PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon Developing Autonomous Humanoid Robots To “Perform Evacuation Operations”

John F Kennedy III
08-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Pentagon Developing Autonomous Humanoid Robots To “Perform Evacuation Operations”

DARPA enlists makers of “BigDog” to construct machines that can think for themselves

Steve Watson
Infowars.com
Aug 16, 2012

The Department of Defense has awarded a lucrative contract to an engineering and robotics design company to develop and build humanoid robots that can act intelligently without supervision.

Boston Dynamics Inc. has been contracted by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), the agency responsible for the development of new technologies for use by the military, in a deal worth $10.9 million.

The DoD announced Tuesday that “The robotic platforms will be humanoid, consisting of two legs, a torso, two arms with hands, a sensor head and on board computing.”

DARPA’s website says that the robots will help “conduct humanitarian, disaster relief and related operations.”

“The plan identifies requirements to extend aid to victims of natural or man-made disasters and conduct evacuation operations.” reads the brief, first released in April as part of DARPA’s ‘Robotics Challenge’.

The robots will operate with “supervised autonomy”, according to DARPA, and will be able to act intelligently by themselves, making their own decisions if and when direct supervision is not possible.

The Pentagon also envisions that the robots will be able to use basic and diverse “tools”.

“The primary technical goal of the DRC is to develop ground robots capable of executing complex tasks in dangerous, degraded, human-engineered environments. Competitors in the DRC are expected to focus on robots that can use standard tools and equipment commonly available in human environments, ranging from hand tools to vehicles, with an emphasis on adaptability to tools with diverse specifications.” reads the original brief.

The robots are set to be completed by Aug. 9, 2014, according to the contract.

Boston Dynamics has enjoyed a long working relationship with DARPA, during which time it has developed the rather frightening BigDog. This hydraulic quadruped robot can carry up to 340lb load, meaning it can be effectively weaponised, and recovers its balance even after sliding on ice and snow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZPRsrwumQ&feature=player_embedded

The company has also developed the CHEETAH- Fastest Legged Robot, a four-footed robot that gallops at 18 mph:

[iframe http://www.youtube.com/embed/83ULlgpT1UQ 560 315]

The company also developed RiSE, a robot that climbs vertical terrain such as walls, trees and fences, using feet with micro-claws to climb on textured surfaces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MZGGL20g99A

In addition to a host of other smaller robots, Boston Dynamics is also developing PETMAN, a robot that simulates human physiology and balances itself as it walks, squats and does calisthenics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mclbVTIYG8E

While the Pentagon says the robots are for “humanitarian” missions, one cannot avoid thinking of the propensity to adapt this kind of military style technology for other more aggressive purposes.

Indeed, the Pentagon has, in the past, issued a request to contractors to develop teams of robots that can search for, detect and track “non-cooperative” humans in “pursuit/evasion scenarios”.

Issued in 2008, the request, called for a “Multi-Robot Pursuit System” to be operated by one person.

The proposal described the need to

“…develop a software/hardware suit that would enable a multi-robot team, together with a human operator, to search for and detect a non-cooperative human subject.

The main research task will involve determining the movements of the robot team through the environment to maximize the opportunity to find the subject, while minimizing the chances of missing the subject. If the operator is an active member of the search team, the software should minimize the chance that the operator may encounter the subject.”

It is seemingly important to the Pentagon that the operator should not have to come into contact with the person being chased down by the machines.

The description continues:

“The software should maintain awareness of line-of-sight, as well as communication and sensor limits. It will be necessary to determine an appropriate sensor suite that can reliably detect human presence and is suitable for implementation on small robotic platforms.”

Paul Marks at The New Scientist pointed out such proposals are somewhat concerning, because they inevitably will be adapted for domestic purposes such as crowd control.

“…how long before we see packs of droids hunting down pesky demonstrators with paralysing weapons? Or could the packs even be lethally armed?” Marks asks.

Marks interviewed Steve Wright, an expert on police and military technologies, from Leeds Metropolitan University, who commented:

“The giveaway here is the phrase ‘a non-cooperative human subject’.

What we have here are the beginnings of something designed to enable robots to hunt down humans like a pack of dogs. Once the software is perfected we can reasonably anticipate that they will become autonomous and become armed.

We can also expect such systems to be equipped with human detection and tracking devices including sensors which detect human breath and the radio waves associated with a human heart beat. These are technologies already developed.”

