PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 page ad possibility

Bryan
11-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Amongst the debates of changes and ideas during the recent ad threads someone posted a sample ad that had a simple message as shown below. The idea was partially complete with the "lorem ipsum" text just being a placeholder.

It doesn't look like anything got developed from it but I had a thought for the placeholder text that would be effective as just a 1/4 page (or even an 1/8 page) ad since it is simple which could make for some cost effective advertising (continued below pic).

Ok I just tossed this together. It lacks copy; It would take more than a couple minutes thought to really come up with some cracking good copy that really hits home what needs to be said. You could also take this sort of concept and do 2 half page ads or 4 quarter page ads, with the final one showcasing Ron Paul in the larger type maybe on the right to show a visual difference (and philisophical difference) with the others.

(Btw, lorem ipsum is placeholder text just in case someone might be confused by that.)

http://scottmcmillin.com/images/ronpaul.jpg

Anyway, my thought on the final upper message is this:

Iraq.
"Just come home."

In reference to Dr. Paul's statement in one of the debates. The "Ron Paul for President", URL and picture would stay too of course.

LibertyEagle
11-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Personally, I like it. :) With of course the text, "Just Come Home".

Ozwest
11-18-2007, 10:09 AM
I like it. Less is more.

Ron LOL
11-18-2007, 10:12 AM
It's pithy, which is something that's generally elusive for RP.

That being said, I don't know if it's a great idea. It seems like we're seeing lots of independent efforts when it comes to advertising. Are we getting to the point where we should maybe run some of this stuff by the campaign?

Bryan
11-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Are we getting to the point where we should maybe run some of this stuff by the campaign?

We'd then be put in jail.

bp2519
11-18-2007, 10:16 AM
I really like this ad, Bryan

krott5333
11-18-2007, 10:25 AM

That being said, I don't know if it's a great idea. It seems like we're seeing lots of independent efforts when it comes to advertising. Are we getting to the point where we should maybe run some of this stuff by the campaign?

relax bro. "just come home" are RP's exact words.

I see absolutely no disadvantage to such an ad. We should not try to hide his platform, but embrace it.

Elijah
11-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Nice! Less is way more!! Especially in todays bombarded market.

Ron Paul Fan
11-18-2007, 10:32 AM
It's not bad, but it's a little too cluttered.

kylejack
11-18-2007, 10:34 AM

As Brian mentioned, its against the law.

withallmyheart
11-18-2007, 10:36 AM
Iraq. Just come home...is perfect Bryan!

I can't read the gray writing above the banner at the bottom.

jenius
11-18-2007, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure,
I don't like the idea that it's a 1/4 page ad. If 1/4 of the page is mostly blank, people are barely going to notice it. To get people to notice a blank page, I think it would have to be a full page ad. Otherwise I think you'd just kinda skip over it.

I could be wrong, that's what it seems like to me anyway.

jpinkerton
11-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Where do we chip in and what's the target? :D

deedles
11-18-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure,
I don't like the idea that it's a 1/4 page ad. If 1/4 of the page is mostly blank, people are barely going to notice it. To get people to notice a blank page, I think it would have to be a full page ad. Otherwise I think you'd just kinda skip over it.

I could be wrong, that's what it seems like to me anyway.

I'm wondering if the reverse would be true... that an expanse of white space in a newspaper would actually attract your eye? I'm thinking that it might.

Mark
11-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Personally, I like it. :) With of course the text, "Just Come Home".

