PDA

View Full Version : Who are RPF's scientists, mathematicians, chemists, electricians, etc (or soon to be...)

JoshLowry
08-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Do we have any whizzes, outside of politics, that contribute here semi-regularly?

What's the type of work you dabble in?

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Herpetological studies, communications, marine science, geographer, history geek and a few other talents nobody would care about. Are you trying to asemble a super army of political nerds? I work as an auctioneer/appraiser and specialize in old junk.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
08-20-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm a trained economist, grad at top of class from a good school... wouldn't call myself a whiz. Self taught internet marketer for 12 years = whiz. :)

Nirvikalpa
08-20-2012, 06:22 PM
XHTML/PHP coder, scientist (w/ research using HPLC/GC), medicine... nothing spectacular or above-average by any means. I just do what I enjoy :)

Edit: since people are getting in depth...

BS in Biological Sciences w/ conc. in reproductive biology, minors in Chemistry, Mathematics, Psychology, and Anthropology (yeah I know, a lot of minors).
Research on the leaching of food and liquid contaminants from plastics (plasticizers, phthalates) using high performance liquid chromatography with variables such as pH and temperature.
EMT, ~100 hours from paramedic cert but don't want it (and won't get the add'tl training for it). Took classes in wilderness medicine, certified in psychological first aid and am a first responder for the Red Cross... multiple national deployments.

JoshLowry
08-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Are you trying to asemble a super army of political nerds?

Yes.

I got a job in Florida working for a "pseudo" scientist.

;)

Anti Federalist
08-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Welder/Tinkerer/Mechanic/Handy type man.

And a shit ton of maritime experience that is pretty much worthless on dry land.

Anti Federalist
08-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Yes.

;)

LOL

heavenlyboy34
<<-Music theorist/composer/arranger/multi-instrumentalist (I play 2 dozen+ instruments. If you want details, I'll write it out) and certified computer graphic designer. :cool: Working towards my translator certification and can help with Russian-English translation. (not so much English-Russian yet)

I try not to work for evil, but will do a lot of things for the right price. ;) lolz

ETA: with all the color/design theory and practical applications I learned getting my CCL in design, I can make good propaganda art. :)

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
Herpetological studies, communications, history geek and a few other talents nobody would care about. Are you trying to asemble a super army of political nerds?

He's probably curious. I've seen threads where he referenced great minds of the past I'd never heard of... I lost a week or so of my life following those ghosts around. lol Reich, for instance.

Anti Federalist
08-20-2012, 06:28 PM
He's probably curious. I've seen threads where he referenced great minds of the past I'd never heard of... I lost a week or so of my life following those ghosts around. lol Reich, for instance.

Nah, I'd be more inclined to believe the army of RPF super geeks.

LOLOLOLOL

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
08-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Nah, I'd be more inclined to believe the army of RPF super geeks.

LOLOLOLOL

LOL Better round them up now before they're rounded up otherwise.

heavenlyboy34
Welder/Tinkerer/Mechanic/Handy type man.

And a shit ton of maritime experience that is pretty much worthless on dry land.
Just arc and oxy/acetylene or have you gotten into the newfangled fancy stuff? /curious

Kotin
Horticulturist, Botanist-in-Training, Microbiology, Medicine(including infectious diseases, auto-immune disorders, nutrition, disease prevention)

Soon to be Chemist, as I am minoring in chemistry.

heavenlyboy34
08-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Horticulturist, Botanist-in-Training, Microbiology, Medicine(including infectious diseases, auto-immune disorders, nutrition, disease prevention)

Soon to be Chemist, as I am minoring in chemistry.
Sweet! You can be our designer of WMDs so's we can defend ourselves when TSHTF! :D ;)

matt0611
08-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Got an M.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering. So technically I'm a "scientist". Though I'm an engineer by trade.

heavenlyboy34
08-20-2012, 06:34 PM
btw, AmyPi is a mad chemist. :D

presence
08-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Plumber, electrician, carpenter... Proficient w/ most of the building trades. I could tutor calculus with a quick refresh.

amy31416
08-20-2012, 06:38 PM
BS in chemistry, went to Hopkins for biotechnology also. Hands-on benchtop microbiology, fermentation, process engineering, plenty of experience making shit work that doesn't look like it'll work. Dabbling in botany, pretty well-versed in the science behind composting. Green belt in Six Sigma (though my project was black-belt level). Several years experience in pestering Collins, even making him angry a few times.

God damn, sounds like I'm writing my resume.

Son of Detroit
08-20-2012, 06:39 PM
I can pour myself a mean bowl of cereal.

MelissaWV
08-20-2012, 06:40 PM
I kin write good. :p

Also:

I am the very model of a modern Major-General,
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;
I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news,
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.
I'm very good at integral and differential calculus;
I know the scientific names of beings animalculous:
In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.
I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's;
I answer hard acrostics, I've a pretty taste for paradox,
I quote in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus,
In conics I can floor peculiarities parabolous;
I can tell undoubted Raphaels from Gerard Dows and Zoffanies,
I know the croaking chorus from The Frogs of Aristophanes!
Then I can hum a fugue of which I've heard the music's din afore,
And whistle all the airs from that infernal nonsense Pinafore.
Then I can write a washing bill in Babylonic cuneiform,
And tell you ev'ry detail of Caractacus's uniform:
In fact, when I know what is meant by "mamelon" and "ravelin",
When I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a Javelin,
When such affairs as sorties and surprises I'm more wary at,
And when I know precisely what is meant by "commissariat",
When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery,
When I know more of tactics than a novice in a nunnery—
In short, when I've a smattering of elemental strategy—
You'll say a better Major-General has never sat a gee.
For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century;
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-20-2012, 06:40 PM

Maybe you are.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-20-2012, 06:41 PM

Hookt own fonecs werked fur U?

