PDA

View Full Version : Never go to the hospital with a dog bite and tell the truth... Almost got arrested today..

Reason
08-12-2012, 12:49 PM
(Names, Locations, & Dates have been changed to protect the innocent :o)

So a few days ago while I was visiting in L.A. I gave a friend's chihuahua a bath...

This particular dog may have been a little unhappy about this endeavor and may have bit my finger pretty good.

Not a big deal, cleaned and bandaged it, the next morning I can't bend that finger, it was very swollen, not red around the wound or anything, I am quite proficient at cleaning and treating basic wounds. However it is painful enough to where I think it might actually be fractured. So I go to the ER that morning to get a simple X-Ray at a hospital where it won't cost me much due to my coverage.

I show up at the ER very early in the morning, only a few people waiting surprisingly enough, show them my wound, explain that an uncooperative chihuahua bit me while getting a bath. No worries, everyone is friendly, give me some paperwork to fill out while I wait.

It is then that I notice one of the papers has an animal control letter head on it... I stop and read it over, it wants information about the dog, the location, the owner, breed of dog, is it licensed, etc etc etc

It's now that I realize I have f**ked up.

I had already written name & address & phone # but choose to write "unknown" on the rest of the form, & decide to change my story to unknown dog at unknown park, no further info available.

I get called back up and they want the form, I very calmly ask if I am required to provide that form. They state yes. I ask for further info, I asked what if I decline to fill it out, big mistake.

Their entire demeanor instantly changes 180 degrees to police mode, "why don't you want to give us the form?!?!?!"

I state very calmly that I feel my personal info is in enough databases with enough govt. and would prefer not to add it to another if I am not actually required by law to do so...

They instantly start repeating "it's the law!, it's the law! ad nauseum...

I ask politely if they could please verify with an admin that it's indeed "the law" while I get my X-Ray, they begrudingly agree.

I get my X-Ray and come back, I am called in to see the ER doc who tells me that my finger is not fractured and looks okay, then she asks about "the form"...

Once again I calmly give her my explanation that I simply wanted clarification that I am actually required "by law" not just some weaksauce local regulation or something.

She then proceeds to loose her damn mind on me, bumps her voice from a 2 to an 8 and proceeds to yell at me that I must follow their procedure because I have come for treatment and blah blah blah

At this point the form is sitting on a table next to me and I have my hand on it.

A particularly angry looking nurse who had been standing nearby and observing the conversation walks about and snatches the paper away from me and hustles off and proceeds to ram it into a fax machine...

At this point I loose my cool, I stand up and loudly exclaim "excuse me?! you're taking papers out of my hands right now?!?! That's how this is going to play out?!?!" She yells back "you gave it to me!" I state, "no, I did not, and you're lying to my face" she then tells me to go to the waiting room or she will call the police!

I bite my tongue and walk to the waiting room, at this point I am furious, I am supposed to be waiting for unnecessary antibiotics that I was planning on taking and saving, but I start googling around on my phone...

Some stories start coming up of people talking about how they had their dogs taken and held for 24 hour observation periods and how the animal control can decide "what to do with your pet" based on their behavior while locked in a foreign cage... What could possibly go wrong...

At that point I remove my ER bracelet and walk out.

As I walk out, I pass security hustling towards the waiting room...

Inch by inch...

Scary shit.

(I am thankful that they do not have my current address on any of their documentation or records)

Anti Federalist
08-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Prison = School = Hospitals.

Some of the worst control freaks out there, are in the "professional" medical establishment.

That said, an animal bite displaying such symptoms can be indications of serious infection or rabies.

Make sure the animal is healthy and seek medical assistance elsewhere if possible.

ETA - Say it was a wild animal if you must.

Kotin
08-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Can't be surprised anymore..

tod evans
08-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Learn anything?

Unless compound, finger fractures can generally be splinted...

angelatc
08-12-2012, 12:58 PM
(I am thankful that they do not have my current address on any of their documentation or records)

Your friend should be even more glad about that.

(But the ER? Was it really an emergency?)

Victor Grey
08-12-2012, 12:59 PM
And then animal control kills the chihuahua.

AGRP
08-12-2012, 12:59 PM
They probably get a kickback from these forms in the form of $.

pcosmar
08-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Next time see a friendly Vet.
screw the Hospitals.

Anti Federalist
08-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Your friend should be even more glad about that.

(But the ER? Was it really an emergency?)

