENDED AND RESTATED DECLARATION OF COVENANTS, RESTRICTIONS AND EASEMENTS FOR a local neighborhood

Other things included in the modified covenants that they were trying to pass included:

Including language granting the Board the power to approve/deny lease language between a homeowner and a potential renter and evict said renter for violations
Including language to grant the power of self-help (enforcing provisions) without notice to homeowner and charging homeowner for self-help

Prior to the Board attempting to submit our old neighborhood to the POA, there were already several examples of abuse of power

A neighbor had $500 of unpaid dues, she was unable to pay due to medical reasons, the Board and the HOA attorney assessed an additional $800 fees. The neighbor attempted to pay, because she was $200 short, the HOA garnished her wages, leaving her with $1 in her checking account and no way to pay for food for her children. The current amount she owes the HOA is over $5000. This all began with $500, the rest are penalties and attorneys fees.
A house was struck by lightening and partially destroyed. During the rehab of the house, the homeowners added on an additional room in the attic, because they didn’t seek prior approval, the Board extorted $5,000 from the homeowners by threatening a lawsuit

What to do? Call your state representative and urge them to pass a Homeowner Bill of Rights (https://www.google.com/search?q=homeowner+bill+of+rights) in your state.

If you live in GA, and I’m assuming other states are the similar, according to GA code Title 44, Chapter 5, Section 60, Subsection 2, you could work to terminate your Covenant. “...at least 51 percent of the persons owning plots affected by such covenant shall execute a document containing a legal description of the entire area affected by the covenant…Such document shall be recorded…within two years prior to the expiration of the initial 20 year period or any subsequent 20 year period. The clerk of the superior court shall index the document under the name of each record owner appearing in the document”

donnay
08-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Yep it's the Nazification of America. I absolutely hate HOA. Live Free or Die!

Lafayette
08-24-2012, 07:26 PM
I cannot understand how any sane freedom loving person would want to live under the rule of an HOA, I'd rather sleep in the gutter.

fisharmor
08-24-2012, 08:07 PM
I live in a neighborhood with no HOA.
I know all my neighbors and get along with most of them.
I go to their kids' graduation parties, and my wife and daughter make them cookies.
Their kids all play in my yard.

None of this happened in any of the HOA houses I've lived in.

Anti Federalist
08-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Just shows, once again, that the "private" can tyrannize you just as quickly as the "public".

kcchiefs6465
08-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Never had the 'pleasure' to be associated with one. The thought of a group of people telling me what color I can paint my house etc. sickens me. I never really knew/thought about half of the issues you mentioned. That being said, now I'll never be associated with one.

Agorism
08-24-2012, 08:27 PM
I had to serve as on the top two leadership of one of these things. I didn't even want to do it, but there were either no one willing to or the people who wanted to were incompetent and couldn't handle it.

Anyways, basically you're legally responsible, and people want to sue you. The members don't want to pay their dues. Some members would live elsewhere and hide their mailing addresses etc etc. Some people wouldn't come to meetings and wouldn't pay dues, and then they would suddenly show up after causing problems for months and months, and make a big scene and expect us to respect their opinions even though they were contributing nothing but headaches. I was constantly pulling liens against homeowners, writing them legal notices, threatening to cut their water off. I would trick them into writing me emails that would constitute a legal admission, and then use this against them since they were playing games.

I'm essentially a fascist when it comes to home owners associations because it's impossible to get even the smallest task done with some of these people.

I was the #2 person in command of mine, and I backed the leader 100% of the time on every issue because he was the only person willing to get off his ass and get stuff done.

Of course our group was semi-small not some mega 400 group of homes or something. anyways..

The worst is dealing the renters of the homeowners because they had nothing invested in the area so these people would bring in illegal sattelite companies and drag their cables all over the parking lot or blast their stereos or steal parking spots or whatever.

musicmax
08-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Don't like guns? Don't buy one.
Don't like abortions? Don't have one.
Don't like HOAs? Don't live in a neighborhood that has one.

How fucking hard is that to understand?

kcchiefs6465
08-24-2012, 08:58 PM

I believe he was more informing people, who otherwise might not have known, the types of trouble you can run into with a H.O.A. How fucking hard was that to understand?

pcosmar
08-24-2012, 09:15 PM
I looked into one when buying my first home,, took about 5 minutes to scratch a dozen places off my list.

