PDA

View Full Version : Deputy: "'Well, I'm sorry (I shot you), you startled me,'

phill4paul
08-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Jennifer Orey is lucky to be alive. The sheriff department press release maintains that she was shot in the arm in the backyard of her residence despite evidence to the contrary. But, cops don't lie. Do they?

Woman Shot By Deputy Remains Hospitalized; Deputy ID'd

Deputy Luke Berhalter Placed On Leave After Shooting Jennifer Orey

SAN DIEGO -- A San Diego County sheriff's deputy who shot a Spring Valley woman in her backyard as he searched for a suspicious man was identified Tuesday.

Deputies were called to the 8900 block of Leigh Avenue shortly before 10:30 p.m. Sunday to investigate a suspicious man seen in the area wearing a ski mask, according to San Diego County sheriff's homicide Lt. Larry Nesbit.

Deputies arrived and determined the man had left the area, walking away in an eastbound direction, Nesbit said in a statement.

While checking for the man one to two blocks away from Leigh Avenue, deputies entered the backyard of a residence in the 200 block of Via Tapia, Nesbit said.

"At some point, while in the backyard of the residence, there was contact between the deputies, who had their weapons drawn, and a female resident of the home," Nesbit said. "During that contact, one of the deputies fired from his service weapon. The female was struck in the arm by the round."

On Tuesday, Deputy Luke Berhalter was identified as the law enforcement officer that opened fire on Jennifer Orey, who is retired from the U.S. Navy.
Orey was a swimmer for the Navy's Air and Sea rescue team and the first woman to earn Wings of Gold, according to family members.

10News learned the sheriff's department placed Berhalter on administrative leave pending an investigation.

Jim Morgan, the shooting victim's brother, told 10News her injuries show that she was shot in the chest, and not in the arm as the sheriff's department reported. 10News learned the bullet went through her left breast, into her arm and through her pinky.

"She's angry they don't want to be held accountable for they did or take responsibility for their actions. She just wants them to own up to their mistake," said Morgan.

Morgan said his sister asked the deputy why he shot her.
"The cop said, 'Well, I'm sorry, you startled me,'" said Morgan.

Orey told her family she remembered the second she realized she was about to get shot.
"She saw the black smoke and the fire coming from the barrel," said Morgan. "When she got shot, her initial reaction was the pain and then she went to put her hand on the officer who shot her and he said, 'Get your hand off me.'"

Orey's father, Dennis Morgan, told 10News on Monday, "I told them I'm really pissed off. I'm pissed off as hell. A cop could have very easily killed my daughter."

San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore told 10News with assurance that Orey had been shot in the arm and that her pinky was "scratched."

Gore said the deputies thought Orey's open gate looked suspicious, so they went into her backyard. The deputies ran into Orey, and one of them had a "spontaneous reaction."

Authorities said they did not know exactly what prompted the shooting. They said Orey did not have anything in her hands and was not armed at the time.
Orey is in stable condition and is expected to be OK.

http://www.10news.com/news/31374150/detail.html

Travlyr
08-23-2012, 08:48 AM
We shouldn't let cops have weapons.

jkr
08-23-2012, 08:49 AM
"service" weapon

SERVING THE CENTRAL BANK SINCE 1913

Origanalist
08-23-2012, 08:49 AM
What's she complaining about? They protected and served the shit out of her. Who knows what that suspicious man seen wearing a ski mask might have done to her?

Ungrateful mundane! Besides, what was she thinking, sneaking up on cops in her back yard and startling them? Don't they have enough stress already?

phill4paul
08-23-2012, 08:50 AM

They also shouldn't be allowed to trespass. They might just 'startle' a home owner one of these days.

Travlyr
08-23-2012, 08:53 AM
They also shouldn't be allowed to trespass. They might just 'startle' a home owner one of these days.

That's a good point. They should have a duly signed warrant, by a judge, in their hand before they step onto private property.

kcchiefs6465
08-23-2012, 09:03 AM
And should the homeowner confront what they believe is a threat it will be Ruby Ridge all over again. Kind of a lose-lose situation now-a-days. No private property rights whatsoever and incompetent thugs, cowards or rather, accomplices, and beuracrats running around with guns and explanations.

pcosmar
08-23-2012, 09:10 AM
And should the homeowner confront what they believe is a threat it will be Ruby Ridge all over again. Kind of a lose-lose situation now-a-days. No private property rights whatsoever and incompetent thugs, cowards or rather, accomplices, and beuracrats running around with guns and explanations.