Anti Federalist
08-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Just arc and oxy/acetylene or have you gotten into the newfangled fancy stuff? /curious

MIG - TIG - stick - and oxy/acetylene on various metals.

All repair related, fixing welded, cast and machined fittings and parts of all types and sizes, from diesel parts to steam parts to automotive.

In other words, no fabbing, artwork or new manufacture.

Anti Federalist
08-20-2012, 06:46 PM

Also:

I am the very model of a modern Major-General,
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;
I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news,
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.
I'm very good at integral and differential calculus;
I know the scientific names of beings animalculous:
I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's;
I answer hard acrostics, I've a pretty taste for paradox,
I quote in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus,
In conics I can floor peculiarities parabolous;
I can tell undoubted Raphaels from Gerard Dows and Zoffanies,
I know the croaking chorus from The Frogs of Aristophanes!
Then I can hum a fugue of which I've heard the music's din afore,
And whistle all the airs from that infernal nonsense Pinafore.
Then I can write a washing bill in Babylonic cuneiform,
And tell you ev'ry detail of Caractacus's uniform:
In fact, when I know what is meant by "mamelon" and "ravelin",
When I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a Javelin,
When such affairs as sorties and surprises I'm more wary at,
And when I know precisely what is meant by "commissariat",
When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery,
When I know more of tactics than a novice in a nunnery—
In short, when I've a smattering of elemental strategy—
You'll say a better Major-General has never sat a gee.
For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century;
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,

Deserves a tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSGWoXDFM64

Top rated youtube comment

I am the very model of a scientist salarian –
I’ve studied species Turian, Asari and Batarian –
I’m quite good at genetics as a subset of biology –
because I am an expert which I know is a tautology!
My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian –
I am the very model of a scientist salarian!

vcihiethea 2 months ago 133

pcosmar
08-20-2012, 06:49 PM

Body and Paint,, Fabricator. Cut, weld, bolt,rivet Shape metals and plastics. upholstery etc.

Can design (or redesign) some,, or can work from a rough sketch or articulated Idea.
Never really used blueprints,,but can decipher them.

Basic understanding of Fluid and aerodynamics ,, no formal ed.

Basic computer use,, including Linux.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
08-20-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm also a bit of a PRO-SE wrench in the gears for banks who can't figure out what the fuck they did with people's mortgage papers. But that's all copy and paste stuff since legal docs are public. It's personal to me to not see the banks paid over and over and over.

I recently hired a lawyer for that, myself. The first thing they did was to tell the court to disregard everything I did - which had kept the plaintiff not answering my interrogatories for 2 years, but I'll reserve judgement. We'll see.

James Madison
08-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Professional microbiologist
Amateur writer and game developer

Miss Annie
08-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Web designer (specializing in ecommerce). Accounting / Bookkeeping (proficient in Quickbooks)
self taught (teaching) artist - oil painting.

Nirvikalpa
08-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Professional microbiologist
Amateur writer and game developer

Cool! Just don't be the best microbiologist in your field...

axiomata
08-20-2012, 06:57 PM
I am known to engineer combined cycle gas power plants on occassion.

soulcyon
08-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Comp sci major, mostly interested in the financial industry

RonRules
08-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Aerospace software, simulation, GPS, electric power training.

Brian4Liberty
08-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Bartender (Scientist on the side). ;)

trey4sports
08-20-2012, 07:11 PM
SEO/affiliate marketing

amy31416
08-20-2012, 07:12 PM
btw, AmyPi is a mad chemist. :D

Eh...I'm more of an irritable chemist these days.

Natural Citizen
08-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Natural sciences - science communication

malkusm
08-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Hey this is my kind of thread!

B.S. in Statistics, M.A. in Economics. I work as an insurance analyst for a very small company which started a few years ago and recently restructured (so it's practically a startup). I generally spend most of my day in Excel, either building financial models or analyzing insurance and doing all kinds of ad-hoc work (of which there is a lot).

Brian4Liberty
08-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Research on the leaching of food and liquid contaminants from plastics (plasticizers, phthalates) using high performance liquid chromatography with variables such as pH and temperature.

Now that's interesting! What about plastic water bottles? Are they killing us? Destroying our brains? Mimicking hormones?

How much effect does temperature have? I.e. heated in a hot car, frozen in the freezer, thawed, and then consumed? Any reactions with other consumable liquids? Fruit juice? Tea? Alcohol? Soda? All safe?

trey4sports
08-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Hey this is my kind of thread!

B.S. in Statistics, M.A. in Economics. I work as an insurance analyst for a very small company which started a few years ago and recently restructured (so it's practically a startup). I generally spend most of my day in Excel, either building financial models or analyzing insurance and doing all kinds of ad-hoc work (of which there is a lot).

where are you getting you're Economics education? Man, with the exception of George Mason University i'd think just about anywhere you go you'll be bangin' you're head against the wall.

JoshLowry
08-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Quite an impressive bunch if I don't say so myself.

donnay
08-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Researcher and writer. Domestic Engineer. :D

kathy88
08-20-2012, 07:20 PM
I am a helluvan eater. Yeah. I eat real good.

malkusm
08-20-2012, 07:23 PM
where are you getting you're Economics education? Man, with the exception of George Mason University i'd think just about anywhere you go you'll be bangin' you're head against the wall.

Already finished up at NYU. I looked at GMU for a while. NYU is a mixed bag. There are a few very neo-Keynesian profs, a good deal of Chicago school profs, etc. There's an Austrian prof here as well.

