PDA

View Full Version : Complaint filed against GOP State Chairman Delegate: Call improperly elected to Credential

sailingaway
08-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Complaint filed against GOP State Chairman
Delegate: Call improperly elected to Credentials Committee (Colorado)

http://coloradostatesman.com/content/993674-complaint-filed-against-gop-state-chairman

Last Friday, a Republican National Convention delegate from Denver filed a formal petition with the national GOP asking that State Republican Party Chairman Ryan Call be thrown off the convention’s Credentials Committee, charging that state party rules don’t allow the kind of election that put Call on the panel. The complaint stirs up simmering tension in Colorado’s delegation between backers of presidential candidate Mitt Romney and upstart supporters of Texas Congressman Ron Paul, who hasn’t conceded the nomination.

Florence Sebern, an unpledged RNC delegate from the 1st Congressional District who supports Paul, charges that Call’s election to the Credentials Committee — conducted last month via email — should be invalidated and wants the delegation to meet in person to fill the slot.

“In a nutshell, this election cannot be an email election, it has to be a meeting,” Sebern told The Colorado Statesman. “We don’t have a provision for email elections.” She added, “I don’t want to condemn the delegation, I just want to get it fixed.”

Credentials is one of a handful of bodies — others include the Rules and Platform committees — that convene before the national convention gets under way on Aug. 27 in Tampa, culminating in the nomination of a presidential candidate. It rules on delegate accreditation, potentially a flash point this year as Romney and Paul supporters lay conflicting claims to numerous state delegations.

The Republican National Committee hadn’t ruled on her petition by press time, but a miffed Call dismissed Sebern’s complaint as a “distraction” in an interview with The Statesman. He predicted it wouldn’t get in the way of Republicans winning the swing state’s nine electoral votes for Romney.

“With respect to the complaint that a particular delegate has filed, it is entirely without merit either in terms of process or in terms of substance, and so our focus is just really going to be how we’re going to support the election of Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan,” Call said on Monday. “Colorado is really excited to be able to welcome Paul Ryan to the event we’re doing tomorrow, and our focus is 100 percent on advancing a positive message of supporting our nominee in Mitt Romney, and anything else is just a distraction.”

Sebern bristled at Call’s suggestion that her complaint was merely a diversion.

“If we want to restore trust in the integrity of our election processes, it starts where we live,” she told The Statesman. “As a national delegate, I have been elected to represent a segment of the GOP who are earnestly and actively engaged for the future of the GOP and our Constitutional Republic. I had an obligation to speak up and I did.”

At stake in the looming Credentials fight: whether Ron Paul supporters control enough state delegations to force the convention to give Paul a meaningful role in Tampa, including a potential prime-time speaking slot and even the chance his name might appear on the nominating ballot. Before the RNC gavels itself to order later this month, dozens of Paul supporters plan to ask the Credentials Committee to overrule state-level organizations and allow them to be seated as delegates.

more at link

as I understand it if we HAVE a majority coalition in CO it is likely only by about one vote.

tod evans
08-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Kudos to Florence!

And from AC/DC;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g23GiivXC78

CPUd
08-16-2012, 05:04 PM
I think Call might be in danger of getting kicked off the committee. He said nothing in his statement about how we need to beat Obama.

ClydeCoulter
08-16-2012, 06:30 PM
I think Call might be in danger of getting kicked off the committee. He said nothing in his statement about how we need to beat Obama.

(oops........)

And it would be nice to get one of ours to replace Call. Any chance of that?

sailingaway
08-16-2012, 07:03 PM
(oops........)

And it would be nice to get one of ours to replace Call. Any chance of that?

that is precisely the other person who was running. I am very afraid the guy who couldn't go to Tampa might have been ours. Which would mean we need this position to arguably have majority in coalition in CO, as I understand it (although CO was as confusing as the most confusing state.)

paulbot24
08-16-2012, 07:28 PM
“If we want to restore trust in the integrity of our election processes, it starts where we live,” she told The Statesman. “As a national delegate, I have been elected to represent a segment of the GOP who are earnestly and actively engaged for the future of the GOP and our Constitutional Republic. I had an obligation to speak up and I did.”

This should be put on a plaque and given to each of our delegates as a reminder that the time to speak up for the future of our Constitutional Republic is upon us. We have an obligation to do everything in our power in Tampa for our country. That time is now.