Yeah.. I modified a pic for one of Liv's projects (The Ron Paul Girl)
using that simple quote from a debate: "Just bring them home."

~~~~~

Ron Paul 2008 Cellblock

http://www.cellblock.com:80/watch.htm?id=zpSeXrHXejOHndbBZeDl (http://www.cellblock.com/watch.htm?id=zpSeXrHXejOHndbBZeDl)

http://www.godmark.com/images/swp.jpg

Convert
11-18-2007, 10:52 AM
White space is an attention getter IMO, and it guarantees the succinct message can't help but be read. I did think the quote was "Just bring 'em home" though.

me3
11-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Great idea. Really great.

Ron Paul Fan
11-18-2007, 10:55 AM
White space is an attention getter IMO, and it guarantees the succinct message can't help but be read. I did think the quote was "Just bring 'em home" though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX-DIpkJRDY

LibertyEagle
11-18-2007, 10:56 AM

Nope. JUST COME HOME.

LibertyEagle
11-18-2007, 10:58 AM

Yeah.. I modified a pic for one of Liv's projects (The Ron Paul Girl)
using that simple quote from a debate: "Just bring them home."

The quote from the debate was "JUST COME HOME"; not "Just bring them home." Take a look at the video that Ron Paul Fan posted and you will see.

Convert
11-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the link. I stand corrected. :) Just Come Home it is.

Mark
11-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Nope. JUST COME HOME.

Yep..

He also said.. "Just bring them home"

Google: "just bring them home" +"Ron Paul"

here's a vid using the phrase:

RON PAUL - JUST BRING THEM HOME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQgh29_iyfc

Mark
11-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the link. I stand corrected. :) Just Come Home it is.

don't believe the hype.. he's said more than one thing you know..

one of them was "just bring them home"

jpinkerton
11-18-2007, 11:15 AM
So Bryan are we doing a ChipIn to get this ad published somewhere? There's still time to push it somewhere before 12/16

Convert
11-18-2007, 11:16 AM
don't believe the hype.. he's said more than one thing you know..

one of them was "just bring them home"

LOL okay. I thought I heard him say the "them" phrase, but when faced with a video of the other...

It's all good. I like both phrases. :)

Ron Paul Fan
11-18-2007, 11:22 AM

Yep..

That video is awesome, but Ron Paul doesn't say "just bring them home" in it. I think it's just the title of the video. I don't recall him saying just bring them home, but he might have. Got a link of him saying it? Regardless, both work fine and are basically saying the same thing.

Mark
11-18-2007, 11:29 AM
LOL okay. I thought I heard him say the "them" phrase, but when faced with a video of the other...

It's all good. I like both phrases. :)

I'm trying to find a transcript.. so far.. I can only find Duncan Hunter
quoting RP:

Duncan Hunter:

Q: What would be your strategy for ending the war in Iraq?

I watched the Democrat debate. I watched them say,
as [Rep. Ron Paul] has said, "Just bring them home."

http://www.ontheissues.org/Archive/2007_GOP_Iowa_Straw_Poll_War_+_Peace.htm

Either way.. I like the "bring them " part..

it's more personal and identifies "who" should "just come home"

I thought RP said that in a debate..
maybe I just saw people modifying the quote..

I could have sworn he said it.. and.. at another time.. "Just come home"

I just can't find a transcript.. just some other people quoting him saying it..

literatim
11-18-2007, 11:33 AM
I really like simple ads like this. They draw a lot of more attention than cluttered ads.

This would actually make a good full page ad or one part of a duel page ad. On the duel page ad, one could have this on th left and on the right would be an artistically designed ad with more information on the Iraq War and Ron Paul's stance on it.

"We just marched in, we can just come home."

We can't run any of our stuff by the campaign, it is illegal.

Leslie Webb
11-18-2007, 11:46 AM
I like "Just Come Home" better than "Just Bring 'Em Home."

In the debate before the Iowa Straw Poll I'm pretty sure he said, "Just come home. (loud applause), we just marched right in, we can just come", in response to the Grinnell College girl's video question about Iraq.

How about trying an ad like this out in Iowa college university papers? Then hit the big time somewhere, maybe in Iowa daily papers. A poll last spring showed that over 50% of Iowa Republicans want the US to withdraw from Iraq in six months.

Ron LOL
11-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Well, if we can't bounce ideas off the campaign, I guess we just have to be really careful about WWRD. That seems to be happening in this thread so far, so I'm happy right now.

Mark
11-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Well, if we can't bounce ideas off the campaign, I guess we just have to be really careful about WWRD. That seems to be happening in this thread so far, so I'm happy right now.

The specific "rule" is found here:

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/fecfeca.shtml

To be considered independent,
the communication may not be made with the cooperation, consultation or concert with,
or at the request or suggestion of, any candidate or his/her authorized committees
or a political party, or any of their agents."

~~~~~~~

Independent Expenditures (http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/indexp.shtml)

Under federal election law, an individual or group (such as a PAC) may make unlimited "independent expenditures" in connection with federal elections.
An independent expenditure is an expenditure for a communication which expressly advocates the election or defeat of a clearly identified candidate and which is made independently from the candidate's campaign. To be considered independent, the communication may not be made with the cooperation, consultation or concert with, or at the request or suggestion of, any candidate or his/her authorized committees or a political party, or any of their agents. While there is no limit on how much anyone may spend on an independent expenditure, the law does require persons making independent expenditures to report them and to disclose the sources of the funds they used. The public can review these reports (http://www.fec.gov/finance/disclosure/imaging_info.shtml) at the FEC's Public Records Office.

Energy
11-19-2007, 01:37 PM
I'll chip in when this gets going. And a full page of four 1/4 ads is good too (war, economy, liberties, ?)

