PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with local Republican party w/o going nuts?

Sematary
08-10-2012, 06:25 AM
I was sent an email by the local party head (a very nice, older gentleman) inquiring as to the possibility of donating to the campaign of one Sally White (29th district in Ct.) to help unseat Don Williams (the Democrat). She has a really cutesy slogan "Citizens for Prosperity". Well, I fired back an email and asked this gentleman what she stood for - such as, how did she feel about the NDAA and would she be willing to start a movement to repeal the REAL ID act in Ct. - stuff like that. It's been three days since I received that email and no response to my inquiries on her stance on these subjects. So, I'm guessing that I won't be hearing from him on this again and he probably doesn't understand that I don't give a rats ass whether she wins or Don Williams win if neither one of them is willing to stand up for the Constitution and put the freedoms and liberties of their constituents ahead of party politics.

So how do people deal with this? I won't go along to get along. These are long entrenched Republicans of the old guard and I appear to be the only locally involved Ron Paul Republican (very small town). I won't have much luck making inroads against these folks or even simply influencing their concepts about what the Republican party should be but I want to and really have no idea how to begin.

torchbearer
08-10-2012, 06:28 AM
My next exectuve committee meeting will be held at a romney hq. i still haven't figured out how to handle that one either.

in truth- i want them to get the government THEY deserve.

Sematary
08-10-2012, 06:36 AM
This is one of the posts on her facebook page that I am awaiting (and probably till eternity will be) an answer on:

I'm just curious as to WHY Sally White is better than Don Williams. If she were a liberty candidate, I could understand, but if the entire agenda is based on the premise that somehow a single legislator can somehow overcome the party machinery and effect change in the economic arena, I don't see it happening and I don't see how swapping out the Democrat for the Republican will make a lick of difference. Of more importance to me (over economic policy) is constitutional policy. The REAL ID act is about set to go into effect and THAT is important. THAT needs to be repealed. The NDAA authorized the government to indefinitely detain Americans without charge and THAT needs to be stopped at the state level by empowering our local law enforcement to stop the feds from doing that to Ct. citizens. The federal government also has a history of arresting medical marijuana patients in other states as well as the legal operations which provide their medicine. Where does she stand on this. The feds also implemented a law that can set off a "domestic terrorist" charge if someone protests at a political rally where the secret service is present. ALL of these things and much more, are far more important to the future of America than state level economic legislation which (let's face it) is controlled by the corporations anyway. So where does she stand on these issues. What would she do to protect the constitutional rights of her constituents. THAT is what I want to know.

angelatc
08-10-2012, 07:38 AM
So how do people deal with this? I won't go along to get along. These are long entrenched Republicans of the old guard and I appear to be the only locally involved Ron Paul Republican (very small town). I won't have much luck making inroads against these folks or even simply influencing their concepts about what the Republican party should be but I want to and really have no idea how to begin.

Doesn't bother me a bit, usually. I have a couple of local candidates that I like and volunteer with. One is a local mayor, and one is a sitting state senator. I don't give money to the candidates that I don't like, I don't give money to the party, and I don't vote for the candidates that I don't like.

But our county leader is very nice, and even though she isn't a Ron Pauler she worked hard to make sure they and the TEA Party were welcome in the meetings and the party. She does a really good job.

Israel is the topic that makes me get up and walk away though. I am seriously baffled how that country managed to effectively brainwash the evangelicals. I mean, the Jews don't even vote Republican, but the local GOP would sacrifice America to save Israel. I wish we had those skills.

It took these people 20 years to grab hold of the party. If we can dethrone them in 10, it will take a heroic effort.

Having said that, my husband couldn't stand it. After 2 years, he didn't run for precinct delegate again, because for him, the people were insufferable.

erowe1
08-10-2012, 07:51 AM
See if there are any local candidates you can support and do something to help them.

Also, recognize that city and county office holders don't have much to do with a lot of the federal issues you care about.

Matt Collins
08-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Just show up, be friendly, bring lots of Ron Paul supporters who can get along with others. Try and get as many people elected to the ExComm and when they do stupid anti-liberty stuff, put your foot down. Follow Rand's example.

JK/SEA
08-10-2012, 08:51 AM
See if there are any local candidates you can support and do something to help them.

Also, recognize that city and county office holders don't have much to do with a lot of the federal issues you care about.

True enough, however, you can use Federal issues as a litmus test to determine if a 'local' is Liberty minded and go forth accordingly.

have fun...

tsai3904
08-10-2012, 09:34 AM
I won't have much luck making inroads against these folks or even simply influencing their concepts about what the Republican party should be but I want to and really have no idea how to begin.

If you really want to change their minds, you need to understand how persuasion works. People don't respond well to confrontation and don't like to be told that they're wrong. Find areas where you do agree and talk about that. Gain the trust of the other person and it will be MUCH easier to convince them on issues where there are disagreements.

