PDA

View Full Version : Can You Handle The Chance That We Might End Up With President Romney?

trey4sports
08-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Look, i really believe that BO is going to win in November but ya know he is an unpopular president whos facing a very slick political rival. There is a very good chance we could end up with President Romney.

So obviously the plan is that if BO wins we start prepping for Rand Paul 2016.

However, what is our plan in Mitt wins in '12? Are we going to try and just focus on Congress, and electing the folks we believe in and trying to push legislation that is liberty friendly? Or do we work on trying to get an independent/democratic candidate in line for '16?

matt0611
08-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Romney won't win IMO, its 4 more years of BHO, its for the best really. If Romney wins it will mean at least 8 more years until we can get a decent President instead of 4.

NIU Students for Liberty
08-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Before people start jumping on Rand's bandwagon, they should wait a few more years to see if he puts fourth a consistent record in the senate (especially foreign policy).

asurfaholic
08-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Look, i really believe that BO is going to win in November but ya know he is an unpopular president whos facing a very slick political rival. There is a very good chance we could end up with President Romney.

So obviously the plan is that if BO wins we start prepping for Rand Paul 2016.

However, what is our plan in Mitt wins in '12? Are we going to try and just focus on Congress, and electing the folks we believe in and trying to push legislation that is liberty friendly? Or do we work on trying to get an independent/democratic candidate in line for '16?
Trying to get a independent or democrat would be more of a waste of resources than is necessary. We should primarily ficus on house and senate races, as well as local activism to remind voters that Romney is no different than Obama. I am still an apprentice to the liberty movement but I try to vocalize what I know to those willing to listen. Keeping this up ,and learning as much as i can,is my personal goal.

Origanalist
08-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Why wouldn't I? I have already handled 8 years of George Bush, the repubs nominating John McCain and going on 4 years of Obama.

What's another deep disapointment?

cindy25
08-08-2012, 08:28 PM
why is everyone assuming Rand will run in 2016? his senate seat is up, and unlike a house seat it would be impossible to run for president and senator at the same time.

and why would Rand do any better in Iowa than Ron did? Santorum or Huck or whoever is Romney's VP choice will be there.

I really think the GOP is impossible.

pcosmar
08-08-2012, 08:37 PM
They will win the war with Iran in 3 weeks max. :rolleyes:

Then every thing will be rosy rainbows.

or not.

trey4sports
08-08-2012, 08:41 PM
why is everyone assuming Rand will run in 2016? his senate seat is up, and unlike a house seat it would be impossible to run for president and senator at the same time.

and why would Rand do any better in Iowa than Ron did? Santorum or Huck or whoever is Romney's VP choice will be there.

because he has said many times he wants to be in the national conversation. Rand has subtly let people know that he will be running in 2016 if the opportunity presents itself.

ZENemy
08-08-2012, 08:41 PM
I really...don't....think....it....matters

Whichever one wins, we the people, lose.

anaconda
08-08-2012, 08:46 PM
There is a very good chance we could end up with President Romney.

I understand Mittens has raised more $$$ than Soetoro for three months straight now. There is concern at MoveOn.org that Mittens will outspend Soetoro by 2:1. This seems very significant to me, and a big turnabout from the narrative from a few months back, when Soetoro was supposed to crush Mittens in fund raising.

thoughtomator
08-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Romney, Obama, what's the difference?

ZENemy
08-08-2012, 08:50 PM

Well, 0bama smokes cigarettes and R0mney does not.

ronpaulfollower999
Four more years of another statist POS…who really cares anymore?

anaconda
I really...don't....think....it....matters

Whichever one wins, we the people, lose.

Makes Rand Paul's game strategy quite different I would imagine. There are some that think Rand will actually have a better chance in 2016 if Mittens wins in 2012, by making an intraparty hostile challenge to the incumbent. Whether it's Obama or Romney from 2013 to Jan. 2017, either will likely have miserable approval ratings by 2016.

Drex
08-08-2012, 08:51 PM
I can't wait till Rmoney loses, maybe those Neo-cons will realize that Bush, McCan't and Rmoney aren't good

trey4sports
08-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Makes Rand Paul's game strategy quite different I would imagine. There are some think Rand will actually have a better chance in 2016 if Mittens wins in 2012, by making an intraparty hostile challenge to the incumbent. Whether it's Obama or Romney from 2013 to Jan. 2017, either will likely have miserable approval ratings by 2016.

yeah, exactly.

Jesus Christ people it makes a big difference as to how we play the game. Ya know why we dont get shit done? Because you just fuckin' say "ohh, yeah, doesn't matter." Yeah, it makes a big difference as to how we work to get things done!!!

ZENemy
08-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Makes Rand Paul's game strategy quite different I would imagine. There are some think Rand will actually have a better chance in 2016 if Mittens wins in 2012, by making an intraparty hostile challenge to the incumbent. Whether it's Obama or Romney from 2013 to Jan. 2017, either will likely have miserable approval ratings by 2016.

