PDA

View Full Version : The Doomed Fight for a Pro-Civil Unions Plank in the GOP Platform

sailingaway
08-21-2012, 01:01 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2012/08/21/the_doomed_fight_for_a_pro_civil_unions_plank_in_t he_gop_platform.html

Is Perkins there in place of our duly elected Louisiana Delegates? Because he shouldn't even be there, in that case.

Feeding the Abscess
08-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Family Research Council President Tony Perkins took the microphone to explain that "government extends benefits to marriage because marriage benefits society." His fellow Republicans surely knew that.
"We recognize nature, we recognize history," he said. "This would move the party away immensely from the position this party has held."

I don't even need to say anything.

TheTyke
08-21-2012, 03:22 PM
I wish they wouldn't attribute this to Paul supporters. Constitutionalists would all probably agree that marriage should not be government controlled, but that's a far cry from "recognizing" particular definitions in the platform (with which some of us disagree.) That's not what I campaigned for. It could as easily be some of the Establishment types we bumped into.

erowe1
08-21-2012, 03:25 PM
I wish they wouldn't attribute this to Paul supporters.

Seriously. Ron Paul has never been for that. And Weigel didn't seem to have any firm evidence that the people behind it were Ron Paul supporters.

LibertyEagle
08-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Why is this thread in Ron Paul Grassroots Central?

sailingaway
08-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Seriously. Ron Paul has never been for that. And Weigel didn't seem to have any firm evidence that the people behind it were Ron Paul supporters.

If you read the actual language it was saying marriage was a sacrament and sacred, that govt didn't belong in it, so what govt did it should call something else and leave marriage to the religious institutions.

Keith and stuff
08-21-2012, 05:55 PM
In NH, some of the GOP tried to push hard for government civil unions but gave up and decided to just stick with government same sex marriage. Personally, I don't think the GOP needs to bother pushing these issues. It is only a matter of time before the courts demand these issues. Given time, most people will be fine with government same sex marriage. It will become a very minor issue.

sailingaway
08-21-2012, 06:00 PM
In NH, some of the GOP tried to push hard for government civil unions but gave up and decided to just stick with government same sex marriage. Personally, I don't think the GOP needs to bother pushing these issues. It is only a matter of time before the courts demand these issues. Given time, most people will be fine with government same sex marriage. It will become a very minor issue.

but then the religious side, that govt shouldn't be defining a sacrament, comes in. This was called civil unions but really was as much a 'get the govt out of marriage' amendment as a gay rights amendment and Perkins who can't see past his own nose just cut it off to spite his face, imho.