PDA

View Full Version : MS-School officials and local cops throwing kids in prison for dress code violations.

Anti Federalist
08-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Among other things.

Shame it always has to be couched in racial terms.

I have no doubt this happens to poor white kids as well and that many of these "authorities" are probably black.

Feds: Authorities in Meridian, Miss. Violated Rights of Black Children

By Jason Ryan

http://news.yahoo.com/feds-authorities-meridian-miss-violated-rights-black-children-214546323--abc-news-politics.html

The Justice Department's Civil Rights Division has released investigative findings determining that children in predominantly black Meridian, Miss. have had their constitutional rights violated by the Lauderdale County Youth Court, the Meridian Police Department, and the Mississippi Division of Youth Services in what civil rights investigators allege is a school to prison pipeline with even dress code violations resulting in incarceration.

The Justice Department has been investigating the agencies since December 2011 and found that the police department arrests children without probable cause, violating the children's Fourth Amendment protections of unlawful search and seizure.

Also in the findings letter the Civil Rights Division alleges that "Lauderdale County and the Youth Court Judges violate the Fourth, Fifth, and Fourteenth Amendments by failing to provide children procedural due process in the youth court. Lauderdale County, the Youth Court judges, and the Mississippi Division of Youth Services violate the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments by failing to provide children procedural due process rights in the probationary process."

The Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments protect against abuse of government authority in legal proceedings and fairness of due process rights, respectively.

"The system established by the City of Meridian, Lauderdale County, and DYS to incarcerate children for school suspensions 'shocks the conscience,' resulting in the incarceration of children for alleged 'offenses' such as dress code violations, flatulence, profanity, and disrespect." The Justice Department findings letter noted.

Describing the "school-to-prison pipeline" the Justice Department findings letter noted of the alleged abuses by the police, "By policy and practice, [the Meridian Police Department] MPD automatically arrests all students referred to MPD by the District. The children arrested by MPD are then sent to the County juvenile justice system, where existing due process protections are illusory and inadequate.

The Youth Court places children on probation, and the terms of the probation set by the Youth Court and DYS require children on probation to serve any suspensions from school incarcerated in the juvenile detention center."

"The systematic disregard for children's basic constitutional rights by agencies with a duty to protect and serve these children betrays the public trust," said Thomas E. Perez, assistant attorney general for the Civil Rights Division. "We hope to resolve the concerns outlined in our findings in a collaborative fashion, but we will not hesitate to take appropriate legal action if necessary."

About 62 percent of Meridian's population is African American, and the Justice Department alleges that mostly African American children and children with disabilities are impacted by the unconstitutional policies.

The Justice Department alleged in its findings letter that two Youth Court Judges have consistently denied civil rights investigators access to information about the policies and practices of the Youth Court.

The Civil Rights Division is seeking to negotiate with Meridian officials on the findings and if an agreement is not reached, the Justice Department can sue them.

The Meridian Police Department declined to comment when contacted by ABC News. ABC News is also awaiting comment from the Mississippi Division of Youth Services, the county court and an attorney representing the city of Meridian.

RickyJ
08-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Describing the "school-to-prison pipeline"

Kind of redundant isn't it? They are both prisons.

Forced attendance at a public school always seemed like prison to me.

Keith and stuff
08-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Among other things.

Shame it always has to be couched in racial terms.

I have no doubt this happens to poor white kids as well and that many of these "authorities" are probably black.

Perhaps. Then again, my guess is most of the people in Meridian (black and white) would be what most people in the US consider racist.

The Goat
08-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Government funded daycare and indoctrination is far from prison. People in prison are generally accepted as they are and only asked, not forced to change their ways.

Kind of redundant isn't it? They are both prisons.

Forced attendance at a public school always seemed like prison to me.