FunkBuddha
08-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Packet pusher, bit herder, bit jockey, network engineer.

No college degree. Just a dumbass G. Who, me?

Nirvikalpa
08-20-2012, 07:28 PM
Now that's interesting! What about plastic water bottles? Are they killing us? Destroying our brains? Mimicking hormones?

How much effect does temperature have? I.e. heated in a hot car, frozen in the freezer, thawed, and then consumed? Any reactions with other consumable liquids? Fruit juice? Tea? Alcohol? Soda? All safe?

I used different pH "household" substances to mimic the common things we may store in plastic tupperware. My liquids were milk of magnesia (alkaline), deionized water (~neutral), and lemon juice (acidic).

My research indicated that both alkaline and acidic liquids cause larger leaching, especially in constant warm temperatures. Water held at warmer temperatures also facilitated more leaching than cold temperatures. However, my study was small...

If it answers your question... I stay away from plastics as much as possible (more so after my research) and use glass when I can. :p

Perhaps I shall post my research paper sometime :)

Brian4Liberty
08-20-2012, 07:40 PM
I used different pH "household" substances to mimic the common things we may store in plastic tupperware. My liquids were milk of magnesia (alkaline), deionized water (~neutral), and lemon juice (acidic).

My research indicated that both alkaline and acidic liquids cause larger leaching, especially in constant warm temperatures. Water held at warmer temperatures also facilitated more leaching than cold temperatures. However, my study was small...

If it answers your question... I stay away from plastics as much as possible (more so after my research) and use glass when I can. :p

Tupperware is of interest too. And people regularly heat those to melting temperature in the microwave. I expect that is a different plastic than the standard water bottle. Probably best to stay away from them both altogether. People are so addicted to water bottles. Like they can't drink from the faucet anymore (even when filtered).

But they are darn convenient for trips. They fit nicely in an ice chest. And can be refilled with juices or any other drink. I believe the manufacturer disclaimer/legal CYA says that water bottles are single use, not to be refilled ever, with anything. Not comforting. But hey, the government has approved them, so they must be completely safe... ;)

pcosmar
08-20-2012, 07:42 PM
I've always thought it was a fine bunch of oddballs and eggheads.
Glad to be amongst.
:D

pcosmar
08-20-2012, 07:44 PM

And here I thought you were just a mobile nursey nurse.
:p

low preference guy
08-20-2012, 07:46 PM
marriage counselor.

amy31416
08-20-2012, 07:49 PM
marriage counselor.

Best post of thread.

Nirvikalpa
08-20-2012, 07:51 PM
marriage counselor.

You're really bad at your job (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?386455-Debunking-The-Myth-That-Eating-Egg-Yolks-Increases-Arterial-Plaque&p=4586676#post4586676) ;) :p

low preference guy
08-20-2012, 07:52 PM
You're really bad at your job (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?386455-Debunking-The-Myth-That-Eating-Egg-Yolks-Increases-Arterial-Plaque&p=4586676#post4586676) ;) :p

don't show your friends that post...

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
08-20-2012, 07:56 PM

There's quite a bit of economics that is useful beyond austrian school economics. Really, a whole fuckload. lol. And austrians typically agree with the mathematical models.

I second that. lol. Well, I see you made a response. Tap water - flouride, bottled water - estrogen mimics?

Glad to be amongst.

haha. Yeah.

asurfaholic
Industrial/commercial electrician. Conduit, controls, none of that pansy romex stuff

idiom
Broadcast Engineer, Rocket Engineer.

madengr
08-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Electrical engineer; radio frequency and microwave hardware design.

cjm
08-20-2012, 08:10 PM
current life: Unix/Linux/shell scripting expert, can pretty much set up and administer any enterprise application and middleware though I wouldn't claim whizdom on most of them. I've also worked a bunch with Cisco IOS on their switches and routers. After that there's a ton of computer related resume padding that includes vendor certifications from MS and Netware from the 1990s, some CatOS, OS/2, etc. But again, probably not whizzy on any of this stuff anymore.

past life: CNC multi-axis mill programmer. Expert at custom macro programming for Yasnac and Fanuc controllers. I've written custom post-processors for the CAM package that a couple of shops used. I still have my rollaway would like to get back into this as a side gig someday (home shop).

pcosmar
08-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Electrical engineer; radio frequency and microwave hardware design.

Ooh Ooh,,
I have some application ideas,, could use some expertise with.

questionably "politically correct" though. ;)

if you can help me I can build it

angelatc
08-20-2012, 08:32 PM

Not bad for a bunch of Cheetos-eating spammers who never leave our basements.

heavenlyboy34
08-20-2012, 08:49 PM
We also spam webbernet polls and harass right-wing talk show hosts. Don't sell us short! ;) :D

BSU kid
08-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Science major here, but won't say what science. Don't want people piecing my information together.

amy31416
08-20-2012, 08:56 PM

I think you mean our mother's basements. Geez.

heavenlyboy34
08-20-2012, 08:57 PM
MIG - TIG - stick - and oxy/acetylene on various metals.

All repair related, fixing welded, cast and machined fittings and parts of all types and sizes, from diesel parts to steam parts to automotive.

Sweet! I never got very proficient with MIG, but all that other shit I can do well. If you haven't learned oxy/acetylene cutting, you oughta. It's basically the same as OA in getting the cut started. After that, ya just have to learn the trigger mechanism and keeping it steady during teh cut. How many metals can one use OA on? AFAIK, it's only useful on regular steel.

heavenlyboy34
08-20-2012, 08:57 PM
I think you mean our mother's basements. Geez.
This^^ :cool:

QuickZ06
08-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Self proclaimed Porn Star.

