PDA

View Full Version : Garland Police Shoot Dog in Raid That Nets One Ounce of Weed

libertyjam
08-16-2012, 12:56 PM
By Eric Nicholson
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2012/07/couple_says_garland_police_sho.php

Daniel Hall's dog, Boyd, was 10 years, two months, and 24 days old on July 9 but still spry. They'd played fetch together the day before. But that day, according to Hall, the golden retriever/rottweiler mix was lounging on the floor while Hall, his girlfriend and a friend sat on the couch watching Two and a Half Men.

Then, all of a sudden, a crashing sound.

"I turned around, and there was a cop shooting my dog," Hall says.

That much isn't in dispute. Garland Police Department spokesman Mike Hatfield said the SWAT team was executing a no-knock search warrant and, in the process, shot the dog. Hall says Boyd was on the ground when the police entered and made no move to attack. Hatfield said the department is conducting an internal affairs investigation -- as it does whenever an officer discharges a weapon -- but that officers don't shoot animals unprovoked.

"There have been numerous drug raids where dogs were present and were not shot," Hatfield said.

But Hall's was, and he's doubly upset because he doesn't think the police had cause to raid his home. Hatfield noted that they did have a warrant, meaning a judge had decided there was enough evidence to justify the maneuver, but Hall's not sure what that could be.

He has never dealt drugs nor possessed them in any quantities and, aside from a couple of misdemeanor charges in Dallas County that were dismissed, has no criminal record. He does smoke a bowl or two of weed from time to time, but he describes himself as "a very casual, friendly smoker," a description that fits with the ounce or so of marijuana officers found. (I'm waiting on a call back from Hatfield to confirm the amount).

Hall spent the night of July 9 in jail and bonded out the next morning. That day, he took Boyd's body to a piece of land his friend owns in the country, dug a grave, and buried him.

donnay
08-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Decriminalize Drugs!!! The War on Drugs is a joke!! Big Pharma/government are the real drug dealers and should be investigated!!

tod evans
08-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Protecting our children by shooting dogs.

Notice all the justification in the article? "He smoked dope, it's okay to kill his pet.":mad:

libertyjam
08-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Note the witness statement in the comments by the girlfriend who was present.

Anti Federalist
08-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Gotcha

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?383592-TX-SWAT-raiding-home-in-quot-no-knock-quot-raid-kill-dog.&highlight=Garland

phill4paul
08-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Note the witness statement in the comments by the girlfriend who was present.

May as well post it...(cleaned up a bit for readability)

jessicadpaxton
My official witness statement.....

On Monday July, 9, 2012 I was witness to the brutal and unnecessary murder of beloved pet and family member Boyd, by the Garland Police Department and SWAT Team.
As my boyfriend, friend, and I sat watching “Two and a Half Men” Garland SWAT exercised a no-knock warrant by battering through our front door.Within a matter of one second, they had bashed the door open, bashed Boyd in the face and immediately fired twice on him – who was not charging but lying down on the ground frightened and subdued.... And for what did Garland SWAT find once they searched the house? …Less than 1 oz of marijuana – the smallest amount to qualify for a misdemeanor charge.
I and my friend were never read our rights. As myself and my friend stood zip-tied with our faces to the wall, and with my boyfriend pinned to the ground crying for his dog – I pleaded for a veterinarian because at that time Boyd was still breathing and was told that Animal Control had been called out to dispose of the animal. Clearly my pleas annoyed the officer because he jerked me violently and told me to be quiet.
The final hours of the “raid” consisted of SWAT tearing apart our house looking for all the shells they had deployed and moving them outside to take photos of them, while also finding nothing in our house warranting more than a misdemeanor ticket. One officer snidely commented to my boyfriend that he “smelled like shit” to which he replied, “Yes, because you just murdered my dog and he crawled on me.”Several other officers were heard discussing who would get to “finish the dog” to which a reply was heard, “Let the rookie do it.”

