PDA

View Full Version : Romney May Be Nominated Early

cajuncocoa
08-23-2012, 08:24 PM
By JEFF ZELENY (http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/author/jeff-zeleny/)
TAMPA, Fla. – Mitt Romney’s quest to formally win the Republican Party’s presidential nomination may come two days earlier.

Plans are underway for Mr. Romney to be nominated on Monday – not Wednesday as previously thought – because of a potential threat from Tropical Storm Isaac and concerns about a possible disruption during the roll call vote from Ron Paul supporters at the Republican National Convention next week.

It is a change in the script from previous conventions, with the formal nomination on the eve of the acceptance speech. It is a formality, and Mr. Romney will still deliver his acceptance speech on Thursday evening, but the change would carry significance because Mr. Romney could accept general election money sooner.

More: http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/23/romney-may-be-nominated-early/

paulbot24
08-23-2012, 08:31 PM
"The change would carry significance because Mr. Romney could accept general election money sooner." Jesus this election cycle has taught me more about American Economics than politics.

TheGrinch
08-23-2012, 08:32 PM
You gotta be shitting me...

These assholes will do anything to stay in power

kpitcher
08-23-2012, 08:45 PM
The article is even worse a few paragraphs in

Some supporters of Mr. Paul were pushing to make their voices heard during the roll call vote. Mr. Paul, the libertarian Texas congressman whose presidential bid fell short, won a majority of delegates from Iowa, Minnesota and Nevada, but not enough state delegations to require that his name be placed into nomination.

kahless
08-23-2012, 09:11 PM
The Romney campaign is really freaking out to go to such an extent.

While Mr. Paul’s advisers have worked behind-the-scenes with the Romney campaign for months, several supporters have signaled their interest in making their admiration known for Mr. Paul on the convention floor. The Romney campaign has worked through most of the concerns, but leaned toward officially calling the roll of delegates on Monday, when television networks were not planning to broadcast the convention to diminish the potential for any fireworks.

idiom
08-23-2012, 09:41 PM
So much for the revolution being televised.

kpitcher
08-23-2012, 09:46 PM
I can only assume the Dems and other parties will use the delegate problems to their advantage "Remember Republicans in <insert state>, your votes in the primary did not matter AT ALL, were IGNORED, your state wasn't even represented at the convention"

cajuncocoa
08-23-2012, 10:05 PM
I can only assume the Dems and other parties will use the delegate problems to their advantage "Remember Republicans in <insert state>, your votes in the primary did not matter AT ALL, were IGNORED, your state wasn't even represented at the convention"I'm sure they will, but I won't be voting for Dems either.

CPUd
08-24-2012, 12:50 AM
The article is even worse a few paragraphs in

Some supporters of Mr. Paul were pushing to make their voices heard during the roll call vote. Mr. Paul, the libertarian Texas congressman whose presidential bid fell short, won a majority of delegates from Iowa, Minnesota and Nevada, but not enough state delegations to require that his name be placed into nomination.

It's OK to let them keep saying that for a few days- helps keep off a bit of pressure on the other delegations.

jointhefightforfreedom
08-24-2012, 12:56 AM
WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Romney campaign has worked through most of the concerns, but still preferred officially calling the roll of delegates on Monday, when television networks were not planning to broadcast the convention to diminish the potential for any fireworks.

Several Republican officials said scheduling the roll call on Monday allowed Mr. Romney to avoid drawing attention to two potential problems: from Mr. Paul’s supporters and the winds and rain of Isaac. By the time Mr. Romney arrives here in Tampa, aides hope both challenges will have blown over.

devil21
08-24-2012, 02:09 AM
Yall need to check in more. This change in schedule has been known for days now.

affa
08-24-2012, 02:21 AM
the last vestiges of a representative republic are dead.

we were so successful they needed to climb out of their moral sewers, covered in the sludge of corruption and deceit, to get their way. unfortunately, they own the media, play golf with the judges, and are backed by TPTB and all that entails.

We will never win within this system, because this system is a corrupt, disgusting cesspool. It feeds on the profits of war, lays with lady tyranny, and leaves a foul stench in its path.

Oh no, we can't upset the GOP, some of you plead. Fuck the GOP.

tangent4ronpaul
08-24-2012, 02:26 AM
So much for the revolution being televised.

The rEVOLution will be YouTubed!

-t

RickyJ
08-24-2012, 03:07 AM
The rEVOLution will be YouTubed!

-t

It better be or we won't have any evidence of them cheating.

thatpeculiarcat
08-24-2012, 03:19 AM
It better be or we won't have any evidence of them cheating.

We already have plenty of evidence of them cheating, however it seems to make little difference.

jcarcinogen
08-24-2012, 04:55 AM
This was changed two days earlier a week ago and the hurricane was not the cited reason. They specifically said it was to get the nomination out of the way because it was considered 'mundane' and they want to put on a good show for the masses when they get prime time tv coverage. Also Carl Cameron said that if there were any issues with Ron Paul delegates it would be taken care of before the 'big ticket' guys speak. Rand speaks Monday btw.

DamianTV
08-24-2012, 05:21 AM
They are still hoping that we will just "go away". They think that by playing out their formalities early, we will just leave.

We have a job to do. The entire RNC is corrupt to its very core. This may very well be our Last Chance to ever influence the outcome of a political system ever again. We are going there en masse and in force to change the rules to benefit the people, not the money powers, liars, banksters, mainstream media, lobbyists, corporatists, and every enemy of freedom and liberty.

Philosophy_of_Politics
08-24-2012, 05:24 AM
Can we please just make it public and official, that we declare war on the GOP?

I'm tired of playing games. They will either submit to the philosophy of liberty, or we will make them extinct.

Ivash
08-24-2012, 09:32 AM
I can only assume the Dems and other parties will use the delegate problems to their advantage "Remember Republicans in <insert state>, your votes in the primary did not matter AT ALL, were IGNORED, your state wasn't even represented at the convention"

That would probably be ineffective- the average American neither knows nor cares about the delegates. Romney's response of 'I won the most votes and the most states' would put those criticisms to rest.

angelatc
08-24-2012, 09:45 AM

I'm tired of playing games. They will either submit to the philosophy of liberty, or we will make them extinct.

There's a political war IN the GOP. That's different.

I hate that they are doing the roll call off-the-air. Remember last time? Anytime a Ron Paul delegate tried to utter his name, Boehner struck him down hard. It was hard to watch. This year, while it's certainly not what we wanted, will be even better to see.

I wonder if CSPAN will carry it?

DeMintConservative
08-24-2012, 09:48 AM

I think that's a much more serious and honest move than waging a childish guerilla from within. Join the Libertarian party or the Democrats or some other party and good luck.

I'll be waiting to see Ron Paul's ideas making inroads in the Democratic Party, small-government libertarians winning democrat primaries or the Libertarian party growing into a major force in politics.

steph3n
08-24-2012, 09:53 AM
.....Libertarian party growing into a major force in politics.
ha ha ha, sorry, not going to happen!

The 'party' it too inept to go anywhere.

affa
08-24-2012, 12:33 PM
I think that's a much more serious and honest move than waging a childish guerilla from within. Join the Libertarian party or the Democrats or some other party and good luck.

I'll be waiting to see Ron Paul's ideas making inroads in the Democratic Party, small-government libertarians winning democrat primaries or the Libertarian party growing into a major force in politics.

You can't grow a political party like that, in my opinion. By the time it has any power whatsoever, it will be infiltrated and corrupted. It's only pure and true at the grassroots level.