PDA

View Full Version : You Will Not Believe What Some People Are Willing To Do For A Paycheck These Days

John F Kennedy III
08-14-2012, 02:58 PM
You Will Not Believe What Some People Are Willing To Do For A Paycheck These Days

Michael Snyder
The Economic Collapse
Aug 14, 2012

It is absolutely amazing what some people will do to make a living in this economy. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and we have not seen this kind of desperation for jobs in America since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

What some people are willing to put up with just to bring home a paycheck these days will totally shock you. For example, would you slaughter dogs all day long even though you are really a dog lover? Would you personally train your replacement from China even though you knew he was about to take your job? Would you trade sex for a job? There are people out there actually doing all these things and worse. Every night in America, millions upon millions of people roll around endlessly in their beds and stare at their ceilings for hours because they can’t sleep. They are sick to their stomachs because their money is gone and nobody will hire them. They can’t provide even the basics for their families and they feel worthless. Unemployment can be absolutely soul crushing and it can suck the life right out of you. Things were supposed to be better by now, but they aren’t. The month after Barack Obama took office the unemployment rate broke the 8 percent barrier and it has stayed above it ever since. But the truth is that the “official” unemployment number greatly understates the real amount of suffering that is going on out there. In reality, the percentage of working age Americans that have jobs is lower today than when the last recession ended. There are millions upon millions of Americans that are desperate for some hope, and there is no hope on the horizon. In fact, things are going to be getting a whole lot worse for the U.S. economy.

I like personal stories because they tell us things that all of the economic statistics in the world never could.

There are millions of Americans that have had their lives totally turned upside down by this economy. They feel abandoned and worthless, and many of them feel as though life is no longer worth living.

As you read the following stories, try to put yourself in their shoes and try to feel their pain.

Also, try to remember that these kinds of stories are going to multiply in the years ahead as the U.S. economy falls apart all around us.

A 61-Year-Old Woman Begging For A Job

A recent article posted on gawker.com included the story of a 61-year-old woman who has been through hell and back during this economic downturn….

I sent out close to 500 resumes. Most never were even acknowledged and those that were I was told I was over qualified. When you would press them they would fumble but I was sure my age was part of the “over qualified”. The thoughts of wanting life to be over were with me every day. I wanted the horror to stop. Every time I would hear of the unemployment rates I would cry-what about ME.

At one point she was so desperate she took a job where she was making the decision about what dogs to slaughter at an animal shelter. Approximately 85 percent of the dogs at the shelter ended up being killed, and she was working about 80 hours a week doing this. The really sad part is that she really loves dogs….

In 2008 I was able to get a job at the local shelter as a dog trainer. That turned into a job as an Operations Manager. Though I was thankful for the job we had a euthanasia rate of nearly 85%. I was the one that would be the decision maker on who lives and dies of over 10,000 animals per year and the toll mentally was hard. Being salary I was working nearly 80 hours a week due to shorthanded staff.

After she was fired for not being aggressive enough in killing off dogs, she started endlessly sending out resumes once again. Nobody wants to hire her, and she essentially feels like an old lady begging for a job….

Since February I began sending out 3 resumes a day. As the no return answer, over qualified and now I was getting I was out of engineering too long I started to set my sights lower. I have sent in resumes to sit in the booth in gas stations, secretary and so on. Local colleges have said I am qualified to teach there but they have no openings. I am for all purposes the old lady begging for a job.

Personally Training Their Replacements

If you knew that your company was going to tear down your factory and send your job to China, would you personally train your replacement?

That is what a whole bunch of workers in Illinois are doing.

The following is from a recent article that appeared in the Guardian….

The shock of losing a precious job in a town afflicted by high unemployment is always hard. A foundation for a stable family life and secure home instantly disappears, replaced with a future filled with fears over health insurance, missed mortgage payments and the potential for a slip below the breadline.

But for Bonnie Borman – and 170 other men and women in Freeport, Illinois – there is a brutal twist to the torture. Borman, 52, and the other workers of a soon-to-be-shuttered car parts plant are personally training the Chinese workers who will replace them.

It’s a surreal experience, they say. For months they have watched their plant being dismantled and shipped to China, piece by piece, as they show teams of Chinese workers how to do the jobs they have dedicated their lives to.