Hospital ER's have been very effective in shutting down "walk in" clinics, so, in lots of places, you have little choice when you need immediate care.

Anti Federalist
08-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Next time see a friendly Vet.
screw the Hospitals.

Wish Nick Riviera practiced around here.

Or I knew a good mafia doctor.

oyarde
08-12-2012, 01:05 PM
I went once for a tetnus shot for a bite ,just to a med center , basically I just lied , said it was random while I was fishing somewhere, I did not know anything . They had lots of forms , and this was a private place , not a hospital , I paid cash , did not even use my Health ins....

oyarde
08-12-2012, 01:06 PM
They probably get a kickback from these forms in the form of $. I imagine the state govt's require them...

BSU kid
08-12-2012, 01:08 PM
If you live in a metro area, never go back to a hospital like that.

Reason
08-12-2012, 01:08 PM
I wonder if you are exempt from filling out the form if the wound if from a police dog?

Anti Federalist
08-12-2012, 01:11 PM
I wonder if you are exempt from filling out the form if the wound if from a police dog?

I'd bet money on that.

Anti Federalist
///

oyarde
They should fill it out for you .

oyarde
08-12-2012, 01:13 PM
I think I paid around $175 for that tetnus , but they told me I would not need another ...

AGRP
08-12-2012, 01:13 PM
I imagine the state govt's require them...

If that was the case then he wouldn't have been allowed to leave unless it was to be thrown in a cage.

aGameOfThrones
08-12-2012, 01:15 PM
They sent a gov worker to my house when this happened to me. BTW, I didn't fill the form, but the person who took me did(I was in pain and wasn't focus on a form).

Meatwasp
08-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Inch by inch we are all being controlled like the frog in the cold water, slowly being boiled.

KCIndy
08-12-2012, 01:20 PM

If a police dog bit you, it would be YOU getting charged with "assault on an officer" or some such shit... The dog would get treatment and you would get a cell.
:(

oyarde
08-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Probably

Anti Federalist
08-12-2012, 01:24 PM
If a police dog bit you, it would be YOU getting charged with "assault on an officer" or some such shit... The dog would get treatment and you would get a cell.
:(

Very likely.

pcosmar
08-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Next time,,collect a few hairs from the animal,,put in a cold beer and drink it,,
screw the hospital.

;)

angelatc
08-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Hospital ER's have been very effective in shutting down "walk in" clinics, so, in lots of places, you have little choice when you need immediate care.

I'm not being snarky. WHy would an accident that happened 12 - 18 hours earlier suddenly require immediate care?

Reason
08-12-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm not being snarky. WHy would an accident that happened 12 - 18 hours earlier suddenly require immediate care?

Let's just say that with my coverage it was the closest and cheapest option available.
I am leaving out some identifying details.

Anti Federalist
08-12-2012, 01:46 PM

Never said you were.

According to the OP the wound become swollen and extremely painful overnight.

Caused by an animal bite, that is a serious medical condition requiring immediate care, AFAIC.

oyarde
08-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Next time,,collect a few hairs from the animal,,put in a cold beer and drink it,,
screw the hospital.

;) Might be why mine did not swell , had drank about 12 on a Sat night , got bit , got my tetnus on Mon on the way to work :)

Ender
08-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Might be why mine did not swell , had drank about 12 on a Sat night , got bit , got my tetnus on Mon on the way to work :)

Why a tetanus shot?

Tetanus is for puncture wounds with possible feces embedded, where no air can get to.

PaulConventionWV
08-12-2012, 03:31 PM
I went once for a tetnus shot for a bite ,just to a med center , basically I just lied , said it was random while I was fishing somewhere, I did not know anything . They had lots of forms , and this was a private place , not a hospital , I paid cash , did not even use my Health ins....

You must be a terrorist.

PaulConventionWV
08-12-2012, 03:50 PM
If that was the case then he wouldn't have been allowed to leave unless it was to be thrown in a cage.

He sneaked.

MelissaWV
08-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Most of the time, you really do need a vague story with the hospital. I have had to come up with some doozies, but it kept people from being arrested and me from having a whole lot of complication. Give them details that are important (you were bitten by an animal, about a day ago, and your finger reacted such and such a way) but avoid specificity. You weren't sure what kind of dog, but it sort of looked like a chihuahua or a hotdog doggy or something. You were just walking around and saw the dog wandering, saw a (use the totally wrong color) collar on it, went to check on the dog, got bitten. That keeps them from thinking it was a stray and foisting a bunch of unnecessary medication on you. Give the wrong gender of the dog if you'd like.