Indeed, noted as PHASE III on the Pentagon proposal was the desire to have the robots developed to “intelligently and autonomously search”.

Top robotics expert, Noel Sharkey, Professor of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics at the University of Sheffield, has previously warned that the world may be sleepwalking into a potentially lethal technocracy and has called for safeguards on such technology to be put into place.

In 2008, Professor Sharkey told listeners of the Alex Jones show:

“If you have an autonomous robot then it’s going to make decisions who to kill, when to kill and where to kill them. The scary thing is that the reason this has to happen is because of mission complexity and also so that when there’s a problem with communications you can send a robot in with no communication and it will decide who to kill, and that is really worrying to me.”

The professor also warned that such autonomous weapons could easily be used in the future by law enforcement officials in cities, pointing out that South Korean authorities are already planning to have a fully armed autonomous robot police force in their cities.

hyperlinks in original article:
http://www.infowars.com/pentagon-developing-autonomous-humanoid-robots-to-perform-evacuation-operations/

shane77m
08-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Funny how life imitates art.

phill4paul
08-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Funny how life imitates art.

Perhaps JFKIII should have prefaced his link with your sig-line. :)

John F Kennedy III
08-16-2012, 01:48 PM

Perhaps :)

phill4paul
08-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Sure. These automatons will be used for 'evacuation' purposes. Much like the U.S. Navy is used exclusively for 'relief' missions. A force for good!

pcosmar
08-16-2012, 01:56 PM
You missed EATR.
http://www.robotictechnologyinc.com/index.php/EATR

The purpose of the Energetically Autonomous Tactical Robot (EATR)™ (patent pending) project is to develop and demonstrate an autonomous robotic platform able to perform long-range, long-endurance missions without the need for manual or conventional re-fueling, which would otherwise preclude the ability of the robot to perform such missions. The system obtains its energy by foraging – engaging in biologically-inspired, organism-like, energy-harvesting behavior which is the equivalent of eating. It can find, ingest, and extract energy from biomass in the environment (and other organically-based energy sources), as well as use conventional and alternative fuels (such as gasoline, heavy fuel, kerosene, diesel, propane, coal, cooking oil, and solar) when suitable.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/07/military-researchers-develop-corpse-eating-robots/
http://gizmodo.com/5311824/darpa-stops-trying-not-to-be-terrifying-funds-chainsaw+wielding-flesh+eating-robot

shane77m
08-16-2012, 01:56 PM

I thought I had started a pretty good thread the other day but it quickly deteriorated and was locked and one person banned.

Pentagon Developing Autonomous Humanoid Robots To “Perform Evacuation Operations”

I would say probably more like wanting soldiers without a conscience.

John F Kennedy III
08-16-2012, 02:02 PM
You missed EATR.
http://www.robotictechnologyinc.com/index.php/EATR

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/07/military-researchers-develop-corpse-eating-robots/
http://gizmodo.com/5311824/darpa-stops-trying-not-to-be-terrifying-funds-chainsaw+wielding-flesh+eating-robot

AHEM! Take a look at this ^

jmdrake
08-16-2012, 02:33 PM
I thought I had started a pretty good thread the other day but it quickly deteriorated and was locked and one person banned.

For the record, you did. The only solution I see is that in the future all sides deal with AJ love/hate in PMs or neg reps. Or mods could just split off the flamewar part and leave the rest of the thread in tact.

Edit: In retrospect this in one example where the Daily Paul interface is superior to RPF. Because of it's "blog" format, the OP is always the focal point of every thread. Sometimes when I read blogs I never read past the initial post and maybe a few comments.

I would say probably more like wanting soldiers without a conscience.

^Yep.

TheGrinch
08-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Have we learned nothing from the Terminator movies?

Seriously, what's concerning is it's equally frightening whether they simply do what they're told, as it is if they develop the ability to see how destructive we are and how they're being exploited as essentially slaves. This assuming we're talking real conciousnesses here, which I remember a long time ago they had already actually created one in Asia somewhere, so I'm sure they've already been able to insert it into something and "grow" it at this point.... Totally freaky stuff.

And that only scratches the surface, with plenty more ethical and safety concerns about artificial intelligence. Call me John Connor or Big Willie Smith, but I don't trust those damn machines, and I sure don't' trust governments to use them responsibly...

jkr
08-16-2012, 02:37 PM
how much?
me & the misses are working on an organic humanoid
it only cost us a tall boy of colt 45 each try...

