PDA

View Full Version : Donations getting uncomfortably messy.

James R
11-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Donations slowed down quite a lot before Nov 5th because people were saving up. Now that is happening on a really grand scale. Looks like we are going to be about 200k slower than usual. After Dec 16th I hope we switch over from money bombs to money streams where they are monthly and spread out. This will allow the campaign to plan better.

Besides, after we get attention for the 2nd time we will have used up our "press passes" and another record wouldn't be meaningful, while another money bomb would likely get less money. In the weeks before the primary, we should focus on the weekly money bomb website. That said, they would have to clean that site up before I would actually promote it actively. Too messy for me.

TheNewYorker
11-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Right now I'd rather see 0 donations coming in until Dec 16th if it means we will get more on Dec 16th.

We saw the press that Nov 5th got us, now imagine what Dec 16th which will be at least twice as big will do.

But you do raise a good point, after Dec 16th, I think we should not have any more money bombs. We need a steady stream of donations coming in after Dec 16th.

Sematary
11-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Right now I'd rather see 0 donations coming in until Dec 16th if it means we will get more on Dec 16th.

We saw the press that Nov 5th got us, now imagine what Dec 16th which will be at least twice as big will do.

But you do raise a good point, after Dec 16th, I think we should not have any more money bombs. We need a steady stream of donations coming in after Dec 16th.

I can go along with that.

Ron Paul Fan
11-18-2007, 12:04 PM
After December 16th it's fire at will as far as I'm concerned. The primaries will be on the doorstep and we should just try and raise as much money before the end of the quarter. For now, we need to focus on December 16th!

jake
11-18-2007, 12:05 PM

agreed, and they will be steady :D

NewEnd
11-18-2007, 12:06 PM
I actually agree. I would rather see that "money stream" that the original money bombers had intended, with 40,000 $25 a week pledges, to bring in 1 million a week.
Unfortunatley, I would not be able to participate in that.

I also believe the 3rd money bomb would bring in less than Dec 16th.

hocaltar
11-18-2007, 12:06 PM
i Agree, as long as raise 5+ million on the 16th thats all that matters. We need the momentum going into the straw polls. If people here that Ron Paul outraised Rudy, Romney, and McCain they will say to themselves, "hey he isn't such a long shot."

That is all we need, and to get him polling at 10% would be nice too. But lets face it, the majority of RP's supporters are not registered Republican, rather they are independents and third party'ers.

Ozwest
11-18-2007, 12:09 PM
I hope the campaigns site is ready for all the traffic on Dec. 16 or this could come back and bite us on the ass.

lasenorita
11-18-2007, 12:09 PM
What a great idea! Perhaps we could persuade people to give something like $5 a day, every day, or even whatever they can afford to give on Fridays, every week. It will not only create a steady stream of income to the campaign, but for every minute and dollar we spend visiting the website to donate, we'll feel more "connected". :)

TheNewYorker
11-18-2007, 12:10 PM
I think after Dec 16th we need to have a "max out for ron paul" campaign going on. Convince anyone that hasn't donated the maximum of $2,300 to do so by Dec 31st.

Dec 31st will be the last day we can donate to Ron Paul (until he wins the nomination). I think it's very important we all max out, donate the very most we can. $2,300 may be a lot of money for most people but we need to convince everyone that it will all come back to them and then some once the IRS is defeated by President Paul.

This is the last chance to get Ron Paul in the white house.

Personally so far I have donated only $50 to Ron Paul but plan on doing $250 on the 16th. Then I am going to sell some electronics equipment I have and donate $2000 on the 31st of december.

Johnnybags
11-18-2007, 12:11 PM
press it received, another 4 or more will receive similar attention, its win/win. Meanwhile he has been seeded properly to begin a national campaign. A 20 million quarter will pop eyeballs. Whatever we are short after the bomb we should should get to him by the quarters end to get 17 to 20 million banked.

NewEnd
11-18-2007, 12:11 PM
I think after Dec 16th we need to have a "max out for ron paul" campaign going on. Convince anyone that hasn't donated the maximum of $2,300 to do so by Dec 31st.

