PDA

View Full Version : Susan Stimpson for Lt. Gov. 2013

VAMole
08-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Does anyone know anything about Susan Stimpson, chairwoman of the Stafford Co. BoS? The blog rumors are that she's going to announce for Lt. Gov. this week, and judging from some of the names confirmed to "attend" her FB announcement, she seems like she's one of ours.

Rebelrouser
08-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Looking at her facebook page, she seems to be a bit of a fiscal hawk and not afraid to point out corruption. Too bad she isn't on the Board up here in Prince William. She seems to be a lot easier on the wallet than ̶B̶o̶s̶s̶ ̶H̶o̶g̶g̶ Corey Stewart, as well as on the eyes.

Rebelrouser
08-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Its official. http://susanstimpson.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Susan-B-Stimpson-for-Virginia-Lt-Governor-2013/410309669029870

cjm
08-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Her web page just has her announcement video and the Facebook page requires login (which I don't have). Does she have any issue positions posted on FB?

Rebelrouser
08-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Her web page just has her announcement video and the Facebook page requires login (which I don't have). Does she have any issue positions posted on FB?

This video is pretty much it at the moment. http://youtu.be/_l7nCm-xOoI

Spotsylvania-4-Liberty
11-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Got this email from Jeff Frederick. He and his wife are legit pro-liberty folks. Susan Stimpson has a history of stomping out the grassroots that we should be aware of.

"And, with one election year behind us, we in Virginia get to look forward to another just around the corner. Before we get much deeper into the campaigns, I wanted to share my thoughts with you on two of those races: Lieutenant Governor (LG) and Attorney General (AG).

For LG, Amy and I will be supporting our friend and (now) delegate Scott Lingamfelter. Scott and I served together in the House of Delegates where we were close allies. He was there for me in my tough re-election efforts, and in the early stages of my campaign for state party chairman, he offered his support without hesitation. Scott also was among the first people to encourage me to run for the state Senate last year. In that race, he went beyond the call of duty in helping me to lock up the nomination and was a true partner for the general election campaign. Additionally, it is worth mentioning that he served our nation in combat as an Army officer, retiring a Colonel. He is grounded by his wife Shelley, and is the father of three.

But in addition to all of that, Scott has a long and diverse voting record – and I can tell you it’s solid. During his time in elective office, he’s fought the right battles and has always stood strong for freedom and liberty. We can count on him to continue that fight as Lt. Governor, evidenced not simply because he says the right things now that he is seeking higher office, but rather because he’s got nearly 10 years of votes and sponsored legislation to prove it.

Finally, and importantly, for a guy who has spent his life in serving his Commonwealth and his country, having been awarded two titles of high honor (Delegate and Colonel), the titles he values most are husband and father. His service is rooted in faith and family. Period.

With respect to AG, we’re supporting Rob Bell, another former colleague of mine in the House of Delegates. I don’t think many would disagree that in his 5 terms in the House, Rob – a former state prosecutor – has distinguished himself as a top leader on judicial and criminal justice issues. There isn’t a property rights or criminal justice law passed over the last decade that didn’t have Rob’s fingerprints on it, and more likely, one that he wasn’t taking the lead on. Virginia is a safer place to live, work, and raise a family because of Rob’s work. Really. He is beyond qualified for the AG job.

Rob also has a solid voting record on all issues important to conservatives like me; he co-authored the Property Rights Amendment that just passed; is an Eagle Scout; and is married with two kids. Plus, Rob understands better than most that he works for the people who he represents and sets the standard for many in being responsive and accessible to his constituents. We often compared notes on that.

And, for both Scott and Rob, I’ve never seen either of them cast aside friends or principal in pursuit of some short term political opportunity. Which brings me to…

While I always prefer to be for someone than against someone, I’d be remiss if I wasn’t completely candid with you about serious doubts I have about a couple other candidates running for these offices.

During my time in public office I quickly learned that the real test of one’s character and commitment isn't simply what they say. Talk is cheap. Rather it is how one conducts themselves -- and more specifically, what they choose to do or not do when the heat is on. Are they consistent when the pressure is unbearable, or are they quick to sell out to relieve that pressure? Further, in this time when so many politicians say one thing and do another, I think it is instructive to take any and every opportunity to look beyond the rhetoric and try to determine who a candidate really is.

