PDA

View Full Version : "RP activists uneasily embrace GOP"?

Valli6
08-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Odd title.

Ron Paul activists uneasily embrace GOP
Published: 8:38 AM 08/22/2012 By W. James Antle III

After the New Hampshire primary, Grover Norquist made a bold prediction. “If Ron Paul speaks at the GOP convention (as he was not invited to do in 2008), the party will be united and Romney will win in November 2012,” the anti-tax crusader wrote in the Guardian. “If Ron Paul speaks only at his own rally in Tampa, Florida (as happened at the 2008 GOP convention in Minnesota) the party will not be at full strength.”

Republican convention planners decided to split the difference. Paul’s son, Kentucky Republican Sen. Rand Paul, will have a prominent convention speaking slot. Delegates are also likely to see a video paying tribute to Paul, the 12-term libertarian-leaning congressman from Texas who received more than 2 million votes for president in the 2012 GOP primaries.

Ron Paul is splitting the difference too. He will be holding a rally on Sunday at the University of South Florida’s 11,000-seat Sun Dome, separate from the Republican National Convention. But he and his supporters will also be working inside the convention hall to maximize their influence on the GOP.........

hxx://dailycaller.com/2012/08/22/ron-paul-activists-uneasily-embrace-gop/

Origanalist
08-22-2012, 08:41 AM
At this point it's more like a ten foot pole than an embrace.

cajuncocoa
08-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Not even a ten foot pole could get me to embrace them.

thoughtomator
08-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Keep your friends close...

Icymudpuppy
08-22-2012, 09:10 AM
No more Republican Party for me.

If Ron wins the nomination, I'll vote for Ron, but no-one else.

I am going to put all my political efforts into getting Libertarians elected to local offices.

Liberty74
08-22-2012, 09:30 AM
No more Republican Party for me.

If Ron wins the nomination, I'll vote for Ron, but no-one else.

I am going to put all my political efforts into getting Libertarians elected to local offices.

I agree but don't ignore a libertarian Republican running for whatever office. I'm sure there are many running at the state levels as there is in my DE district.

SilenceDewgooder
08-22-2012, 10:01 AM
I agree but don't ignore a libertarian Republican running for whatever office. I'm sure there are many running at the state levels as there is in my DE district.

why do people vote for parties? The current Democratic party was formed from the original Republican party and the current Republican party grew from the Whig party. If the Liberarian Party grows in popularity, eventually it will split too as history has demonstrated repeatedly..

vote for people, not parties...

sailingaway
08-22-2012, 10:02 AM
Rand is not 'splitting the difference' he is an entirely different person.

Chester Copperpot
08-22-2012, 10:12 AM
why do people vote for parties? The current Democratic party was formed from the original Republican party and the current Republican party grew from the Whig party. If the Liberarian Party grows in popularity, eventually it will split too as history has demonstrated repeatedly..

vote for people, not parties...

Ben Franklin wrote about this very same thing back in the day with the trouble with political parties as once the main objective of the party is reached, the party splits into various little petty objectives by various people in the party.

Im sure with your namesake you're already aware of this.

Badger Paul
08-22-2012, 10:15 AM
A good journalist would be in Tampa covering the different factions of Paul movement instead of assuming everyone's "all in" and just waiting for Rand's speech Monday.