Never never fuck no,,never.

would bring in illegal sattelite companies

WTF is an Illegal Satellite company? There are Illegal satellites?

Anti Federalist
08-24-2012, 09:17 PM

As kcchief already stated, it is information that perhaps people might not have known about, or have known that the HOA can change the terms of your "agreement" any time it feels like it.

Avoid these things like the plague.

But of course, people being what they are, willingly pay for their own enslavement.

HOA, sail fawns, FarceBook, all eagerly scooped up by Boobus.

Danke
08-24-2012, 09:17 PM
I had a house in a HOA. Their fees plus property taxes were cheaper than those living in the suburbs. I could be on the decision making board if I chose to be involved. But the public schools there did suck, but I don't have kids. I guess I'd rather have low property taxes and more local control, such as road maintenance, plowing, etc. than a government bureaucrat paid with pension making those decisions for me.

Anti Federalist
08-24-2012, 09:21 PM
I looked into one when buying my first home,, took about 5 minutes to scratch a dozen places off my list.

Never never fuck no,,never.

Agreed.

http://gifsftw.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/tracy-morgan.gif

BamaAla
08-24-2012, 09:22 PM
I cannot understand how any sane freedom loving person would want to live under the rule of an HOA, I'd rather sleep in the gutter.

I personally love them. All I need is to sink a million dollars into my home then have a trailer go up on the lot next door or a bunch of undesirables move in down the road and ruin my property value. I don't want to live next door to a house painted purple or a yard full of car parts, so the HOA is a good thing.

donnay
08-24-2012, 09:49 PM
HOA is the best description of how democracy works. Two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.

If the HOA majority decide you need to have a tin roof, even after you paid $10,000 for a new shingle roof five years ago, YOU WILL COMPLY with the majority.

pcosmar
08-24-2012, 10:43 PM
All I need is to sink a million dollars into my home then have a trailer go up on the lot next door or a bunch of undesirables move in down the road and ruin my property value.

Ha,
That won't ruin your property value near as quick a the Bubble bursting.

And mobile home?? really. I owned a Mobile Home worth over Half a $million, in 2005. I sold it cheep a $450,000,, for a quick sale.

there are tic tac homes all over this country in manufactured sub divisions ,,built for $20,000 or less and sold to yuppies for $300,000.

Value, is highly subjective.

Danke
08-24-2012, 10:48 PM
HOA is the best description of how democracy works. Two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.

If the HOA majority decide you need to have a tin roof, even after you paid $10,000 for a new shingle roof five years ago, YOU WILL COMPLY with the majority.

Actually, from my experience, you elect representatives (and they aren't paid). Very local as they are your neighbors, not some distant bureaucrat.

NIU Students for Liberty
08-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Let's not forget their dickish rules concerning lawn care:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuloYX_CHeU

coastie
08-25-2012, 02:05 AM
I owned a lot in one once. Recieved a "Welcome Packet" from the HOA my lot was in( the property was bought by the wife while I was on a deployment ). We had no idea it was a HOA. The rules were as follows(that I recall):

One car in the driveway at a time. Guess you can't have friends or family over.

No working on your cars in your driveway or your garage. lol....wut?

No boats in the driveway (I'm in Florida.....................umm, yeah).

No work on your property without a permit from the county AND the HOA had to approve the work.

No kids allowed to play in the yard.

The list went on, I didn't make any of that up. We cancelled construction of our house there, and immediately sold that property.

A couple of years later, we bought another lot not even 2 miles from the aforementioned place, in a different neighborhood, and struck GOLD:

No HOA, and there will never be one.

Kids play until well after dark with no worries. All neighbors know each other.

It's not uncommon to hear a circular saw fire up at 11 pm on a Tuesday night. It is uncommon for a neighbor not to stop by after hearing your saw fire up....to ask if you need a beer or help-or both.

F*ck HOA's.

QuickZ06
08-25-2012, 02:13 AM
I owned a lot in one once. Recieved a "Welcome Packet" from the HOA my lot was in( the property was bought by the wife while I was on a deployment ). We had no idea it was a HOA. The rules were as follows(that I recall):

No work on your property without a permit from the county AND the HOA had to approve the work.