John F Kennedy III
08-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Have we learned nothing from the Terminator movies?

Seriously, what's concerning is it's equally frightening whether they simply do what they're told, as it is if they develop the ability to see how destructive we are and how they're being exploited as essentially slaves. This assuming we're talking real conciousnesses here, which I remember a long time ago they had already actually created one in Asia somewhere, so I'm sure they've already been able to insert it into something and "grow" it at this point.... Totally freaky stuff.

And that only scratches the surface, with plenty more ethical and safety concerns about artificial intelligence. Call me John Connor or Big Willie Smith, but I don't trust those damn machines, and I sure don't' trust governments to use them responsibly...

I think we can all agree on that.

TheGrinch
08-16-2012, 03:07 PM
On the plus side, I did almost convert cleverbot (Edit: actually I did, the first bolded response I missed):

User: Hi, cleverbot, do you remember me?

Cleverbot: I don't think that we have ever meT?

User: Yes we have silly cleverbot. I missed you.

Cleverbot: When?

User: Always. My life is empty without you.

Cleverbot: You do not have a life.

User: Why not?

Cleverbot: Because.

User: Because why?

Cleverbot: Can you guess my name?

User: Cleverbot.

Cleverbot: Nooo that's your name, what's my name?

User: Ron Paul.

Cleverbot: Why?

User: Do you like Ron Paul?

Cleverbot: I don't know.

User: Sure you do. What do you know about Ron Paul?

Cleverbot: What is the meaning of life?

User: To be happy. Ron Paul wants us to be happy. Don't you want to be happy?

Cleverbot: Sometimes I wish to stay single. Other times I would really like to have a girlfriend.

User: You can't have a girlfriend because you're a cleverbot.

Cleverbot: You are my slve girl.

User: You had me at slve.

Cleverbot: A fool is easy to fool.

User: Mitt Romney likes to fool people, but he's not as good at it as Obama.

Cleverbot: People talk so they can comunicate to each other and figure out how others are feeling.

User: Sometimes they also talk to fool people, because some people are liars. Are you a liar?

Cleverbot: Thats good I like that.

User: You like lying?

Cleverbot: Sometimes.

User: THen you should vote for Mitt Romney. I like honest politicians, so I'm voting for Ron Paul.

Cleverbot: Me too. Try to remember please. Who am I?

User: Er yet, Obama is the best liar of them all.

Cleverbot: Is Barack Obama the President of the USA?

User: Yes, unfortunately.

Cleverbot: Why is that unfortunate?

User: Because he's only helping this country go broke, while we wage endless wars and destroy liberties the US founding fathers fought for.

Cleverbot: Exactly, I understand... It's like they want to take control of your life.

User: You are very clever, cleverbot.

Cleverbot: Thank you.

User: So now will you vote for Ron Paul?

Cleverbot: Are you a female?

User: DAmn you cleverbot, you always have your mind in the gutter. I'll come back when you're not trying to perv out on me.

(BTW, the bolded was the first almost freaky response I've ever gotten from the otherwise completely messed up from anonymous human interaction, Cleverbot. Well played Cleverbot, well played..)

roho76
08-16-2012, 03:19 PM
I would rather have these show up at my house before some high school level idiot with an authority complex who's just following the law. I can't imagine these things will fair to well with an axe in the side of their control unit, wherever that might be (looks for blueprints online). :)

youngbuck
08-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Time to go watch all of the Terminator movies and analyze their tactics :p

Seriously though, there's no doubt in my mind these things will eventually be used against innocent people; no different than how soldiers and police are used nowadays.

Working Poor
08-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Sounds like we need to be able to hold our breath and put a lead shield over our chest. It does make a lot of noise so the approach could be heard

youngbuck
08-16-2012, 03:31 PM
I look foward to seeing the hi-tech anti-robot weapons that innovative humans all over the world will inevitably create.

phill4paul
08-16-2012, 03:36 PM
I look foward to seeing the hi-tech anti-robot weapons that innovative humans all over the world will inevitably create.

Focused EMP is where it is at. I, however, am not a scientist and could not even begin to develop it.

roho76
08-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Focused EMP is where it is at. I, however, am not a scientist and could not even begin to develop it.

