PDA

View Full Version : Canadians infest Costco

alucard13mmfmj
08-18-2012, 01:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utfPAE2I8DA

2,900 likes on a facebook page for americans feeling self-entitled =p...
Only 120 likes for welcoming canadians.

so we have other countries spending money in the USA... and people still complain. haha.

Mundane
08-18-2012, 02:00 PM
"This video is not available in your country."

What is the gist of the video? Canadians shop in the US primarily because our tariffs on Chinese imports make most goods more expensive in Canada. Washingtonians prefer not to have us spend our money there? Already done. DHS isn't exactly rolling out the welcome mat these days, so I stopped spending money in Washington.

heavenlyboy34
08-18-2012, 02:11 PM
"This video is not available in your country."

What is the gist of the video? Canadians shop in the US primarily because our tariffs on Chinese imports make most goods more expensive in Canada. Washingtonians prefer not to have us spend our money there? Already done. DHS isn't exactly rolling out the welcome mat these days, so I stopped spending money in Washington.
Whiny Americans in a border town don't like sharing a Costco store with Canadians, and thus want the Canucks out. Stupid. We find later in the vid that the city's economy is quite dependent on Canadian business.

roho76
08-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Screw Canada. I'm still mad about the War of 1812. All they do is take our businesses and put a little red maple leaf on it and call it their own. And poutine, what's up with that? Fries with gravy and cheese curds on it. Holy sh*t. That's blasphemous. USA!!USA!!USA!!

http://files.sharenator.com/nationalist_redneck_Go_back_to_Um_nevermind-s690x355-8853.jpg

heavenlyboy34
08-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Screw Canada. I'm still mad about the War of 1812. All they do is take our businesses and put a little red maple leaf on it and call it their own. And poutine, what's up with that? Fries with gravy and cheese curds on it. Holy sh*t. That's blasphemous. USA!!USA!!USA!!

http://files.sharenator.com/nationalist_redneck_Go_back_to_Um_nevermind-s690x355-8853.jpg
LOLZ :D

Mundane
08-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Whiny Americans in a border town don't like sharing a Costco store with Canadians, and thus want the Canucks out. Stupid. We find later in the vid that the city's economy is quite dependent on Canadian business.

I've shopped at that Costco many times. Going through the Nazi-like border isn't worth saving a few bucks anymore.

aGameOfThrones
08-18-2012, 02:22 PM
I think the Americans are just angry that the Canadians are buying all the Brawndo.

pcosmar
08-18-2012, 02:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpUM47y7uT4

jkr
08-18-2012, 02:37 PM
just gonna put this here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOR38552MJA&feature=fvwrel

JK/SEA
08-18-2012, 02:39 PM
i'd like to know how he got across the border to get home without being caught....

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Man-caught-filling-garbage-bags-full-of-gasoline-166607636.html

Mundane
08-18-2012, 02:45 PM
i'd like to know how he got across the border to get home without being caught....

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Man-caught-filling-garbage-bags-full-of-gasoline-166607636.html

Very easily. Both Canadian border guards and US border guards only check trunks randomly.

JK/SEA
08-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Very easily. Both Canadian border guards and US border guards only check trunks randomly.

not anymore...lol...

to be fair, this canadian could have had the gas can inside the bag. I hope.

Bastiat's The Law
08-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Are Americans that dumb not to realize without those Canadians coming over to shop the jobs Costco provides in the community wouldn't exist? Oh and neither would the store!

Dumb Americans being dumb.

Bastiat's The Law
08-18-2012, 03:10 PM

Hahaha! Poutine is pretty righteous too. :D

roho76
08-18-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm a robot programmer for the Big 3 as well as other tier 1 suppliers. I have found that the Canadians will not let you into their country to do work unless you have all the paper work they require, a labor force study proving that there is no one in Canada that can do the job you're going to do there, and they heavily scrutinize your entrance into the country. Meanwhile I have Canadian friends that come over here to do work when ever they want to without so much as a work visa.

alucard13mmfmj
08-18-2012, 03:17 PM
i kinda want to live near the canadian border in washington so i can travel to and from vancouver, canada.

vancouver hong kong food is better than in los angeles hong kong food ^^... a lot of hong kong chefs went to canada instead of USA. easier to get in.

hmmm. congee and wonton noodle.