Perhaps.

Sounds like more polished-tricks to me, but here's hoping.

Personally I think an E.O will be signed that will put O' in a position that would keep him at his post.

ZENemy
08-08-2012, 08:56 PM
yeah, exactly.

Jesus Christ people it makes a big difference as to how we play the game. Ya know why we dont get shit done? Because you just fuckin' say "ohh, yeah, doesn't matter." Yeah, it makes a big difference as to how we work to get things done!!!

Really? THAT'S why we don't get shit done? Its not because of big money, big government, establishment only, 2 party system or fuck you bullshit? In 30 years Ron Paul didnt get anything done because he didn't know how to "work" the system? Or is it because 99% of those around him were scumbags?

It makes a difference how we play that game? Im waiting for those differences and those changes. How longs it been? 200 years now?

AuH20
08-08-2012, 08:58 PM
If Rand can integrate Pat Buchanan's wildly successful populist based America First platform into his own, he can beat anyone in 2016. America is going to be angry and coming off a severe Obama hangover. The whole GOP field headed into 2016 is bland and uninteresting. Rubio is the only true threat because of his appealing appearance and his ethnicity, but he is incredibly vulnerable like Perry for being a phony. Rubio's fundamental problem is that his actions don't meet his rhetoric. I'm confident over the long haul, Rand is one to beat.

trey4sports
08-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Really? THAT'S why we don't get shit done? Its not because of big money, big government, establishment only, 2 party system or fuck you bullshit? In 30 years Ron Paul didnt get anything done because he didn't know how to "work" the system? Or is it because 99% of those around him were scumbags?

It makes a difference how we play that game? Im waiting for those differences and those changes. How longs it been? 200 years now?

yes, we don't get shit done because everyone sits in a fucking libertarian circle-jerk and debates mindless differences.

Then, when it comes time to actually plan out our next moves no one can do jack shit besides say "it doesn't even matter." Instead, they would prefer to conjure up delusions that somehow, someway, no planning will help or that a mythical 100% libertarian will ride in on a white horse and convert every neocon into a libertarian.

pcosmar
08-08-2012, 09:02 PM
either will likely have miserable approval ratings by 2016.

What makes anyone believe they will be asking approval in 2016?

trey4sports
08-08-2012, 09:03 PM

really? We have elected the most libertarian leaning senator in the last 50 years and even 3 or 4 pretty hardline libertarian US Reps in the last 5 years and you don't see a difference...?

AuH20
yes, we don't get shit done because everyone sits in a fucking libertarian circle-jerk and debates mindless differences.

Then, when it comes time to actually plan out our next moves no one can do jack shit besides say "it doesn't even matter." Instead, they would prefer to conjure up delusions that somehow, someway, no planning will help or that a mythical 100% libertarian will ride in on a white horse and convert every neocon into a libertarian.

It's called circular based theorycraft and the professional libertarians are paralyzed by it. Rand Paul is going to be rounding third base, before they collectively come to a consensus on the color of the drapes. :)

Aratus
if we bolt and go 3rd party or "indy" we may
only simply be re-electing our sitting POTUS

Ender
08-08-2012, 09:04 PM

2nd verse, same as the 1st.

ZENemy
08-08-2012, 09:05 PM

Ok, I can agree with that.

On the flip side...

There are so many INCREDIBLY hard working people in this movement, I have 100 channels on youtube, all these guys do is eat/sleep/breath ron paul even up till this point right now. I have never, EVER seen such hard working people even in the face of absolute oppression of our ideas and theory's. The only signs Ive ever seen were Ron Paul signs. The only rally that had 5000 people was Ron Pauls. There are tons of hard workers in this movement, I do NOT believe that the grassroots movement is the problem, its the already, in place two party jerk off station.

cindy25
08-08-2012, 09:19 PM

Congressional Republicans grow a backbone with President Obama (Congressional Dems never have backbone i.e Patriot Act)

cindy25
08-08-2012, 09:20 PM

but it could stop the GOP from nominating RINOs

Bastiat's The Law
08-08-2012, 09:22 PM

Why do you think Thomas Massie winning was so critical. Massie could be the heir to Rand's Senate seat in 2016. We'll need a liberty candidate to step up to fill Massie's House seat, but these are good problems to have. Our people are climbing the ladder.

pcosmar
08-08-2012, 09:34 PM

So..??
What is the difference?

Romney will do everything Obama has done,, and worse.

Well,,Obama has been hesitant on attacking Iran.. Romney will jump at the chance.

pcosmar
08-08-2012, 09:36 PM
2nd verse, same as the 1st.

A little bit louder, a little bit worse.