Can you imagine that?

Would you be willing to do the same thing just to keep the paychecks coming in for as long as possible?

Sadly, both major political parties are obsessed with promoting unrestricted free trade even though millions of American jobs continue to go overseas.

Our top political candidates even argue about which of them love “free trade” more.

It truly is sickening.

Do you remember when U.S. taxpayers bailed out the auto industry?

Well, since the auto industry bailout approximately 70 percent of all GM vehicles have been built outside the United States.

The insanity has gotten to such a level that some Americans simply cannot take it anymore. Just consider the following example from a recent article by Donald L. Barlett and James B. Steele….

On his last day on the job, Kevin Flanagan, after clearing out a few personal effects and putting them in boxes in the back of his Ford Ranger, left the building where he’d worked for seven years.

He settled into the front seat of his pickup truck on the lower level of the company garage, placed a 12-gauge Remington shotgun to his head, and pulled the trigger. He was 41 years old.

He was a computer programmer. He’d been a programmer his entire working life. Until, that is, his job was shipped overseas. The business of moving traditional U.S. jobs abroad-called “outsourcing”-has been one of this country’s few growth industries. It’s the ultimate short-sighted business promoted by the country’s elite because it means lower wages and fatter profits. As for the American workers eliminated along the way, they are just collateral damage.

It turns out that Kevin’s replacement was a programmer from India that he personally trained.

Trading Sex For A Job

If you were truly desperate, would you trade sex for a job?

I hope not, but that is exactly what some Americans are doing.

The following is a story from a desperate unemployed woman that was posted on gawker.com recently….

I have been very depressed since I lost my job. I go through periods where I spend most of my days in bed, and although I’ve had a few interviews those people don’t even have the decency to let you know the position is filled. Sometimes I’d call for weeks asking for updates only to get the HR persons voicemail, and they’d never return my calls. With no experience I can’t even get a job waiting tables. I apply to every job in the paper and online, whether I’m qualified or not, and have had 7 interviews total, none of which ended with a job offer. Living paycheck to paycheck would be a blessing at this point.

She has become so desperate that she is even willing to trade her body for a paycheck….

The current ‘bright side’ is that I know someone who owns a small retail clothing chain and has offered me a minimum wage job there on the condition that we become ‘close friends’. I think you & I both know what that entails, but at this time in my life it seems like a better alternative than losing the little that I have. I’d have a paycheck equal to what I am getting on unemployment with the opportunity for overtime and advancements, full benefits and a schedule that would allow me to continue schooling.

A Lot More Layoffs Coming Soon

The frightening thing is that a whole lot more layoffs are on the horizon.

Just check out this excerpt from a recent article on thehill.com….

Lockheed Martin and Pratt & Whitney are going forward with plans to issue layoff notices to thousands of employees due to looming defense cuts under sequestration, despite administration claims that such warnings are unnecessary.

So how many jobs will be lost?

Unfortunately, it is being projected that we could be looking at a million jobs lost….

Top industry officials have said publicly that automatic cut under sequestration could lead to the loss of 1 million defense-related jobs.

Industry leaders and their supporters in Congress say those job losses would hit battleground states such as Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Florida particularly hard.

Like I have written about before, we simply cannot continue to steal more than a trillion dollars from future generations every single year, but when we do make deep cuts to the federal budget the economic pain is going to be immense.

We already have more than 100 million Americans on welfare.

What is this country going to look like if things get even worse?

The good news is that if you do lose your job and your home you might have somewhere to sleep. New York City is opening up a bunch of new homeless shelters….

New York City has opened nine new shelters in the last two months in efforts to handle the city’s rapidly growing homeless population, officials said.

The city recorded 43,731 homeless people in shelters this week, which is up 18 percent from the 37,143 at the same time last year, The New York Times reported.

So don’t get too down.

If you can’t find a job and you can’t afford a home perhaps you can at least get into one of those shiny new homeless shelters.

Seriously, I don’t actually want anyone reading this to end up in a homeless shelter.

That is why I endlessly urge people to adjust their priorities and to work as hard as they can right now to prepare for the very hard economic times that are coming.

Now is not the time to be going on expensive vacations and now is not the time to be blowing your money on all kinds of stupid stuff.

