PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney Ever wonder why the Edison Research polls seemed biased to favor Mitt?

RonRules
08-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Look at the resume of their senior statistician:

Private
Senior Statistician at Edison Research

Summary
I currently work as the Senior Statistician at Edison Media Research working with CNN, ABC, CBS, NBS,FOX News, and AP to model and carry out the exit polls for news coverage on Election Night.
Previously I oversaw and developed statistical and analytical software for use in determining research outcomes. I have extensive experience with advanced statistical data models, multivariate analysis, cluster analysis, non-parametric statistics, categorical data analysis, small sample sizes, design of experiments, survey weighting, and stochastic processes.
I have worked on the Enterprise Data Warehouse analyzing large amounts of data in the health care industry including patient satisfaction surveys, employee scheduling analysis, and outcome analysis for the Women and Newborn department. Understanding and experience with proper graphical presentation of data.

I have extensive experience with relational databases, primarily Oracle and MySQL though I have done some web application development using MS SQL Server. I have designed and developed complex web and database applications to facilitate customer, client, and employee work flow. Developed custom onlin analytical software on very large databases (VLDB) containing an extremely high number of tuples for a variety of companies including Pandora Internet Radio and TargetSpot digital audio advertising. This included the use of Apache Hadoop and Apache Hive for data mining and machine learning.
I have built and developed numerous web applications using a variety of tools. The tools used for each project varies but have traditionally included HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, Perl, SQL, R, and LaTex.
Specialties Database administration, management, installation, optimization; sampling; multivariate analysis; geospatial analysis; web application development; census data analysis; health care analysis; information security management; marine and environmental statistics.
I'm comfortable analyzing data with any statistical software package. However, my expertise include the R Environment and SAS. I also have extensive expertise in the LAMP software solution stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP/Perl).

Experience
November 2006 - Present (5 years 10 months)
Responsible for statistical analysis, sampling, and models for Edison Research. Statistical analysis includes univariate and multivariate analysis; categorical analysis of data; dominance analysis, survey and sample design; probability sampling; and design of experiments. I consult, build, develop, and maintain analytical software to compute critical outcomes in real time on an easy to interpret web interface. I developed the statistical algorithm and implemented the custom online software to handle advanced survey weighting for Election Day exit poll analysis.

I oversee, consult and provide analysis prior to and on Election Day for exit poll data in the 50 states and the District of Columbia for the National Election Pool. I also provided the statistical analysis, exit poll sample design, sample selection, and exit poll setup for the 2010 T'bilisi Georgia Mayoral election and the 2012 Republic of Georgia Parliamentary election.
Have built and developed extensive custom databases and analytical software to analyze data, facilitate employee work flow and statistical analysis of field work. Have developed machine learning algorithms using Bayesian statistics, decision trees, random forests, hierarchical & partition clustering, and regression approaches.
Installed and manage the Linux operating systems, Apache web server and MySQL database servers. I have also developed analytical web applications using Microsoft SQL Server. I have installed and use Apache Hadoop and Hive to analyze extremely large datasets.
Responsible for managing, installing, and maintaining strict security, IDS/IPS, data backup, and power failure backup policies, and disaster recovery plan. I implemented policies to secure data using the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) and implementing TLS/SSL to secure data transfer.

Senior Statistician at Mitofsky International
February 2006 - November 2006 (10 months)
Responsible for statistical analysis, sampling, and models at Mitofsky International. Mitofsky International and Edison Media Research are the official exclusive exit poll source for Election Day information for the major news organizations in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Statistician at Intermountain Healthcare
July 2005 - May 2006 (11 months)
Statistical analyst for the the Enterprise Data Warehouse analyzing datasets from shift scheduling, Women & Newborns Department, patient satisfaction, and Employee Excellence Committee. Oversaw nurse scheduling and shift management analytics. Developed dynamic analytical reporting tools using SQL and Crystal Reports. Developed custom Excel reports and analytical dashboards that connected to an Oracle database warehouse. Presented graphs and presentations to other statistical colleagues.

Lead Developer at Independent Statistical Consulting
January 2003 - May 2006 (3 years 5 months)
Provided services ranging from statistical analysis and consulting to development analytical Web applications. Developed www.diningprovo.com and www.diningslc.com Web application for local restaurants where users could submit reviews and ratings of local restaurants (this was a type of Yelp before Yelp existed). After 2006 the domain names were not renewed and the sites discontinued. Also, provided independent consulting on pharmaceutical datasets.