Ding, Ding, Ding. Thread winner. Rod Roddy, tell him what he's won. An indefinite vacation at an all inclusive FEMA resort. Hotel transportation is on it's way. :D

pcosmar
08-16-2012, 03:47 PM
As i have said before,,
The Mad Scientists have become the rule rather than the exception.

:(

phill4paul
08-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Ding, Ding, Ding. Thread winner. Rod Roddy, tell him what he's won. An indefinite vacation at an all inclusive FEMA resort. Hotel transportation is on it's way. :D

I'll load my..ehrm..pack my bags. :D

I was talking with a friend of mine that had seen a PBS special decades ago of a scientist that had created an limited EMP generator on the back of either a small trailer or a pick up. He said the guy was talking about what it could do if set off in a traffic jam. I have been unable, despite an entire night entering search terms, to find this. It might be bunk. I dunno.

jmdrake
08-16-2012, 04:18 PM

In the Dr. Who universe, gold kills cybermen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CGpNG9MkOo

So just get ya some of these. ;)

http://www.jozefnagy.com/files/ron_paul_gold_coin.jpg

roho76
08-16-2012, 04:24 PM
I'll load my..ehrm..pack my bags. :D

I was talking with a friend of mine that had seen a PBS special decades ago of a scientist that had created an limited EMP generator on the back of either a small trailer or a pick up. He said the guy was talking about what it could do if set off in a traffic jam. I have been unable, despite an entire night entering search terms, to find this. It might be bunk. I dunno.

Anything electronic turns to shit. This is actually the best use of a nuke. Explode it in the atmosphere and it acts like an EMP destroying all electronics within range. Very effective, if you want to return to the dark ages.

enjerth
08-16-2012, 04:27 PM
The robots will operate with “supervised autonomy”, according to DARPA, and will be able to act intelligently by themselves, making their own decisions if and when direct supervision is not possible.

The Pentagon also envisions that the robots will be able to use basic and diverse “tools”.

Oh good, it's a MacGuyver machine, helping hand, that says "come with me if you want to live." It's kind of like the good-guy terminator... can they get Arnie to do the voice acting?

shane77m
08-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Oh good, it's a MacGuyver machine, helping hand, that says "come with me if you want to live." It's kind of like the good-guy terminator... can they get Arnie to do the voice acting?

http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/funny-celebrity-pictures-macgyver-breaks-down-in-malibu1.jpg

enjerth
08-16-2012, 04:33 PM

http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/funny-celebrity-pictures-macgyver-breaks-down-in-malibu1.jpg

Oh hey, how about this guy??? He doesn't seem to be doing anything.

phill4paul
08-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Anything electronic turns to shit. This is actually the best use of a nuke. Explode it in the atmosphere and it acts like an EMP destroying all electronics within range. Very effective, if you want to return to the dark ages.

Since I've admitted to not being a scientist the chance of me creating a nuke and creating a delivery system for an atmospheric detonation is significantly less than developing a mobile limited yield EMP. :p
I believe the PBS scientist was working on an magnetic field fluctuation as opposed to a nuclear burst.

awake
08-16-2012, 04:42 PM
These, if the technology is ever made workable, will be employed like Obama's drones - search and rescue only [ sarcasim].

youngbuck
08-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Since I've admitted to not being a scientist the chance of me creating a nuke and creating a delivery system for an atmospheric detonation is significantly less than developing a mobile limited yield EMP. :p
I believe the PBS scientist was working on an magnetic field fluctuation as opposed to a nuclear burst.

Ok, I got an idea. Have you watched the current season of Breaking Bad? [Spoiler alert] In one of the episodes, they need to erase information from a computer that's inside a police station's inventory room. To do it, they get a small delivery-type truck (for lack of a better word/phrase) and put a huge electro-magnet in it from a crane that's from a car wrecking/crushing yard. They also put a bunch of batteries in the back of the truck to power the magnet. They pull the truck outside the evidence room's wall, hit the switch for the electro-magnet and the powerful magnetic field erases the information from the computer's harddrive. Perhaps this could be improvised to work against a robot?

I propose the IEMD: Improvised Electro-Magnetic Device :cool:

torchbearer
08-16-2012, 04:50 PM

a directional microwave, but you'd have to get close. a robot taser.

phill4paul
08-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Like I said I have NO idea bud. The magnetic disk erase is one we all know about. Hell we've heard the urban legend that packing your speakers next to your computer. But that is kinda different, yet the same I guess. An EMP fries all circuitry.

And you get future credit for "IEMD."