Dec 31st will be the last day we can donate to Ron Paul (until he wins the nomination). I think it's very important we all max out, donate the very most we can. $2,300 may be a lot of money for most people but we need to convince everyone that it will all come back to them and then some once the IRS is defeated by President Paul.

Personally so far I have donated only $50 to Ron Paul but plan on doing $250 on the 16th. Then I am going to sell some electronics equipment I have and donate $2000 on the 31st of december.

No.... $2300 is really waaay too much for too many people. Keep in mind how many students and young people are big paul supporters, they would nto be able to participate.

Sematary
11-18-2007, 12:13 PM

I actually like that idea alot.

ronpaul4pres
Another supporter and I were thinking of a Money Train website. We can show a weekly/monthly/quarterly goal, but we will accept "random" donations so everything is spread out. We can show the rate of money coming in (the "speed" of the train). I know this would be more effective at generating money; although, I concede that one or two "big" donation days are great for generating press.

We've done a lot of ground work in hammering out concepts. Anyone can contact me for more info and to help get this going. Ideally, we should have this up-and-running before the Tea Party, so we can carry that momentum forward.

TheNewYorker
No.... $2300 is really waaay too much for too many people. Keep in mind how many students and young people are big paul supporters, they would nto be able to participate.

I'm a student that's dirt poor, but that's why I'm selling a bunch of stuff to raise money. I'm sure others can do it too.

Ebay is very nice, so easy to make money selling stuff there that you don't use anymore.

Sematary

They could sell stuff on ebay and donate the money to the campaign.

TheNewYorker
11-18-2007, 12:15 PM
press it received, another 4 or more will receive similar attention, its win/win. Meanwhile he has been seeded properly to begin a national campaign. A 20 million quarter will pop eyeballs. Whatever we are short after the bomb we should should get to him by the quarters end to get 17 to 20 million banked.

Currently I predict we will raise $8million on the 16th. That means we will have raised about 17 million for Q4!

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't 17 million probably put Ron Paul in 1st or 2nd place for money raised Q4? That would definitely, and finally, put Ron Paul in the "top-tier" category by the MSM.

NewEnd
11-18-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm a student that's dirt poor, but that's why I'm selling a bunch of stuff to raise money. I'm sure others can do it too.

Ebay is very nice, so easy to make money selling stuff there that you don't use anymore.

Thats nice, but some people really are poor, and do not have $2000 worth of electronics to sell, nor do they have any kind of family to fall back on if they go broke.

Seriously, $2300 is just way too much to ask of most people to make an effective campaign wide push.

Sematary
11-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Thats nice, but some people really are poor, and do not have $2000 worth of electronics to sell, nor do they have any kind of family to fall back on if they go broke.

Seriously, $2300 is just way too much to ask of most people to make an effective campaign wide push.

They can still do what they can do.
I think it's a smashing idea.

A Ron Paul Rebel
11-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Currently I predict we will raise $8million on the 16th. That means we will have raised about 17 million for Q4!

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't 17 million probably put Ron Paul in 1st or 2nd place for money raised Q4? That would definitely, and finally, put Ron Paul in the "top-tier" category by the MSM.

An easy 10,000,000 $$ on the 16th, which should put us way over 20 mill. for Q4!

DrNoZone
Donations slowed down quite a lot before Nov 5th because people were saving up. Now that is happening on a really grand scale. Looks like we are going to be about 200k slower than usual. After Dec 16th I hope we switch over from money bombs to money streams where they are monthly and spread out. This will allow the campaign to plan better.

Besides, after we get attention for the 2nd time we will have used up our "press passes" and another record wouldn't be meaningful, while another money bomb would likely get less money. In the weeks before the primary, we should focus on the weekly money bomb website. That said, they would have to clean that site up before I would actually promote it actively. Too messy for me.