Don't leave out the complicit Media.
Seldom do they investigate or report independently. They parrot the police statements, and justify their actions.

PaulConventionWV
08-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Jennifer Orey is lucky to be alive. The sheriff department press release maintains that she was shot in the arm in the backyard of her residence despite evidence to the contrary. But, cops don't lie. Do they?

http://www.10news.com/news/31374150/detail.html

How does a bullet go through a pinky? Also, how do you lie about where someone got shot? You'd think it was pretty obvious if they actually took the time to examine her wounds for the official report.

That cop was very rude. You don't shoot people in the left breast and arm. It's rude.

PaulConventionWV
08-23-2012, 09:19 AM
That's a good point. They should have a duly signed warrant, by a judge, in their hand before they step onto private property.

Agreed. They trespassed, shot the owner for no reason, and were generally quite rude.

kcchiefs6465
08-23-2012, 09:26 AM
How does a bullet go through a pinky? Also, how do you lie about where someone got shot? You'd think it was pretty obvious if they actually took the time to examine her wounds for the official report.

That cop was very rude. You don't shoot people in the left breast and arm. It's rude.
A bullet very well could have hit her collar bone, richocheted down her arm, and exited her hand near her pinky. I'm not sure why you are nitpicking semantics of whether it went through her pinky or exited the bottom of her hand. Either way the facts appear clear, a trespassing cop shot a retired Navy rescuer. Is there something I'm missing?

shane77m
08-23-2012, 09:30 AM
What's she complaining about? They protected and served the shit out of her. Who knows what that suspicious man seen wearing a ski mask might have done to her?

Ungrateful mundane! Besides, what was she thinking, sneaking up on cops in her back yard and startling them? Don't they have enough stress already?

LOL

+rep

Origanalist
08-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Agreed. They trespassed, shot the owner for no reason, and were generally quite rude.

It doesn't get much more rude than shooting someone in their own yard. In fact, I would say that goes way beyond my definition of rude. Rude is not letting some one in who has their blinker on.

AGRP
08-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Gun control! Gun control! Gun control!

nvm...Silly me...That doesn't apply to people who wear pretty outfits and shiny badges.

KingRobbStark
08-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Arrogant swine. He should be fired. Hell. I would trust a drug dealer with a gun than a cop. At least they mined their own business.

acptulsa
08-23-2012, 10:54 AM
You are endowed by our Creator with life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness--unless and until you startle a member of the Ruling Class.

Anti Federalist
08-23-2012, 12:01 PM
When she got shot, her initial reaction was the pain and then she went to put her hand on the officer who shot her and he said, 'Get your hand off me.'"

You are never permitted to lay hands on your betters, even after they shoot you.

Foolish Mundane.

Gore said the deputies thought Orey's open gate looked suspicious, so they went into her backyard. The deputies ran into Orey, and one of them had a "spontaneous reaction."

Circular Force Continuum.

Told you it would only be a matter of time before it was people, and not just dogs, getting blown away, each time one of these pussies get spooked.

Acala
08-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Geez you guys . . . he SAID he was sorry. She shouldn't have been in her backyard anyway.

Philhelm
08-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Wow, this whole story is like ass in your face. I'd go so far as to say that the actual shooting is the least egregious part of this story. "Get you hand off me?" "Well, I'm sorry, you startled me?" The damned arrogance is more angering than the actual deed.

angelatc
08-23-2012, 01:31 PM
San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore told 10News with assurance that Orey had been shot in the arm and that her pinky was "scratched."

Inside his head, he added "Don't be such a baby. In fact, it's practically an honor to be shot by 'The Finest.'"

Lucille
08-23-2012, 01:36 PM

Especially ones who shoot when "startled." Honestly, how he thinks that helps his case is beyond me.

