PDA

View Full Version : Grover Norquist Wants Cuts in Military Spending

Agorism
08-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Grover Norquist Wants Cuts in Military Spending

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/grover-norquist-wants-cuts-military-s

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, his would-be vice president Paul Ryan, and defense hawks in Congress are wrong that savings can't be found in the U.S. defense budget, according to Grover Norquist, the influential president of Americans for Tax Reform, who said that he will fight using any new revenues to keep military spending high.

"We can afford to have an adequate national defense which keeps us free and safe and keeps everybody afraid to throw a punch at us, as long as we don't make some of the decisions that previous administrations have, which is to over extend ourselves overseas and think we can run foreign governments," Norquist said Monday at an event at the Center for the National Interest, formerly the Nixon Center.

But Ryan's views are at odds with those of Norquist and other budget hawks, who argue that defense budgets can be trimmed. Ryan's budget plan provides for increasing military spending and doesn't suggest any tradeoff or specific defense reforms.

"Other people need to lead the argument on how can conservatives lead a fight to have a serious national defense without wasting money," Norquist said. "I wouldn't ask Ryan to be the reformer of the defense establishment."

Avoiding $54 billion of arbitrary defense cuts next year as a result of the Budget Control Act of 2011, in what's known as "sequestration," has been a focus of Romney's campaign and one of his main points of contrast with President Obama. Romney's views align him with defense hawks who are leading that effort on the Hill, such as House Armed
Services Committee Chairman Buck McKeon (R-CA) and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), who support closing tax loopholes and deductions to avoid sequestration.

"You will get serious conversation from the advocates of Pentagon spending when they understand ‘here's the dollar amount, now make decisions," Norquist said. "They want to argue you have to raise taxes -- you can't solve the problem."

Norquist vowed to fight any effort to use the money saved by tax reform to pay for military spending or to avoid the sequester.

Brett85
08-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Grover is definitely one of the good guys.

sailingaway
08-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Excellent. Maybe he'll put it into his candidate ranking system.

trey4sports
08-15-2012, 07:37 PM
way to go Grover!

jkr
08-15-2012, 07:38 PM
how bout cutting noaa and the ssa bullet allowance?

juleswin
08-15-2012, 07:43 PM
And Paul Ryan wants to rein in the Fed. Smoke and fucking mirrors. I think I will be convinced when he inserts no new spending(spending increase) in his contract.

GeorgiaAvenger
08-15-2012, 07:45 PM
And Paul Ryan wants to rein in the Fed. Smoke and fucking mirrors. I think I will be convinced when he inserts no new spending(spending increase) in his contract.No need to attack Grover. He is great for liberty.

Agorism
08-15-2012, 08:09 PM
And Paul Ryan wants to rein in the Fed. Smoke and fucking mirrors. I think I will be convinced when he inserts no new spending(spending increase) in his contract.

Yep. Grover is the man.

He was one of the three CPAC guys who made sure things were fair for Ron Paul as well.

Agorism
08-15-2012, 08:22 PM
2007 Grover at Ron Paul's Rally for the Republic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm9geoS4xMs

sailingaway
08-15-2012, 08:24 PM

Norquist is a lot better than Ryan.

When Sanders sold out the audit the fed bill in the senate in 2010, and replaced the entire text of the bill a majority of senators had already gone on record as supporting in a test vote, De Mint brought the original text back as an amendment and many flaked off to the sold out language voting against the amendment even though they had already said they agreed with that language when it had been in the other bill.

Norquist said only the real audit the fed, the version that passed the house, would count as having voted for it in his ranking system. There was a fair amount of dismay. He isn't Ron Paul, but he has more spine than a lot of them, and Ryan is simply a fake, so comparing them isn't fair, imho.

Agorism
08-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Grover is a Methodist, but he's married to a Palestinian Muslim.

There is a reason why his enemies dislike him because he does not share their foreign policy views.

idiom
08-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Hang on, We like Grover?

sailingaway
08-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Hang on, We like Grover?

Compared to whom? He has spoken out for Ron when Ron was being trashed a few times, and I started to pay attention to him, he's ok on some things compared to the other voices out there.

Brett85
08-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Hang on, We like Grover?

Why wouldn't you like him?

Rudeman
08-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Because the mainstream media said he's evil?

We're supposed to trust the mainstream media right?

Agorism
08-16-2012, 09:59 PM
bump

cindy25
08-17-2012, 04:33 AM

There is a reason why his enemies dislike him because he does not share their foreign policy views.

this explains a lot. i didn't know that.

jonhowe
08-17-2012, 05:24 AM

I... did not know that. Noted.

FreedomProsperityPeace
08-17-2012, 06:33 PM
George H.W. Bush: 'Who the hell is Grover Norquist anyway?'
http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/domestic-taxes/237771-george-hw-bush-qwho-the-hell-is-grover-norquist-anywayq

libertariantexas
08-18-2012, 02:46 AM
Hang on, We like Grover?

The guy isn't perfect. There are certainly times when I disagree with him.

But overall, I believe he is a true fiscal conservative.

Certainly far better than most Republicans, and probably all Democrats.

Agorism
08-19-2012, 01:15 PM
bump