+1

Mithridates
Yeah, I agree with most people that the second money bomb is a good thing to focus on, and then fire at will after that. The second money bomb is good for two reasons:
1) The media will focus on it just as they did the first one
2) People are really wanting to show that they can raise $10 million in a day, and to get Ron Paul the record one-day donation not just for the GOP but out of anyone. I'd say that's worth another money bomb.

I'm also a fan of the idea of a site where people ask for donations to RP in lieu of a Christmas present from someone. I could give somebody a certificate that says I donated $15 to the campaign for example instead of a book. That's also newsworthy as it shows how much importance people place on the campaign.

Johnnybags

Mitt will write a check to beat it by a million no matter what it is.

DrNoZone
11-18-2007, 12:19 PM
What a great idea! Perhaps we could persuade people to give something like $5 a day, every day, or even whatever they can afford to give on Fridays, every week. It will not only create a steady stream of income to the campaign, but for every minute and dollar we spend visiting the website to donate, we'll feel more "connected". :)

Weekly is much better since the campaign has to pay every time a donation is made via credit card for processing. It'd be better to make one weekly $25 contribution than 5 separate $5 contributions.

jake
11-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Another supporter and I were thinking of a Money Train website. We can show a weekly/monthly/quarterly goal, but we will accept "random" donations so everything is spread out. We can show the rate of money coming in (the "speed" of the train). I know this would be more effective at generating money; although, I concede that one or two "big" donation days are great for generating press.

We've done a lot of ground work in hammering out concepts. Anyone can contact me for more info and to help get this going. Ideally, we should have this up-and-running before the Tea Party, so we can carry that momentum forward.

really great idea. the freedom train!

Eric21ND
11-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Donations would eb and flow even without money bombs simply because many people get paid on a bi-weekly basis.

The media attention is what we want and need at this point...the money is just the gravy. :)

Sematary
11-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Mitt will write a check to beat it by a million no matter what it is.

Who cares? Mitts going to fall off anyway as people realize what an idiot he is.

constitutional
11-18-2007, 12:25 PM

Indeed but people need to stop posting here asking to donate. I think almost all users on these forums have done their best in giving money. We need new supporters.

GeorgiaRPFan
11-18-2007, 12:26 PM
I donate once a month anyway, so donating on Nov. 5th then again on Dec. 16th doesn't make much of a difference as far as my donation goes. I bet there are other monthly donors out there.

max
11-18-2007, 12:28 PM
after 12/16 the money bomb concept will have been fully milked...

the next one should be for the general election...April 15th...tax day!

freedominnumbers
11-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Mitt is easy to deal with.
Just tell the people you talk to how Mitt (supposedly anti-tax) is writing himself campaign loans that are going to be repaid with their tax dollars from fed matching funds. He's up to what now? 17 Million?

Paul4Prez
11-18-2007, 01:18 PM

Please don't sit on your donations for another month. Donate now. We need a "max out for Ron Paul" drive starting TODAY.

The campaign has put the donations on the front page of their website for all the world to see. If they slow to a trickle, it will cause people to question the momentum he is building.

Sematary
11-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Please don't sit on your donations for another month. Donate now. We need a "max out for Ron Paul" drive starting TODAY.

The campaign has put the donations on the front page of their website for all the world to see. If they slow to a trickle, it will cause people to question the momentum he is building.

December 16 is far more important than sending in twenty bucks today.

inibo
11-18-2007, 01:24 PM
I actually agree. I would rather see that "money stream" that the original money bombers had intended, with 40,000 $25 a week pledges, to bring in 1 million a week.
Unfortunatley, I would not be able to participate in that.

I also believe the 3rd money bomb would bring in less than Dec 16th.

Yes to that. I liked the idea of a steady $25 or more per week. I'm still doing that when I can afford it. I realize some people are holding out for the TeaParty and I want it to be astronomic, but we are doing a serious feast or famine thing on the campaign. Hopefully we could encourage all the TeaParty people to become regular mini-bombers.