QuickZ06
08-20-2012, 09:05 PM
For real though, anything car related I probably know whats up.

heavenlyboy34
08-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Self proclaimed Porn Star.
tubez or it didn't happen.

QuickZ06
08-20-2012, 09:06 PM
tubez or it didn't happen.

My porno's have been banned from radio, yeah that bad......

mad cow
08-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Graduated eighth grade,known as junior high back in the day.
Attended over half of ninth grade but I was failing badly when I bailed.
I also flunked,and repeated,sixth grade.
Never even attempted getting a GED.

Boy,does THAT resume have manual laborer written all over it!
And that's what happened.But then again,a strong back is a terrible thing to waste.

roho76
08-20-2012, 09:42 PM
My porno's have been banned from radio, yeah that bad......

Techngnarlergy

-Industrial automation engineer. Specializing in Robotics and PLC's.
-Musician: Drums, Percussion, Guitar, Bass
-Professional smart ass

QuickZ06
08-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Techngnarlergy

-Professional smart ass

I like you already.

Indy Vidual
08-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Up until 10th grade I was 1st/2nd in my class; Then I met several Libertarians and was set free from the prison of success.
Scientist, mathematician, creative explorer, BS in BS.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." ~Albert Einstein

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
08-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Graduated eighth grade,known as junior high back in the day.
Attended over half of ninth grade but I was failing badly when I bailed.
I also flunked,and repeated,sixth grade.
Never even attempted getting a GED.

Boy,does THAT resume have manual laborer written all over it!
And that's what happened.But then again,a strong back is a terrible thing to waste.

You have a lot of options compared to your average person with a degree. lol. That's a strength right now.

heavenlyboy34
08-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Techngnarlergy

-Professional smart ass
I shoulda put that on my post/resume. I'm an excellent smartass. Just ask amypi or any other long-timers 'round these parts. :cool:

heavenlyboy34
08-20-2012, 10:21 PM
BS in chemistry, went to Hopkins for biotechnology also. Hands-on benchtop microbiology, fermentation, process engineering, plenty of experience making shit work that doesn't look like it'll work. Dabbling in botany, pretty well-versed in the science behind composting. Green belt in Six Sigma (though my project was black-belt level). Several years experience in pestering Collins, even making him angry a few times.

Can you plz build us some WMD's and/or chemical/biological weapons for when TSHTF? :o Thnx. :)

low preference guy
08-20-2012, 10:31 PM
[LIST]"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." ~Albert Einstein

Einstein was a stupid big government advocate.

Indy Vidual
08-20-2012, 10:39 PM
lpg: I know the headline, but not the details.

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. :p ~Albert Einstein
All that is valuable in human society depends upon the opportunity for development accorded the individual. ~Albert Einstein

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
08-20-2012, 10:52 PM

Well, he was no Tesla, either.

Danke
08-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Took a "philosophy of feminism" course in collage. Other than that, I certified twice, once in the Pacific and once in the European theater, as being responsible for the only weapon system in the world that was one man control of a nuclear weapon.

Got a nuke? I'll deliver it for ya, accurately.

heavenlyboy34
08-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Took a "philosophy of feminism" course in collage. Other than that, I certified twice, once in the Pacific and once in the European theater, as being responsible for the only weapon system in the world that was one man control of a nuclear weapon.

You are now AmyPi's lab partner.

Anti Federalist
08-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Glad to be amongst.

I agree.

CaptainAmerica
08-20-2012, 11:19 PM
<soon to be certified in oxy/acetylene welding ,the book contains some basic science with gas reactions,metal, and electrical equations(arc welding) :3

artist/musician/basic auto mechanics/fabricating out of steel and wood/crafts

Anti Federalist
08-20-2012, 11:21 PM

And when the totality of that statement sunk in, I shat myself.

Anti Federalist
08-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Oh and what dork, killjoy, rated this one star?

Danke
08-20-2012, 11:28 PM
And when the totality of that statement sunk in, I shat myself.

What? U don't trust me?

squarepusher
08-20-2012, 11:29 PM
lvl 85 World Of Warcraft

heavenlyboy34
08-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Oh and what dork, killjoy, rated this one star? Probably LPG, the little bastard. :p

coastie
08-21-2012, 12:31 AM
Currently going to school for Digital Media Technology, mostly focusing on the Adobe Software(Premier Pro, After Effects,Audition, Flash, Photoshop, etc), focusing on video editing.

Somewhat mechanic-y, if it's an engine I'm not familiar with, I'll figure it out after a minimum of broken tools and a lot of yelling and calling said engine names normally reserved for the wife after I've drank a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label. I'm kidding.........I hate Johnny Walker.

Specialize in Honda engines, boost 'em, blow 'em-whatever. Honda Marine and street engines(same thing).

Can drive a boat, never piloted one over 45 feet, but I'm willing to try. You bring the booze and I'll bring the life raft, flares, a little water and more booze while we wait to be rescued from whatever Titanic-esque move I pulled in said boat. I really like shooting flares, to the point you may want to take them from me as I might get wasted on the life raft and start shooting "the fireworks" off when no one is around to see them.

Can MIG, braze, solder.

I can solder small electronics, never had anything I soldered fail yet.

Amateur Botanist. Born with a green thumb for sure. I love plants.:cool:

Can't do carpentry very well, at least nothing major. I'm not even sure what I mean by "anything major", to be honest. My squares are what most would call parallelograms, if you catch my drift.:o

Professional Masturbater. No details, but just trust me-I'm really good. This is a service I only offer to myself, however. No exceptions.:p

tod evans
08-21-2012, 02:36 AM
Paramedic license expired in 1980, since then I've been in the trades. I own a custom woodworking shop where I build furniture, mill curved mouldings and freestanding curved staircases, carving and veneer work are specialties.