There are two people I’d like to warn you about.

I got to know Susan Stimpson (who is running for LG) during my time as RPV Chairman and in the period prior when I was seeking that job. I considered her a friend. Yet, she was a strong ally of Bill Howell (she owes her current elective office to his blessing in her seeking it). When she announced her candidacy for LG and in the subsequent time since, her rhetoric has reflected the exact opposite of the person I knew. Of course, she sounds great now (convenient as she pursues statewide office), but my experience is that she is a top-down establishment Republican who is more interested in position and power rather than her recent claims to be about people and principle. It is only because her public record is so brief that she has been so effective at leading others to believe she's something she is not. And, I should mention that she was among the loudest voices in supporting the effort to reverse the will of the grassroots in removing me as state chairman.

Unlike Susan, Mark Obenshain (running for AG) does have a long voting record, and, in all honesty – it’s not bad. But for someone who I counted on as a friend and an ally in the legislature, I was shocked to find Mark’s name on a letter calling for my removal as RPV chairman. When I called him on it at the time, the best excuse he could muster was that he was now in the state senate party leadership and he had to go along with the other senate GOP leadership in coming out against me. Now, if he’s willing to compromise friends and principle because of some "leadership" position, it seems it wouldn't take much for him to "go along" when something of real importance hangs in the balance -- when politics dictates that doing so will further one's ambitions -- and especially for someone who is pursuing a position of even greater leadership.

I hesitated sharing this less-than-positive information with you, but putting aside any personal animosity I may have for these two people, there are few truly defining moments in political careers, particularly young careers. The battle – not for my chairmanship—but for our efforts to create a bottom-up, grassroots controlled, and effective Republican Party of Virginia was one of those watershed moments for our Party and these two people chose to stand with the status quo and the corrupt party establishment instead of the very grassroots they now claim to represent.

The nominations for these offices will be determined by a statewide Republican convention. If you’re interested in participating, please pay close attention to announcements from your local GOP unit committee on the process in becoming a delegate to the state convention. Generally, everyone/anyone who wants to go can, but you must participate in the process to get there – which will start not long after the new year. Feel free to reach out to any of the campaigns for further information – I’m certain they’d receive your interest enthusiastically. Of course, I’m happy to help however I can too."

Lightweis
11-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Scott Lingamfelter is a neocon. Avoid at all costs.

Cuccinelli, Stimpson and Obenshain is who 99 percent of the Ron Paul people are supporting in Virginia

thoughtomator
11-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Funny coincidence, I just signed up at Stimpson's site to be a convention delegate for her last night, while doing research on the candidates.

I'm still not sold on either Cuccinelli or Obenshain, but I'm open to be persuaded.

cjm
12-01-2012, 10:08 AM
I haven't taken a close look at any of the 2013 candidates yet, but I definitely like this:

100% defender of gun rights, including “constitutional carry”

I don't think I've seen "constitutional carry" on a candidate's web site before. She might be the real thing.

thoughtomator
12-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Word has it that Stimpson rocked the house at RPV Advance today.

sailingaway
12-01-2012, 06:46 PM
LT gov? I hope we're just grooming her for better things....

thoughtomator
12-01-2012, 07:00 PM
She appears to be the best candidate in the Lt. Gov. race; if she intends a higher level office one day she can make her case by performing the job well. Lt. Gov is not the hardest job in town so it will be interesting to see how she uses the office if she gets it.

I'm less concerned about grassroots politics than I am about a sober evaluation of what she has done with the offices she has held in the past. In terms of actually getting things done on issues of importance, her record looks pretty darn good to me, like a genuine fiscal AND small government conservative. I don't see anyone else in the race being able to make the same claim.

Spotsylvania-4-Liberty
12-03-2012, 10:14 AM
I'm less concerned about grassroots politics than I am about a sober evaluation of what she has done with the offices she has held in the past. In terms of actually getting things done on issues of importance, her record looks pretty darn good to me, like a genuine fiscal AND small government conservative. I don't see anyone else in the race being able to make the same claim.