Ron Paul Fan
11-18-2007, 01:29 PM

Exactly. We should be focusing on December 16th and making it as big an impact as possible. I don't know why people would want to derail its success, but there are a few people out there who are advocating this. The point of December 16th is MEDIA COVERAGE! That's what we want! If we even top our November 5th day, which we will, it'll get HUGE coverage! Just imagine if we get $10 million in 24 hours! Then we donate as much as we can from December 17th to December 31 to get the quarter total as high as possible. We're going to beat Thompson and McCain, and hopefully Giuliani and Romney which will give us MORE COVERAGE! "Ron Paul finishes 1st in fundraising for Republicans. Who's really the frontrunner?" That will be the headline! So, focus on December 16th. After that historic day, FIRE AT WILL!!!!!!!!

MozoVote
11-18-2007, 01:29 PM
For all talking about the freedom train, you should Google for the 1976 Liberty Train.

Oh heck, here is the Wiki. I remember my parents taking me to see this. I didn't totally understand it (being only about 7 years old) but knew it had to do with the American Revolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicentennial_American_Freedom_Train#The_1975-1976_American_Freedom_Train

fourameuphoria
11-18-2007, 01:32 PM
We have $13.5 Million on hand right now! We can't afford to cave into false presumptions of a money shortage and dilute 12/16!

dircha
11-18-2007, 01:32 PM
The campaign will tell us if they need more money for an urgent ad campaign just like they did at the end of 3rd quarter, just like they did for the NH radio ads. They will tell us.

And as the campaign would say, we got an additional $5 million in free publicity for the $4 million we raised on November 5th. We wouldn't have gotten that if it had just been a steady amount every day, and no doubt it motivated people to donate who wouldn't have otherwise, because donating allowed them to be part of something even bigger on that day.

And if December 16th meets expectations, we will get an additional $10 million in free publicity beyond what we raise on December 16th.

And then we will have the 4th quarter totals announcement a few weeks after that for even more free publicity.

Everyone's contributions count for more when we organize them like this. We are stronger when we work together.

MozoVote
11-18-2007, 01:34 PM
I agree with dircha. Heck, we are *still* seeing articles printed that discuss the Nov 5th fundraising, two weeks later. Raising a stupendous amount of money on Dec 16 will change the dynamics of the race immensely.

Ethek
11-18-2007, 01:38 PM
The counter shows funds received from buying campaign materials from the Ron Paul store right? Just pump about $10-25 a week into getting slim jims, stickers or signs and help to get the message out. Then do what we need to on the 16th.

BillyDkid
11-18-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm not the only one who has asked if the money bomb approach is the best approach precisely for the reasons that people are complaining about right now. The only question for me is - do we end with more overall donations with money bombs or do we end up with less or the same. I honestly don't know, but I do know that people like the money bombs because it gives them a chance to be a part of an event and it's exciting to see the giant bump in donations. I give all I can as do many others in here, but I can't give all I can and do money bombs on top of it. I gave 200 bucks this month and I'm giving 100 on the 12/16 - I'm not going to be made to feel like I'm not doing my part because I'm not donating every day in between.

dante
11-18-2007, 01:44 PM
There is no reason you can't donate some now between now and Dec 16th.
The money bomb is only asking for $100 from each person. If you have more money than that that you can give. Give the other $25 between now and then, and keep the momentum going.

Secondly you have until Ron Paul is officially the republican nominee to max out your $2300. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try to max out before then. I'm just saying this to set the record straight from an earlier post in this thread.

NewEnd
11-18-2007, 01:44 PM
I am not questioning Dec 16th... I am questioning what we do afterwards. Dec 16th has to be huge... at least $6.5 million.

Perhaps one final, big bomb, for the national elections, but until then, I would prefer to see the money stream.