The point is, you get treated for the bite, you have a plausible story, nothing can trace back to the actual dog that did it.

You should also look up urgent care clinics. The ones here ask very few questions, almost to the point of being negligent. Hell the one I went to this weekend weighed me but did not take my height, then took my BP and temperature... even though it had nothing to do with why I was there. They asked all kinds of questions, especially concerning allergies to antibiotics... except I was there for a wrist dislocation and to rule out a fracture. :D

tod evans
08-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Critter bites are common out here in the sticks......

Advice wouldn't apply to city folks as far as dealing with "The-Law"..

Carson
08-12-2012, 04:33 PM
How are they going to be able to take care of your their finger if you don't comply?

What until they get into full gear.

thoughtomator
08-12-2012, 04:55 PM
talk to a lawyer and sue the fuck out of both the hospital and the dumbass government official

angelatc
08-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Never said you were.

According to the OP the wound become swollen and extremely painful overnight.

Caused by an animal bite, that is a serious medical condition requiring immediate care, AFAIC.

NO, I know you weren't., But I usually am, so I wanted to clarify that this wasn't my usual. Yes, that makes sense.

angelatc
08-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Most of the time, you really do need a vague story with the hospital. I have had to come up with some doozies, but it kept people from being arrested and me from having a whole lot of complication. Give them details that are important (you were bitten by an animal, about a day ago, and your finger reacted such and such a way) but avoid specificity. You weren't sure what kind of dog, but it sort of looked like a chihuahua or a hotdog doggy or something. You were just walking around and saw the dog wandering, saw a (use the totally wrong color) collar on it, went to check on the dog, got bitten. That keeps them from thinking it was a stray and foisting a bunch of unnecessary medication on you. Give the wrong gender of the dog if you'd like.

The point is, you get treated for the bite, you have a plausible story, nothing can trace back to the actual dog that did it.

How do you keep them from insisting you get rabies shots?

Reason
08-14-2012, 01:15 AM
How do you keep them from insisting you get rabies shots?

Good question...

DamianTV
08-14-2012, 01:25 AM
This is a Free Country you stupid Mundanes! Now shut the fuck up and do what you are told by anyone in any sort of a uniform, even if they dont work for the Govt.

cindy25
08-14-2012, 02:14 AM
lying to the person in authority is now the norm, be it the bank teller, the dog license form (ALL DOGS ARE MONGRELS!!), the hospital

Anti Federalist
08-14-2012, 06:34 AM
lying to the person in authority is now the norm, be it the bank teller, the dog license form (ALL DOGS ARE MONGRELS!!), the hospital

Which is, depending on the "authority" in question, a felony.

flynn
08-14-2012, 06:47 AM
Take your dog to the vet, you get your antibiotic anyway and without the complication.

whippoorwill
08-14-2012, 07:17 AM
This land of the free is one fucked up place.

jbauer
08-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Because his health insurance pays for it thus justifying higher premiums for all of us even though he doesn't feel the imediate cost of it.

oyarde
08-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Why a tetanus shot?

Tetanus is for puncture wounds with possible feces embedded, where no air can get to. puncture wounds from the canines , lower leg , I knew it had been about 10 or 15 years since my last shot....

The Free Hornet
08-14-2012, 11:42 AM
She yells back "you gave it to me!" I state, "no, I did not, and you're lying to my face" she then tells me to go to the waiting room or she will call the police!

Maybe call their bluff next time...

http://i.qkme.me/3qh9sg.jpg

Or not.

fisharmor
08-14-2012, 12:02 PM

If you actually got bit by a police dog, you'd be sitting in a cell, eyes stinging from pepper spray, and actively bleeding from a scalp wound... but the bright side is that someone else would be doing your paperwork for you.

Shit, I totally forgot I need to get my shot - I have a sheet metal shop and like to keep up to date.
10 years ago that story was good enough, but I've got compressed gas in there, and probably a bunch of potential noise violation money.
I don't know how the hell I'm going to get my shot now... I don't want to have to deliberately step on a nail.

Nickels
08-18-2012, 07:19 PM
(Names, Locations, & Dates have been changed to protect the innocent :o)

So a few days ago while I was visiting in L.A. I gave a friend's chihuahua a bath...