The list went on, I didn't make any of that up. We cancelled construction of our house there, and immediately sold that property.

A couple of years later, we bought another lot not even 2 miles from the aforementioned place, in a different neighborhood, and struck GOLD:

It's not uncommon to hear a circular saw fire up at 11 pm on a Tuesday night. It is uncommon for a neighbor not to stop by after hearing your saw fire up....to ask if you need a beer or help-or both.

F*ck HOA's.

WTF, so much for being an American and living your life the way you want.

coastie
08-25-2012, 02:36 AM
WTF, so much for being an American and living your life the way you want.

Been that way for years, and its only getting worse....

QuickZ06
08-25-2012, 02:40 AM
Been that way for years, and its only getting worse....

Glad you are in a better place without the nanny rules.

coastie
08-25-2012, 02:45 AM
Glad you are in a better place without the nanny rules.

Me too...too bad the economic realities of today are going to make this nothing but a fond memory in the very near future.:(

Flugel89
08-25-2012, 02:55 AM
I live in a non-HOA neighborhood for a reason.

I do have a funny story though.

I few years back a new next door neighbor put a note in my mailbox. We has a motorhome parked in front of our house, and the note said something about I being unsightly, and that they are reporting it to the HOA (which never existed) and were going to sue us for it. I wrote on the back of the note, "Have fun with that." And placed in on their doorstep.

They moved out within the week.

libertariantexas
08-25-2012, 03:12 AM
I personally love them. All I need is to sink a million dollars into my home then have a trailer go up on the lot next door or a bunch of undesirables move in down the road and ruin my property value. I don't want to live next door to a house painted purple or a yard full of car parts, so the HOA is a good thing.

I scrupulously avoided gated communities (they are nothing but annoying security theater) and anyplace with an HOA.

I don't live in fear of purple houses or trailers, lol.

But I am glad I'm not paying a ridiculous HOA fee each month. We have a voluntary fund that goes to keeping up the public areas, and costs a mere fraction of what HOA Nazis would try to extract.

coastie
08-25-2012, 03:39 AM
I live in a non-HOA neighborhood for a reason.

I do have a funny story though.

I few years back a new next door neighbor put a note in my mailbox. We has a motorhome parked in front of our house, and the note said something about I being unsightly, and that they are reporting it to the HOA (which never existed) and were going to sue us for it. I wrote on the back of the note, "Have fun with that." And placed in on their doorstep.

They moved out within the week.

You have more restraint than me, I would've went and knocked on the door as soon as I got the note, and had a man talk. No violence, mind you, but definitely a man talk. I'm of the "you gotta problem with me, let me know and we'll handle it by whatever means necessary" school of thought.

A fucking note in your mailbox? Why are people such cowards today, and have to use the threat of state monopolized extortion/violence as the first means to communicate with people they live next to?

DamianTV
08-25-2012, 04:48 AM

WTF is an Illegal Satellite company? There are Illegal satellites?

Isnt that when a Satellite moves from being geosynchronous over Mexico and orbits over the United States?

fisharmor
08-25-2012, 08:02 AM

Well, you're certainly free to live in a HOA community, but I suggest that if you have a million dollars to sink into a house, you might want to reserve $40k of that to simply buy the purple house. Or get together with all your other millon-dollar-house neighbors and buy it together. Of course, that would require that you know the others, instead of interacting with them behind a wall of bureaucracy.

I don't live in fear of purple houses or trailers, lol.

Two years ago we freaked the neighbors out a little by telling them voluntarily beforehand that we'd be putting cobalt blue siding up on our house. We even had the contractor go out to the street, and look both ways, and say
"Nobody else in the neighborhood has this color."
"Yeah, that's right."
"Hell, that must be nice."

And since then we've had practically everyone on the street tell us how nice it looks.

Professor8000
08-25-2012, 07:42 PM
HOAs are for people who care more about wealth storage than having a home and building a life. When I build my home, I fully intend to leave it for my children. I don't trust people who value their money over the memories made in a home. I don't get why people will spend so much money on a house so that when they retire they can sell the house and move to Florida and live in a cheaper apartment.

smokemonsc
08-25-2012, 08:01 PM
HOAs certainly aren't for everyone and you MUST do your homework before moving in to a community whether it be a condo or house.