Mundane
08-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Are Americans that dumb not to realize without those Canadians coming over to shop the jobs Costco provides in the community wouldn't exist? Oh and neither would the store!

Dumb Americans being dumb.

Clearly, they do not care. Bellingham, where the Costco is, is approximately 20 minutes from the border. The town directly on the border is Blaine. After 9/11 a lot of the Canadian regulars who used to cross to Blaine to get gas, groceries, go for a beer, etc, just stopped doing it as the border tightened up, wait times got longer, and people just didn't feel like being treated like criminals for wanting to spend money there. As a result, many businesses that had been there for 20 years or more went under and other businesses in that town have struggled to stay afloat ever since. I didn't hear the Americans complaining then, and I don't hear it now.

BuddyRey
08-18-2012, 03:27 PM
For all this talk about how we ended racial segregation fifty years ago, we don't seem to mind the idea of national segregation one bit.

So if I worked at Costco and Geddy Lee came in, I wouldn't be allowed to sell him a copy of his own platinum-selling album? How ridiculous is that?

heavenlyboy34
08-18-2012, 03:54 PM
For all this talk about how we ended racial segregation fifty years ago, we don't seem to mind the idea of national segregation one bit.

So if I worked at Costco and Geddy Lee came in, I wouldn't be allowed to sell him a copy of his own platinum-selling album? How ridiculous is that?
People get very sentimental about areas created by arbitrary lines drawn on maps. /shrugs

LibertyEagle
08-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Maybe the people should be more concerned about stopping the devaluation of the U.S. dollar, than worrying about Canadians.

As I recall, Canadians were quite willing to sell Americans prescription drugs and Americans took mighty advantage of it. Also, as I recall, it was our own government that stopped it; not Canada.

So, this event is more than a bit hypocritical.

LibertyEagle
08-18-2012, 04:00 PM
People get very sentimental about areas created by arbitrary lines drawn on maps. /shrugs

Those "arbitrary lines" define sovereign nations. Perhaps you don't care about that, but I do.

Mundane
08-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Maybe the people should be more concerned about stopping the devaluation of the U.S. dollar, than worrying about Canadians.

As I recall, Canadians were quite willing to sell Americans prescription drugs and Americans took mighty advantage of it. Also, as I recall, it was our own government that stopped it; not Canada.

So, this event is more than a bit hypocritical.

In all fairness, I kind of understand why they would be complaining. Many of the Canadian shoppers that go down there are Asian immigrants (Vancouver is full of them) where their sense of personal space and mannerisms can be quite different than what we are used to in the West. Some of the frustrations they may be experiencing are ethnic ones, rather than national ones. I recently moved out of the city and don't miss that part of it either.

John F Kennedy III
08-18-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm a robot programmer for the Big 3 as well as other tier 1 suppliers. I have found that the Canadians will not let you into their country to do work unless you have all the paper work they require, a labor force study proving that there is no one in Canada that can do the job you're going to do there, and they heavily scrutinize your entrance into the country. Meanwhile I have Canadian friends that come over here to do work when ever they want to without so much as a work visa.

I was going to move to Canada when I turned 18 (2005) until I found this out.

Mundane
08-18-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm a robot programmer for the Big 3 as well as other tier 1 suppliers. I have found that the Canadians will not let you into their country to do work unless you have all the paper work they require, a labor force study proving that there is no one in Canada that can do the job you're going to do there, and they heavily scrutinize your entrance into the country.

Same for Canadians going to US in most cases. I was considering an internship with a coroner in the US, so have gone through the procedure.

Meanwhile I have Canadian friends that come over here to do work when ever they want to without so much as a work visa.

I'd like to know who they know or who they blow. I couldn't even go to my bank in the USA without having to prove I wasn't an illegal alien though endless electricity bills, mortgage statements, bank papers, etc, even though I'd lived within walking distance from the US most of my life.

pcosmar
08-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Same for Canadians going to US in most cases. I was considering an internship with a coroner in the US, so have gone through the procedure.

I'd like to know who they know or who they blow. I can't even go to my bank in the USA without having to prove I'm not an illegal alien though endless electricity bills, mortgage statements, bank papers, etc, even though I'd lived within walking distance from the US most of my life.