After what happened to us in Tampa and what the party did to Mr. Frederick (who is a major Ron Paul supporter) I can't believe anyone would take that position.

I live in the adjacent county. The Ron Paul supporters in Stafford aren't singing her praises including one of the main trainers of the C4L classes and the Ron Paul legacy dinner. In fact, he insisted that the 3rd district GOP chair(who used to be the Ron Paul state chair) did not endorse her which he did anyway. She has been the chair of a Republican Board of Supervisors and all she has is the BPOL repeal and lowered property taxes a whopping 25 dollars per year while raising assessments anyways. Meanwhile we bash a candidate with a better record, actual Richmond experience and a better chance to win...give me a break.

I'm not writing just to bash Stimpson, in fact, if she won the LG primary, I would be very excited as she is my 2nd pick. But be careful of making heroes just because one RP guy supports her...especially when there is another candidate in the race with a better record and actual experience in Richmond. Considering Lingamfelter's record is virtually identical with Cuccinelli's state senate record.

These supervisors try to make themselves heroes and get away with it because 99% of those at the convention don't know them well enough to call the out.

The LG seat is very important. With it being the tie-breaking vote in a senate split 20/20 between Democrats and Republicans and the potential of Cuccinelli being the governor, if we have someone who caved under pressure from the establishment on something like the chair of the RPV, they will likely do the same on a controversial pro-liberty piece of legislation. If that's the case, it won't matter who is the governor because the LG will vote against it or get the 4-5 moderate senators to kill it committee or vote against it to keep their noises clear. (McDonnell did this all the time with Senators Wagner, Watkins, Norment, Stosch and Blevins to avoid him from having to sign anything controversial when he was trying to be the VP pick and to keep Bolling's nose clean too).

Lightweis
12-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Are you seriously considering voting for Lingamfelter?? He is the biggest neocon in Virginia. When he faced off against our Ron paul candidate for platform committee, (WHICH HE LOST) he advocated for us sending troops into Iran and Sryia. YUCK

thoughtomator
12-05-2012, 09:13 AM
The thing that drives my thinking is that while Republicans who claim they would cut budgets are common, Republicans who actually do that once they get a taste of power are extremely rare. I can't write off someone who is one of the few who have actually done it.

Spotsylvania-4-Liberty
02-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Well I'll take back what I said about Scott Lingamfelter.

http://scottforva.com/content/ron-paul-said-what-he-meant-and-meant-what-he-said

It stinks to see someone I mostly agree with use this tragic situation to capitalize on the anti-Ron Paul sentiment in the party as a way to improve their stance in the LG race.

It is almost as bad as Jeannemarrie Davis using 9/11 anniversaries as a fundraiser.

Going after Rand Paul at the end was a dick move.

Still not 100% sold on Susan though. I know a lot of "non-establishment" Ron Paul supporters, if there is such thing, are getting behind E.W. Jackson. He had a strong showing at the Fredericksburg Patriots Candidate Forum.

I'd be alright with either one.

Lightweis
02-05-2013, 08:49 PM
ARE you serious?? Jackson is a neocon who supports the patriot act and NDAA. MY GOD

Spotsylvania-4-Liberty
02-07-2013, 08:21 AM
I know plenty of Ron Paul supporters headed towards Jackson. You'd be surprised James.

Spotsylvania-4-Liberty
02-07-2013, 08:22 AM
No need to attack anyone that isn't Stimpson just because they are running against your candidate.

Jackson spoke specifically against the NDAA and Patriot Act when asked at the Fredericksburg Patriots' Forum by Ron Paul supporters and even talked up the legislation VA-C4L is pushing in Richmond to limit the damage done by both.

This "my guy or no one at all" attitude has got to stop. Especially when there are other solid candidates on the same ticket.

If Jackson somehow was still in the race and Stimpson was eliminated before him...and all that could stop Snyder was Jackson, you wouldn't vote for him at the convention?

You got to keep in mind you're going to have to win some delegates of the candidates who will be eliminated in the first two or three rounds of voting in order to win at the convention.