Non-licensed 'lectrition both 3-phase and single, mechanic and machine shop (non-cad), basic welding, brick,stone,tile and concrete..

Just a "hands-on" kinda guy...'Ol hippie/biker/hillbilly non-conformist who doesn't play well with others.

Indy Vidual
08-21-2012, 03:08 AM
New word:

Herpetological studies...

Herpetology is the branch of zoology concerned with the study of amphibians (including frogs, toads, salamanders, newts, and gymnophiona) and reptiles.

Weston White
08-21-2012, 03:12 AM
Prior to being promoted to the position of Assistant to the Regional Manger of a failing paper supply company, Scranton, I was an accountant. Much like, sir Ian McClellan.

However, my ideal profession still remains to one day become both a fulltime concierge at four-star hotel-casino and a part-time coffee-master at a very exclusive office complex cafe in an upscale city. I know, I know, I am reaching for stars, but I can dream can't I?

Indy Vidual
08-21-2012, 03:13 AM

Professional Masturbater. No details, but just trust me-I'm really good. This is a service I only offer to myself, however. No exceptions.

*Professional* Masturbater = Does your left hand pay the right hand? :p

Just a "hands-on" kinda guy...

Great :D
Just keep those hands off of coastie, he works alone.

tod evans
08-21-2012, 03:28 AM
Just keep those hands off of coastie, he works alone.

I'd be delighted to show him the other end of that thing:eek:............Purely heterosexual here;)

jt8025
08-21-2012, 03:36 AM
I have the following degrees:

B.S. in Applied Mathematics
B.S. in Applied Physics
B.S. in Electrical Engineering

And no, that is not BS.

libertariantexas
08-21-2012, 03:40 AM
Do we have any whizzes, outside of politics, that contribute here semi-regularly?

What's the type of work you dabble in?

I'm not a scientist, but have engineering degrees from RPI and MIT, as well as an MBA from Boston University. Of course, all engineers get a pretty fair amount of science. My undergrad degree was in Chemical Engineering, and I got more chemistry than I'll ever use. I am employed as an environmental engineer, and almost never use chemistry on more than a rudimentary level.

My wife, who is technically a RPF member, but probably hasn't signed on since late 2007, is a real scientist- a research chemist for a large non-profit research institute. She really knows chemistry, so on those rare occasions when I need to know chemistry, I just ask her- because I use it so infrequently that I can't remember what I learned 25+ years ago :).

libertariantexas
08-21-2012, 03:45 AM
Prior to being promoted to the position of Assistant to the Regional Manger of a failing paper supply company, Scranton, I was an accountant. Much like, sir Ian McClellan.

Can you help me get a job as a paper salesman?

I've never sold paper, but believe me, I can move product.

Call me.

Art Vandelay

libertariantexas
08-21-2012, 03:47 AM
Professional Masturbater. No details, but just trust me-I'm really good. This is a service I only offer to myself, however. No exceptions.:p

Professional?

I've been a talented amateur for ~36 years, but I've never been paid for it.

Can you help me figure out how to get paid for this?

asurfaholic
08-21-2012, 05:06 AM
Professional?

I've been a talented amateur for ~36 years, but I've never been paid for it.

Can you help me figure out how to get paid for this?

Google : how to sell my sperm

Demigod
08-21-2012, 05:22 AM
Information and computer engineer ( I think that the translation would be like that )

V3n
08-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Network Engineer here - firewalls, routers, switches - Juniper and Cisco

and Video Gamer on the side (pro bono)

amy31416
08-21-2012, 07:34 AM
Can you plz build us some WMD's and/or chemical/biological weapons for when TSHTF? :o Thnx. :)

Meh. Beer, cheese, wine and bread will be more useful--I have a 1200 ft2 basement that'll be perfect for the ferment lab. Kluge is probably going to do more research into solar this winter, so we should be good. In early spring, a couple greenhouses. We also bought peach, plum, apple, pear and cherry trees--should be producing in 2-3 years. Maybe a couple dwarf goats, chickens and a miniature cow--all set. :)

Philhelm
08-21-2012, 07:34 AM
I'll remember this thread when it is time for me to start recruiting minions for my plans of world domination.

Kotin
08-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Meh. Beer, cheese, wine and bread will be more useful--I have a 1200 ft2 basement that'll be perfect for the ferment lab. Kluge is probably going to do more research into solar this winter, so we should be good. In early spring, a couple greenhouses. We also bought peach, plum, apple, pear and cherry trees--should be producing in 2-3 years. Maybe a couple dwarf goats, chickens and a miniature cow--all set. :)

Fuck yeah!!!!

bunklocoempire
08-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Impressive group!

Husband & step-dad here, and mouth breather most times. Have made money as a musician (drummer), money as a prep cook, and money as an electrictrical laborer & apprentice. Amatuer gardener/rancher. Currently I am the sole owner & worker in my business rebuilding and testing gas apparatus. I get by as a brazer -always improving the techique, and I'm also an amatuer/hack MIG welder & fabricator -but a much better grinder.;) lol
I quite often smell like brass. I said brass. :D

http://s6.postimage.org/btj9mldv5/BUTT_LOAD.jpg

brandon
08-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Completed my GED, over 20000 posts combined across several internet forums, lvl 85 WoW, correspondence chess ELO 1650, platinum sc2 1v1 league. Wannabe polymath.

heavenlyboy34
08-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Bunk-you get by just doing brazing? :eek: How? Any decent welder can do brazing and all the other major processes. And if you can get a TIG welder, you'll like it better than for many purposes. (at least, I do FWIW)

roho76
08-21-2012, 09:22 AM
I don't have a job but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :P