This particular dog may have been a little unhappy about this endeavor and may have bit my finger pretty good.

Not a big deal, cleaned and bandaged it, the next morning I can't bend that finger, it was very swollen, not red around the wound or anything, I am quite proficient at cleaning and treating basic wounds. However it is painful enough to where I think it might actually be fractured. So I go to the ER that morning to get a simple X-Ray at a hospital where it won't cost me much due to my coverage.

"Due to your coverage", meaning you are using their services, so you get to take orders from them.

I show up at the ER very early in the morning, only a few people waiting surprisingly enough, show them my wound, explain that an uncooperative chihuahua bit me while getting a bath. No worries, everyone is friendly, give me some paperwork to fill out while I wait.

It is then that I notice one of the papers has an animal control letter head on it... I stop and read it over, it wants information about the dog, the location, the owner, breed of dog, is it licensed, etc etc etc

It's now that I realize I have f**ked up.

I had already written name & address & phone # but choose to write "unknown" on the rest of the form, & decide to change my story to unknown dog at unknown park, no further info available.

Aha, so your problem wasn't telling the truth, it was changing your story. Had you lied all the way, or told the truth all the way, you'd not have such trouble, your friend will lose his dog, but you'll get your treatment.

I get called back up and they want the form, I very calmly ask if I am required to provide that form. They state yes. I ask for further info, I asked what if I decline to fill it out, big mistake.

Their entire demeanor instantly changes 180 degrees to police mode, "why don't you want to give us the form?!?!?!"

I state very calmly that I feel my personal info is in enough databases with enough govt. and would prefer not to add it to another if I am not actually required by law to do so...

They instantly start repeating "it's the law!, it's the law! ad nauseum...

I ask politely if they could please verify with an admin that it's indeed "the law" while I get my X-Ray, they begrudingly agree.

I get my X-Ray and come back, I am called in to see the ER doc who tells me that my finger is not fractured and looks okay, then she asks about "the form"...

Once again I calmly give her my explanation that I simply wanted clarification that I am actually required "by law" not just some weaksauce local regulation or something.

You just taught the hospital to say next time "because you're here, we don't treat you without the form, it's your choice, stay or leave".

She then proceeds to loose her damn mind on me, bumps her voice from a 2 to an 8 and proceeds to yell at me that I must follow their procedure because I have come for treatment and blah blah blah

At this point the form is sitting on a table next to me and I have my hand on it.

A particularly angry looking nurse who had been standing nearby and observing the conversation walks about and snatches the paper away from me and hustles off and proceeds to ram it into a fax machine...

At this point I loose my cool, I stand up and loudly exclaim "excuse me?! you're taking papers out of my hands right now?!?! That's how this is going to play out?!?!" She yells back "you gave it to me!" I state, "no, I did not, and you're lying to my face" she then tells me to go to the waiting room or she will call the police!

I bite my tongue and walk to the waiting room, at this point I am furious, I am supposed to be waiting for unnecessary antibiotics that I was planning on taking and saving, but I start googling around on my phone...

Some stories start coming up of people talking about how they had their dogs taken and held for 24 hour observation periods and how the animal control can decide "what to do with your pet" based on their behavior while locked in a foreign cage... What could possibly go wrong...

Because your dog bit you, everybody has to take the risk of your dog doing it again. I think I get your story now, it's not "you getting arrested for telling the truth", it's a mix of your paranoia on privacy, desire to protect the dog, and uncooperative on a private property (hospital/clinic) that altogether spell out "hostile".

jonhowe
08-18-2012, 07:51 PM
screw the hospital.

;)

You and I have our disagreements, but this post made my day.

jonhowe
08-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Because your dog bit you, everybody has to take the risk of your dog doing it again. I think I get your story now, it's not "you getting arrested for telling the truth", it's a mix of your paranoia on privacy, desire to protect the dog, and uncooperative on a private property (hospital/clinic) that altogether spell out "hostile".

First of all, I'm not sure you have the details right. Second of all, the OP didn't go into the situation expecting this to happen. Knowing what is best in the long run when you don't know whats going on is tough. It's like when people allow police to search their car thinking "this will make things easier".

Anti Federalist
08-18-2012, 07:56 PM

Private property my ass.

Hospitals are no more private property than the water dept or the electric grid.

Direct me to their competition, if they are private.

You can't, because in most places, the hospitals have a government mandated monopoly on walk in emergency services.

