PDA

View Full Version : Idea: army of RP phone workers to call voters in NH and IA

mathamagician
11-18-2007, 01:02 PM
So okay if we got 1,000 volunteers to call 5 people per day for 50 days we would have made 250,000 calls. There are only about 1.3 million people (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004986.html) in New Hampshire and the average household size is 2.57 people (http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/GRTTable?_bm=y&-_box_head_nbr=R1105&-ds_name=ACS_2004_EST_G00_&-format=US-30).
So that means there are around 500,000 households. Which means that we would have individually spoken to 50% of the housholds.

We could do the same for Iowa, Nevada, and Wyoming if we have enough volunteers.

It's pretty easy to look up people's phone numbers on internet white pages and we could targeted cities and areas that have had higher libertarian or maverick voting records. In addition we could assign people a region or town and they could do some homework on that place and find out some of the local issues and explain how RP's philosophy would jive with that particular issue. I would be impressed if I got a call from someone who knew about our local issues.

All we need are the volunteers and someone to get the big list of names or to pass out cities and have a link to a good site to look up phone numbers

fez2008
11-18-2007, 01:15 PM
So okay if we got 1,000 volunteers to call 5 people per day for 50 days we would have made 250,000 calls. There are only about 1.3 million people (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004986.html) in New Hampshire and the average household size is 2.57 people (http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/GRTTable?_bm=y&-_box_head_nbr=R1105&-ds_name=ACS_2004_EST_G00_&-format=US-30).
So that means there are around 500,000 households. Which means that we would have individually spoken to 50% of the housholds.

We could do the same for Iowa, Nevada, and Wyoming if we have enough volunteers.

It's pretty easy to look up people's phone numbers on internet white pages and we could targeted cities and areas that have had higher libertarian or maverick voting records. In addition we could assign people a region or town and they could do some homework on that place and find out some of the local issues and explain how RP's philosophy would jive with that particular issue. I would be impressed if I got a call from someone who knew about our local issues.

All we need are the volunteers and someone to get the big list of names or to pass out cities and have a link to a good site to look up phone numbers

Good idea... few thoughts below..
1) All volunteers must be from the same state (i heard people take offense when out of state callers telll them to vote for a candidate)
2) If you take only registered republicans (independents in NH), the number of households to be contacted might just be 200k in IA/NH.
3) If the concentration is limited to 2000 primary/caucus voters, may be around 100k phone calls need to be made.

50k votes will win NH, 25k votes will win IA... (cased on 2000 primary numbers and current poll percentages)

me3
11-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Make sure any plans you come up with, including getting a script approved by people who know what they are doing.

The biggest help you can do with something like this is document the RP supporters, get their info and pass it on to Iowa HQ. They will need that info to make sure that all RP voters actually get out to the caucus. Getting people out, not just casually endorsing the candidate is the difference between winning and losing.

Make sure you identify RP supporters to the campaign with as much info as possible.

strategos
11-18-2007, 02:14 PM
great idea

american.swan
11-18-2007, 05:07 PM
If we don't do this, Ron Paul has to pay people to do it wasting money that could be spent on Radio and TV ads.

fedup100
11-18-2007, 05:16 PM
We need people working all the grocery stores too. Everyone buys food. People outside the stores handing out cards or slim Jims and answering questions would show the world he has real support.

We need to do this nationwide the week before Christmas. Every grocery store in your city. Hand out helium Ron Paul Balloons or candy canes stapled to a slim Jim, the kids will demand it.

I do this outside of Trader Jo's and I have always had good success.:D

hasan
11-18-2007, 06:24 PM
We need people working all the grocery stores too. Everyone buys food. People outside the stores handing out cards or slim Jims and answering questions would show the world he has real support.

We need to do this nationwide the week before Christmas. Every grocery store in your city. Hand out helium Ron Paul Balloons or candy canes stapled to a slim Jim, the kids will demand it.

I do this outside of Trader Jo's and I have always had good success.:D

I second that. Its a great idea because of its personal aspect. I wish all the meetups could be directed to do this.

hopeforamerica
11-18-2007, 06:27 PM
I second that. Its a great idea because of its personal aspect. I wish all the meetups could be directed to do this.

Wow, the stores in our state won't let us do that! We wanted to do a food drive and set up outside the stores. Nope, have to be a 503c non-profit.:mad:

AdoubleR
11-18-2007, 06:28 PM
Both above are great ideas...

hasan
11-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Wow, the stores in our state won't let us do that! We wanted to do a food drive and set up outside the stores. Nope, have to be a 503c non-profit.:mad:

thats some harsh treatment from the stores. school kids and normal ppl go on food drives all the time here and not many ppl complain.

James R
11-18-2007, 06:33 PM
A large-scale "Call4Paul" event has already taken place. It was very successful. These kind of events are very good ideas and are very cost effective.

RobS
11-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Good idea... few thoughts below..
1) All volunteers must be from the same state (i heard people take offense when out of state callers telll them to vote for a candidate)

I really get pissed off every time I hear this. The people from Iowa and New Hampshire should learn that they have the most important primaries, and that how they vote effects the entire nation. It really isn't fair that their vote is worth so much more... but I digress, I'll do whatever it takes to get Ron elected, even if that means not calling NH or IA because I live in Michigan..

