PDA

View Full Version : Agencies tamp down speculation over hollow-point ammo purchases

Anti Federalist
08-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Actually, InfoWars speculated that the last order for 750 million rounds, that DHS later classified, might be the sign that the government is ramping up its war on us.

Agencies tamp down speculation over hollow-point ammo purchases

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/17/agencies-tamp-down-speculation-over-hollow-point-ammo-purchases/#ixzz24DxZvcZK

Obscure federal agencies triggered a firestorm of conspiracy theories this week after they put out orders for thousands of rounds of deadly hollow-point bullets.

But the agencies, most recently the Social Security Administration, are trying to put a damper on the speculation -- noting the ammunition is "standard issue" and simply used for mandatory federal training sessions.

"Our special agents need to be armed and trained appropriately," said a message on the official blog for Social Security's inspector general office explaining the purchases.

The bullet purchases drew widespread attention as the website Infowars.com published several stories on them that were linked off the widely read Drudge Report and other sites. Infowars.com catalogued a string of recent purchases -- first by the Department of Homeland Security, then by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and then the Social Security Administration.

The Social Security Administration solicitation, posted Aug. 7, called for 174,000 rounds of ".357 Sig 125 grain bonded jacketed hollow point pistol ammunition."

Infowars.com speculated that the purchases were being made in preparation for "civil unrest," imagining a scenario of economic collapse where seniors could cause "disorder" if denied their Social Security benefits.

But the Social Security Administration statement, posted Thursday, noted that their agents need firearms and ammo in the course of training, investigations and responding to threats against offices and employees.

"As we said in a recent post, our office has criminal investigators, or special agents, who are responsible for investigating violations of the laws that govern SSA's programs," the office said.

The agency said it has 295 special agents across 66 offices in the country. "These investigators have full law enforcement authority, including executing search warrants and making arrests," the statement said.

As for concern about the type of bullets -- hollow points, which expand upon impact -- the statement said the type is "standard issue" and is used during "mandatory quarterly firearms qualifications and other training sessions."

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or NOAA, found itself scrambling to respond to a similar report this week about an order for 46,000 rounds of ammo. Though the agency initially indicated it was for the National Weather Service -- leading to questions about why the National Weather Service could possibly need so many bullets -- a spokesman clarified the bullets are actually meant for the NOAA Fisheries Office of Law Enforcement. A "clerical error" resulted in the order saying the ammo was for the weather service.

Spokesman Scott Smullen said the error's been fixed in the bidding system. He, too, said the ammo is "standard issue" and will be used by 63 enforcement personnel at NOAA during qualifications and training sessions.

"NOAA officers and agents enforce the nation's ocean and fishing laws to ensure a level playing field for fishermen and to protect marine species like whales, dolphins and turtles," he said.

According to NOAA, the specialized agents are supposed to have 200 rounds in their "duty bag," and qualification and training requires another 500-600 rounds per agent.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/17/agencies-tamp-down-speculation-over-hollow-point-ammo-purchases/#ixzz24DwqgQso

coastie
08-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Oh....I'm glad they "tamped" that down for me, I was getting worried for a second.

/s

Anti Federalist
08-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Oh....I'm glad they "tamped" that down for me, I was getting worried for a second.

/s

All is well, comrade.

Kotin
08-21-2012, 06:28 PM
All is well, comrade.

It always cracks me up when you say "comrade"

Fuckin' A

Anti Federalist
08-21-2012, 06:39 PM
It always cracks me up when you say "comrade"

Fuckin' A

Now, imagine me saying it in Boris the Bullet Dodger's voice from "Snatch".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpfN_4WdqUU

tangent4ronpaul
08-21-2012, 06:52 PM
As for concern about the type of bullets -- hollow points, which expand upon impact -- the statement said the type is "standard issue" and is used during "mandatory quarterly firearms qualifications and other training sessions."

BULLSHIT!

No one uses hollow point ammo for target practice!

The DHS order in particular was wwwaaaayyyy too much ammo even if they trained every last receptionist, janitor, artist, dishwasher, etc on their payrole. 1.2 BILLION bullets for 230,000 employees.

The gvmt is lying, as usual...