Statistical Researcher & Consultant at Brigham Young University
May 2003 - May 2005 (2 years 1 month)
Hired by the Department of Statistics to be In charge of statistical analytics for the Utah Colleges Exit Poll during the 2003 Salt Lake City & County Mayoral Election, and 2004 Presidential General election.
Oversaw a team of graduate students to prepare and execute the Election Day exit poll. Responsible for and oversaw the Election Day decision making, survey weighting, sample design and selection, computer programming, and voter turnout models. I conducted research and developed the necessary software to determine the optimal number of phone room operators needed to handle the inbound phone calls on Election Day to record exit poll data.
I worked as a consultant in the BYU Department of Statistics Consulting Center and provided statistical analysis, counsel, and recommendations for a variety of projects and jobs including analysis of security related optical retina scanning and optimizing athletic training.

Web Developer & Database Administrator at Institute for the Study and Preservation of Ancient Religious Texts May 2002 - December 2004 (2 years 8 months)
Web developer and database administrator. Developed internal web applications and software to maintain customers. Developed the external web site including an online bookstore. Analyzed network usage in order to maintain an efficient server. Installed and maintained the LAMP software stack.
Developed operational and analytical dashboards and utilities to handle small to medium sized datasets and developed algorithms to analyze text content of published articles.

Lab Instructor at Brigham Young University
May 2002 - May 2003 (1 year 1 month)
Taught classes for courses that include survey sampling, research statistics, introductory statistics. Helped students develop custom online survey software to collect data.
Skills & Expertise
MySQL (Advanced, 10 years experience)
Multivariate statistics (Advanced, 7 years experience)
Graphical Design of Data (Advanced, 8 years experience)
Oracle (Intermediate, 3 years experience)
R (Expert, 10 years experience)
SPSS (Intermediate, 3 years experience)
Excel (Expert, 10 years experience)
Web applications development (Expert, 11 years experience)
SAS (Intermediate, 6 years experience)
Geostatistics (Advanced, 4 years experience)
Health Outcomes (Intermediate, 1 year experience)
Sampling (Expert, 10 years experience)
Exit Polling (Expert, 8 years experience)
Data Warehousing (Advanced, 6 years experience)
PHP (Advanced, 10 years experience)
Patient satisfaction (Intermediate, 3 years experience)
Statistics (Expert, 10 years experience)
Database administration (Expert, 10 years experience)
Census Data Analysis (Advanced, 5 years experience)
Linux (Advanced, 10 years experience)
Probability (Expert, 8 years experience)
Categorical Data Analysis (Expert, 6 years experience)
Survey Weighting (Expert, 4 years experience)
Information Security Management (Advanced, 5 years experience)
data analysis
SQL
Machine Learning
Cluster Analysis
Data Mining

Publications
A Logistic Regression Analysis of Utah Colleges Exit Poll Response Rates Using SAS Software
December 2006
Authors: Clint S.
Evaluation of the 2008 Exit Poll Design Effect
AAPOR Conference May 2010
A Spatial Analysis of Exit Poll Interviewers During the 2008 Presidential Election
AAPOR Conference May 2009
Can Polling Locations Influence Voting Behavior?
April 2011
Hispanic Voting Patterns in the 2008 Presidential Election: Evidence from National Election Pool Exit Polls
AAPOR Conference April 2010
Authors: René Bautista, Allan McCutcheon, Joe Lenski, Clint Stevenson
Questionnaire Experiments in 2008 Georgia Senate Run-off Exit Poll
Authors: Joe Lenski, Clint Stevenson, Allan McCutcheon, René Bautista
First-Time Voters in the 2008 Presidential Election
Authors: Allan McCutcheon, René Bautista, Joe Lenski, Clint Stevenson

Education
Ricks College 1996 - 2000
Brigham Young University
MS, Statistical Science, Sampling, 2004

Brigham Young University
Biostatistics, Zoology
Activities and Societies: Mu Sigma Rho
Certifications
Open Water Diver
PADI

RonRules
08-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Anybody find this important? I certainly did.