Legend1104
08-11-2012, 10:01 PM
I work in meridian public school district. Although, I work in the middle school not the high school. Yeah the racial thing is bogus. over 80% of the student population is black in our schools and probably as high a percentage of teachers is black. Also, almost every principal/asst. principal is black so how does that make any sense that it is racially driven if most of the people referring them are of the same race?

roho76
08-12-2012, 05:57 AM
I work in meridian public school district. Although, I work in the middle school not the high school. Yeah the racial thing is bogus. over 80% of the student population is black in our schools and probably as high a percentage of teachers is black. Also, almost every principal/asst. principal is black so how does that make any sense that it is racially driven if most of the people referring them are of the same race?

A large portion of the police in Detroit are black and that doesn't stop them from crushing the skull of a black man over a green leaf. I was pulled over by two black cops in Detroit when I lived down town. We were both drinking in the car (stupid I know) and all they did was make us do push ups on the side of the road and took our beers and then let us drive home. I can only assume based on previous incidents that if we were black it would have turned out differently.

I hate to use generalizations but I've seen it with my own eyes and their is no unity between the black race in urban areas. There is black on black crimes every day. There is black cops beating up black citizens every day. There is black people killing black children every day. There is black cops on swat teams that come and take your black child away from you because you're not following court orders to drug your child with dangerous medicine. It's kind of like the union mentality. They argue with and hate each other every day until the boss comes around then they are united like a brick wall.

tod evans
08-12-2012, 06:15 AM
Just as with most "News" stories the black paradigm is played for effect.

aGameOfThrones
08-12-2012, 06:45 AM
A large portion of the police in Detroit are black and that doesn't stop them from crushing the skull of a black man over a green leaf. I was pulled over by two black cops in Detroit when I lived down town. We were both drinking in the car (stupid I know) and all they did was make us do push ups on the side of the road and took our beers and then let us drive home. I can only assume based on previous incidents that if we were black it would have turned out differently.

I hate to use generalizations but I've seen it with my own eyes and their is no unity between the black race in urban areas. There is black on black crimes every day. There is black cops beating up black citizens every day. There is black people killing black children every day. There is black cops on swat teams that come and take your black child away from you because you're not following court orders to drug your child with dangerous medicine. It's kind of like the union mentality. They argue with and hate each other every day until the boss comes around then they are united like a brick wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mBe5mpIHRs

phill4paul
08-12-2012, 06:47 AM
We were both drinking in the car (stupid I know) and all they did was make us do push ups on the side of the road and took our beers and then let us drive home.

:eek: WTF?

oyarde
08-12-2012, 11:35 AM
:eek: WTF? Somehow ,picturing that , made me laugh , I even read it to the Mrs.

oyarde
08-12-2012, 11:41 AM
I was about 16 , sunny afternoon , down town Indianapolis , taking my girlfriend to a concert .High as a kite off of a doobie , walking down the sidewalk drinking a Little Kings and carrying five more in a six .Cop passes me on the sidewalk , I keep walking , he turns around ,comes back , says " excuse me, you have an ID' , I smiled, said no , he asks for the five beers , opens them pours them out while I drink the other. Nice day , good concert.

oyarde
08-12-2012, 11:43 AM
All that aside, no way I would have ever gone to jail for a dress code violation , it would have been like the Alamo ....

tod evans
08-12-2012, 11:45 AM
I was about 16 , sunny afternoon , down town Indianapolis , taking my girlfriend to a concert .High as a kite off of a doobie , walking down the sidewalk drinking a Little Kings and carrying five more in a six .Cop passes me on the sidewalk , I keep walking , he turns around ,comes back , says " excuse me, you have an ID' , I smiled, said no , he asks for the five beers , opens them pours them out while I drink the other. Nice day , good concert.

I remember Little Kings fondly 8-7oz bottles...

oyarde
08-12-2012, 12:24 PM
One of our local pharmacies would run them on sale $3-$4 a case :)

CaptainAmerica
08-12-2012, 12:38 PM
I remember in 5th-8th grade the teachers would line us up and check us for "dress code " violations,and most of us didn't care what the teachers did,we dressed how we wanted to. Dress code violation was constantly enforced and its no surprise.Ill be a little controversial here and go as far as to say hey this reminds me of when the native americans were placed into camps to remove their cultural differences.The federal government has been able to do this for a very long time, and its never going to stop .