-t

Brian4Liberty
08-21-2012, 07:14 PM
But the Social Security Administration statement, posted Thursday, noted that their agents need firearms and ammo in the course of training, investigations and responding to threats against offices and employees. ...

So let's get this straight. The Social Security Administration has it's own armed Police force for it's own protection? Isn't that nice. Does every government Department get it's own Police force? Seems like most large companies have many Divisions and Departments. Should they all get their own Police forces too? Can I have my own private Police officer to protect me? Oh yeah, such luxuries are reserved for those who are spending taxpayer money...

Dr.3D
08-21-2012, 07:23 PM
BULLSHIT!

The DHS order in particular was wwwaaaayyyy too much ammo even if they trained every last receptionist, janitor, artist, dishwasher, etc on their payrole. 1.2 BILLION bullets for 230,000 employees.

-t
Anybody who would buy $800 toilet seats would most likely buy the most expensive ammo to use for target practice.

QuickZ06
08-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Anybody who would buy $800 toilet seats would most likely buy the most expensive ammo to use for target practice.

True story.

phill4paul
08-21-2012, 07:26 PM
So let's get this straight. The Social Security Administration has it's own armed Police force for it's own protection? Isn't that nice. Does every government Department get it's own Police force? Seems like most large companies have many Divisions and Departments. Should they all get their own Police forces too? Can I have my own private Police officer to protect me? Oh yeah, such luxuries are reserved for those who are spending taxpayer money...

The local Wal-Mart get's its taxpayer paid for 'Skywatch.'

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4843435315037572&id=c4b4fbf189c79f55b5314a259691b89f

idiom
08-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Isn't hollow point banned for military use? Their deployment is a war crime.

Danke
08-21-2012, 07:55 PM
BULLSHIT!

-t

Actually they do. Train with the ammunition you will use.

Trust me on this one.

specsaregood
08-21-2012, 07:57 PM

The real journalism would be in looking into who got the kickbacks and bribes for this order.

pcosmar
08-21-2012, 08:05 PM

If they don't call them military,, and the police action is not a war,,,

aren't semantics fun?

No, seriously,,they are strictly for domestic use.

ghengis86
08-21-2012, 08:14 PM

Trust me on this one.

When you're not spending your own money (law enforcement, .gov, etc.) then yes, for sure. And this is the best method for training. But since I don't spend OPM, I spend most of my range time with a similar FMJ round and finish up with a few mags of what I carry/use. Much cheaper, with similar results.

But damn, that is a lot of ammo. A lot of fucking ammo. How many armed DHS agents are there anyhow? And how many times has DHS been involved in a shoot out?

Brian4Liberty
08-21-2012, 08:15 PM
The real journalism would be in looking into who got the kickbacks and bribes for this order.

Which order? The toilet seats were custom made from carbon fiber to reduce weight (on aircraft). That's what you get when the people putting in the orders don't have to pay the bill themselves. Even at that, they never look at itemized costs. Plus or minus $800 on a $55 million dollar aircraft doesn't usually phase anyone, even someone looking to reduce costs.

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-21-2012, 08:16 PM

This I am interested in. Time to start a public boycott / campaign, against these companies that would supply the Government with the materials used to oppress the serfs here at home. GET EM KNOWN MOFOS.

specsaregood
08-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Which order? The toilet seats were custom made from carbon fiber to reduce weight (on aircraft). That's what you get when the people putting in the orders don't have to pay the bill themselves. Even at that, they never look at itemized costs. Plus or minus $800 on a $55 million dollar aircraft doesn't usually phase anyone, even someone looking to reduce costs.

Yeah, i was referring to the orders that are the topic of the thread. :)

TheTexan
08-21-2012, 08:22 PM
The skillful misdirection really puts the "pro" into cointelpro

idiom
08-21-2012, 08:28 PM

The other thing you get other than incompetence or corruption is a program getting its costs inflated by having another black program billed to it.

That $40 toilet seat just laundered $760 of black program money.

TheTexan
08-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Obscure federal agencies triggered a firestorm of conspiracy theories this week after they put out orders for thousands of rounds of deadly hollow-point bullets.

That still cracks me up. The lies are so obvious. Yet still so effective.

