PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Brunner Preparing for Akin Dropout Scenario

Brian4Liberty
08-20-2012, 01:10 PM
http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2012/08/primary-rival-p.php

Both of the congressman's Republican primary opponents have been active since the controversy erupted. Former state Treasurer Sarah Steelman posted a denunciation in a tweet ("Todd Akin's remarks about 'legitimate rape' were inexcusable, insulting and embarrassing to the GOP"). And businessman John Brunner has been making exploratory phone calls, according to a GOP strategist in Missouri.

Brian4Liberty
08-20-2012, 01:13 PM
John Brunner came in second in the Primary election with 30 percent. It would be a slap in the face to voters if the GOP State committee chose anyone other than Brunner.

...John Brunner, who received 30 percent of the vote in the race.

No candidate would automatically take Akin’s place if he leaves the race. The Republican state committee would have two weeks to name a replacement.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/losing-candidates-in-gop-senate-primary-get-new-attention-after-winners-comments-about-rape/2012/08/20/4ef03742-eae2-11e1-866f-60a00f604425_story.html

kathy88
08-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Akin really did it with that remark. What a bufoon.

trey4sports
08-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Woot woot!!!!!!!!!!

Brian4Liberty
08-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Akin was on Hannity's radio show. He is asking for forgiveness at this point. Hannity pushed the dropping out option for the good of the Party. Akin isn't doing it (yet).

sparebulb
08-20-2012, 02:08 PM
John Brunner came in second in the Primary election with 30 percent. It would be a slap in the face to voters if the GOP State committee chose anyone other than Brunner.

I agree. Even though Brunner is a shill for big corporate agriculture.

4RP08inKCMO
08-20-2012, 02:09 PM
I just found this article on Drudge where Brunner is not even listed as a possible replacement. :mad:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bensmith/republican-source-akin-moving-to-withdraw

GeorgiaAvenger
08-20-2012, 03:16 PM
This big money such as Crossroads is pulling out. National Review has called on Akin to leave.

If he stays, he loses the establishment support. He has until 5 P.M. tomorrow to decide.

trey4sports
08-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Akin will be lambasted if he stays.

easycougar
08-20-2012, 03:35 PM
I just found this article on Drudge where Brunner is not even listed as a possible replacement. :mad:

What a completely horrible list of replacements: John Ashcroft, Jim Talent, Kit Bond...establishment re-treads

musicmax
08-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Let's see 'em draft one of the Limbaughs.

JK

GeorgiaAvenger
08-20-2012, 03:49 PM
I emailed the campaign telling them to drop out.

trey4sports
08-20-2012, 03:54 PM
hopefully crossroads pulling out (no pun intended) is putting some pressure on him.

Brian4Liberty
08-20-2012, 03:55 PM

Something doesn't smell right with this. The GOP establishment is jumping on the "dump Akin" bandwagon far too easy.

And the fact that they want to ignore the other contenders in the Primary race is of interest. At this point, I would urge Akin to stay in the race.

erowe1
08-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Something doesn't smell right with this. The GOP establishment is jumping on the "dump Akin" bandwagon far too easy.

And the fact that they want to ignore the other contenders in the Primary race is of interest. At this point, I would urge Akin to stay in the race.

Very astute.

GeorgiaAvenger
08-20-2012, 04:03 PM

And the fact that they want to ignore the other contenders in the Primary race is of interest. At this point, I would urge Akin to stay in the race.Its because they don't want to lose the seat to Claire.

Brian4Liberty
08-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Its because they don't want to lose the seat to Claire.

That's always in play, but when it's their favored candidate, it takes a lot more than a single gaff for them to call for a candidate to drop out. Newt Gingrich for example, could practically say anything.

GeorgiaAvenger
08-20-2012, 04:19 PM
That's always in play, but when it's their favored candidate, it takes a lot more than a single gaff for them to call for a candidate to drop out. Newt Gingrich for example, could practically say anything.

Just because he is their favorite, doesn't mean he is inseparable from them. Republican insiders were scared about Haley Barbour running for President, because he hurt their chances, even though he is probably the most loyal party guy there is.

trey4sports
08-20-2012, 04:21 PM
“What he said is just flat wrong in addition to being wildly offensive to any victim of sexual abuse,” said Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the minority leader. “Although Representative Akin has apologized, I believe he should take time with his family to consider whether this statement will prevent him from effectively representing our party in this critical election.”

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-mcconnell-suggests-todd-akin-consider-his-options-20120820,0,5243455.story

erowe1
08-20-2012, 04:21 PM

Their favorite in the primary isn't necessarily the same thing as their favorite when they get to anoint someone without a primary.

Lucille
08-20-2012, 04:53 PM

Probably to distance him from Romney-Ryan. From your post in the other Akin thread:

Akin and Ryan cosponsored a 2011 bill, the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortions Act, that would redefine rape as "forcible rape," narrowing the scope of what's considered rape in cases of abortion.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/...5#.UDKsMqNQTk8

It's true though that everything the neo-Trot establishment does is suspect, and you always have to look for their ulterior motives.

Brian4Liberty
08-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Their favorite in the primary isn't necessarily the same thing as their favorite when they get to anoint someone without a primary.

It seems they are drooling at that prospect...

Peace&Freedom
08-20-2012, 10:00 PM

That's what I think as well. Not knowing Akin in depth, I had the immediate feeling, "ah, the establishment shills are pouncing on a gaffe to force a more principled or tea party type guy out, to put a bland Mitt-bot in his place."

sparebulb
08-20-2012, 10:55 PM
That's what I think as well. Not knowing Akin in depth, I had the immediate feeling, "ah, the establishment shills are pouncing on a gaffe to force a more principled or tea party type guy out, to put a bland Mitt-bot in his place."

I smell a rat also.

I am convinced that the GOP establishment would much rather have a democrat in office than a real conservative...not that Akin has convinced me that he is one.

Bastiat's The Law
08-21-2012, 05:20 AM
Missouri start banging the John Brunner drums NOW!! He's the rightful replacement.

kathy88
08-21-2012, 05:24 AM
Facebook comment:

Does Akin know that if he pulls out now, he can still get the Senate pregnant?

sparebulb
08-21-2012, 08:55 AM
I emailed the campaign telling them to drop out.

NOTE: I'm not necessarily an Akin fan, but I did vote for him.

Your suggestion should carry more weight if you are a Missouri resident. If you are not, one could make the argument that such input from non-residents does not respect the will of the voters of Missouri.

Akin's dumbass comments would have died down quickly had it not been for the establishment GOP throwing him under the bus in a pathetic attempt to act like politically-correct genderless democrats.