JoshLowry
08-21-2012, 09:30 AM
I don't have a job but I did post on RonPaulForums.com last night. :P

ftfy

roho76
08-21-2012, 09:33 AM
ftfy

You're one of those revisionists aren't you? We're not fooled by your liberal agenda. Moderators? Who is this guy? Like he owns this joint or something. :)

JoshLowry
08-21-2012, 09:36 AM
We are one of the revisionist's problems.

angelatc
08-21-2012, 09:40 AM
I wish some of you welders lived here . We bought a cheap trailer, and it needs a rear gate. I can't find where to buy one - everybody seems to make their own.

angelatc
08-21-2012, 09:41 AM
You're one of those revisionists aren't you? We're not fooled by your liberal agenda. Moderators? Who is this guy? Like he owns this joint or something. :)

And what's up with the Lowry's List thing?

KingRobbStark
08-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Im double majoring in physics and electrical engineering. And a minor in mathematics, but its nothing considering the classes I have to take are prerequisites of my two majors.

KingRobbStark
08-21-2012, 11:05 AM

B.S. in Applied Physics

And no, that is not BS.

Your BS is redundant.

Acala
08-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Undergrad degree in chemistry. Worked as a toxicologist for a few years. Then foolishly went to law school. Been a drag on the productive sectors of society ever since. Trying to make up for it by teaching meditation.

libertyjam
08-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering

worked for a number of years for [CLASSIFIED] doing [CLASSIFIED]
Then went on to [CLASSIFIED], as well as doing some [CLASSIFIED].

brandon
08-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Im double majoring in physics and electrical engineering. And a minor in mathematics, but its nothing considering the classes I have to take are prerequisites of my two majors.

Yea it's nothing in your first two years. In my junior year I ended up taking abstract algebra and classical analysis on top of my full electrical engineering course work. I didn't make it... dropped the math minor and just finished up my EE degree. I could have done it if I was extremely dedicated...but it wasn't worth it. Much better having a social life. Especially after you realize what a math minor gets you in the world....absolutely nothing at all.

silverhandorder
08-21-2012, 11:24 AM
BS in chemistry. Recent grad looking for work :(.

KingRobbStark
08-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Yea it's nothing in your first two years. In my junior year I ended up taking abstract algebra and classical analysis on top of my full electrical engineering course work. I didn't make it... dropped the math minor and just finished up my EE degree. I could have done it if I was extremely dedicated...but it wasn't worth it. Much better having a social life. Especially after you realize what a math minor gets you in the world....absolutely nothing at all.

I wasn't even planning on a math minor, but it seemed to fit. The only class I have to take thats out of the way is mathematical analysis.

John F Kennedy III
08-21-2012, 11:35 AM
In school I was lethal in the four basic maths. 16 years experience as an arm chair politician. Proficient in landscape maintenance, moving furniture and talking to the people one the TV like they can hear me. I used to have a license in CNA and CPR.

heavenlyboy34
08-21-2012, 11:41 AM
In school I was lethal in the four basic maths. 16 years experience as an arm chair politician. Proficient in landscape maintenance, moving furniture and talking to the people one the TV like they can hear me. I used to have a license in CNA and CPR.
"Used to"? Were you stripped of it or did it expire or what? /curious

John F Kennedy III
08-21-2012, 11:51 AM
"Used to"? Were you stripped of it or did it expire or what? /curious

They expired. I got them at Job Corps in Texas. I didn't have any interest in being a CNA, but we had to complete a trade to do something more advanced. I wanted to go for Pharmacy Tech, but they were going to make me wait 4 months there with nothing else to do so I left. Did you know you can be arrested for not helping someone if you have your CPR license? So now I know CPR without that BS hanging over my shoulder :)

jt8025
08-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Your BS is redundant.

That is actual how I ended up getting all of them. They are so closely related.

RonRules
08-21-2012, 12:12 PM

B.S. in Applied Physics

And no, that is not BS.

I see what happened there:

Math is fun, I like puzzles, I'll do a B.S. in Applied Mathematics.
Gee, I can't find a job.

Physics is fun, they blow stuff up sometimes, I'll do a B.S. in Applied Physics
Gee, I can't find a job.

OK, now I need a job. I'll do a B.S. in Electrical Engineering

I went directly for option three even though I preferred to do a physics degree.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-21-2012, 12:36 PM
New word:

Herpetology is the branch of zoology concerned with the study of amphibians (including frogs, toads, salamanders, newts, and gymnophiona) and reptiles.

That would be me. I am the guy you want around for identification, removal, care, etc of reptiles/amphibians. I can also milk venomous snakes and make antivenin as well as make use of reptillian venoms and secreted toxins for hunting/defense purposes. I can also do the same with marine and fresh water species and have adavanced knowledge of care for many mammals. My real passion in life though is junk, history, archaeology and restoration/ preservation of artifacts and antiques.

pcosmar
08-21-2012, 12:44 PM
My real passion in life though is junk, history, archaeology and restoration/ preservation of artifacts and antiques.

I should have added that to mine.. Yes, I am a Garboligist. (dumpster diver)

fatjohn
08-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Aerospace software, simulation, GPS, electric power training.

Broadcast Engineer, Rocket Engineer.

Interesting.

I remember a thread in 08 from a kid who wanted to broadcast a RP book in outer space and wondered if we could put the funds together to launch it into orbit. I was hesitant back then, but now... well it just might have worked :).