Danke
08-21-2012, 08:34 PM
When you're not spending your own money (law enforcement, .gov, etc.) then yes, for sure. And this is the best method for training. But since I don't spend OPM, I spend most of my range time with a similar FMJ round and finish up with a few mags of what I carry/use. Much cheaper, with similar results.

But damn, that is a lot of ammo. A lot of fucking ammo. How many armed DHS agents are there anyhow? And how many times has DHS been involved in a shoot out?

Of course, it is OPM.

There are a lot of DHS "agents" More than you know.

ghengis86
08-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Of course, it is OPM.

There are a lot of DHS "agents" More than you know.

fair enough; but what about my second question?

Pericles
08-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Nothing to see here, move along.

QuickZ06
08-21-2012, 08:52 PM

Well technically those aren't real wars......and they know why they need these rounds. Pretty much shows you how scared to death of us they are.

Hollow Point = bad for war, good for American citizen.

TheTexan
08-21-2012, 08:55 PM
On the bright side, hollow points aren't very effective against ballistic plates.... so armor up IMO

idiom
08-21-2012, 09:07 PM
On the bright side, hollow points aren't very effective against ballistic plates.... so armor up IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofQ6i9I1IYY

awake
08-21-2012, 09:11 PM
I'm trying to understand this...

Option A: this was simply a subside from cronies in the government for and to ammo manufacturers spread out over many departments to attempt to hide the corrupt transaction.

Option B: this was a deliberate transaction and these "hollow points" will be used on American citizens in the future.

Option C: both A and B

pcosmar
08-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Support this project,
http://www.indiegogo.com/graystatemovie

to raise awareness.

Danke
08-21-2012, 09:22 PM
//

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
08-22-2012, 06:27 AM

I've heard this many times. DHS still doesn't need that ammo. They don't need to be training with it, and they don't need to be using it.

That still cracks me up. The lies are so obvious. Yet still so effective.

Yeah, the one you quoted was quite the work of art. lol. "Thousands" of rounds are only a problem if some guy in colorado (supposedly) orders them.

jbauer
08-22-2012, 07:41 AM
Out of curiosity, if I went to the store and put in an order for say 50k bullets how long do you supose it would take before the feds would be at my door?

....just incase the feds are reading this (see marine arrested) I am not going to a store to buy bullets. Between my shotgun and .22 I'm prepared to fight off 10-20 pigeons and 15ish racoons but thats about it.

Pericles
08-22-2012, 08:49 AM
I'm trying to understand this...

Option A: this was simply a subside from cronies in the government for and to ammo manufacturers spread out over many departments to attempt to hide the corrupt transaction.

Option B: this was a deliberate transaction and these "hollow points" will be used on American citizens in the future.

Option C: both A and B

Option A is out because the civilian market in the US currently buys any and all ammunition that can be produced or imported and makers can not supply the demand. At best, one could argue it is an effort to divert some of the supply from civilian hands.

libertyjam
08-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Source says government ammo purchase story a disinformation campaign

http://www.examiner.com/article/source-says-government-ammo-purchase-story-a-disinformation-campaign

pcosmar
08-26-2012, 08:14 PM

http://www.examiner.com/article/source-says-government-ammo-purchase-story-a-disinformation-campaign

None of what the informant has reported can be independently verified. However, information provided by the source in the past has been generally reliable, suggesting that the assertions are credible enough to merit attention.

The contract bids were published openly on US Government websites.

US ammo sales to 'civilians are legal and open,, and known to be substantial.

More people being armed is a very good thing.. More govt ammo is bad.

Disinformation,,yes. But whose?

Carson
08-27-2012, 07:29 PM

August 25, 2012
By: Anthony Martin

New information has been received indicating that the widely circulated story concerning a massive ammunition purchase by various civilian agencies of the federal government is part of a disinformation campaign designed to "smoke out" citizens who fear that the government is gearing up for a confrontation with the public.

The source is a trusted, well-placed informant who has significant contacts with government personnel and who has access to records which cast doubt on the story that the Social Security Administration and the Department of Homeland Security bought over 1.2 billion rounds of deadly hollow point ammo.

For obvious reasons the source must maintain anonymity.

At least some of the purchase orders for the ammo, according to the sour

Snip...

http://www.examiner.com/article/source-says-government-ammo-purchase-story-a-disinformation-campaign?CID=examiner_alerts_article