Reason
08-19-2012, 11:38 AM
"Due to your coverage", meaning you are using their services, so you get to take orders from them.

Aha, so your problem wasn't telling the truth, it was changing your story. Had you lied all the way, or told the truth all the way, you'd not have such trouble, your friend will lose his dog, but you'll get your treatment.

You just taught the hospital to say next time "because you're here, we don't treat you without the form, it's your choice, stay or leave".

You have a long journey ahead of you before you even come close to waking up.

Nickels
08-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Private property my ass.

Hospitals are no more private property than the water dept or the electric grid.

Direct me to their competition, if they are private.

You can't, because in most places, the hospitals have a government mandated monopoly on walk in emergency services.

Never seen or heard of private hospitals? No, hospitals are not mandated, or else you'd have one if every little city, like your water dept. If hospitals were mandated to exist, you'd have more empty ones, not overcrowded ones. When you say "government mandated emergency" I think you mean they are mandated to never turn away emergency patients, this is different than saying they are the only people allowed to take emergency patients (anybody licenses to practice medicine can take an emergency patient if he feels competent).

Nickels
08-19-2012, 11:52 AM
You have a long journey ahead of you before you even come close to waking up.

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

Nickels
08-19-2012, 11:54 AM
First of all, I'm not sure you have the details right. Second of all, the OP didn't go into the situation expecting this to happen.

I'm sure he didn't think before trusting an animal.

Knowing what is best in the long run when you don't know whats going on is tough. It's like when people allow police to search their car thinking "this will make things easier".

I'm not sure what's good in the short run about giving a dog a bath.

Reason
08-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Anyone want to take bets on how long it takes for Nickels to get banned?

Nickels
08-19-2012, 11:57 AM

Why should I be banned? Just because I don't sympathize with your dog bite and near arrest experience?

Anti Federalist
08-19-2012, 12:05 PM

Well, I'd never be in favor of a banning just because they hold contrary views.

That might happen though, when a mod realizes that Nickels is our old pal Josh_LA/Walt/Optatron/Liberdom/and God knows who else, trolling us.

How's that injury by the way? Hope you recoved well.

Reason
08-19-2012, 12:08 PM

That might happen though, when a mod realizes that Nickels is our old pal Josh_LA/Walt/Optatron/Liberdom/and God knows who else, trolling us.

Seems to be okay, never got any antibiotics, I have some good silver based topical antibiotic that seems to have been sufficient, I haven't received any calls from animal control. All is well, for now.

Anti Federalist
08-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Never seen or heard of private hospitals? No, hospitals are not mandated, or else you'd have one if every little city, like your water dept. If hospitals were mandated to exist, you'd have more empty ones, not overcrowded ones. When you say "government mandated emergency" I think you mean they are mandated to never turn away emergency patients, this is different than saying they are the only people allowed to take emergency patients (anybody licenses to practice medicine can take an emergency patient if he feels competent).

No, you need to start digging deeper into the laws of your state.

I am not talking about being mandated to treat everybody, although that does have relevance.

In just about every state, there are laws on the books prohibiting the start up of walk in clinics that provide emergency medical services.

These laws were passed at the behest of the hospitals, their logic being that, "we have to, by law, service every person that comes in, you can't allow any competition, otherwise, we'll go broke, following your laws".

Nickels
08-19-2012, 12:09 PM

I'm not your old pal, but I hope he recovers soon.

Anti Federalist
08-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Seems to be okay, never got any antibiotics, I have some good silver based topical antibiotic that seems to have been sufficient, I haven't received any calls from animal control. All is well, for now.

Good, glad to hear it.

If you noticed, I was concerned.

Animal bites can be pretty serious when they start showing symptoms like you described.

Nickels
08-19-2012, 12:15 PM
No, you need to start digging deeper into the laws of your state.

I am not talking about being mandated to treat everybody, although that does have relevance.

In just about every state, there are laws on the books prohibiting the start up of walk in clinics that provide emergency medical services.

These laws were passed at the behest of the hospitals, their logic being that, "we have to, by law, service every person that comes in, you can't allow any competition, otherwise, we'll go broke, following your laws".