I'm graduating as a space engineer after having attained a B.S. in Aerospace engineering. Currently simulating launcher trajectories. No skills for when the dark ages fall upon us once again sadly.

erowe1
08-21-2012, 12:52 PM
I know a couple major RP supporters with PhDs in Chemical Engineering and one with a PhD in math. But I don't think any of them ever post here. If there's something they might want to be involved in I can get in touch with them about it.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
08-21-2012, 03:40 PM
They expired. I got them at Job Corps in Texas. I didn't have any interest in being a CNA, but we had to complete a trade to do something more advanced. I wanted to go for Pharmacy Tech, but they were going to make me wait 4 months there with nothing else to do so I left. Did you know you can be arrested for not helping someone if you have your CPR license? So now I know CPR without that BS hanging over my shoulder :)

Did not know that. I have the same CPR certification required for health care workers, but never planned to be a health care worker... just wanted the knowledge. Not sure what the status of my cert is currently. (and don't care)

bolil
08-21-2012, 03:43 PM
I am a writer in the thinking stages.

jjockers
08-21-2012, 04:13 PM
M.S. in Nuclear Astrophysics
Working as an actuary (days away from ASA designation).

Natural Citizen
08-21-2012, 04:29 PM

Actuary specifically relevant to the astrophysics/application? Or no? Is an interesting field looking forward if you're young.

heavenlyboy34
08-21-2012, 04:37 PM
I am a writer in the thinking stages.
Try the snowflake method if you're writing fiction. It may be useful in some sorts of non-fiction as well. :)

Rothbardian Girl
08-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Nice! I was looking into becoming an actuary myself, but I'm a long way from being prepared. Is it OK to come to you with questions if I should ever have any? I don't think it's likely I'll have any right now, but I'd love to have that option open.

Demigod
08-21-2012, 05:05 PM
From what I see freedom is the most popular with engineers ( especially electrical ones ) and machinists ( mostly welders ) .There are more engineers here than in some African countries.

jjockers
08-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Actuary specifically relevant to the astrophysics/application? Or no? Is an interesting field looking forward if you're young.

Na, the two are not directly related. The skillsets are similar, though.

Nice! I was looking into becoming an actuary myself, but I'm a long way from being prepared. Is it OK to come to you with questions if I should ever have any? I don't think it's likely I'll have any right now, but I'd love to have that option open.

Absolutely. Send me a PM whenever and I'll be glad to help however possible. The job/career is fun, rewarding, challenging, etc -- definitely a good choice.

Natural Citizen
08-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Na, the two are not directly related. The skillsets are similar, though.

Was just curious. Could be said that they will be though. Or more broadly accepted to be, I should say, since they actually can and do relate depending upon where in the application(s) one accepts the relevance. In fact we're seeing it happen now as far different applications develop/conform to public perception/practical use itself looking forward.

Thanks for the feedback though. Am always interested in how far along institutions have evolved. I assumed you were practicing relevant to the science(s).

bunklocoempire
08-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Bunk-you get by just doing brazing? :eek: How? Any decent welder can do brazing and all the other major processes. And if you can get a TIG welder, you'll like it better than for many purposes. (at least, I do FWIW)

My apologies, I meant that as I'm o-kay as a brazer. Quite often those cutting attachments (pic) need their brass heads re-brazed onto the stainless-steel tubes. I can get those heads to not leak, stay on, and perform.

As welding is quite an art, so is brazing. I might have said it before, but if you're not going to be a good welder/brazer, then you had better be a good grinder.

I'm a pretty good ginder.:D:o

Could I get by with only my gas apparatus biz? If I was a single guy with some lifestyle changes yes I could. Currently our household/responsibilites require two incomes.

MelissaWV
08-21-2012, 05:27 PM
From what I see freedom is the most popular with engineers ( especially electrical ones ) and machinists ( mostly welders ) .There are more engineers here than in some African countries.

That is what the OP specifically asked for. There are a whole lot of other careers represented on the boards :)

low preference guy
08-21-2012, 05:28 PM
That is what the OP specifically asked for. There are a whole lot of other careers represented on the boards :)

etc is included in the OP. that's why i mentioned my career.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
08-21-2012, 05:29 PM

You are correct, but I think you have the cart and horse in the opposite direction. I'd say freedom is most popular with INTJ and INTP types... who usually find themselves in those professions because they are well suited for them. They are analyzers, measurement takers, system builders, and truth tellers.

amy31416
08-21-2012, 05:39 PM
I see what happened there:

Math is fun, I like puzzles, I'll do a B.S. in Applied Mathematics.
Gee, I can't find a job.

Physics is fun, they blow stuff up sometimes, I'll do a B.S. in Applied Physics
Gee, I can't find a job.

OK, now I need a job. I'll do a B.S. in Electrical Engineering

I went directly for option three even though I preferred to do a physics degree.

Good choice--physics is like the philosophy degree of the science world.

angelatc
08-21-2012, 05:45 PM
That would be me. I am the guy you want around for identification, removal, care, etc of reptiles/amphibians. I can also milk venomous snakes and make antivenin as well as make use of reptillian venoms and secreted toxins for hunting/defense purposes. I can also do the same with marine and fresh water species and have adavanced knowledge of care for many mammals. My real passion in life though is junk, history, archaeology and restoration/ preservation of artifacts and antiques.

Me too. I love love love old things. Sometimes I wish I didn't, because it would make decorating much easier if I could throw it all out and buy stuff that actually matched. That's why I love eBay. Hooking up stuff with people who will love it is very gratifying.

amy31416
08-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Me too. I love love love old things. Sometimes I wish I didn't, because it would make decorating much easier if I could throw it all out and buy stuff that actually matched. That's why I love eBay. Hooking up stuff with people who will love it is very gratifying.

What kind of old stuff? I have a small collection of antique tech stuff but don't much get into other types of antiques, even though I have a couple of things.

raystone
08-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Masters in Industrial/Organizational Psychology. Published in scientific journals.