We are moving into the most difficult times that any of us have ever seen, and if you do nothing to prepare yourself you will be very sorry.

original article here:
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/you-will-not-believe-what-some-people-are-willing-to-do-for-a-paycheck-these-days

DamianTV
08-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Im in the same boat. I dont know how many resumes I've sent out, most of which dont have the common courtesy to respond and simply state that they have received it. Walking in the door doesnt work either as the dipshits at the counter merely tell you to go to their website as a way to tell you to go fuck yourself you worthless jobless piece of shit. I see the same job posted across almost every employment and job related website out there, while finding the position was filled months ago. Those that do have jobs are held hostage by their desparation for the job that they are willing to do unspeakable things in order to stay employed, including destroying the lives of anyone else not fortunate enough to be in their situation. I dont expect to ever see this country have the same quality of living as it used to. I'd like to see a brighter future for everyone, but I think the sun is setting on our once great nation, and it is not going to come back up again for some time. When it eventually does, it will be well passed my lifetime and those unlucky enough to follow Generation Y.

phill4paul
08-14-2012, 03:51 PM
I work, for cash only, as a handyman (carpentry, plumber), lawn service and part-time helper to those that own 'trades' businesses. Not always great but comes and goes. People that are now out of work cannot afford to pay licensed professionals. I have no overhead, licenses, or taxes to include in my pricing. One door closes. Another opens.

VoluntaryAmerican
08-14-2012, 04:24 PM
You Will Not Believe What Some People Are Willing To Do For A Paycheck These Days

Michael Snyder
The Economic Collapse
Aug 14, 2012

It is absolutely amazing what some people will do to make a living in this economy. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and we have not seen this kind of desperation for jobs in America since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

What some people are willing to put up with just to bring home a paycheck these days will totally shock you. For example, would you slaughter dogs all day long even though you are really a dog lover? Would you personally train your replacement from China even though you knew he was about to take your job? Would you trade sex for a job?

Stopped reading here.

This pompous ass Michael Snyder thinks his job, being an editor, is more noble and honorable than a prostitute's job?

PS.

There have always been prostitutes and always will.

VBRonPaulFan
08-14-2012, 04:36 PM
if you think that stuff is bad, you wouldn't believe the kind of shit motherfuckers are doing for klondike bars!

Revolution9
08-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Stopped reading here.

This pompous ass Michael Snyder thinks his job, being an editor, is more noble and honorable than a prostitute's job?

PS.

Trading sex for a job is not prostitution.

Rev9

KCIndy
08-14-2012, 05:22 PM

And the only detestable ones are called "journalists."

John F Kennedy III
08-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Im in the same boat. I dont know how many resumes I've sent out, most of which dont have the common courtesy to respond and simply state that they have received it. Walking in the door doesnt work either as the dipshits at the counter merely tell you to go to their website as a way to tell you to go fuck yourself you worthless jobless piece of shit. I see the same job posted across almost every employment and job related website out there, while finding the position was filled months ago. Those that do have jobs are held hostage by their desparation for the job that they are willing to do unspeakable things in order to stay employed, including destroying the lives of anyone else not fortunate enough to be in their situation. I dont expect to ever see this country have the same quality of living as it used to. I'd like to see a brighter future for everyone, but I think the sun is setting on our once great nation, and it is not going to come back up again for some time. When it eventually does, it will be well passed my lifetime and those unlucky enough to follow Generation Y.

I thought Obama was going to give us all free life extension procedures? I'm trying to make it to 300 dammit.

Swarmed
08-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Stopped reading here.

PS.

He's not talking about prostitution, later in the article he talks about a woman who has had to resort to sleeping with a store-owner in order to get a minimum wage job working there.

John F Kennedy III
08-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Stopped reading here.

PS.

That's not exactly what that was.

KCIndy
08-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Im in the same boat. I dont know how many resumes I've sent out, most of which dont have the common courtesy to respond and simply state that they have received it. Walking in the door doesnt work either ....

Damian, in what field are you searching for a job?

Please understand I'm NOT being critical of your efforts. In fact, I can really sympathize. But may I offer a bit of advice that it has taken me half my life to accrue?

It has been my experience that almost any "good" job (by any definition) is procured through contacts and networking, sad to say. I have yet to meet anyone who is working a choice job who got it simply by walking through a door or sending in a blind application. And for those (like me!) who don't have tons of friends and acquaintances and social contacts, that makes getting a good job damn near impossible.

