PDA

View Full Version : Jesse Benton on "Dump Romney" group: Disgusting and highly inappropriate

green73
08-11-2012, 01:45 PM
A group called "Jews and Christians Together," which backed Rick Santorum in the Republican primary, is sending a memo to Republican National Convention delegates urging them not to vote for Mitt Romney at the convention, even if they're bound to him.

The nine-page memo casts Romney's nomination in the direst terms. A press release from the group reads:

"DUMP ROMNEY" contends that no delegates are actually "bound" by law or GOP
rules to vote for Romney and that, to win the White House and toss-up
Senate seats, delegates must exercise their right to "conscientiously
abstain" from Romney on the crucial first ballot, aiming for a
stronger ticket leader in subsequent convention voting rounds.

The core of a hard-hitting new 80,000 word book and incubating Tampa
insurgency, the entire memo can be read online free via Amazon Kindle
Cloud Reader using the Amazon.com search term "DUMP ROMNEY." "Were
frontrunners simply entitled to the nomination, a convention wouldn't
be necessary," the texts say, noting that Intrade predictive markets
gives Obama odds of about 60-40 over Romney and that New York Times
political analyst Nate Silver projects about 300 electoral votes for
Obama, rating Romney's current odds around 21%.

The memo doesn't specify who Romney should be replaced with.

A core of Ron Paul supporters had been the only organized Republican opposition to accepting Romney as the nominee, but Paul campaign manager Jesse Benton told BuzzFeed that the memo had nothing to do with them, calling it "disgusting and highly inappropriate."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/conservative-group-launches-dump-romney-campaign

ghengis86
08-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Good for them. Dump Obamney

JoshLowry
08-11-2012, 01:55 PM
A core of Ron Paul supporters had been the only organized Republican opposition to accepting Romney as the nominee, but Paul campaign manager Jesse Benton told BuzzFeed that the memo had nothing to do with them, calling it "disgusting and highly inappropriate."

They failed to mention the cover sheet of this memo in this article. Rosie Gray evidently writes articles to rock boats.

http://imgur.com/EQOYn

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0l0anHiN9yIUXdSQVZCV3UyNWM/edit

trey4sports
08-11-2012, 01:58 PM
yeah... lol. We should dump romney because the gays will be kissing in public....

pcosmar
08-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Disgusting and highly inappropriate

I disagree.

I haz a warm fuzzy

Rudeman
08-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Did you finish reading the article? Could it be because of this:

The memo is accompanied by an "expanded" 100-page version, available on Amazon. It devotes a lot of space to attacking Romney's Mormonism as "hostile to American monotheism and hetero-monogamy" (there's even a picture of Brigham Young in drag).

GeorgiaAvenger
08-11-2012, 02:15 PM
I agree. The cover is disgusting.

pcosmar
08-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Did you finish reading the article? :

Did not read the article at all. have no interest in a Santorum centric group,,or their alleged positions. At All.

But a wrench in the gears of the machine,, some doubts about a presumption..

cool

RickyJ
08-11-2012, 02:23 PM
They failed to mention the cover sheet of this memo in this article. Rosie Gray evidently writes articles to rock boats.

http://imgur.com/EQOYn

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0l0anHiN9yIUXdSQVZCV3UyNWM/edit

If the picture wakes people up and gets people to read the article, what is wrong with it? Romney and Obama are virtually the same on all the major issues, and Romney flip-flops so much it doesn't matter what he says today, because tomorrow it will be something different. Jesse should use his brain a little more before running off at the mouth.

FrankRep
08-11-2012, 02:26 PM

RickyJ
08-11-2012, 02:26 PM
I agree. The cover is disgusting.

Jesse wasn't commenting on the cover, he was talking about the whole thing. If the cover is disgusting to you then that is all the more reason to have someone other than Obama or Romney in the White House. Romney just said a few days ago that he thinks the boy scouts should accept gays.

JoshLowry
08-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Jesse should use his brain a little more before running off at the mouth.

Don't be rude. You feel better posting that on RPF?

This issue is a distraction from anything of substance.

FrankRep
08-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Agreed.

Disgusting and highly inappropriate.

pcosmar
08-11-2012, 02:50 PM
The enemy of my enemy may not be my friend..
But they are the enemy of my enemy.

Tampa will be interesting..

RickyJ
08-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Don't be rude. You feel better posting that on RPF?

You may think it is a distraction to anything of substance, but for many people it isn't. We got to use what we can to our advantage. People have strong opinions on the subject of gay marriage, right or wrong, but if it makes them realize there are alternatives to the status quo and that they can still choose someone else at the convention, then that is exactly what we are looking for. Who else will be nominated from the floor but Romney and Paul? The alternative to Romney then becomes Paul! This quite possible could be the perfect storm situation we were all hoping for that could enable Ron Paul to get the nomination.

As far as my advice to Jesse Benton, he would be wise to consider it.

erowe1
08-11-2012, 02:56 PM
As far as my advice to Jesse Benton, he would be wise to consider it.

He speaks for the campaign.

Some people here would be wise to consider what they're saying.

This place is becoming a forum for an agenda that opposes what Ron Paul himself is doing.

JoshLowry
08-11-2012, 02:59 PM
This place is becoming a forum for an agenda that opposes what Ron Paul himself is doing.

