PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul coins

nyrgoal99
11-18-2007, 12:50 PM
I have 10 of them I got for $200. Very tempting to sell on ebay for 2000-3000 now. I wont though, when he wins they will be worth more.

hopeforamerica
11-18-2007, 12:52 PM
I have 10 of them I got for $200. Very tempting to sell on ebay for 2000-3000 now. I wont though, when he wins they will be worth more.

Sell one or two so that you can donate more on December 16th!! Max out baby!!

kylejack
11-18-2007, 12:53 PM
One idea: Sell half, then re-invest the proceeds in regular silvers (American Eagles, Krugerrands, or whatever). Keep the other half in case they appreciate even more.

ladyliberty
11-18-2007, 12:54 PM
sell one for $2300 :D

keep the rest

dircha
11-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Based on the warnings on the U.S. Mint website, selling them might put you in the same legal jeopardy as Mr. NotHaus.

American
11-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Thats nonsense, as long as you dont advertise them as legal tender then they are legal. I wish I had a few, I almost bought one too but didnt. grrrrr!

kylejack
11-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Based on the warnings on the U.S. Mint website, selling them might put you in the same legal jeopardy as Mr. NotHaus.

Not illegal to own or sell. They're after notHaus because he was claiming that you could use it as currency. I doubt they'd prosecute a seller on eBay.

honkywill
11-18-2007, 12:58 PM
I kept on putting off buying coins so that I could donate to the campaign/buy materials.

DAMMIT!

ron_paul_silver_dollars
11-18-2007, 04:56 PM
I would put 1 or 2 of the coins on eBay to raise money for a Ron Paul donation... and make sure that in your auction listing you specifically state that you are donating all proceeds to Ron Paul.

kylejack
11-18-2007, 04:58 PM
I would put 1 or 2 of the coins on eBay to raise money for a Ron Paul donation... and make sure that in your auction listing you specifically state that you are donating all proceeds to Ron Paul.

Illegal. You can list it, but don't state the intent to donate the proceeds.

ron_paul_silver_dollars
11-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Illegal. You can list it, but don't state the intent to donate the proceeds.

I'm not sure what would make doing so illegal... and if you've been checking eBay, you'll see auctions have already been ongoing that are donating their proceeds to Ron Paul's campain.

hasan
11-18-2007, 06:36 PM
i think the whole issue with the gold coins was that the owner ingeniously found out that the gold coins have the same face value as FRN's even though they are worth much more as precious metals. And since you only have to pay taxes on the face value of legal tender he ended up paying much less in taxes.

kylejack
11-18-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm not sure what would make doing so illegal... and if you've been checking eBay, you'll see auctions have already been ongoing that are donating their proceeds to Ron Paul's campain.

Yes, and as people in these forums have told us, eBay has been taking them down when they find them.

robert4rp08
11-18-2007, 07:08 PM
i think the whole issue with the gold coins was that the owner ingeniously found out that the gold coins have the same face value as FRN's even though they are worth much more as precious metals. And since you only have to pay taxes on the face value of legal tender he ended up paying much less in taxes.

That's not true. The face value of the liberty dollars were MORE than the spot value of the precious metal, e.g., the $1000 gold liberty dollar is 1 troy ounce of gold, which currently has a spot value of $792.80.

kylejack
11-18-2007, 07:16 PM
That's not true. The face value of the liberty dollars were MORE than the spot value of the precious metal, e.g., the $1000 gold liberty dollar is 1 troy ounce of gold, which currently has a spot value of $792.80.

Not Liberty Dollars...American Eagles. A $50 face value Gold American Eagle had a real value of around $800.

RonPaulStreetTeam
11-18-2007, 07:18 PM
I bought one and would never sell it.

wish I bought like 12 at the time. I could use the funds.

BeFranklin
11-18-2007, 07:19 PM

That sounds vaguely like something else I heard years ago, and might be right. It would explain the "state constitution" (also) requiring gold and silver as legal tender. Maybe it was a tax avoidance scheme.

On the other hand, if you are just bartering gold for something else, there shouldn't be any tax on it at all, since its just barter.

Regardless, this is really off topic for getting Ron Paul elected.

-------off topic--------
FYI: Here is a partial list of barter currencies in the US I found someplace else. I thought the Disney money was interesting:

Even ABC's parent company Walt Disney makes it.

If you go to Walt Disney World you can exchange US Dollars for Disney Dollars on 1:1 Ratio

All Walt Disney WorldŽ Resort shops and restaurants take Disney Dollars as a form of cash. Disney Dollars are available for a one-to-one exchange for U.S. dollars at the Disney Store nearest your home and at ticket booths, Guest Relations and Resort Guest Services locations at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Below is a list of currencies here in the USA. Some are called "hours' some are called "Blue Money", "Cape Anne Dollars".