Original_Intent
08-23-2012, 01:44 PM
I am grateful every interaction I ahve ahd with police (very few, traffic violations and such) have been overall very respectful (both directions) and very positive. I realize even here in Utah we ahve some bad apples, but this wouldn't be tolerated here.

I'm not defending the police state mentality; we definitely need to replace POLICE OFFICERS with PEACE OFFICERS and JUDGES with JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.

In other words, only have any business with people who are disturbing the peace of others. Instead of POLICING the MUNDANES.

acptulsa
08-23-2012, 01:53 PM
'...a scratch on the pinkie.'

If it had happened to a police officer, it would have been announced, and thence duly reported, as '...wounded in the hand.'

Not that there's a double standard at work or anything.

moostraks
08-23-2012, 01:58 PM
You are never permitted to lay hands on your betters, even after they shoot you.

Foolish Mundane.

Circular Force Continuum.

Told you it would only be a matter of time before it was people, and not just dogs, getting blown away, each time one of these pussies get spooked.
I was thinking this exact same thing when I read the op...

Wow, this whole story is like ass in your face. I'd go so far as to say that the actual shooting is the least egregious part of this story. "Get you hand off me?" "Well, I'm sorry, you startled me?" The damned arrogance is more angering than the actual deed.

ain't that the truth...

thehungarian
08-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Silly cop, shoot to kill then we don't have these unfortunate "messes" to clean up where the victim talks to the media and then the cops have to defend themselves.

But really, why the fuck would the paper even care about what the police "think" the injuries were? Do we not have doctors who treated the wounds who could give a first-hand account?

"Tis but a pinky scratch!"

"Uh, well actually you shot her in the chest."

"Balderdash, I say!"

phill4paul
08-23-2012, 03:15 PM
I am grateful every interaction I ahve ahd with police, goovnah

Lol. Bustin' yer balls, but not being a grammar Nazi. I re-read that in an Dickensian 'Oliver Twist' accent.

angelatc
08-23-2012, 03:56 PM
'...a scratch on the pinkie.'

If it had happened to a police officer, it would have been announced, and thence duly reported, as '...wounded in the hand.'

Not that there's a double standard at work or anything.

My 17 year old said "Wow, can you imagine what we'd be reading if the homeowner had been armed, and shot a cop that startled her? Probably would be facing attempted murder charges."

phill4paul
08-23-2012, 04:00 PM
My 17 year old said "Wow, can you imagine what we'd be reading if the homeowner had been armed, and shot a cop that startled her? Probably would be facing attempted murder charges."

Your 17 yr old son gets it. That is exactly what would have happened. How about if she armed herself? It would have been multiple shots and they would claim that she refused to drop her weapon.

alucard13mmfmj
08-23-2012, 04:02 PM
are police not trained to shoot at center mass? either the cop was a bad shot, shot accidently or someone is lying.

Philhelm
08-23-2012, 04:05 PM
I would just like to say that I will not be making any donations to the policeman's ball.

pcosmar
08-23-2012, 04:05 PM
are police not trained to shoot at center mass? either the cop was a bad shot, shot accidently or someone is lying.

I'll take "All of the Above" for 1000 Alex.

satchelmcqueen
08-23-2012, 04:56 PM
' the home owner drew their terrorist weapon and shot the cop who had ""secured for safety purposses"" the attackers backyard without permission".

youngbuck
08-23-2012, 09:45 PM
I guess next time somebody spooks me, I'll be justified in shooting them. If questioned, my defense will be "sponteneous reaction." You couldn't make this crap up. Some cops are quite literally rabid swine.

I hope she sues the hell out that department and the deputy himself.

QuickZ06
08-24-2012, 12:46 AM
"When she got shot, her initial reaction was the pain and then she went to put her hand on the officer who shot her and he said, 'Get your hand off me.'"

Seriously, WTF!

QuickZ06
08-24-2012, 12:48 AM
I guess next time somebody spooks me, I'll be justified in shooting them. If questioned, my defense will be "sponteneous reaction." You couldn't make this crap up. Some cops are quite literally rabid swine.

I hope she sues the hell out that department and the deputy himself.

Well if that is the case then this halloween is going to get bad. I would say buy your kids a bag of candy and stay home, or else more these "startling stories" will pop up. This cop makes me throw up.