Any chance you can find a way (or new ways) to network with those who are already working in your field of interest? You never know when a "friend of a friend of a friend" might hear something and pass it along.

Zippyjuan
08-14-2012, 05:55 PM
The worst job is not having one. I spent nearly a year looking- and ended up bagging groceries- with a college degree and two majors. Took three paychecks just to cover rent but was glad not to be looking anymore- and while it was a recession- it was not as tough as things are now.

MelissaWV
08-14-2012, 06:02 PM
If any of them would like to really work, there are now three different unfilled positions at my regular job. We are having a hell of a time finding someone who can scan, file, check insurance, keep up with authorizations, key payroll, and do a few data entry things. There has been a small parade of super excited temps that marched through, only to fail at the aforementioned tasks. The last one was not bad at scanning, I must say, though her penchant for clipping her toenails in the break room somehow turned people off.

The nursing position is likely to remain vacant, because people are too busy trying to fold their business degrees into something useful around here; there are very few qualified nurses, and even fewer that would survive the particular specialty I work in.

The receptionist position is doomed because, though it pays better than welfare or bagging groceries, it does not attract those overqualified applicants people carp on and on about. There is something about the word "receptionist" that makes people quite sure the job is beneath them.

The more time goes by, and the more people attempt to convince me they are awesome at things they have no clue about, the more I realize there's a very good reason for most people being out of work.*

*Forum company excluded. If you're here, you're already way smarter than the average bear, let alone a nail-clipping, finger-snapping, attitude-flinging, toilet-clogging temp.

KCIndy
08-14-2012, 06:05 PM
The last one was not bad at scanning, I must say, though her penchant for clipping her toenails in the break room somehow turned people off.

Gaaaahhh!!!! :eek::eek:

MelissaWV
08-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Gaaaahhh!!!! :eek::eek:

We found a toenail today, which combined with this story to remind me of the horror. She stopped working for us a week ago.

dannno
08-14-2012, 06:09 PM
We found a toenail today, which combined with this story to remind me of the horror. She stopped working for us a week ago.

When I was a little kid, one of my friends found a big, giant toe nail clipping in a microwave burrito.

KCIndy
08-14-2012, 06:11 PM
When I was a little kid, one of my friends found a big, giant toe nail clipping in a microwave burrito.

It wasn't yours, was it? Yeah. Some joke.

Sicko!

;) (kidding!! just kidding!!!)

pcosmar
08-14-2012, 06:20 PM
I have my standards,, but am pretty flexible..

I won't put on a badge.

but hell,, I can't even get a job shoveling cow shit.. And yes,, I have tried.

PaulConventionWV
08-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Stopped reading here.

PS.

There's a difference between trading sex FOR a job, and trading sex AS a job, for money.

KCIndy
08-14-2012, 06:31 PM
I won't put on a badge.

That's too bad, actually....

You are *exactly* the sort of person we need behind the badge, rather than the abusive, bullying, authoritarian dog-murderers who are currently on the job.

PaulConventionWV
08-14-2012, 06:34 PM

Please understand I'm NOT being critical of your efforts. In fact, I can really sympathize. But may I offer a bit of advice that it has taken me half my life to accrue?

It has been my experience that almost any "good" job (by any definition) is procured through contacts and networking, sad to say. I have yet to meet anyone who is working a choice job who got it simply by walking through a door or sending in a blind application. And for those (like me!) who don't have tons of friends and acquaintances and social contacts, that makes getting a good job damn near impossible.

Any chance you can find a way (or new ways) to network with those who are already working in your field of interest? You never know when a "friend of a friend of a friend" might hear something and pass it along.

It's true. My dad just started buying investment property, and I manage it for him. I only actually make about 3k-4k per year from it along with my $8.00/hour job which I am now doing part time so I can finish school. I currently manage an apartment building for my dad with 5 units and it's not hard finding tenants. Once we get enough money to buy more houses and fix them up (my dad is a contractor), I will get a pretty hefty raise, so things aren't looking that bad for me. The thing is, I had to know my dad in order to have this opportunity, and like you, I don't have that many other social contacts since I live in a very small town populated mostly by old, retired people and social misfits. I know I am among the lucky ones, even though I still live with my mom. I really don't see the shame in it anymore, unless you are unemployed and live with your mom.

pcosmar
08-14-2012, 06:36 PM
That's too bad, actually....