I live in a condo and it works perfect for me. The rules in place are close enough to what I would do on my own and we have strict by-laws that haven't changed in 50 years and require unanimous vote to change. Full of friendly people who act like neighbors. We are a small community (10 units) and are self managed.

I think part of our success has been because of our size, and that we self manage. This condo will (and does) provide me a great avenue for home ownership before I am ready to purchase land that I will build my house on (when I'm ready to start a family).

I spent several hours looking through the by-laws, talking to neighbors, meeting the HOA board, etc prior to making my offer. I felt like I had full disclosure and entered a mutually beneficial arrangement when I bought my place.

Never looked back :)

tl,dr - Why you wouldn't do your homework when purchasing real estate especially is beyond me. HOAs != evil. Evil people are evil......avoid evil people.

John F Kennedy III
08-25-2012, 09:00 PM
I personally would love to live in a purple house.

Or orange.

pcosmar
08-25-2012, 09:31 PM
I personally would love to live in a purple house.

Or orange.

Or,,

http://www.blogcdn.com/realestate.aol.com/blog/media/2012/07/71-cat-pink-home-1341842274.png

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2460/5812326232_6d7db8f242_z.jpg

http://www.hippshelp.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/paint-your-house.jpg

and of course the Purple,, (I could live with that) @ideas

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2608/4128348020_7f5d05b1d3.jpg

I like that house.

John F Kennedy III
08-25-2012, 11:38 PM
Or,,

http://www.blogcdn.com/realestate.aol.com/blog/media/2012/07/71-cat-pink-home-1341842274.png

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2460/5812326232_6d7db8f242_z.jpg

http://www.hippshelp.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/paint-your-house.jpg

and of course the Purple,, (I could live with that) @ideas

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2608/4128348020_7f5d05b1d3.jpg

I like that house.

The purple house looks great. I think I'm gonna buy it and the Hello Kitty house and move them to Bama's neighborhood :D

Acala
08-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Just shows, once again, that the "private" can tyrannize you just as quickly as the "public".

You don't understand the difference. To be "tyrannized" by an HOA you must AGREE to it in a detailed writing. If you don't want that, don't sign up. People who sign up for an HOA and then whine about being tyrannized have only themselves to blame. Real tyranny is forced upon you against your will. HOAs are ALL by consent.

ZenBowman
08-27-2012, 09:31 AM

Exactly.

The Free Hornet
08-27-2012, 10:33 AM
You don't understand the difference. To be "tyrannized" by an HOA you must AGREE to it in a detailed writing. If you don't want that, don't sign up. People who sign up for an HOA and then whine about being tyrannized have only themselves to blame. Real tyranny is forced upon you against your will. HOAs are ALL by consent.

I bought a stand-alone house in an HOA community. It was new, not townhouses , and the HOA fee was $120/year (year). Prior to buying the house, one of the neighbors talked about how they did *NOT* know they were joining an HOA when they bought. My only advanced warning of the HOA was this conversation with the neighbor. No big deal of it was made at closing time.

- realtors have no incentive to advertise the fact (unless you told *your* realtor you don't want to buy into an HOA)
- the paper or papers you sign will be among 30 to 40 other things you sign that day, after you have given earnest money, after you have arranged financing, and after you have made plans to move
- zoning laws can be as bad and sometimes worse (why not argue that you "agree" to Obama care by living in the US?)

My two HOA experiences have not been negative but I do not live in one now and would be disinclined to in the future. Maybe I would *rent* there but not tie the risk and experience of ownership to all my neighbors.

EDIT:

Tell your realtor BEFORE looking at houses (in writing and in person) that you don't want to join an HOA. Tell your spouse. Tell your lawyer (in writing).

DGambler
08-28-2012, 09:25 AM

Guess you didn't read my whole post

My past neighborhood, that I moved out of due to a dispute with an evil board, tried to modify the covenants to submit us to the Georgia POA code and get the following in in the new covenants.

Not everyone is aware of the degree to which you give up your rights to your property living in a covenanted community, which is why I posted this... thanks for the snarky remarks though.

pcosmar
08-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Not everyone is aware of the degree to which you give up your rights to your property living in a covenanted community, which is why I posted this... thanks for the snarky remarks though.

