PDA

View Full Version : Va. guardsman faces terrorism charge in W.Va.

Lucille
08-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Va. guardsman faces terrorism charge in W.Va.
http://www.militarytimes.com/news/2012/08/ap-virginia-guardsman-faces-terrorism-charge-west-virginia-082112/?fb_comment_id=fbc_10151021595623595_22969488_1015 1022675278595#f10e4cb83c

The Associated Press
Posted : Tuesday Aug 21, 2012 19:29:11 EDT

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. — A West Virginia man arrested while running in desert camouflage with an AR-15 training rifle is a member of the Virginia National Guard who served a tour of duty in Iraq, and his father says he’s not a terrorist.

Stephen Alemar tells The Hagerstown Herald-Mail that he believes his 23-year-old son, William Alemar, was just trying to stay in shape for his next military assignment when he was arrested near two Martinsburg schools on Monday.

William Alemar was charged with committing a terrorist act after police found him carrying two knives and ammunition clips, and wearing a bulletproof vest.

Alemar remained in the Eastern Regional Jail on Tuesday on $50,000 bond.

Defense attorney Kevin Mills said his team is currently evaluating whether Alemar may be suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, and it’s requested records from his service overseas.

Alemar’s father, meanwhile, said his son didn’t mean any harm.

“He’s not a terrorist,” he said. “He’s not a bad kid.”
[...]
Martinsburg police discovered after they arrested Alemar that the gun he was carrying fires pellets, not live rounds.

A search of Alemar’s home found additional military equipment, which police seized as evidence.

Yet they still charged him. What "terrorist act" did he commit exactly? He wasn't doing anything but running! He's in the military, which is no doubt why he had military equipment in his home. Even his own lawyer is trying to dx him w/ PTSD, for running!

h/t to a commenter here:

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2012/08/21/marine-held-for-facebook-posts-veterans-today-offers-full-support/

VoluntaryAmerican
08-22-2012, 10:20 AM
What "terrorist act" did he commit exactly?

We are all terrorists. It is only a matter of time before they find you, me, and most people on this board.

phill4paul
08-22-2012, 03:14 PM
We are all terrorists. It is only a matter of time before they find you, me, and most people on this board.

About right. And I'd be willing to bet that the gun did not fire 'pellets.' More than likely it was an air-soft rifle.

jbauer
08-22-2012, 03:17 PM

To be fair all they'd have to do is look up everyone's ip address so it shouldn't take 'em to long after November to round us all up.

Lafayette
08-22-2012, 05:50 PM
No doubt the local PD received many a call from "concerned" citizens seeing something and saying something. It seems to me their should be manhy more arrests for filling false reports and a little less "terrorism" charges going around.