ItsTime
11-18-2007, 06:48 PM
contact the HQ meet up group from concord they have been doing this for awhile.

lastnymleft
11-18-2007, 08:56 PM
This is one of the most effective, and cost-effective, methods to get the word out. It should be done. But one thing to note: many telemarketers work the numbers, trying to get through as many calls as possible, till they find the ones that are susceptible. With this, I would consider *every* call a potential sale, and a genuine, unscripted, heart-felt, rational discussion with the other person, will be very well accepted, and will show good results.

I believe, being just a one-to-one, unorganized, calling campaign, it would fly beneath the federal donotcall register, as well.

Get calling!

(Don't forget Iowa. A lot of focus is on NH, but IA is first, and is lacking in support, as seen by the donors per capita graph on ronpaulgraphs.com)

LizF
11-18-2007, 09:21 PM
FWIW, there have already been a number of recorded/automated calls that have been placed by the campaign over the past couple of weeks targeting potential NH voters:

--from Carole Paul, talking about Ron ==> targeted/received by Rep voters

--from a supporter of RP talking about RP ==> I'm not sure if Reps and/or Independents were the main target

--from RP himself ==> I'm not sure if Reps and/or Independents were the main target

--from a NH state legislator (I'm not sure which one) voicing his support for RP; basically saying that if we want the war to be over, vote for RP ==> targeted/received by Independent voters

Voice
11-18-2007, 09:23 PM
I want to help, but I can't call from Japan. Can someone give me an IP hookup?

If there is no such thing, I would be happy to write up a design. Any other VOIP people available?

justinc.1089
11-18-2007, 09:57 PM
SOUTH CAROLINA!

SC needs phone callers desperately, and IT IS THE 2ND MOST IMPORTANT STATE.

We're looking to lose in SC and no one seems to be acknowledging that fact.

No one seems to be thinking about the fact that every Republican nominated has ALWAYS won South Carolina too.

Dave
11-18-2007, 10:17 PM
The Iowa campaign HQ is using out-of-staters to call Iowa independents. You can call Iowa HQ at 1-888-828-PAUL to volunteer and they will send you a list.

lastnymleft
11-19-2007, 12:02 AM
I want to help, but I can't call from Japan. Can someone give me an IP hookup?

If there is no such thing, I would be happy to write up a design. Any other VOIP people available?

Take your pick, they're all pretty cheap:

Skype - http://www.skype.com/
Gizmo - http://www.gizmoproject.com/
Yahoo - http://voice.yahoo.com/

mathamagician
11-19-2007, 11:12 PM
This is one of the most effective, and cost-effective, methods to get the word out. It should be done. But one thing to note: many telemarketers work the numbers, trying to get through as many calls as possible, till they find the ones that are susceptible. With this, I would consider *every* call a potential sale, and a genuine, unscripted, heart-felt, rational discussion with the other person, will be very well accepted, and will show good results.

I believe, being just a one-to-one, unorganized, calling campaign, it would fly beneath the federal donotcall register, as well.

Get calling!

I agree with this 100% especially the one on one unscripted part we can all start doing this now but I'd really like to see someone put together a website where there's a ticker and people can sign up and someone is dolling out small phone number lists (25 at a time) and it get's promoted on youtube etc. I would do this but honestly I'm not experienced in web design and I would probably waste a lot of time trying to put it together.

One of the comments below said Iowa command is doing this already (giving out lists of people to call)! All we really need is someone put a ron paul call central command website together!

One thing I am experienced at is statistical analysis so if we could get people to track electronically the success rate of each call and we got enough people I could probably do a demographic cluster analysis by zip code to find out what kinds of people we should be targeting with our phone calls and maybe even what kinds of arguments to emphasize the most.

I sent my apolitical (left-leaning) wife three links to Ron Paul youtube videos to see which she thought was the most pursuasive and/or protrayed Paul in the best light. She was totally moved by them and has become huge Paul fan now (that was when I realized that the emails I sent out supporting RP to friends were nothing compared to these videos).

I've seen people say we need to make DVDs and I think it is a good idea.
So I'm thinking, dude I have a DVD rom why not just start putting a few of the most popular videos on the DVD and mail them to people in NH and Iowa that were open to Paul. We could end the call with "would you have any interest in learning more about Ron Paul? We have a DVD we'd like to mail you free of charge and we will delete your address from our system after we send it out."

I'm going to check in with the central command as recommended

saahmed
11-20-2007, 12:44 AM
The campaign already has local volunteers calling people in their precincts in Iowa. No need to call them multiple times and annoy them. I would help out if I had a landline, but I just have my cell and my free nights don't start until 9.

lastnymleft
11-20-2007, 09:30 AM
The campaign already has local volunteers calling people in their precincts in Iowa. No need to call them multiple times and annoy them. I would help out if I had a landline, but I just have my cell and my free nights don't start until 9.

Well, you've got internet access, so you can use Skype, Gizmo Project, or Yahoo Talk...

Mathamagician: There are 560,000 households in New Hampshire. We're never going to be able to hit all them, so I wouldn't worry about needing a central command dishing out batches of numbers. I reckon just grab a NH phonebook and hit it randomly!