(let the rookie prove he is one of us...p4p)

Garland SWAT apparently justifies thousands of tax-payer dollars and the brutal point blank murder of a family pet for a $500 bond and a class c misdemeanor. Sadly, this is not unprecedented in Garland, TX. Simply Google “Garland Police Kills Dog” and you will find may stories like ours.
Let me state for the record that I as well as many, many others know my boyfriend and loved his dog Boyd. Boyd is a big dog but never aggressive. Boyd hides under the bed when thunderstorms strike or recently during Fourth of July. While there may have been the minimum chargeable amount of marijuana in the house – let me also state that my family and friend are NOT and have NEVER have been involved in ANYTHING that would require a no-knock warrant served by hostile SWAT officers.If there actually even was any kind of “investigation” Garland Police would absolutely know this beyond a shadow of a doubt.Perhaps that is why we were never presented the Affidavit from the Judge stating what in God’s name the police were “supposedly” going to find, that is legally supposed to accompany the warrant. I truly hope that all the officers present that evening went home with their heads hung in shame and embarrassment because they know in their hearts that all they did on Monday, July 9, 2012, was bust a couple of people with a little pot and then murder their dog for it.If you would like to help in this cause please feel free to pass this story to anyone and everyone you can think of that might be helpful.
If you would like file a complaint and let Garland Police know how you feel about this you can also go here: http://www.garlandtx.gov/gov/lq/safety/police/admin/complaints.asp or write to Garland Police DepartmentOffice of Internal Affairs1891 Forest Ln.Garland, TX. 75042Phone 972-205-2015Fax 972-485-4801

tod evans
08-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Get a rope...................Several!

pcosmar
08-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Get a rope...................Several!

They are doing it to themselves. Each and every incident like this is spread,,by word of mouth when not in the media or internet.
Every one..
Each time more people know exactly who the enemy is,, despite the media hype.

They are painting the targets on their own chests.

Dr.3D
08-16-2012, 02:11 PM
I still can't understand what allows police to break and enter a home, especially when there is someone home to answer the door. Shouldn't the search warrant be served and the object being searched for described before the search begins?

fisharmor
08-16-2012, 02:23 PM
I still can't understand what allows police to break and enter a home, especially when there is someone home to answer the door. Shouldn't the search warrant be served and the object being searched for described before the search begins?

I still can't understand why we have a constabulary.

Anti Federalist
08-16-2012, 02:26 PM
One officer snidely commented to my boyfriend that he “smelled like shit” to which he replied, “Yes, because you just murdered my dog and he crawled on me.”

Several other officers were heard discussing who would get to “finish the dog” to which a reply was heard, “Let the rookie do it.”

Combat quals!

<<< Hoo-Rah >>>

tod evans
08-16-2012, 02:32 PM

We, you, me Pete.........every one of us have "allowed" this shit to take place.

We know that the cops and prosecutors are doing this in the name of the "War on Drugs" and yet each of us stands by when our neighbors mindlessly approve these laws.

We're not screaming loud enough when "The-News" proclaims their version of truth...

These laws aren't protecting anyone but the "Just-Us" system.

Dr.3D
08-16-2012, 02:43 PM
We, you, me Pete.........every one of us have "allowed" this shit to take place.

We know that the cops and prosecutors are doing this in the name of the "War on Drugs" and yet each of us stands by when our neighbors mindlessly approve these laws.

We're not screaming loud enough when "The-News" proclaims their version of truth...

These laws aren't protecting anyone but the "Just-Us" system.
Well, if someone comes breaking into my home, I'll shoot first and ask questions later. Sometimes that screams louder than words.

tod evans
08-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Well, if someone comes breaking into my home, I'll shoot first and ask questions later. Sometimes that screams louder than words.

I honestly hope that you're never put in that situation.

Dr.3D
08-16-2012, 02:49 PM
I honestly hope that you're never put in that situation.
So do I, but that is part of the live free or die trying attitude. I would probably get killed, defending myself and my rights as a human being.