Either there isn't a law in my state, or my area is not affected by it. There certainly isn't any prohibition of competition, the only thing stopping clinics and urgent care facilities from popping up is demand, cost and regulations. At least where I live, most hospital ERs are overcrowded, so the clinics were opened to divert some of it. ERs don't make money, so the idea of stopping competition to prevent going broke is ridiculous. This is coming from somebody who has nurses in the family, they work in different hospitals over the past decade. ERs don't make money PRECISELY because they are not allowed to turn people away, they are allowed to triage for priority, but not turn people away by law. That is high risk, high burden, and that alone makes it hard for people to want to service emergencies, to prohibit it to protect profits goes straight against it. So no, I don't need to dig anything, I know places I can go to (like this guy said, sometimes there's a short line), they might not always be the best quality or affordable cost, but they exist, and they are private.

Nickels
08-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Good, glad to hear it.

If you noticed, I was concerned.

Animal bites can be pretty serious when they start showing symptoms like you described.

They can, and I would've let them take my dog over losing my finger.

Anti Federalist
08-19-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm not your old pal.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/25156750.jpg

Nickels
08-19-2012, 12:19 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/25156750.jpg

cute, haha. I'm flattered I remind you of somebody, but if you don't want me banned, whatever ;)

Anti Federalist
08-19-2012, 12:20 PM
It is in my area.

But, let's assume it is not.

What happened to customer service and "the customer is always right" then?

Who are these tin pot dictators bossing us around?

Either there isn't a law in my state, or my area is not affected by it. There certainly isn't any prohibition of competition, the only thing stopping clinics and urgent care facilities from popping up is demand, cost and regulations. At least where I live, most hospital ERs are overcrowded, so the clinics were opened to divert some of it. ERs don't make money, so the idea of stopping competition to prevent going broke is ridiculous. This is coming from somebody who has nurses in the family, they work in different hospitals over the past decade. ERs don't make money PRECISELY because they are not allowed to turn people away, they are allowed to triage for priority, but not turn people away by law. That is high risk, high burden, and that alone makes it hard for people to want to service emergencies, to prohibit it to protect profits goes straight against it. So no, I don't need to dig anything, I know places I can go to (like this guy said, sometimes there's a short line), they might not always be the best quality or affordable cost, but they exist, and they are private.

Anti Federalist
08-19-2012, 12:22 PM
cute, haha. I'm flattered I remind you of somebody, but if you don't want me banned, whatever ;)

Nope, I'd be a terrible mod, and an awful cop as well.

No reports or flagging on my part.

Carry on.

Nickels
08-19-2012, 12:24 PM
It is in my area.

But, let's assume it is not.

What happened to customer service and "the customer is always right" then.

Who are these tin pot dictators bossing us around?

Ok, that's progress. Even when "customer is always right", there are some bottom line policies certain places have. "Customer is always right" doesn't allow you to walk away after eating and not pay just because you don't want to or can't. They are not dictating you around, they have no problem showing you the door if you don't want to play their rules. You are not entitled to their care and treatment. If you are so angry at the laws in your area, and so good at researching them, you might consider moving to a state or county that fits you better.

jonhowe
08-19-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure what's good in the short run about giving a dog a bath.

Have you ever had an indoor dog? When they roll in poop/mud/etc or get sprayed by a skunk, a bath is a must.

Or should we just not own dogs?

MelissaWV
08-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Have you ever had an indoor dog? When they roll in poop/mud/etc or get sprayed by a skunk, a bath is a must.

Or should we just not own dogs?

Depending on the area and time of year, a bath may be in order to control outbreaks of various disease-carrying pests as well. If you live in an area where chemicals are often sprayed, such as the mosquito spraying in Florida and Texas, you will want to bathe your dog to rid them of those as well.

moostraks
08-19-2012, 01:52 PM

I am surprised they have lasted this long....Like AF there is a reason I wouldn't be a mod.

Anti Federalist
08-19-2012, 02:05 PM
If you are so angry at the laws in your area, and so good at researching them, you might consider moving to a state or county that fits you better.

LOL - Already done, and doing everything I can to make them conform more to my standards every day.

And of course, all this was not about showing you the door, if it all took was simply walking out, that would be one thing.

No, hospitals will call the cops on you and have you arrested if you do not follow their "policies".

Once having done that, they lose any "private property" considerations that they may have had, and they become nothing more than de facto agents of the state.

Man Says He Was Beaten, Detained at Hospital Just for Trying to Walk Out

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/WellnessNews/misdiagnosed-crash-victim-beaten-hospital-guards-sues/story?id=11487637

After he allegedly escaped unnecessary chest surgery, a Maryland man says he was detained, beaten, and repeatedly called a "bitch" by security at Prince George's Hospital in Cheverly, Md., as he attempted to seek medical care elsewhere.