You can't expect to go into a Republican party meeting and convince everyone to end foreign aid to Israel in one day. These people have long held beliefs and it will take time to get them to change their mind. If you are willing to do it, then you have to be patient and don't lead off with areas where you disagree.

In areas where you do agree, you can point out the hypocrisy of the Republicans in charge without making it obvious. For example, when talking about the debt situation, everyone will agree that it's out of control. Then you can talk about how we need a 5 year balanced budget like what was supported by all Republicans in the Cut Cap and Balance pledge. Once the people you talk to agree, you can say how you don't understand why everyone supports Paul Ryan's budget when it doesn't balance for almost 30 years.

LibertyRevolution
08-11-2012, 12:06 AM
Sematary, I also tried my best to deal with my local republicans.. but its like talking to a wall.
I gave up.. the party is too far gone in this state..

I have officially switched back to the libertarian party and will vote the libertarian ticket.

I am considering choosing apathy and moving into the mountains in TN or WV..
I Just got back from a house scouting run in TN, and its gorgeous.
CT sucks and I want out!

sailingaway
08-11-2012, 12:32 AM
I'm subscribing to this thread. This is my biggest problem. How do you spend large quantities of time working with people who are interested in nothing you find compelling?

sailingaway
08-11-2012, 12:34 AM
If you really want to change their minds, you need to understand how persuasion works. People don't respond well to confrontation and don't like to be told that they're wrong. Find areas where you do agree and talk about that. Gain the trust of the other person and it will be MUCH easier to convince them on issues where there are disagreements.

You can't expect to go into a Republican party meeting and convince everyone to end foreign aid to Israel in one day. These people have long held beliefs and it will take time to get them to change their mind. If you are willing to do it, then you have to be patient and don't lead off with areas where you disagree.

In areas where you do agree, you can point out the hypocrisy of the Republicans in charge without making it obvious. For example, when talking about the debt situation, everyone will agree that it's out of control. Then you can talk about how we need a 5 year balanced budget like what was supported by all Republicans in the Cut Cap and Balance pledge. Once the people you talk to agree, you can say how you don't understand why everyone supports Paul Ryan's budget when it doesn't balance for almost 30 years.

NDAA and the Patriot act aren't Israel and foreign aid, though. I think they are very neutral subjects, partisanship wise. They are constitutional questions, for Pete's sake.

The constitution is supposed to be BASELINE to both parties and I have a really hard time pretending it isn't.

--

edit --

sorry. I guess that sulk belongs in the vent... :o

LibertyEagle
08-11-2012, 12:55 AM
NDAA and the Patriot act aren't Israel and foreign aid, though. I think they are very neutral subjects, partisanship wise. They are constitutional questions, for Pete's sake.

The constitution is supposed to be BASELINE to both parties and I have a really hard time pretending it isn't.

--

edit --

sorry. I guess that sulk belongs in the vent... :o

Except that the Patriot Act was put in place largely by Republicans, so it's probably not the best thing to try to join up with them on at the outset.

sailingaway
08-11-2012, 01:05 AM
Except that the Patriot Act was put in place largely by Republicans, so it's probably not the best thing to try to join up with them on at the outset.

Well, they need to get over it. A lot of Republicans are willing to accept that Bush wasn't REALLY a Republican(conservative), at least in California. But I'll work up to it.

kpitcher
08-11-2012, 01:14 AM
I just went through a contentious township primary. The township board hasn't had any challenges in decades and this is a very republican area, whomever gets the GOP will win the general. A recalled supervisor who was recalled last year was allowed to run again (Can run after 1 year). The people I helped didn't get dirty, the recalled side sent out blatant mis-information and outright lies. Guess who won? The old supervisor by 44 votes.

If anything I respect Ron more by him staying positive aand standing on principal and not stooping to their level. And he's done that for years. Seeing how dirty elections win makes it hard to ever want to play by the rules.

AJ Antimony
08-11-2012, 01:23 AM
I was sent an email by the local party head (a very nice, older gentleman) inquiring as to the possibility of donating to the campaign of one Sally White (29th district in Ct.) to help unseat Don Williams (the Democrat). She has a really cutesy slogan "Citizens for Prosperity". Well, I fired back an email and asked this gentleman what she stood for - such as, how did she feel about the NDAA and would she be willing to start a movement to repeal the REAL ID act in Ct. - stuff like that. It's been three days since I received that email and no response to my inquiries on her stance on these subjects. So, I'm guessing that I won't be hearing from him on this again and he probably doesn't understand that I don't give a rats ass whether she wins or Don Williams win if neither one of them is willing to stand up for the Constitution and put the freedoms and liberties of their constituents ahead of party politics.