Tearing apart other generally pro-liberty candidates is going to make it that much harder.

frodus24
02-07-2013, 09:27 AM
When I visited Washington and Lee University a couple of weeks ago to hear Ron speak at his college kick off tour, I had the opportunity to shake her hand. I introduced myself to her. Immediately after, there was a pizza meet-n-greet with her, but I tackled the weather elements to meet Ron and shake his hand. The only thing I know about her is that she is running for Lt. Govenor here in VA. As a VA resident, I will have to research her though.

Lightweis
02-10-2013, 12:20 PM
I know plenty of Ron Paul supporters headed towards Jackson. You'd be surprised James.

Your right. Jackson has definitely improved since the last time I asked him questions. I don't think he can run an actual campaign though. A good speech yes. I need to see more from him.

thoughtomator
03-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Check this out - big time dirty tricks being pulled against Stimpson - spot the fake comment posters:

http://bearingdrift.com/2013/03/04/breaking-stafford-gop-supervisor-paul-milde-announces-for-corey-stewart/

Spotsylvania-4-Liberty
03-11-2013, 08:28 AM
This isn't cool guys. I'm loosing faith in Stimpson by the day. Even Donna Holt, a Stimspon supporter, has came out against slating.

http://bearingdrift.com/2013/03/10/slating-becomes-scandal-in-virginia-lg-race/

Todd
03-11-2013, 09:01 AM
beware of paid candidate stooges who pose as forum regulars.

cjm
03-11-2013, 09:07 AM
This isn't cool guys. I'm loosing faith in Stimpson by the day. Even Donna Holt, a Stimspon supporter, has came out against slating.

http://bearingdrift.com/2013/03/10/slating-becomes-scandal-in-virginia-lg-race/

"Bearing Drift" is often referred to as "Bearing Left" down in this part of the state. This is just a hit piece. I recommend reading this account: It Wasn't a Slate, Guys (http://swvaconservative.wordpress.com/2013/03/10/it-wasnt-a-slate-guys/).

March 10, 2013 Politics, Virginia Politics 3 Comments
It Wasn’t A Slate, Guys
by sdgilleran

Here are the facts, from someone who was there.
First, the Stimpson campaign was not involved. Before I came on board with the Stimpson campaign, I specifically wanted to know what their thoughts were on slating. I am adamantly anti-slating, and I’ve discussed the topic with enough people that my opinions should be well-known. I agree that the Party Plan should be amended to remove known Democrats, etc. at the state credentials committee level. If I felt that this was a slate, I would not have agreed to participate.
There were 27 voters at the Mass Meeting. 26 ballots were cast; the majority to elect was 14. It was not necessary to receive a unanimous vote, as the Bearing Drift post claimed. In fact, I believe all potential delegates received at least one vote against. Susan Edwards, who is State Central from the 9th District, counted the ballots.
There were 12 persons pre-filed to be delegate. 9 were elected. The three not elected were three former members of the CCRC – the former chair and his wife, and another member. One of those people had voted in a Democratic primary in the last five years, and if Greg L. from BVBL can move to remove Maureen Caddigan, that person was justifiably removed as well. It’s also been claimed that known Democrats were appointed to the Electoral Board during the previous chairman’s tenure. One can argue about the old guard v. new guard thing and whether it was right to not elect them. Had I been a Craig County voter, I would have voted for them. Ultimately, however, their candidate preference had nothing to do with their non-election; the Craig County delegation will not be 100% Stimpson. In fact, the filing of at least one Stimpson supporter was rejected for being late. In any event, Jordan actually had no idea that one was a Martin supporter until I spoke with a Martin staffer about the incident later that night.
With regard to Justin Higgins‘ claim that the “slating” was illegal, Justin should understand that the Rules adopted by the Mass Meeting supersede RONR. The Rules of the Mass Meeting stated that the election of Delegates would occur by secret ballot and that a majority was necessary to election. Here’s the relevant rule(s):

7. Elections shall require a majority of the total Mass Meeting vote as certified by the Credentials Committee. There shall be no cumulative voting.

11. Voting on the Election of Delegates shall be conducted by secret ballot, and administered by the Vote Counting and Resolution Committee as appointed by the Chair.