Now the patient, Joseph Wheeler, 46, and his wife Felicia Ann, 44, of Inigoes, Md., are suing the hospital, for more than $12 million for, among other charges, false imprisonment.

Though assault and battery and infliction of emotional distress (the other charges filed by Wheeler) are not usually a concern during a hospital stay, Wheeler's allegations raises an important question for patients: when can a hospital detain a patient against his or her will?

Held Captive by a Hospital?

Wheeler was brought to Prince George's Hospital Center via ambulance June 23 following a car accident and treated for blunt torso trauma but no acute injuries, according to the complaint he filed with the Prince George County Court. When he awoke the next morning, he was allegedly informed by a nurse that he would be receiving surgery "to have a potentially cancerous mass removed from his chest."

Wheeler says he soon realized that his identification bracelet provided by the hospital contained a name that was not his and appeared to be that of a woman 13 years younger. Wheeler said he "began to fear for his safety... as he was being prepped for a surgery he knew nothing about," according to court document.

He and his wife gathered his belongings and were attempting to leave the hospital when two security guards allegedly detained Wheeler. Wheeler claims the men shouted profanities at him, put on black padded gloves and proceeded to shove him against the wall, then taking him into an elevator where they beat him while he lay on the floor in a fetal position.

Hospital staff and the security guards allegedly attempt to forcefully take the incorrect ID bracelet from Wheeler several times and he was interrogated by a "lieutenant." After speaking with a hospital administrator and signing a release form acknowledging that he was leaving the hospital against medical advice, Wheeler was able to seek treatment at nearby St. Mary's Hospital.

There he was diagnosed with four broken ribs, a sprained shoulder, a ruptured spleen, and a concussion, according to court documents.

The Wheelers are suing for $3.2 million in compensatory damages and $9.5 million in punitive damages.

Calls requesting comment from hospital staff or from Dimensions Health Corporation, which owns the hospital, were not immediately returned.

osan
08-19-2012, 02:24 PM
I hope this got your head out of your ass. You approached this in about as wrong a fashion as possible.

Firstly, how can you NOT tell whether a bone is broken? If it is not broken through, there is NOTHING the hospital personnel can do but put a splint on it. You can do that yourself.

Moreover, you told them the actual cause. The proper story should have been you injured yourself in a fall, on machinery, whatever you choose and the fuckers at the hospital do not have to believe you but they have nothing to say about it. If police show up you simply refuse to speak with them and present them with the choice of either arresting you or fucking off. There is nothing in between.

Suspecting you fucked up, you were insufficiently guarded about the paperwork and some bitch nurse punked your ass. For SHAME. Situational awareness 001. I should teach classes on this.

You asked whether it was required? Are you mad? It is irrelevant. One doesn't ask. One does his business, holds off "the form" to the end, and calmly leaves. There is nothing they can do.

Finally, you lost your cool. Great way to have pigs show up and tune you or shoot your ass dead if they decide to take a dislike to you.

All in all, you handled yourself just this side of atrociously poorly.

Sure hope you learned your lesson, which is this: STFU. Volunteer nothing. Keep it simple stupid. Ask no permission. You are there to be treated. Get treatment and get the fuck out. If they refuse to treat, make note, go elsewhere, see lawyer.

Did I mention STFU? Shut The Fuck Up

Jesus.

MelissaWV
08-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Osan, just one thing...

There are many fractures where you cannot tell if it's broken. As you said, a lot of those will result in a splint, which means you've wasted your time and money. Some, though, result in complications... especially if there is a bone chip fluttering around in a knuckle, etc.. Infection is another concern with animal bites. It was not a bad idea to go to an urgent care center, for instance, but you are correct that as little information should be volunteered as possible.

Chester Copperpot
08-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Good thread everybody.... I appreciate learning from the OP's mistake and AF's little article on that maryland hospital being a frankenstein wannabe was good to know too.

osan
08-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Osan, just one thing...

There are many fractures where you cannot tell if it's broken. As you said, a lot of those will result in a splint, which means you've wasted your time and money. Some, though, result in complications... especially if there is a bone chip fluttering around in a knuckle, etc.. Infection is another concern with animal bites. It was not a bad idea to go to an urgent care center, for instance, but you are correct that as little information should be volunteered as possible.

You point is well taken, but this was a Chihuahua. HELLO.

:)