You are *exactly* the sort of person we need behind the badge, rather than the abusive, bullying, authoritarian dog-murderers who are currently on the job.

believe me,,they won't hire me.
am fairly sure that I exceed the IQ limits as well.

Perhaps if elected,, but that is even a longer shot.
;)

PaulConventionWV
08-14-2012, 06:40 PM

When I was a sophomore in college, I had two roommates. One was from Alaska, and the other was from Great Britain. They were both big guys, unlike me, who weighed about 150 at the time, but that's irrelevant. The British guy kept leaving a pile toenail clippings all over his chair in the center of the room. I pondered why it was so difficult to use the bin, but there they were, just sitting there, so I cleaned them up for him. It's true what they say about British hygiene.

DamianTV
08-14-2012, 06:47 PM
I thought Obama was going to give us all free life extension procedures? I'm trying to make it to 300 dammit.

I never figured what good a Voucher, or any Social(ist) Service is if no one qualifies to receive the benefits! And isnt it ironic that if you are taking out loans to go to school, you dont qualify for Food Stamps unless you are working 20 hours a week, in which case, you will immeditely be overqualified to receive Food Stamps! You're too poor, you're too rich, you're too white, too male, live in the wrong part of town, dont have some impossible to get certificate or piece of paper, but short and simple, it doesnt matter what you are or what you've done, youre still not qualified! Im quite certain that I wont be qualified to receive any life extension vouchers because <insert phoney reason here>.

Weston White
08-14-2012, 07:51 PM
He's not talking about prostitution, later in the article he talks about a woman who has had to resort to sleeping with a store-owner in order to get a minimum wage job working there.

However, that is any of extortion, a form of pimping, or otherwise creating a hostile work environment.

KCIndy
08-14-2012, 07:59 PM
believe me,,they won't hire me.
am fairly sure that I exceed the IQ limits as well.

Perhaps if elected,, but that is even a longer shot.
;)

The IQ limit isn't a joke!

I'm guessing you might have seen this story:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95836&page=1#.UCsBnaPFssd

COURT OKs BARRING HIGH IQs FOR COPS

A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court’s decision that the city did not discriminate against Robert Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

That's right, folks. They don't WANT the smart ones. They want cops who are juuuussst smart enough to understand and follow orders, no matter how little sense the orders might make.

Weston White
08-14-2012, 08:05 PM
If you're here, you're already way smarter than the average bear, let alone a nail-clipping, finger-snapping, attitude-flinging, toilet-clogging temp.

Why Melissa I think this is the nicest thing you have ever said. Memories, oh all of those delightful memories... :rolleyes:

DamianTV
08-14-2012, 08:08 PM

Im looking for work in Network or System Administration. A+, Network+, PHP, MySql, all sorts of web shit, Ruby, Network Security, Cisco, some obscure Apple Database (FileFake er Maker Pro, its crap). I ran an ISP, so buttloads of experience in the field. And youre right about networking. I just dont know anyone else that has a job locally, period! Only one of my friends is employed at the moment, and thats a Walmart, but they dont want to talk to me cuz I dont speak spanish, and have zero interest in speaking spanish. Loads of background in Broadcast, but that is a VERY small industry in this market, and most of those positions have gone to automation anyway. Tried film, but I have yet to talk to a film crew that is willing to pay. They all expect that we do not deserve to be paid, period, so thats pretty much out the window. Also, they are small shitty film companies with no budget to speak of. And the more I think about it, the people that I've met that do seem to have jobs were either had before the 2008 crash, or they know someone, but these people arent my friends and we dont seem to mix. Like construction people that use drugs heavily. I seriously believe that these jobs dont exist, and are handed only to people that meet ridiculusly insane requirements. Hell, I couldnt even pass a fucking Personality Test to get hired at WinCo or Raleys (grocery stores), which doesnt help. I dont even qualify for Welfare because Im white and dont have any kids. Im surviving for now, but I dont know for how long...

tttppp
08-14-2012, 08:13 PM

That's pretty bad. I'm pretty sure prostitutes make more than minimum wage.