I'm assuming CT has had its primary election... You have to understand that you are in one of the two major political parties. The goal of a political party is to run candidates for office. For your 29th district, Republicans (again, I assume) nominated a candidate: Sally White. Now the battle is set. Your party has a nominee and the Democrats have theirs. Your 'local party head' is doing nothing more than assuming that you, a Republican, want to support your party's nominee. In his view, and in the party's view, there is no reason not to support your party's nominee. Disagree with her? That's fine, but that's what the primary election was for. Your preferred candidate didn't win. Now, you can either help your party beat a Democrat, or you can't.

You only have two options.
Understand your situation. You are hilariously outnumbered. You aren't changing anyone's mind (very normal, and very expected). If you want long time, "old guard" Republicans to listen to you and change because of you, then you have to earn their trust and respect. Showing up as a 1 man show screaming your lungs out isn't going to help you. It will only motivate others to ignore you. Instead, try your best to help your party as a single person. Can you run the local party website? Can you boost fundraising totals? Can you manage local campaigns? Can you bring new people into the party?

Prove your worth and people will start listening to you. Think of it this way... there are basically only two things you can say to your fellow Republicans:
1. Follow my lead, then I will bring great benefits.
2. Follow my lead, or I will take my great benefits away.
Which one is more likely to generate a response?

Keith and stuff
08-11-2012, 01:56 AM
True enough, however, you can use Federal issues as a litmus test to determine if a 'local' is Liberty minded and go forth accordingly.

have fun...

I don't recommend taking any stands on federal issues at town and county meetings. No one there has any power when it comes to federal issues, their opinions don't matter. However, they may be able to influence town and county government. Heck, in some states, even state government. So where people stand on local and state issues matters.

Anyway, you don't have to go through the GOP. You can just find a close primary race b/t a pro-liberty person and an anti-liberty person. Door knock and make calls for the pro-liberty person several times. Stay in touch. If he or she wins, email and call him or her with your opinions on a few upcoming votes during the legislative session.

Carson
08-11-2012, 02:03 AM
I think mine here locally are us...

and since I can't word that better I think I'll be going to bed.

GunnyFreedom
08-11-2012, 04:12 AM
Most of the Tea around here are becoming rabid antipatriot act, and I chide them that we let the Feds take on the War on Drugs because we like that, but then the same intrastate commerce misappropriation has led to ObamaCare, and they get that.

The local Tea is waking up like wildfire. In my experience. Embracing the whole Constitution, not just those bits they like.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
08-11-2012, 05:45 AM
Sematary, I also tried my best to deal with my local republicans.. but its like talking to a wall.
I gave up.. the party is too far gone in this state..

I have officially switched back to the libertarian party and will vote the libertarian ticket.

I am considering choosing apathy and moving into the mountains in TN or WV..
I Just got back from a house scouting run in TN, and its gorgeous.

That's not apathy. That's a plan.

AuH20
08-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Most of the Tea around here are becoming rabid antipatriot act, and I chide them that we let the Feds take on the War on Drugs because we like that, but then the same intrastate commerce misappropriation has led to ObamaCare, and they get that.

The local Tea is waking up like wildfire. In my experience. Embracing the whole Constitution, not just those bits they like.

They are boiling the frog too fast.

angelatc
08-11-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm subscribing to this thread. This is my biggest problem. How do you spend large quantities of time working with people who are interested in nothing you find compelling?

I find that we share quite a lot of common ground on a local level. All three factions worked locally to defeat a local initiative that would have taxed property owners to spiff up the library. (And when I say spiff up, I mean waste a ton of money on useless architectural and cosmetic vanity items.) We often go to battle against the local school boards. The GOP allows our candidates to use their resources, and has been very supportive of the efforts of those that run locally.

Keep your enemies closer....that sort of describes the relationship.

My biggest frustration is that the Ron Paul people won't show up. Mt precinct has an empty delegate slot. If it were to be filled by a Ron Paul Republican, we would have the majority in this district.

sailingaway
08-11-2012, 09:52 AM
I find that we share quite a lot of common ground on a local level. All three factions worked locally to defeat a local initiative that would have taxed property owners to spiff up the library. (And when I say spiff up, I mean waste a ton of money on useless architectural and cosmetic vanity items.) We often go to battle against the local school boards. The GOP allows our candidates to use their resources, and has been very supportive of the efforts of those that run locally.

Keep your enemies closer....that sort of describes the relationship.

My biggest frustration is that the Ron Paul people won't show up. Mt precinct has an empty delegate slot. If it were to be filled by a Ron Paul Republican, we would have the majority in this district.

I guess that is what I need to do, find a local issue I am interested in and can champion, so I have some internal reason to be there.

--
edit -
HA! City council just passed an ordinance against plastic bags that is really a 10 cent per bag tax. It is trivial, but it pisses me off. Maybe that will do.

Aratus
08-11-2012, 12:52 PM
i'm a yankee baystater
just gotta luv the header