When I bought my first home,, I looked into some when looking for a home to buy.
Did not care for them.. I bought in a neighborhood I knew,, and knew many of my neighbors.

Code enforcement is another thing. Highly arbitrary,, and selectively enforced. And was one of the many reasons for my decision to sell.

My current home is "zoned" Commercial, agriculture, residential, Industrial.
In other words, Anything I damn well please..
;)

donnay
08-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Guess you didn't read my whole post

When my sister bought her condo, she was told, by the realtor, that it was HOA and hyped it up, how great they were--she wouldn't have to shovel snow, mow a lawn, keep up maintenance--etc... She had never been in a HOA and she thought it was a great deal being a single woman an all. I tried to talk her out of it, and I told her she will regret it when they keep upping the dues and demand side funds to be collected for ancillary projects that are not covered in her monthly dues. It's collectivism at it's finest. It has all come fruition. She is now understanding what I warned her about.

PaulConventionWV
08-28-2012, 11:14 AM

Can someone succinctly explain to me what exactly a HOA is? I think my sister belongs to one and her neighborhood is quite nice, Americana at its finest.

PaulConventionWV
08-28-2012, 11:19 AM

I think that's what this thread is for: warning people not to live in HOAs. It's not hard to understand at all.

PaulConventionWV
08-28-2012, 11:26 AM

F*ck HOA's.

That sounds freakin' awesome... fuck HOAs.

No kids allowed to play in the yard, seriously? What good is a freaking yard then?

pcosmar
08-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Can someone succinctly explain to me what exactly a HOA is? I think my sister belongs to one and her neighborhood is quite nice, Americana at its finest.

http://gawker.com/5830257/the-horror-of-homeowners-associations

Oh heck,,too many
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_nf=1&cp=18&gs_id=7&xhr=t&q=hoa+horror+stories&pf=p&safe=off&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=hoa+horror+stories&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=4c5ca94259600d8c&biw=1188&bih=609

scottditzen
08-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Perhaps the best education on HOA's ever...watch this episode before you even think of putting that porcelain fountain in your front yard.

The X-Files: Season 6, Episode 15
Arcadia (7 Mar. 1999)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0751076/

Storyline

Three couples have mysteriously disappeared from a prestigious planned community over a number of years. After the latest disappearance, Mulder and Scully go undercover as a couple to discover the truth about the community. They find that the planned community has strict regulations, with dire consequences for those who do not follow them.

Romulus
08-28-2012, 12:52 PM
^ lol

ctiger2
08-28-2012, 12:53 PM
My sister lives in a HOA area and she loves it. She doesn't want people to be able to do whatever they want to their houses/yards. Everyone agrees to live there by choice so.... Recently she got a letter that her entire house needed to be painted AND she needed to re-sod her backyard. A nice $3K bill for her. good!

John F Kennedy III
08-28-2012, 01:10 PM
My sister lives in a HOA area and she loves it. She doesn't want people to be able to do whatever they want to their houses/yards. Everyone agrees to live there by choice so.... Recently she got a letter that her entire house needed to be painted AND she needed to re-sod her backyard. A nice $3K bill for her. good!

Lol fuck that. I'd never live in a HOA. I'll paint my house if and when I want to.

Romulus
08-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Who needs an HOA when the CITY makes the rules... no Roosters allowed, but you can have barking loud ass dogs. Thank you city govt.

fisharmor
08-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Who needs an HOA when the CITY makes the rules... no Roosters allowed, but you can have barking loud ass dogs. Thank you city govt.

Cops don't like shooting their own kind, so they outlawed fighting cocks.

Weston White
08-28-2012, 02:11 PM
But the control freak people that reside there are just o' so lovely!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEa-OiEOGEM

Really though, if you opted for a HOA then you truly deserve all that you get.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
08-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Even before I knew about "liberty" I hated HOA's.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
08-28-2012, 06:45 PM
With all that said, people have a right to live there if they want. You wont catch me doing it though.

erowe1
08-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Because you have signed a legal contract with a corporation (usually non-profit), you have signed away all of your constitutionally protected property rights, as any dispute is now a contract dispute.

That's what all government should be.