Weston White
08-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Well I certainly do not know what type of jobs are popular over there in the Banana Republic of Johnny Chimpo, but here in California advertising, payday-loan advance, and jewelry for cash have established themselves as the new high end job for the everyday Californian. I mean if you are not working in the position of “street corner sign holder/dancer”, “trade in grandma’s trinkets for cash”, or “granting petty loans on a weekly basis at overly high gun-to-head interest points” then well my friend, you are simply not living!

Mundane
08-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Stopped reading here.

PS.

I agree with you, however, I think the point is that people who would not ordinarily consider that occupation are now having to consider it.

VanBummel
08-14-2012, 09:27 PM
For example, would you slaughter dogs all day long even though you are really a dog lover?

That's nonsense. There's no was you could just pay someone to go around and...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/253373_260683070615807_3921713_n.jpg

Oh. :(

KCIndy
08-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Im looking for work in Network or System Administration. A+, Network+, PHP, MySql, all sorts of web shit, Ruby, Network Security, Cisco, some obscure Apple Database (FileFake er Maker Pro, its crap). I ran an ISP, so buttloads of experience in the field. And youre right about networking. I just dont know anyone else that has a job locally, period! Only one of my friends is employed at the moment, and thats a Walmart, but they dont want to talk to me cuz I dont speak spanish, and have zero interest in speaking spanish. Loads of background in Broadcast, but that is a VERY small industry in this market, and most of those positions have gone to automation anyway. Tried film, but I have yet to talk to a film crew that is willing to pay. They all expect that we do not deserve to be paid, period, so thats pretty much out the window. Also, they are small shitty film companies with no budget to speak of. And the more I think about it, the people that I've met that do seem to have jobs were either had before the 2008 crash, or they know someone, but these people arent my friends and we dont seem to mix. Like construction people that use drugs heavily. I seriously believe that these jobs dont exist, and are handed only to people that meet ridiculusly insane requirements. Hell, I couldnt even pass a fucking Personality Test to get hired at WinCo or Raleys (grocery stores), which doesnt help. I dont even qualify for Welfare because Im white and dont have any kids. Im surviving for now, but I dont know for how long...

Wow, sounds rough. :( And Systems Admin and that sort of computer stuff is way outside my line...

There are only a couple of places I'm aware of right now where the economy is booming: Oklahoma and North Dakota. Both states' economies are on fire right now thanks to the oil boom.

http://www.news-journal.com/news/nation/oil-boom-brings-small-town-worker-shortage/article_154b96da-e9dd-5e61-985c-6ef5a3550614.html

http://economywatch.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/13/13185006-bismarck-tops-list-of-cities-where-job-market-is-booming?lite

Any chance you could relocate?

North Dakota isn't too bad in winter... not really.... not if you like the cold... and snow... and ice... and temperatures well below zero for days on end... and bitter north winds that cut through you like a knife... aw, never mind! :D

KCIndy
08-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Im looking for work in Network or System Administration. A+, Network+, PHP, MySql, all sorts of web shit, Ruby, Network Security, Cisco, some obscure Apple Database (FileFake er Maker Pro, its crap). I ran an ISP, so buttloads of experience in the field.

Okay, a serious question: If you're good with computers and all the associated electronic stuff that confounds and frustrates a lot of more "average" people, have you considered offering your services to people for home computer maintenance/repair/upgrades and that sort of thing?

A lot of my friends are good with stuff like that, and they have NO clue that for most people the idea of installing a new hard drive or upgrading memory or setting up a new encrypted WiFi is a terrifying prospect. Hit the right demographic of people not used to tinkering with technology, and you might be surprised to find out how many people would pay you to come to their house and do computer and electronic work.

Home theater setup? Anti-virus and Malware removal? Upgrades?

You might be surprised what someone is willing to pay when "My computer won't let me get online anymore! Can you fix it??"

Especially if you make house calls. :)

Just a stray thought..... At any rate, I wish you the very best of luck and hope you catch a good break soon!!

oyarde
08-14-2012, 11:12 PM
If any of them would like to really work, there are now three different unfilled positions at my regular job. We are having a hell of a time finding someone who can scan, file, check insurance, keep up with authorizations, key payroll, and do a few data entry things. There has been a small parade of super excited temps that marched through, only to fail at the aforementioned tasks. The last one was not bad at scanning, I must say, though her penchant for clipping her toenails in the break room somehow turned people off.

