PDA

View Full Version : Paul Ryan will remain on ballot for Congressional re-election

tsai3904
08-12-2012, 02:54 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/11/paul-ryan-house-race_n_1767365.html

Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) is now running for vice president, after presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney announced him as his pick on Saturday morning. But Ryan is technically also still running for reelection in Wisconsin's 1st congressional district. And according to Wisconsin law, he is allowed to do both.

Reid Magney, spokesman for Wisconsin's Government Accountability Board, told The Huffington Post that Wisconsin has a "favorite son" law that allows Ryan to run for both vice president and reelection in the House.

Wisconsin State Statute 8.03.2 (http://docs.legis.wi.gov/statutes/statutes/8/03/2?up=1) allows a candidate for president or vice president to keep his or her name on the ballot for another elective office in the state.

If Ryan and Romney were to win in November, the state would have a special election to fill Ryan's House seat.

georgiaboy
08-12-2012, 03:01 PM
hilarious

Aratus
08-12-2012, 03:04 PM
this might have been the deciding factor in mitt's eyes if he feels he might loose in november by 3% of the total vote.

nearly everyone else would have had to make a small sacrifice for the good of the party and the country? mitt must

have been focused on wisconsin most thoroughly after governor walker's significant win in that recall vote thingie...

RickyJ
08-12-2012, 03:07 PM
It would be great if he lost both races.

matt0611
08-12-2012, 03:15 PM
What happens if he wins both? Does he just resign his rep position and they have a special election next year?

Cutlerzzz
08-12-2012, 03:23 PM
I'll be sure to vote against him twice this year instead of the usual once.

VanBummel
08-12-2012, 03:23 PM
They really are planning to lose...

Aratus
08-12-2012, 03:32 PM
letts assume he equally campaigns to the 99.9 percentile in order to win the races that he will be in.
the state of wisconsin has handed him a double edged sword that could slice up a pure meglomaniac
very very very badly. if he can legally run for both positions to the max, i may wish him luck because
i do think he runs the risk of a total burnout and a nervous breakdown if he cannot pace himself well.
winning both contests has him being very happy as he returns to wisconsin's quick special election???

schiffheadbaby
08-12-2012, 03:34 PM
What happens if he wins both? Does he just resign his rep position and they have a special election next year?

yes sir, there would be a special election.

doubt they will have to worry about that

Keith and stuff
08-12-2012, 03:55 PM
That makes sense. Ron Paul ran for both in 2008.

specsaregood
08-12-2012, 04:04 PM
That makes sense. Ron Paul ran for both in 2008.

Technically not the same, since he ran for both in the primary, not GE. If he had won the presidential primary, I would assume the party could have put somebody else on the ballot for the GE.

Keith and stuff
08-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Technically not the same, since he ran for both in the primary, not GE. If he had won the presidential primary, I would assume the party could have put somebody else on the ballot for the GE.

The presidential primary isn't decided until late August. Paul Ryan was selected in early August so there is more time now with Paul Ryan than there wouldn't have been with Ron Paul in 2008.

specsaregood
08-12-2012, 04:18 PM
The presidential primary isn't decided until late August. Paul Ryan was selected in early August so there is more time now with Paul Ryan than there wouldn't have been with Ron Paul in 2008.

Still, not technically the same. :) not that i think it is big deal at all.

Revolution9
08-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Romney ain't gonna win and clownboy needs to keep his seat so AIPAC/Banksters/MIC will keep funding his corruption and kowtowing. It's not like this isn't political science 101. Suck on that RP forum statement DU.

Rev9

Aratus
08-12-2012, 05:28 PM
60 MINUTES has Mitt and Paul R on their show in interview format neatly praising each other.
they also talked to him about the two day jobs he is happily running for. call this free publicity.

AuH20
08-12-2012, 05:35 PM
60 MINUTES has Mitt and Paul R on their show in interview format neatly praising each other.
they also talked to him about the two day jobs he is happily running for. call this free publicity.

Ryan is impressive speaking wise. Schieffer keeps trying to ram tiresome class warfare arguments down their throat but he keeps calmly refuting them.

wgadget
08-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Oh, NOzers... WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE AMERICAN ECONOMY IF THE BOY ECONOMIC WIZARD IS REMOVED FROM HIS BUDGET COMMITTEE SPOT?????

We're DOOOOOOOOOOOMED.