Sematary
11-18-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm not the only one who has asked if the money bomb approach is the best approach precisely for the reasons that people are complaining about right now. The only question for me is - do we end with more overall donations with money bombs or do we end up with less or the same. I honestly don't know, but I do know that people like the money bombs because it gives them a chance to be a part of an event and it's exciting to see the giant bump in donations. I give all I can as do many others in here, but I can't give all I can and do money bombs on top of it. I gave 200 bucks this month and I'm giving 100 on the 12/16 - I'm not going to be made to feel like I'm not doing my part because I'm not donating every day in between.

regular donations bring in money on a regular basis. That is the upside to them. On the downside, they gain no publicity. Since the campaign is already well ahead of their goal, I think the daily donations are less important at this point than they might otherwise be. We are determined to bring in 10 million on the 16th. The amount of money the ensuing media attention will be worth is priceless (literally). Don't worry about the naysayers - this money bomb will be THE pinnacle of the primary season and will catapult the campaign to the top of the Republic contenders.

Mark Rushmore
11-18-2007, 02:04 PM
The first moneybomb brought us from third to second tier. The second will bring us unquestionably to first. Even if they never spend a dime of the money - that is how this perverse ranking system goes. $10 million plus on Dec. 16th will unlock all our 'boots-on-the-ground' efforts, the seeds of name recognition we plant now will resonate when heavy press covers the biggest fundraising day ever - bar none. And the timing for early primaries is excellent - something to discuss going into the holidays.

My opinion: better to put any donation between now and the 16th into a jar, and send it all on the 16th. $10 mil makes history on all counts, what would $15mil say?

Wyurm
11-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Dec. 16th happens not long at all before the primaries. The best time for RP to get media exposure is just before the primaries. That way, his name and support will be fresh in everyone's mind. I want to see a huge Dec. 16th. This will really propell us toward the win. Spreading out the donations should not be necessary as we are 500,000 dollars OVER what our Nov. goal is. We have a surplus at the moment. Let's also keep in mind that there are some who are not in our network of grassroots supporters who will still donate unaware of Dec 16th. Lets do our best to raise a massive and media-worthy amount on the 16th. I'm not encouraging holding back any donations. Rather, I'm just saying the alarmist "the campaign needs money NOW!!!" threads are actually harmful to us.

Again, we are already PAST our Nov. goal of 8 mil. RELAX and focus on getting Ron Paul's name out as much as possible. Can we agree on that?

NewEnd
The first moneybomb brought us from third to second tier. The second will bring us unquestionably to first. Even if they never spend a dime of the money - that is how this perverse ranking system goes. $10 million plus on Dec. 16th will unlock all our 'boots-on-the-ground' efforts, the seeds of name recognition we plant now will resonant when heavy press covers the biggest fundraising day ever - bar none. And the timing for early primaries is excellent - something to discuss going into the holidays.

My opinion: better to put any donation between now and the 16th into a jar, and send it all on the 16th. $10 mil makes history on all counts, what would $15mil say?

the only thing that would beat $15 million in one day, would be the $254 million raised in one day, four years from now, under president Rudy, when bread costs $19 a loaf and regular is $65 a gallon.

ronpaulyourmom
An easy 10,000,000 $$ on the 16th, which should put us way over 20 mill. for Q4!

I think if we could out-raise Hillary and Obama, i.e. everybody, for the 4th quarter, that would send a statement to all republicans about electability.

It's widely known how badly the republican candidates have been lagging behind democrats in fundraising. It's a good chance for us to send a message.

NewEnd
11-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Dec. 16th happens not long at all before the primaries. The best time for RP to get media exposure is just before the primaries. That way, his name and support will be fresh in everyone's mind. I want to see a huge Dec. 16th. This will really propell us toward the win. Spreading out the donations should not be necessary as we are 500,000 dollars OVER what our Nov. goal is. We have a surplus at the moment. Let's also keep in mind that there are some who are not in our network of grassroots supporters who will still donate unaware of Dec 16th. Lets do our best to raise a massive and media-worthy amount on the 16th. I'm not encouraging holding back any donations. Rather, I'm just saying the alarmist "the campaign needs money NOW!!!" threads are actually harmful to us.

Again, we are already PAST our Nov. goal of 8 mil. RELAX and focus on getting Ron Paul's name out as much as possible. Can we agree on that?

this is not an alarmist thread, it asks the question, "what happens after Dec 16th?"

