PDA

View Full Version : Airline moves man from seat due to policy, "no men next to unaccompanied minors"

Anti Federalist
08-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Cuz, you know, we're all just pedophiles in waiting.

Virgin review after 'pedophile' complaint

August 10, 2012 6:26PM

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/virgin-review-after-pedophile-complaint/story-fn3dxiwe-1226447810854

VIRGIN Australia is rethinking its unaccompanied minors policy after a passenger claimed the airline treated him like a pedophile.

Johnny McGirr, a 33-year-old NSW firefighter, said he felt ashamed when a flight attendant asked him to move seats because men are banned from sitting next to unaccompanied children.

Two boys, who he estimated were under the age of 10, had been seated in his row on a flight from Brisbane to Sydney, forcing him to switch seats with a woman, he said on Friday.

"I was so embarrassed," Mr McGirr told ABC radio in Brisbane.

"My issue is that as men we can be policemen, and firemen, and teachers, and doctors and people that are trustworthy, but it seems that nowadays we're just assumed to be pedophiles or people who commit these crimes."

The incident happened back in April, but it ignited debate on social media when Mr McGirr wrote about it this week on a blog.
The most influential people in Sport

Virgin confirmed its policy of banning men but not women from sitting next to unaccompanied minors but said on Friday that the policy was now under review.

"Our intention is certainly not to discriminate in any way," the airline said in a statement.

A company spokesman said it was too early to say what the review will consist of or how long it will take.

All airlines have policies for dealing with unaccompanied children, but it not known how many of them ban men from sitting next to them.

matt0611
08-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Why are two children under the age of 10 traveling alone on an airplane? WTF?

Anti Federalist
08-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Why are two children under the age of 10 traveling alone on an airplane? WTF?

Happens all the time.

Usually, from my observations, divorced parents shuttling them back and forth for visitation in different cities.

oyarde
08-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Happens all the time.

Usually, from my observations, divorced parents shuttling them back and forth for visitation in different cities. Yes , exactly ,and just between us , I would rather not sit next to them anyway....

Origanalist
08-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Cuz, you know, we're all just pedophiles in waiting

Don't forget rediculously incompetent and brutish thugs.

"Our intention is certainly not to discriminate in any way," the airline said in a statement.

No, no, of course not.

matt0611
08-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Happens all the time.

Usually, from my observations, divorced parents shuttling them back and forth for visitation in different cities.

Yeah, that's the only scenario I could think of, I had no idea how many divorced people there are I guess.

oyarde
08-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Yeah, that's the only scenario I could think of, I had no idea how many divorced people there are I guess. About half, I suspect.

luctor-et-emergo
08-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Yes , exactly ,and just between us , I would rather not sit next to them anyway....

lol, right answer, if you want to have a relaxed flight that is...

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
08-12-2012, 12:38 PM
"My issue is that as men we can be policemen, and firemen, and teachers, and doctors..."

Way to start with weak points, besides firemen, imo. Most policemen, teachers, and doctors can pound sand.

tttppp
08-12-2012, 01:04 PM
They said they don't mean to discriminate, but isn't that exactly what they are doing?