The nursing position is likely to remain vacant, because people are too busy trying to fold their business degrees into something useful around here; there are very few qualified nurses, and even fewer that would survive the particular specialty I work in.

The receptionist position is doomed because, though it pays better than welfare or bagging groceries, it does not attract those overqualified applicants people carp on and on about. There is something about the word "receptionist" that makes people quite sure the job is beneath them.

The more time goes by, and the more people attempt to convince me they are awesome at things they have no clue about, the more I realize there's a very good reason for most people being out of work.*

*Forum company excluded. If you're here, you're already way smarter than the average bear, let alone a nail-clipping, finger-snapping, attitude-flinging, toilet-clogging temp. I could overlook everything except the toilet clogging ...

oyarde
08-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Pete would make a good County Sheriff.

BucksforPaul
08-14-2012, 11:25 PM

Have you tried applying at a university or college? I often see jobs posted at my state college with requirements that match your skill set.

Mundane
08-14-2012, 11:34 PM
There's a difference between trading sex FOR a job, and trading sex AS a job, for money.

Maybe it doesn't fit the legal definition, but trading sex for financial gain IS a form of prostitution.

Professor8000
08-15-2012, 01:42 AM
I tried to give my friend a job... he decided not to take it even though I told him that it pays $10.50/hr to sit at a desk and surf the internet/watch movies/play World of Warcraft for 40 hours a week. I offered to take him to the office to apply and interview...

Now I have to work overtime because my friend doesn't want to make easy money.

John F Kennedy III
08-15-2012, 02:43 AM
I tried to give my friend a job... he decided not to take it even though I told him that it pays $10.50/hr to sit at a desk and surf the internet/watch movies/play World of Warcraft for 40 hours a week. I offered to take him to the office to apply and interview...

Now I have to work overtime because my friend doesn't want to make easy money.

Son of a bitch...

moostraks
08-15-2012, 06:26 AM
Dh went through work today-paid today to get his job after we left Georgia due to the recession. It wasn't long before they hired him in full time at the place he was temping at. When they have short layoffs he goes back and temps. The temp service loves him because he works hard and doesn't have any of the usual temp working quirks (drinking(yes on the job) or drugs). Have you tried that route to at least get a paycheck? It ain't glorius and it's never in the field he is experienced in but it is money. He got a second job in his field of experience which he works part time but it took quite some time to get it (although he wasn't looking but during shut downs for a job so might have been faster if he was trying). This is in the rust belt...

pcosmar
08-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Pete would make a good County Sheriiff.

Thanks,, now to just convince a county of that.
Had thought about it.. But the welfare state has conditioned most here for decades/generations. And though many Yoopers are fairly independent,, many more are not.
Perhaps 100 years ago,, but not today.

I have a profession,,and talents.. None of which seems to matter. I can not get hired..(had posted about that before)
I get an odd job from time to time.. Nothing permanent. Nothing I can depend on.

oyarde
08-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Son of a bitch... I know people who get $19 for that . Private sector though , Feds pay more .

KCIndy
08-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Dh went through work today-paid today to get his job after we left Georgia due to the recession. It wasn't long before they hired him in full time at the place he was temping at. When they have short layoffs he goes back and temps. The temp service loves him because he works hard and doesn't have any of the usual temp working quirks (drinking(yes on the job) or drugs). Have you tried that route to at least get a paycheck? It ain't glorius and it's never in the field he is experienced in but it is money. He got a second job in his field of experience which he works part time but it took quite some time to get it (although he wasn't looking but during shut downs for a job so might have been faster if he was trying). This is in the rust belt...

Good idea.

When I was a university student (long ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth) I did a lot of temp work and at least two of the assignments ended up leading to permanent, regular jobs.

In once case, a couple of us temps had impressed the manager of a property management group. He told us, "I can't hire you directly from the temp agency, and I'm not allowed to GIVE you an application, but I'm going to leave a couple of applications on my desk by accident. If you happen to see them and pick them up and fill them out... well....."

I started my new job the following Monday. :D

DamianTV
08-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Wow, sounds rough. :( And Systems Admin and that sort of computer stuff is way outside my line...

