PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Food drive

Wyurm
11-18-2007, 02:34 PM
We've already done a few canned food drives. I think they set a great example for others and they demonstrate one of the key qualities of Dr. Paul, concern for others in need. I'm starting the thread now because the more time available, the better the result. However, don't forget there is a Thanksgiving food drive as well (I don't have the addy). I think working with a national charity to distribute the food would work best. What do you think?

kylejack
11-18-2007, 02:37 PM
A bit late to mobilize effectively for Thanksgiving, but Christmas sounds good. We have the media eye on us now, and I suspect they're looking for human interest stories like this. It can be followed on New Year's Eve with a money bomb to close out Q4.

Wyurm
11-18-2007, 03:04 PM
A bit late to mobilize effectively for Thanksgiving, but Christmas sounds good. We have the media eye on us now, and I suspect they're looking for human interest stories like this. It can be followed on New Year's Eve with a money bomb to close out Q4.

I'm not sure how long ago the Thanksgiving one was set up, but it struck me as a really good idea to carry over to christmas.

literatim
11-18-2007, 03:06 PM
This would need to be an active effort by the Meetup groups. I personally like the idea of helping those in need.

Edward
11-18-2007, 03:37 PM
The Thanksgiving food drive can be found here: www.ronpaulthanksgiving.com

Despite the potential for generating great publicity for a group of "fringe" grassroots supporters, I'm not sure why the food drive idea just doesn't seem to take off.

AdoubleR
11-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Good idea!

A Ron Paul Rebel
11-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Is there a day for the Christmas Food Drive yet?

Lici
11-19-2007, 04:42 PM
http://www.freedomtogive.org

I'm attempting to organize Ron Paul Supporters nationwide to hold regular food drives while furthering the social/political message that individuals play a greater role in fighting hunger and poverty when the government isn't playing the welfare state. I'll start a new thread about this soon!

--Lici

Edward
11-19-2007, 05:58 PM
http://www.freedomtogive.org

I'm attempting to organize Ron Paul Supporters nationwide to hold regular food drives while furthering the social/political message that individuals play a greater role in fighting hunger and poverty when the government isn't playing the welfare state. I'll start a new thread about this soon!

--LiciThanks for starting this. If this is going to take off prior to the Tea Party or Christmas, a date needs to picked soon and placed on the front page of your website.

NoxTwilight
11-19-2007, 06:36 PM
I have already suggested to my meet up group to do this for Christmas - at least one big drive at a high traffic grocery store. I have contacted our local food bank to work with them. Should be a great way to spread the Ron Word as well as help our community.

This weekend we'll be in our local Christmas parade :D Should be good fun!

Edward
11-19-2007, 07:06 PM
I have already suggested to my meet up group to do this for Christmas - at least one big drive at a high traffic grocery store. I have contacted our local food bank to work with them. Should be a great way to spread the Ron Word as well as help our community.

This weekend we'll be in our local Christmas parade :D Should be good fun!Which Meetup are you in? Perhaps we could coordinate something.

Lici
11-19-2007, 09:40 PM
If this is going to take off prior to the Tea Party or Christmas, a date needs to picked soon and placed on the front page of your website.

Thank you Edward. I have taken your advice and put an information box on the home page with dates of upcoming food drives, but we still have not picked a final date on the one after Thanksgiving.

Now the question is, do we want to have it close to Christmas (say, in the week leading up to it), or do we want to have it sometime around the middle of the month (the week after the tea party or so)? Both would have their pros and cons, but I'm sure we can work out what's best for everyone.

--Lici

Edward
11-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Thank you Edward. I have taken your advice and put an information box on the home page with dates of upcoming food drives, but we still have not picked a final date on the one after Thanksgiving.

Now the question is, do we want to have it close to Christmas (say, in the week leading up to it), or do we want to have it sometime around the middle of the month (the week after the tea party or so)? Both would have their pros and cons, but I'm sure we can work out what's best for everyone.

--LiciI saw that you updated it. Good work! It might be a good idea to get some feedback from the December 15th Events & December 16th Donations forum to see what might work best. Maybe I'll post a poll there to get some discussion going.

NoxTwilight
11-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Which Meetup are you in? Perhaps we could coordinate something.

Napa - I have emailed the Napa Food Bank to see if we can work with them as they have a pick up service and can distribute the food locally.

We will probably do at least one large drive at a high traffic grocery store - I am hoping for the main Safeway here in town. We might also do some others if we can swing it along with our other activities.

Any idea's you have would be great although I doubt I will be able to get any of my group to go out of town to do it ;)

Edward
11-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Now the question is, do we want to have it close to Christmas (say, in the week leading up to it), or do we want to have it sometime around the middle of the month (the week after the tea party or so)? Both would have their pros and cons, but I'm sure we can work out what's best for everyone.I've posted this poll in the 12/15 - 12/16 forum:

What would be the best day to hold the nationwide Christmas Food Drive? (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=39240)

Related poll: Would you participate in a nationwide food drive? (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=36160&highlight=food+drive)

The Jam
12-17-2007, 12:29 AM
I'm bumping this and pasting a message I wrote in another thread. It seems that great minds think alike. Here's why I think this is a killer idea:

You know what the press and skeptics always chide us on? That our libertarian ideals are rooted in fantasy. That, despite all of our talk of the potential for regular people to help those in need (rather than a large federal government diluting funds and spreading apathy), we are truly out for ourselves, and want a smaller government for selfish reasons.

The best way I can think of to ebb that tide of thinking is pretty simple: what if we did a Ron Paul Food Drive for Christmas? I know it won't put any more money in the pockets of the campaign, but it's a great example of how we intend to take care of those in need if government support is removed. It's a preview of the future Ron Paul Presidency, and the action of its people; and it's another way for people to get excited about just what we're capable of.

I'm not dead set on a food drive specifically, but does anyone have a certain charity act in mind that all of our meetup groups could head up? I feel like it's worth strong consideration.