[EDIT: Justin and I have had a colloquy about the situation; his argument is that the rules as written only provided for a ballot vote on the 12 potential delegates as one whole bloc. I think that's reading the rules overly literally; the clear intention was that the delegates were to be voted on individually. Justin is the first person to advance that reading. The minutes of the Mass Meeting will clarify exactly what happened around the nomination of delegates.]
At the end of the day, a Mass Meeting has the right to not elect people they don’t want to be Delegates for whatever reason. Appointing Democrats to the Republican seats on the Electoral Board; voting in Democratic primaries; and running a dead Republican committee (one simply cannot deny the difference in the CCRC between the old Committee and the new one) are very justifiable reasons not to elect if a mass meeting has that power. I respect that there’s a fine line between that and slating, and in a small county like Craig, it may have the same effect. But this was not a slate.

Todd
03-11-2013, 01:40 PM
This is all you need to know folks.

Since retiring from the military, he has worked for the private sector focused on strategic planning in support of the senior leadership for the U.S. Missile Defense Agency in Washington, D.C. Additionally, he has worked in the emergency management and homeland security arena in support of Federal agencies, states and localities.

http://bearingdrift.com/2013/02/06/ron-pauls-live-by-the-sword-die-by-the-sword-comment-stuns-americans-military/

http://www.vote4scott.com/content/ron-paul-said-what-he-meant-and-meant-what-he-said

I served 28 years in the United States Army. I swore a sacred oath on the same Constitution that Congressman Ron Paul did. It sickens me that our party -- the party of Reagan -- could put on a Republican stage a candidate who holds our party, our process, our principles and our nation in such utter contempt.

P.S. As expected, Senator Rand Paul tried to paper over his father’s words. Don’t you believe it. Today, everyone who ever has served in the military knows exactly what Dr. Paul and some of his supporters think about our country. I have never been more certain of why I am running for the Republican nomination for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia than I am on this day. Please stand with me

I haven't made my decision yet on LTG....but I'm certainly more wary of Lingamfelter than I am of Stimpson.

Might also want to pass on to your buddy that since Rand's star is rising, he might want to remove that post from his site, else it get wider attention that he isn't on the right side of "Conservatism" that's currently trending.

Oh and BTW....I've served in the military for 25 years and was not offended at this. Some of us are sick of the game you all play with us as your little corporate pawns.

Todd
03-14-2013, 06:06 AM
bump.

Any more information on Susan?

cjm
03-14-2013, 08:39 AM
bump.

Any more information on Susan?

Are you looking for anything in particular?

Todd
03-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Are you looking for anything in particular?

Mostly gauging how the liberty community sees her compared with other LTG candidates. Not much info......except for the Linkamfelter apologist above.

cjm
03-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Mostly gauging how the liberty community sees her compared with other LTG candidates. Not much info......except for the Linkamfelter apologist above.

Ah. Well, I still haven't done much research myself. I have a conflict the weekend of the convention so I will not be going unless the conflict gets canceled (which is not likely). Susan did come to our unit meeting and I got a chance to talk to her 1x1 for about 15 minutes afterwards. I wouldn't call her a liberty candidate, but she's definitely a fiscal conservative. From what I've gathered in discussions with other liberty activists, she and Jackson are the best things going for liberty minded voters and the vast majority are getting behind those two down here in the greater Roanoke Valley area. If I were to vote today, I'd vote for Stimpson over Jackson.

thoughtomator
03-14-2013, 09:47 AM
I have spoken firsthand with both Stimpson and Jackson. While Jackson is otherwise pretty good, he's a war hawk. Doesn't matter much for LG, but Stimpson is a lot closer to being one of us overall.

This Snyder guy gives me the willies - very Manchurian vibes from that candidate.

thoughtomator
03-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Some news in this race - TPTB are apparently very afraid of Stimpson. Someone actually sent an anonymous email slamming her (for opposing a huge tax hike, go figure) to what appears to be the registered delegates list. This follows on the heels of several other attempts to generate fake scandals on the part of the establishment crowd.

cjm
03-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Some news in this race - TPTB are apparently very afraid of Stimpson. Someone actually sent an anonymous email slamming her (for opposing a huge tax hike, go figure) to what appears to be the registered delegates list. This follows on the heels of several other attempts to generate fake scandals on the part of the establishment crowd.