More important skills now for TEOTWAWKI: Raising pastured chickens, grassfed beef, and all the chemical free veggies you can eat.

Natural Citizen
08-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Organizational Psychology.

Am reminded of the Bobs and those TPS reports. Remember the Bobs? They were a hoot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SoWNMNKNeM).

Toureg89
08-22-2012, 11:26 AM
We also spam webbernet polls and harass right-wing talk show hosts. Don't sell us short! ;) :D
blah blah blah posted in the wrong thread...

Toureg89
08-22-2012, 01:01 PM
lol, sorry wrong thread. epic fail

Icymudpuppy
08-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Wildlife Biologist. Specializing in Structural Pest Nuisance Animals.

MelissaWV
08-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Wildlife Biologist. Specializing in Structural Pest Nuisance Animals.

I like your moxie :)

specsaregood
08-26-2012, 09:11 AM

I've got some great tonka toys as old as me for my kid on ebay. With no prejudicial influence, I can say they are among his favorite toys, they are clanky and noisy compared to the modern chinese plastic equivalent and he loves em that way.

pacelli
08-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Masters in Industrial/Organizational Psychology. Published in scientific journals.

More important skills now for TEOTWAWKI: Raising pastured chickens, grassfed beef, and all the chemical free veggies you can eat.

clinical doc here.. :):

oyarde
08-26-2012, 12:18 PM
I have rarely used the things I am educated in for work , mostly , for my hobbies.

jdcole
02-02-2013, 06:54 PM
I am mostly an electronics/communications guy, myself. Currently working as a VSAT engineer in Afghanistan, though most of my experience lies in network engineering/network security.

Aeroneous
02-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Engineer and MBA student. Used to work in avionics but I have since switched to clinical chemistry/immunology diagnostic systems with one of the big pharma companies (probably the less evil of the bunch).

Confederate
02-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Engineer and MBA student. Used to work in avionics but I have since switched to clinical chemistry/immunology diagnostic systems with one of the big pharma companies (probably the less evil of the bunch).

Which one, if you don't mind me asking?

Aeroneous
02-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Which one, if you don't mind me asking?

PMd you.

ronpaulhawaii
02-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Button Pusher/Schmoozer/Grenade Boy

satchelmcqueen
02-02-2013, 11:12 PM
cert in auto paint and body, cert emt basic (couldnt cope with the dying kids), electrician, land surveyor, musician (drums, bass, guitar), master tinkerer lol, man of many handyman/mechanical talents.

kmalm585
02-03-2013, 12:06 AM
BS in Accounting - Worked as a Corporate Accountant keeping track of Financial Statements.
Working on a BS in Computer Science w/ a Minor in Business Administration. Hoping to get in to Software Design/Engineering, mainly smartphone/tablet applications.
Web Developer (more just a hobby).
Amateur Game Designer (hobby).
History nerd.
Avid hunter.

rprprs
02-03-2013, 10:10 AM
*Professional* Masturbater = Does your left hand pay the right hand? :p

No.
You see, that's the thing about we professionals.
Our 'anatomy' dictates that we employ both hands simultaneously.

lol... truth, or wishful thinking? I ain't sayin'.

Nirvikalpa
02-03-2013, 10:32 AM
cert in auto paint and body, cert emt basic (couldnt cope with the dying kids), electrician, land surveyor, musician (drums, bass, guitar), master tinkerer lol, man of many handyman/mechanical talents.

Shit, I'm moving to your area.

You are correct, but I think you have the cart and horse in the opposite direction. I'd say freedom is most popular with INTJ and INTP types... who usually find themselves in those professions because they are well suited for them. They are analyzers, measurement takers, system builders, and truth tellers.

While I agree it seems most activists are INTJ(P)/ENTJ(P), even as a scientist who loves science with every inch of her being... I've never been a "science-minded" individual (NTJ)... but I'm glad I am different, I suppose. ISFP, which probably explains why I like action-based science (in-your-face, dealing with people, quick problem solving, liking to help) opposed to doing lab and research work.

FindLiberty
02-04-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm weak in the math area, but I do have the other's mentioned in the OP question more than covered ...in an un-official sort of way. BTW, I never just said any of that!

jcannon98188
02-04-2013, 01:25 PM
BS in Accounting - Worked as a Corporate Accountant keeping track of Financial Statements.
Working on a BS in Computer Science w/ a Minor in Business Administration. Hoping to get in to Software Design/Engineering, mainly smartphone/tablet applications.
Web Developer (more just a hobby).
Amateur Game Designer (hobby).
History nerd.
Avid hunter.

What languages do you do your gamedev and webdev work in?

Anyways, I'm a amateur computer programmer, doing gamedev and webdev trying to make it a career. Working on getting into college so I can get a CS degree.

kmalm585
02-04-2013, 01:35 PM
What languages do you do your gamedev and webdev work in?

Anyways, I'm a amateur computer programmer, doing gamedev and webdev trying to make it a career. Working on getting into college so I can get a CS degree.

GameDev I use Java, and WebDev I work with PHP and JavaScript(Obv. along w/ HTML & CSS)

Carsten2012b
02-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Still in high-school at the moment, but aspiring to become a music theorist/composer/arranger, an economist, and a member of a criminal gang known as Group 535. :)

AFPVet
02-04-2013, 02:16 PM
I have a BGS from Indiana University. I focused on public & environmental affairs as well as acoustical sciences/musical therapy. I do general research for fun. I am not a specialized geek... just a geek of multiple trades lol.

opal
02-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Yes.

;)

Well hi ya! and welcome to God's waiting room - you're not up here on the panhandle are ya?