We're changing our name to Tyranny Forest once RP bows out.

pcosmar
08-11-2012, 03:04 PM

:eek: :eek:
say it ain't so

sailingaway
08-11-2012, 03:13 PM

I can imagine the logo awake will make for that....

Athan
08-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Shut up Jessie.

pcosmar
08-11-2012, 04:42 PM

I agree with this completely.
It is however a hot button/wedge issue,, and may cause some Romney delegates to rethink their position.

But it had nothing to do with Ron Paul's Campaign,, or Ron Paul supporters.
There is no reason for Benton to say any thing at all. It makes it seem that he is on Romney's team.
He could have and should have said Nothing.

tangent4ronpaul
08-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Disgusting and highly inappropriate

I disagree.

I haz a warm fuzzy

Meez too!

DUMP OBOMNEY!

-t

erowe1
08-11-2012, 04:49 PM
There is no reason for Benton to say any thing at all. It makes it seem that he is on Romney's team.

Unless he wanted to get a more general point across about the idea of any delegates trying to dump Romney at the convention.

Anti Federalist
08-11-2012, 04:52 PM

You must spread some reputation around...

RonPaulFanInGA
08-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Tampa will be interesting..

How so? It'll be the same four-day 'rah rah, go team' festival that every convention is now, for both major political parties.

Origanalist
08-11-2012, 11:21 PM

Such a tease.

jmdrake
08-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Did not read the article at all. have no interest in a Santorum centric group,,or their alleged positions. At All.

But a wrench in the gears of the machine,, some doubts about a presumption..

cool

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to pcosmar again.

Ender
08-11-2012, 11:48 PM
I think Benton was correct in his statement.

The manifesto is utterly disgusting and completely anti-Mormon.

The blatant lies and hatred of the LDS in their statements is almost frightening- have seen a lot of Mormon hatred that has seemed to have risen up with the anti-Muslim rhetoric.

It is not healthy and I certainly wouldn't want to be associated with this bullshit in Tampa- or anywhere else.

KCIndy
08-12-2012, 12:04 AM

You must spread some reputation around...

Covered it for ya... and I'm glad I wasn't taking a drink when I read Josh's comment. Spewing soda through the nose is SO uncomfortable... :D

brandon
08-12-2012, 12:24 AM
What we need to do is dump these social-cons. I'd be perfectly fine with the two major factions of the GOP being moderates and libertarians, but we need to ostracize these social-con theocrats to the outskirts of the party. Let them go third party, and bring libertarianism into the mainstream.

SpicyTurkey
08-12-2012, 12:41 AM
You would think social conservatives would want to motivate homosexuals to join the military...

jmdrake
08-12-2012, 05:51 AM
What we need to do is dump these social-cons. I'd be perfectly fine with the two major factions of the GOP being moderates and libertarians, but we need to ostracize these social-con theocrats to the outskirts of the party. Let them go third party, and bring libertarianism into the mainstream.

:rolleyes: That's your fantasy. The reality is the moderates are smart and will form alliances with the social cons and throw them enough red meat to keep them in line, then throw them under the bus when it suits them, then start the cycle all over again. You'll stay in a permanent minority. Thankfully Ron Paul has better sense. The way forward is to wherever possible let their agenda and the liberty agenda intersect, and then outflank them where it doesn't. This is why Ron Paul has been the perfect person to lead this movement. He's able to talk the language of both spheres.

jmdrake
08-12-2012, 07:08 AM
I don't agree with the content of the flier, but I do agree with the "dump Romney" tactic. Paul should be applying the same tactic using his own arguments. I was at least pleasantly surprised to see Ron take on Ryan. Now if he'll just come out that hard against Romney.

I think Benton was correct in his statement.

The manifesto is utterly disgusting and completely anti-Mormon.

The blatant lies and hatred of the LDS in their statements is almost frightening- have seen a lot of Mormon hatred that has seemed to have risen up with the anti-Muslim rhetoric.

It is not healthy and I certainly wouldn't want to be associated with this bullshit in Tampa- or anywhere else.

staerker
08-12-2012, 07:13 AM
You would think social conservatives would want to motivate homosexuals to join the military...

Nahh, they literally worship the military, and wouldn't want to 'defile' it in any way. I know. :rolleyes:

Brett85
08-12-2012, 07:35 AM

No, I'm longing for the day when the GOP is composed of conservatives and libertarians, and the moderates are kicked out. I agree with Jim Demint on that.

RickyJ
08-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Shut up Jessie.

Sometimes it is better to say nothing, or no comment, than to say the first thing that pops in your head. I honestly can't see how Jesse Benton has been anything but a hindrance to this campaign. I can definitely understand why people would think he is working for Romney instead of Paul.

RickyJ
08-12-2012, 09:55 AM
He speaks for the campaign.

But which campaign is he speaking for, Paul's or Romney's?

Looks like Romney's to me.

RickyJ
08-12-2012, 10:07 AM

Correct, there was no reason for Benton to comment on something unrelated to the campaign. He simply could have said we have nothing to do with that and know nothing about it and left it at that. There was no reason to give the people who do agree with the memo, and some people do agree with it, any reason to write off Ron Paul as an alternative to Romney. When trying to win an election you need all the votes you can get, even if they come from people whose beliefs you think are disgusting.

DamianTV
08-12-2012, 06:03 PM
I think its time we start a Dump Jesse Benton Group.