That Craig County slating charge is a complete fabrication btw. I've talked to some of the people that were there. No slating, just some local political drama. The committee that voted out the past chair last year also decided to vote the past chair and his wife off the delegate roll for the convention (plus one other person). It's just local drama being twisted into a state-wide fairy tale to attack Stimpson.

Spotsylvania-4-Liberty
03-18-2013, 06:20 AM
beware of paid candidate stooges who pose as forum regulars.

Easy there. I'm not getting paid. Stimpson is one of my top choices along with Jackson as with most people in this thread.

Since then, Donna Holt has also clarified what happened in the "so-called" slating incident.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

The establishment is very afraid of Stimpson and it appears as if this is another example of them fearing her.

Todd
03-18-2013, 07:09 AM
Easy there. I'm not getting paid. Stimpson is one of my top choices along with Jackson as with most people in this thread.

Since then, Donna Holt has also clarified what happened in the "so-called" slating incident.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

The establishment is very afraid of Stimpson and it appears as if this is another example of them fearing her.

No way. You came here pushing Linkamfelter. Do you really believe someone of his ilk will fly with people in this community?

BTW: There are alot more military person's here than you think that won't be falling for the following bullshit.

From Linkamfelter's own campaign website:

I served 28 years in the United States Army. I swore a sacred oath on the same Constitution that Congressman Ron Paul did. It sickens me that our party -- the party of Reagan -- could put on a Republican stage a candidate who holds our party, our process, our principles and our nation in such utter contempt.

P.S. As expected, Senator Rand Paul tried to paper over his father’s words. Don’t you believe it. Today, everyone who ever has served in the military knows exactly what Dr. Paul and some of his supporters think about our country. I have never been more certain of why I am running for the Republican nomination for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia than I am on this day. Please stand with me

This kind of blatant pseudo pro military jibberish isn't going to fly anymore. If you don't believe me, just watch Ricky Santorum over the next four years try to use this tactic and watch him crash and burn right back into obscurity where he belongs. People are sick of it. Including people in the military.

Yes.....Please tell me more about how "Pro Military" Linkamfelter is over Rand Paul and his father simply because he "served" (Many of us did). Seeing as how his civilian job is in direct conflict of interest with maintaining a constitutional "defensive military".

Yes the establishment is afraid of someone like Stimpson. Funny thing is that Linkamfelter fits that definition of establishment to a "T"

Spotsylvania-4-Liberty
03-20-2013, 01:07 PM
No way. You came here pushing Linkamfelter. Do you really believe someone of his ilk will fly with people in this community?

BTW: There are alot more military person's here than you think that won't be falling for the following bullshit.

From Linkamfelter's own campaign website:

This kind of blatant pseudo pro military jibberish isn't going to fly anymore. If you don't believe me, just watch Ricky Santorum over the next four years try to use this tactic and watch him crash and burn right back into obscurity where he belongs. People are sick of it. Including people in the military.

Yes.....Please tell me more about how "Pro Military" Linkamfelter is over Rand Paul and his father simply because he "served" (Many of us did). Seeing as how his civilian job is in direct conflict of interest with maintaining a constitutional "defensive military".

Yes the establishment is afraid of someone like Stimpson. Funny thing is that Linkamfelter fits that definition of establishment to a "T"

Yeah and I was the first one who reported his attacks on Rand and Ron.

"Well I'll take back what I said about Scott Lingamfelter.

http://scottforva.com/content/ron-pa...t-what-he-said

It stinks to see someone I mostly agree with use this tragic situation to capitalize on the anti-Ron Paul sentiment in the party as a way to improve their stance in the LG race.

It is almost as bad as Jeannemarrie Davis using 9/11 anniversaries as a fundraiser.

Going after Rand Paul at the end was a dick move.

Still not 100% sold on Susan though. I know a lot of "non-establishment" Ron Paul supporters, if there is such thing, are getting behind E.W. Jackson. He had a strong showing at the Fredericksburg Patriots Candidate Forum.

I'd be alright with either one. "

Thought this was a thread to vet candidates....my apologizes.