PDA

View Full Version : Consider keeping Bernanke, top Romney adviser says

Lucille
08-22-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm not shocked. How many more ways does he have to tell us that he doesn't want our votes?

ROMNEY FALLS INTO LINE
http://www.theburningplatform.com/?p=39396

Absolutely shocking news. The owners want to keep Bernanke as Fed Chairman. I wonder why? Remember tough guy Romney during the debates trying to steal Ron Paul’s thunder by trashing Bernanke and declaring he would get rid of him. It seems Mittens has changed his mind again. New boss is the same as the old boss. Keep believing political parties matter. Your owners will dictate who wins and who is retained to keep the status quo. Change we can’t believe in.
[...]
(Reuters) – Ben Bernanke received an unlikely defense of his work at the U.S. Federal Reserve by a top Mitt Romney adviser, who said on Tuesday that he should be considered for a third term as chairman.

Glenn Hubbard, economic adviser to the Republican presidential candidate, said he would advise a possible President Romney that Bernanke should “get every consideration” to stay on beyond January 2014, when the chairman’s current term expires.

The comments may come as a surprise given Romney has said he would not reappoint Bernanke beyond 2014. Further, many top Republicans have blasted the Fed’s aggressive policies since the Great Recession as overreaching and reckless.

“Ben is a model technocrat. He gets paid nothing for getting kicked around all the time. I think they ought to pat him on the back,” Hubbard said in an interview, adding he has known Bernanke since they were “practically kids” and regularly speaks to him.

“I may or may not agree with him, but that’s very different from saying I question his motives. I wish politicians would stop doing that,” Hubbard told Reuters TV. (Reuters TV interview: reut.rs/SPSy4f )

The comments from Hubbard – who himself was considered for the Fed chairmanship under former President George W. Bush, who ultimately picked Bernanke – suggests there is at least some support for the head of the U.S. central bank within the Romney camp as it battles to unseat President Barack Obama.
[...]
Romney has said QE3 would not do much economic good, and he too backed an audit of the Fed, though it is unclear whether he would want to extend that to monetary policy – as Ryan does – which could be seen as undermining the central bank’s independence.

Hubbard, who was chairman of the White House Council of Economic Advisers under Bush, said Congress is right to consider forcing the Fed to explain policy decisions. But “the idea of putting them more under the microscope of literally auditing decisions – I don’t think so,” he said.

How's that for choice, America? You can vote for the Welfare-Warfare-Police Statist in the blue jersey, or the Welfare-Warfare-Police Statist in the red jersey, both of which are loyal members of the Bank Party.

VoluntaryAmerican
08-22-2012, 10:18 AM
No suprise here.

Hopefully this news might wake up some Tea Party folk.

NIU Students for Liberty
08-22-2012, 12:07 PM
But Romney supports an audit of the fed. Kind of.

It's all good!

Matt Collins
08-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Even Ron says it's not really Bernenke, it's the system itself. It could be anyone in that seat, but that isn't where the problem lays. The problem is that that seat exists at all!

sparebulb
08-22-2012, 07:46 PM
I think that it will be utterly breathtaking about the amount of no-change a Romney presidency will bring. I'm also expecting that Romney's new presidential dog will release a Christmas video like Bush's dog, Barney, did.

jbauer
08-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Well that'll do it. Time to vote for Obama :eek:

GeorgiaAvenger
08-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Actually, no.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/08/23/romney_says_he_would_not_reappoint_fed_chairman_be n_bernanke.html

Seraphim
08-23-2012, 07:32 PM
This.

An angel could occupy the seat and it would still have demonic consequences.

Even Ron says it's not really Bernenke, it's the system itself. It could be anyone in that seat, but that isn't where the problem lays. The problem is that that seat exists at all!

QuickZ06
08-24-2012, 12:55 AM
“I would like to select ... a new person to that chairman position, someone who shared my economic views, someone that I thought was sympathetic to the needs of our nation and I want to make sure that the Federal Reserve focuses on maintaining the monetary stability that leads to a strong dollar, and confidence that America is not going to go down the road that other nations have gone down to their peril," Romney said.

OXYMORON to the extreme.

luctor-et-emergo
08-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Hey, at least Bernanke is the kind of regular guy that does his own shopping...

More seriously, why would they say something like this pre-election ?
Is this the Etch-a-Sketch working overtime ?

QuickZ06
08-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Also in that video Romney talks about states taking responsibility for permitting on "federal lands" as it takes almost a year to get permits out ......but he slips in at the end (real fast) "that the process is still going to have to be approved by the federal government", drum roll........as I am sure it will take up to a year, thus meaning crap. SOB. How much you want to bet most republicans will only hear, ooh ahh, Romney for more state rights and responsibly but yet overhear that last tid bit of information?

DamianTV
08-24-2012, 05:27 AM
It should be more obvious now than ever to the people of this country that both Romney, his so called "advisors" and the entire fucking Republicrat Party are the enemy of the Free People of this once great nation. By both their words and their actions. And their king is the fucking Federal Reserve Bank, the destroyer of this country. Maybe we should just petition to have just the name of the bank changed to Bank of Gozer...

Luciconsort
08-24-2012, 06:50 AM
might as well keep him... if Romney won and decided to swap Uncle Ben out with some other joker, I doubt that person would be any better....

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
08-24-2012, 08:02 AM
“Ben is a model technocrat. He gets paid nothing..."

lol. Right... he lives in a van down by the river.

Bern
08-24-2012, 08:06 AM
Enact HR 1098 and it doesn't matter who is the Fed Chairman.

Lucille
08-24-2012, 01:55 PM
"Someone?" He doesn't know? No doubt he's waiting for his neo-Trot handlers to tell him who will be the country's most powerful central planner under his regime.

Frankly, I think the only thing this guy actually knows is that he wants to be president.

Kodaddy
08-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Flip-flop-flip-flop-flip-flop-flip......
...ad nauseum...

Travlyr
08-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Enact HR 1098 and it doesn't matter who is the Fed Chairman.
That is all it would take.