Perhaps a map, with a total, pledge until the end, to let people know, that Paul will have a dedicated $1 million a week for the rest of his campaign. That will put many ill at ease with him, to beleive he can win.

John Kerry, in 2004 did not win because of his opposition to the war, (he wasn't opposed to the war), he won the primaries because he was "winnable"

Likewise, the republican base could concievably support an anti-war republican, as long as they believed he was "winnable".

Energy
11-18-2007, 02:07 PM

Yep. I'm saving up for a big one on the 16th. And then regular donations after that.

Wyurm
11-18-2007, 02:16 PM
this is not an alarmist thread, it asks the question, "what happens after Dec 16th?"

Perhaps a map, with a total, pledge until the end, to let people know, that Paul will have a dedicated $1 million a week for the rest of his campaign. That will put many ill at ease with him, to beleive he can win.

John Kerry, in 2004 did not win because of his opposition to the war, (he wasn't opposed to the war), he won the primaries because he was "winnable"

Likewise, the republican base could concievably support an anti-war republican, as long as they believed he was "winnable".

Winnable isn't just about money. Take a look at the "Front runners", they have gobs of money, but its not from individual donations. Showing support in numbers indicates that the candidate is winnable as well.

After the 16th, I'm not going to say what we should or shouldnt do per say, though another money bomb would be relatively useless.

Mark Rushmore
11-18-2007, 02:25 PM
the only thing that would beat $15 million in one day, would be the $254 million raised in one day, four years from now, under president Rudy, when bread costs $19 a loaf and regular is $65 a gallon.

:eek:

dircha
11-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Winnable isn't just about money. Take a look at the "Front runners", they have gobs of money, but its not from individual donations. Showing support in numbers indicates that the candidate is winnable as well.

After the 16th, I'm not going to say what we should or shouldnt do per say, though another money bomb would be relatively useless.

Yes, after the 16th if we have to rely on money bombs to rally enough donations, it will mean we don't have a broad enough base of support to win primaries and advance, and it won't matter.

tremendoustie
11-18-2007, 02:26 PM

It might not be possible for you, but if you can I'd recommend donating it all on the 16th. Other days the campaign just gets the money -- on the 16th he gets the money plus a ton of positive PR. I think maxing out on the 16th is the way to go, for those that can. We can try to get donations for after the 16th once we get there. I want that number that keeps getting repeated for the two weeks after the 16th to be huge -- over 10 million. I think that will have an enormous impact.

Wyurm
11-18-2007, 02:30 PM
Yes, after the 16th if we have to rely on money bombs to rally enough donations, it will mean we don't have a broad enough base of support to win primaries and advance, and it won't matter.

Yep, and one of our strengths is the serious variety. People never know exactly what we are going to do next, but they know its going to be awsome. If we just do money bombs, they will get bored with it. A christmas food drive (I got the idea from the Thanksgiving food drive going on this week) would be a very good idea and if we start it now, we could generate enough publicity as well as doing something very good for those who really need it.

I'll start a thread about it.

tremendoustie
11-18-2007, 02:43 PM
I think the food drive is a great idea -- perhaps meet ups could start collecting canned food now, and turkeys/hams later.

Monetary donation wise though, we need to put 100% of our donation effort into the 16th. There is no downside. The one day event draws in more people who want to be a part of something big, and garners massive media attention. If we raise 10 million on the 16th for example, the media attention will be priceless. What we need now is media attention and impressive numbers that will catapult us into the the top tier in everyone's minds. After the 5th every talk, news, and opinion show was buzzing. You absolutely cannot buy that kind of attention, at any price. For my part, I urge people to give absolutely everything they can on the 16th, and not worry about afterwards, or how many donations are coming in now. The media will not notice the difference between 50K and 100K per day now, but they sure as heck will notice the difference between 5M and 10M on december 16th. I know it's a long time to hold your fire, but that's just my two cents.

progrock
11-18-2007, 02:44 PM
i talked about a saturday weekly bomb on another thread . donate between 5 and 20 or more a week on saturday.