* Amesbury Hours Amesbury, Massachusetts
* Anacostia Hours [1] Mount Rainier, Maryland
* Area Bucks Palo Alto, California
* Atlanta Hours Atlanta, Georgia
* Bainbridge Island Bucks Bainbridge Island, Washington
* Baltimore Hours [2] Baltimore, Maryland
* Barter Bucks Indianapolis, Indiana
* Bay Area Bucks [3] Traverse City, Michigan
* Berea Bucks Berea, Kentucky
* Berkeley Barter Network Berkeley, California
* Berkeley Bread Berkeley, California
* BerkShares, Southern Berkshires, Massachusetts
* BloomingHours [4] Bloomington, Indiana
* Blue Money Brattleboro, Vermont
* BNI [5] Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey
* Boise Hours Boise, Idaho
* Brattleboro Hours Chesterfield, New Hampshire
* Brookings Bucks Brookings, South Dakota
* Brooklyn Greenbacks Brooklyn, New York
* Buffalo Hours Buffalo, New York
* Buffalo Mountain Hours Hardwick, Vermont
* Bull City Bucks Durham, North Carolina
* Burlington Bread [6] Burlington, Vermont
* Butte Bucks Crested Butte, Colorado
* Cape Anne Dollars Gloucester, Massachusetts
* Capitol Area Self-Sustaining Hours Albany, New York
* Carbondale Spuds Carbondale, Colorado
* Chenango Hours New Berlin, New York
* Columbia County Hours Philmont, New York
* Columbia Hours Columbia, Missouri
* Community Cash Durango, Colorado
* Cuyahoga Hours Cleveland, Ohio
* Dillo Hours Austin, Texas
* Disney Dollar Disneyland and Disneyworld
* Flagstaff Neighborly Notes [7] Flagstaff, Arizona
* Floyd Hours Floyd, Virginia
* Fourth Corner Exchange [8] Pacific Northwest
* Great Lakes Hours Detroit, Michigan
* Green Mountain Hours [9] Montpelier, Vermont
* Greyhound Bucks Taft, Texas
* Hero dollar Minneapolis, Minnesota
* High Desert Dollars Prescott, Arizona
* Hobo Dough South Dakota State University, Brookings, South Dakota
* Hollandollars Holland, Michigan
* Houston Hours Houston, Texas
* Humboldt Hours Eureka, California
* Humboldt exchange community currency Arcata, California
* Ithaca Hours Ithaca, New York
* Kansas City Barter Bucks Kansas City, Missouri
* Kauai Barter and Trade Network [10] Kilauea, Hawaii
* Kettle River Hours Kettle Falls, Washington
* Kitsap Hours Bremerton, Washington
* Lehigh Valley Barter Hours Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
* Liberty Dollars [11] Evansville, IN
* Lopez Island Hours Lopez Island, Washington
* Madison Hours [12] Madison, Wisconsin
* Mendocino SEED Fort Bragg, California
* Middletown Cash Middletown, CT, Wesleyan University
* Milwaukee Hours Milwaukee, Wisconsin
* Missoula Hours Missoula, Montana
* Mo' Money [13] New Orleans, Louisiana
* Mountain Money [14] Mars Hill, North Carolina
* NOCO Hours [15]Fort Collins, Greeley, and Loveland, Colorado
* North Fork Helping Hands Paonia, Colorado
* PDXhours Portland, Oregon
* P.E.N. Neighborhood Exchange Takoma Park, Maryland
* Plenty [16] Carrboro, North Carolina
* Portage Hours Kent, Ohio
* REAL Dollars [17] Lawrence, Kansas
* RiverHOURS [18]Columbia River Gorge, USA
* San Luis Obispo Hours San Luis Obispo, California
* Sand Dollars Bolinas, California
* Santa Barbara Hours Santa Barbara, California
* Santa Fe Hours Santa Fe, New Mexico
* Santa Monica Hours Santa Monica, California
* Sequoia Hours Garberville, California
* Simply Hours Columbus, Ohio
* Skagit Dollars Mount Vernon, Washington
* Sonoma County Community Cash Santa Rosa, California
* Stoneridge Hours Kerhonkson, New York
* Summit Hours Akron, Ohio
* Thread City Bread Willimantic, Connecticut
* Time Bucks [19] Seattle, Washington
* Tulsa Hours Tulsa, Oklahoma
* Ukiah Hours [20] Ukiah, California
* Valley Dollars Greenfield, Massachusetts
* Waldo Hours Unity, Maine
* Wash Bucks Sioux City, Iowa
* Wooster Hours Apple Creek, Ohio

near_tucson
11-18-2007, 11:20 PM
The Kahre case: "A criminal tax case alleging income tax evasion and conspiracy dissolved in federal court this week, when a jury returned zero convictions on 161 charges faced by nine defendants..."

"The essence of the argument is that under the Constitution Congress is obligated by law to mint and circulate such coins as demand requires, and must establish the value of coins as they are used as legal tender, but the coins' market value, arising as valuable personal "property," is a distinct, separate attribute of such coins, and is of no legal consequence if the coins are used as legal tender.

In other words, if a worker is paid with such coins, his taxable "income" (if any) can only be the face value indicated upon the coin money paid -- i.e., $1.00 for a circulating silver dollar or $50 for a circulating gold U.S. coin. Not surprisingly, the IRS has never issued any public guidance regarding this significant issue..."

http://www.liberty-watch.com/volume03/issue08/coverstory.php

http://educate-yourself.org/cn/IRSdefeatoncoinwages18oct07.shtml

2007 American Eagle Gold Uncirculated One Ounce Coin (Z7A)
Price: $831.95 More Info.
Product is not available.
http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=13238&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10191&top_category=10191