I missed a family reunion on the Canadian side recently.
I remember when the border crossing was a polite formality,, unintrusive either way.
Fuck the War on Drugs, War on Terror and the War on Human rights.

One cousin commented that it is just a couple hundred dollars to get the paperwork filed (bribe) for an exception,, but it ain't worth the money to do.

Mundane
08-18-2012, 04:49 PM
I remember when the border crossing was a polite formality,, unintrusive either way.

One cousin commented that it is just a couple hundred dollars to get the paperwork filed (bribe) for an exception,, but it ain't worth the money to do.

A family friend gets hassled for visiting his grandkids an hours drive from his home in Canada to the Washington town. He made the mistake of saying he was going to "babysit" his grandkids. "Oh, so you are taking American babysitting jobs away?" Now he's on a LIST.

I really miss the old days where we'd go to the quaint taverns across the line, meet some friendly American guys, dance and party - those days are gone.

pcosmar
08-18-2012, 04:53 PM
I really miss the old days where we'd go to the quaint taverns across the line, meet some friendly American guys, dance and party - those days are gone.

How My mom and Dad met,, She was over ice skating.
Mom was a hottie.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/432021_10150967774656493_1010319567_n.jpg

Mundane
08-18-2012, 04:55 PM
How My mom and Dad met,, She was over ice skating.
Mom was a hottie.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/432021_10150967774656493_1010319567_n.jpg

Great photo!

Mundane
10-14-2012, 06:44 PM

If your mother was born in Canada, you are already a Canadian citizen. The law was changed in 2009. As Canadian citizen, it is your constitutional right to enter Canada. You will, however, first need to supply proof of your citizenship and can get the package here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

I think it costs 75 dollars, but once it's done, it's done and you can come and go as you please.

angelatc
10-14-2012, 07:11 PM
If your mother was born in Canada, you are already a Canadian citizen. The law was changed in 2009. As Canadian citizen, it is your constitutional right to enter Canada. You will, however, first need to supply proof of your citizenship and can get the package here:

I think it costs 75 dollars, but once it's done, it's done and you can come and go as you please.

Pete, you should do that just to piss them off!

awake
10-14-2012, 08:38 PM
The US dollar is persistently falling against the Loonie. This is driving people in droves to the US to buy whatever. Recent history has always had the Canadian dollar at huge discounts to the US dollar which for many years led to the opposite effect. The higly discounted exchange rate caused US tourism in Canada to flourish.

Your dollar is weakening which is causing this effect.

QuickZ06
10-14-2012, 08:58 PM

But can you marry in?

AGRP
10-14-2012, 09:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0R5DTHcmGU&feature=related

Origanalist
10-14-2012, 09:43 PM

I remember that too, quite clearly.

A family friend gets hassled for visiting his grandkids an hours drive from his home in Canada to the Washington town. He made the mistake of saying he was going to "babysit" his grandkids. "Oh, so you are taking American babysitting jobs away?" Now he's on a LIST.

It's sad, sad time we are in. This is bullshit.

youngbuck
10-15-2012, 05:15 AM
I suggest sending drones to the north, as opposed to overseas. I mean, we have to wage war somewhere, continually, so let's do it efficiently.

RonPaulFanInGA
10-15-2012, 06:48 AM

Canada has it pretty good not sharing a border with Mexico.

jbauer
10-15-2012, 09:34 AM
I suggest sending drones to the north, as opposed to overseas. I mean, we have to wage war somewhere, continually, so let's do it efficiently.

Name one thing the Government has ever done effciently? Well...except corner the presidential debates.

Brian4Liberty
10-15-2012, 11:50 AM
In all fairness, I kind of understand why they would be complaining. Many of the Canadian shoppers that go down there are Asian immigrants (Vancouver is full of them) where their sense of personal space and mannerisms can be quite different than what we are used to in the West. Some of the frustrations they may be experiencing are ethnic ones, rather than national ones. I recently moved out of the city and don't miss that part of it either.

Ah, that explains the part of the video about bad parking. ;)

Brian4Liberty
10-15-2012, 02:33 PM

It is also very common for Costco to be the main hub of cultural/ethnic interactions. As a generalization, many groups (Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Indian, etc.) have their own businesses that they frequent, including grocery stores. Costco is the one place that everyone goes, and that is a place where cultural differences are evident. The great American melting pot...Costco.