I like the idea from the other thread about an ad in Wall Street journal (or similar) by finance guys endorsing RP's monetary ideas:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=426778#post426778

robert4rp08
11-19-2007, 01:45 PM
The quote I remember was, "We can just come home."

robert4rp08
11-19-2007, 01:54 PM
By the way the ad is beautiful. The white empty space will be a magnet for the eyes. People expect to see stuff as they turn the pages. If they notice nothingness it will intrigue their curiosity.

Stealth4
11-19-2007, 01:58 PM
To add to people's curiousity - put the words below Iraq in Latin.

I was confused at first with the words below (really a placeholder), but putting this ad in a publication for educated people with some words in Latin would really spark interest.

Brian - The translation of "Let's bring the troops home" into Latin is
"Feramus milites domum"

Just an idea.

Bryan
11-20-2007, 12:17 AM
So Bryan are we doing a ChipIn to get this ad published somewhere? There's still time to push it somewhere before 12/16

We'd need someone to propose a publication and come back with the cost- also would likely have to run it though a PAC. Once we had a game plan then we could get the ad finished (not too hard since it's simple :)) and then do the Chip-in.

Anyone that wants to make a proposal, post up! :D

Edward
11-20-2007, 12:23 AM
I am Edward... and I approve this message.

Edward
11-20-2007, 12:29 AM
We'd need someone to propose a publication and come back with the cost- also would likely have to run it though a PAC. Once we had a game plan then we could get the ad finished (not too hard since it's simple :)) and then do the Chip-in.

Anyone that wants to make a proposal, post up! :DAre you thinking magazine or newspaper?

Ready2Revolt
11-20-2007, 12:31 AM
I like it. I think the white space says a lot more then a bunch of text. Feels like it implies that there is nothing left to talk about, just come home.

Edward
11-20-2007, 12:38 AM

Anyone that wants to make a proposal, post up! :DAnother question: What is the target demographic and where are they located? Republicans? Democrats? Women? Anti-war folks? Early primary states? Super Tuesday states?

bbachtung
11-20-2007, 12:39 AM
What about doing it on the front page of the Union Leader in NH?

They have these things called Front Page Ad Notes which stick on the front page.

Political campaigns are allowed to run them EXCEPT on election day.

http://www.unionleader.com/advertising/images/Advertising%20Rate%20Sheets/adnotes%20promo.pdf

Edward
11-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Anyone that wants to make a proposal, post up! :DHow about the freakin' New York Times?! The demographic target would be right and just think about the message it would send: The two front runners are New Yorkers and we'd be going on the offensive sticking it in their face. I'm not holding my breath, but there is a chance that it might get some other media coverage on the Sunday morning talkshows just by being in the NYT... which is NOT just a local newspaper.

LibertyEagle
11-20-2007, 01:22 AM

Yep..

That video does not quote Dr. Paul even once with that phrase.

If you have something that shows him saying that, please list it.

tanverenzo
11-20-2007, 01:27 AM
It's a brilliant concept... According to the latest Blind Zogby poll (11/20), 49% of likely Republican voters would vote for a candidate who was for immediate withdrawal from Iraq. Making the message clearly and candidly--just like Ron Paul does!--is a great way to get that support.

Bryan
11-20-2007, 01:29 AM
Another question: What is the target demographic and where are they located? Republicans? Democrats? Women? Anti-war folks? Early primary states? Super Tuesday states?

Make a proposal and get some cost figures. But yeah, ideally someone would do some market study if its real expensive. If ending the war is a top issue in an early primary state then going for local newspapers could be a great way to go-- but I'm not in marketing so don't listen to me. :)

Mark Rushmore
11-20-2007, 01:32 AM
I would recommend including the "We just marched in" bit. If the message is "Just come home" you play right into the "how unrealistic" defense. If you put it in the context of "we just marched in" it slips past the defenses as something humorous - but then a greater realization dawns. It would still get out the message that he's for an 'immediate troop withdrawl', but without some of the baggage that can come with claiming that without the space or time to give a detailed plan.

It was really a well crafted phrase the way he put it out.

Edit. Come to think of it, you don't even need the Iraq.

"We just marched in, we can just come home." in the center of the page there, with the bottom bit as it is. Obviously it's Iraq but it also draws in the reader as they have to bring to the ad something (however trivial) from their own thoughts, which has them engaged from the get-go.

noztnac
11-26-2007, 07:53 PM
How about...

Be the change you want to see in the world.

It's Gandhi.

Recently on the Alex Jones show Ron Paul stated that two of his heroes were Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr.