PDA

View Full Version : Liberals or Conservatives? Which Group is More Frustrating to Talk To?

James Madison
08-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Simple question.

Personally, I can't stand interacting with liberals. At least conservatives will only argue with you if you initiate the discussion (usually). Even then, they don't really care. Liberals, on the other hand, will go out of their way to lecture you on topics of little to no significance, with an aura of pseudo-intellectualism for good measure.

Nirvikalpa
08-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Neo-cons have always been to worst to me. A liberal I can reason with about wars... but neo-cons are "every dead middle-easterner is one less terrorist", "if you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them," flag-waving lunatics around here.

Anti Federalist
08-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Both are equally frustrating.

It's like getting in the middle of two siblings fighting.

Once you stick your nose in, they both turn on you.

I've had the most success in "enlightening" people who came to the discussion with no prior political baggage at all, but just a sense that something is terribly, terribly wrong in the USA today.

nano1895
08-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Eh I voted liberal/progressive but I guess it depends on the day. And yes I have noticed that liberals do like to talk with an aura of intellectualism. They sure do like to cite all of these statistics/studies conveniently ignoring the fiscal unsustainability of many of their positions, instead just parroting that if only the rich payed more every goddam problem would be solved. If only the rich payed more than SS/Medicare would be fixed? then I guess it isn't the regular people's money that they put in, boom.....

torchbearer
08-15-2012, 06:06 PM
both equally and for the same reason.
their world view is constructed from "facts" provided by the propoganda channel of their choice. when i start a conversation with them- we aren't even talking about the same shit most of the time. they have a simpleton view- so when i say something it is placed in the context of left-right, us-them, format and is never understood.

torchbearer
08-15-2012, 06:07 PM
both equally and for the same reason.
their world view is constructed from "facts" provided by the propoganda channel of their choice. when i start a conversation with them- we aren't even talking about the same shit most of the time. they have a simpleton view- so when i say something it is placed in the context of left-right, us-them, format and is never understood.

the power elite can use this as a confirmation that their strategy is working

JK/SEA
08-15-2012, 06:07 PM
is there a difference that can be measured? social issues aside...

cajuncocoa
08-15-2012, 06:10 PM

I've had the most success in "enlightening" people who came to the discussion with no prior political baggage at all, but just a sense that something is terribly, terribly wrong in the USA today.Agree. The only difference I can see is that liberals/progressives tend to be more insulting than neocons, and there are no depths to which they will not sink in doing so.

James Madison
08-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Neo-cons have always been to worst to me. A liberal I can reason with about wars... but neo-cons are "every dead middle-easterner is one less terrorist", "if you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them," flag-waving lunatics around here.

Odd. I've met a lot of leftists who adopt similar opinions. Instead of saying that all Middle Easterners are evil yadda yadda, they will often reply with, "why don't we leave and just carpet bomb the whole country". Plus these were the same idiots that started dancing in the streets (with neo-cons) after the news of Bin Laden's death. At least most neo-cons will admit they love war. Progressives do too yet pretend not to when a (R) is in office.

Brett85
08-15-2012, 06:17 PM
I think there's a big difference between paleo conservatives and neo-conservatives. I disagree with the libertarians here on some issues, but I would say that I still agree with libertarians on about 90% of the issues. The same can't be said of neo-conservatives and libertarians. Those two groups have very little in common.

BamaAla
08-15-2012, 06:22 PM
I think there's a big difference between paleo conservatives and neo-conservatives. I disagree with the libertarians here on some issues, but I would say that I still agree with libertarians on about 90% of the issues. The same can't be said of neo-conservatives and libertarians. Those two groups have very little in common.

Yep.

I'm more of a paleo myself, but I can get along with the other parts of the party (libertarians, realists) with the big exception of neoconservatives. Fortunately, and contrary to what many on this site may believe, the neoconservatives are usually few and far between. I find very little difference between the liberals and the neocons, but if I had to choose, I dislike the liberals the most.

Anti Federalist
08-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Yep.

I'm more of a paleo myself, but I can get along with the other parts of the party (libertarians, realists) with the big exception of neoconservatives. Fortunately, and contrary to what many on this site may believe, the neoconservatives are usually few and far between. I find very little difference between the liberals and the neocons, but if I had to choose, I dislike the liberals the most.

"Neo-Con" does get thrown around too much, as it really does describe a very specific political belief system.

DerailingDaTrain
08-15-2012, 06:42 PM
I didn't vote because it depends on the topic of conversation.

pcosmar
08-15-2012, 07:01 PM
We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false.-- William Casey, CIA Director (from first staff meeting in 1981).

Depends on the day,, and the starting point.

Vessol
08-15-2012, 07:02 PM
You'd think it would be easy to talk to conservatives/neocons about the free market. Yeah they believe the rhetoric, but when you get down to the nitty gritty of the Fed, the Dept. of Education, all the regulations, etc. They're as centralist as your average liberal.

Drex
08-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Conservatives... from the ones I've ran into they're so hard headed!!! Liberals I know are open minded to things I say... this is just my experience though it would be way different from others

Jingles
08-15-2012, 07:22 PM
I put "depends on the day" simply because I rarely interact with many progressive/liberals. If I do encounter liberals they are the very moderate (I never really looked into my political philosophy much, but I guess I support Democrats) that are very easy to interact with. They are just kind of open to hearing my position. We held several tabling events on campus for Ron Paul and the only people we actually debated were Santorum supporters (which is a horrible experience and I don't wish it upon anyone).

I just always tend to have much more interactions with neocons and very rarely encounter progressives. Although debating hardcore liberals is pisses me off greatly.

All in all, it depends on the person and how civil they are. I don't mind having a calm intellectual discussion with anyone of any political philosophy. I always stay on that level in a discussion with someone 99% of the time, but the other person in the discussion doesn't really.

BuddyRey
08-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Right now, it's liberals. But once the Republicans take power again, all the goodwill I've built up with conservatives since '08 will be dashed. It's exactly what happened, but in the other direction, when Obama deposed Bush.

John F Kennedy III
08-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Most "conservatives" actually are liberal/progressive, so that's what I picked.

Xhin
08-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Oh god liberals. I'm not sure whether it's the accumulated hate against conservatism or the inability to listen to viewpoints that agree somewhat with their views that makes them so difficult to talk to.

Also "Neo-Cons" should technically be in the same category as liberals/progressives. Check up on their history.

James Madison
08-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Oh god liberals. I'm not sure whether it's the accumulated hate against conservatism or the inability to listen to viewpoints that agree somewhat with their views that makes them so difficult to talk to.

Also "Neo-Cons" should technically be in the same category as liberals/progressives. Check up on their history.

Libs also love to throw around their trademark buzzwords: racist, bigot, ignorant, backwards....you know the rest...

Never before have I seen such a mixture of American jingoism and white guilt.

heavenlyboy34
08-15-2012, 08:59 PM

I've had the most success in "enlightening" people who came to the discussion with no prior political baggage at all, but just a sense that something is terribly, terribly wrong in the USA today.
Pretty much that^^ (assuming we mean "liberal" in the modern American sense). However, the "Left" is more open to libertarianism in my experience. ETA: just as there is a "stupid right", there is a "stupid left" that won't even consider opinions outside of their comfort zone. :(

axiomata
08-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Depends on who is president...

PierzStyx
08-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Liberals at their worst are self-righteous stuck up a-holes who glorify in their pseudo-intellectualism.

Neo-Cons ARE liberals, but ones that embrace their ignorance and glorify that.

A real conservative is neither a liberal nor a "neo-con".

PierzStyx
08-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Depends on who is president...

Truth.

angelatc
08-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Simple question.

Personally, I can't stand interacting with liberals. At least conservatives will only argue with you if you initiate the discussion (usually). Even then, they don't really care. Liberals, on the other hand, will go out of their way to lecture you on topics of little to no significance, with an aura of pseudo-intellectualism for good measure.

I hate liberals.

low preference guy
08-15-2012, 09:24 PM
so is it better to talk to evil or stupid people?

mac_hine
08-15-2012, 09:27 PM
When Puppet Bush was doing the elite's bidding, I got along better with Liberals.
Since the baton has been passed to Puppet Obama, I get along better with Conservatives.

And round and round we go......

nobody's_hero
08-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Conservatives, simply because they should know better.

Liberals yeah, they're really naive in trusting government and you can pretty much expect them to try to run everything that isn't their business. —No surprises, anyway.

But self-proclaimed limited-government conservatives who support big-government candidates/policies? OOoooh-weee. They piss me off.

Origanalist
08-15-2012, 10:59 PM

I was a paleo before I knew what it meant.

Iptay
08-15-2012, 11:03 PM
It depends on the day really.

Both sides are just brainwashed by the talking heads on T.V. I'm just sick and tired of hearing all this "anti-Obama" crap from Republicans, as if Bush was some glorious president or as if Romney will do any better.

heavenlyboy34
08-15-2012, 11:23 PM
I hate liberals.
Love thy neighbor! ;)

James Madison
08-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Bump.

cajuncocoa
08-16-2012, 01:36 PM
I was a paleo before I knew what it meant.Me too. I always tended to label myself "libertarian" but I think paleo describes me better once I learned what it meant.