There are only a couple of places I'm aware of right now where the economy is booming: Oklahoma and North Dakota. Both states' economies are on fire right now thanks to the oil boom.

http://www.news-journal.com/news/nation/oil-boom-brings-small-town-worker-shortage/article_154b96da-e9dd-5e61-985c-6ef5a3550614.html

http://economywatch.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/13/13185006-bismarck-tops-list-of-cities-where-job-market-is-booming?lite

Any chance you could relocate?

North Dakota isn't too bad in winter... not really.... not if you like the cold... and snow... and ice... and temperatures well below zero for days on end... and bitter north winds that cut through you like a knife... aw, never mind! :D

I have been thinking about relocating out of Reno, period. Nevada is one of the worst areas. We're still at 99 weeks of unemployment, while the rest of the country seems to be cutting back on the total number of weeks a person can collect unemployment benefits for. Although the statistics everywhere are complete and utter bullshit, it doesnt matter as much to me because Im not qualified for collecting benefits, because I somehow "lied" for trying to ask a question and a disagreement on my last day of work. So I've just been looking at going anywhere else. The pay for the tech industry in this area is utter shit, and has been even before the depression started.

Okay, a serious question: If you're good with computers and all the associated electronic stuff that confounds and frustrates a lot of more "average" people, have you considered offering your services to people for home computer maintenance/repair/upgrades and that sort of thing?

A lot of my friends are good with stuff like that, and they have NO clue that for most people the idea of installing a new hard drive or upgrading memory or setting up a new encrypted WiFi is a terrifying prospect. Hit the right demographic of people not used to tinkering with technology, and you might be surprised to find out how many people would pay you to come to their house and do computer and electronic work.

Home theater setup? Anti-virus and Malware removal? Upgrades?

You might be surprised what someone is willing to pay when "My computer won't let me get online anymore! Can you fix it??"

Especially if you make house calls. :)

Just a stray thought..... At any rate, I wish you the very best of luck and hope you catch a good break soon!!

Thanks!

I have been trying to offer my skills to others, but no one has any money to afford any services. A lot of what I've been doing has been in exchange for something else they can do for me. Fix car for removing a virus, for example. The other downside is that my crowd was typically heavily involved with computer related stuff, and as such, they didnt really need my skills for anything.

This thread isnt just about me. There are a lot of us RPF members that dont have jobs right now. Some of us are even because we are Ron Paul supporters. One of the reasons I didnt work out at the TV station was because of my views on Ron Paul, but Unemployment looks for ANY reason they possibly can to deny benefits, even if those reasons are total bullshit. So if there are any other RPF members in Reno that need computer tech work, I can help you out. But more importantly, I think other people in the same boat ought to try bartering with other known local RPF members. Things are bad now, but I suspect they are pretty damn close to getting much much worse, and the better prepared we are by actually working together as a community, the better our chances of survival will be.

KCIndy
08-16-2012, 04:28 AM
This thread isnt just about me. There are a lot of us RPF members that dont have jobs right now. Some of us are even because we are Ron Paul supporters. One of the reasons I didnt work out at the TV station was because of my views on Ron Paul, but Unemployment looks for ANY reason they possibly can to deny benefits, even if those reasons are total bullshit. So if there are any other RPF members in Reno that need computer tech work, I can help you out. But more importantly, I think other people in the same boat ought to try bartering with other known local RPF members. Things are bad now, but I suspect they are pretty damn close to getting much much worse, and the better prepared we are by actually working together as a community, the better our chances of survival will be.

Great points.

Maybe we could have a "members only" section here to post things like job openings, employment tips, "swap" offers, freebies, and other such opportunities. If there's any sort of similar networking system inside the liberty community at the moment, I'm unaware of it.

Anyone? :) :)

Professor8000
08-16-2012, 06:01 PM
I know people who get $19 for that . Private sector though , Feds pay more .

When you work security, a building like mine is a holy grail. Working 3rd shift, rarely is there anyone else in the building with you, you have very few things to do that take you away from the desk, so except for about an hour and forty five minutes of your shift, you are sitting at the desk on your laptop connected to the wifi keeping yourself entertained. I've been hounding them for a while now to get me a raise... but honestly... I love my job and it would take a considerable pay increase to pull me away from here.