Bastiat's The Law
08-08-2012, 09:36 PM
If Rand can integrate Pat Buchanan's wildly successful populist based America First platform into his own, he can beat anyone in 2016. America is going to be angry and coming off a severe Obama hangover. The whole GOP field headed into 2016 is bland and uninteresting. Rubio is the only true threat because of his appealing appearance and his ethnicity, but he is incredibly vulnerable like Perry for being a phony. Rubio's fundamental problem is that his actions don't meet his rhetoric. I'm confident over the long haul, Rand is one to beat.
Buchanan is an interesting figure and connected well with evangelicals, but he was also a staunch protectionist on trade. That's a night and day difference with the Pauls. I agree that America will have a bad Obama hangover especially republicans, they will be even more open to a conservative alternative than ever before. Have you heard Rubio speak? The dude is a light weight intellectually and hasn't been at the forefront fighting for smaller government...Rand Paul will eat him for breakfast. I know Fox News and other outlets fawn over Rubio, like he's this conservative messiah, but there's little substance there and even less of a record. I can't really see anybody in the field that can stand up to Rand intellectually, campaign style, charisma, conservative bona-fides, and experience (health care). Rand's only "weakness" might be foreign policy experience. Maybe we could find a VP with military experience.

I agree with you that Rubio will be exposed like Perry in any debate with Rand. The emperor has no clothes.

Bastiat's The Law
08-08-2012, 09:41 PM

At some point the rubber has to meet the road. I'm glad we're getting away from theoretical libertarian circle jerks and actually running our candidates in the GOP and WINNING!

http://cmsimg.detnews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C3&Date=20120808&Category=POLITICS01&ArtNo=208080367&Ref=AR&Profile=1409&MaxW=640&Border=0

Bastiat's The Law
08-08-2012, 09:49 PM
We'd also be going the way of every defunct third party movement. We've seen that play out with the Reform party and others. Remember, the debates are what put Ron Paul on the map, especially his clash with Rudy Giuliani. Those moments aren't possible in third parties because you're not invited to nationally televised debates, you end hosting yours at the local Olive Garden. Political Antarctica.

AuH20
08-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Buchanan is an interesting figure and connected well with evangelicals, but he was also a staunch protectionist on trade. That's a night and day difference with the Pauls. I agree that America will have a bad Obama hangover especially republicans, they will be even more open to a conservative alternative than ever before. Have you heard Rubio speak? The dude is a light weight intellectually and hasn't been at the forefront fighting for smaller government...Rand Paul will eat him for breakfast. I know Fox News and other outlets fawn over Rubio, like he's this conservative messiah, but there's little substance there and even less of a record. I can't really see anybody in the field that can stand up to Rand intellectually, campaign style, charisma, conservative bona-fides, and experience (health care). Rand's only "weakness" might be foreign policy experience. Maybe we could find a VP with military experience.

I agree with you that Rubio will be exposed like Perry in any debate with Rand. The emperor has no clothes.

Buchanan struck a chord with the disenfranchised middle class, especially those in Middle America who are consistently maligned by the elites on the coasts. He spoke truth to power in condemning them for their power-hungry schemes in such a bombastic fashion. Rand doesn't have to be as fiery as Pat but he needs to carry that timeless message to the masses.

The contempt and anger is just boiling over in many states. These people pay for the welfare state, send their sons and daughters to die for whatever geopolitical flavor of the week and are continuously degraded as the "unsophisticated" scapegoats for the massive problems this country faces. It's time to strike back and proverbially kick down some doors. The people are waiting for the shepherd to coalesce around.

Bastiat's The Law
08-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Buchanan struck a chord with the disenfranchised middle class, especially those in Middle America who are consistently maligned by the elites on the coasts. He spoke truth to power in condemning them for their power-hungry schemes in such a bombastic fashion. Rand doesn't have to be as fiery as Pat but he needs to carry that timeless message to the masses.

The contempt and anger is just boiling over in many states. These people pay for the welfare state, send their sons and daughters to die for whatever geopolitical flavor of the week and are continuously degraded as the "unsophisticated" scapegoats for the massive problems this country faces. It's time to strike back and proverbially kick down some doors. The people are waiting for the shepherd to coalesce around.
I agree with that. I think Rand's style and personal charm will win over the majority of republicans and even independents.

MelissaCato
08-08-2012, 10:53 PM
NO !!! Ron Paul 2012 !!!

mczerone
08-08-2012, 11:14 PM
really? We have elected the most libertarian leaning senator in the last 50 years and even 3 or 4 pretty hardline libertarian US Reps in the last 5 years and you don't see a difference...?

Not to diminish the great successes of these reps, but it hasn't really made a difference. How many house votes have come down to a difference of 1-5 votes? How many pieces of legislation have been passed/blocked because there are suddenly 1.75% of legislators voting with a liberty and/or strict constitutionalism stance instead of .25%?

We're definitely seeing changes on the margins, but marginal changes don't matter to the outcomes in the congressional system.

anaconda
08-09-2012, 12:50 AM

I hear you...assuming the poll companies are still operating..

anaconda
08-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Massie could be the heir to Rand's Senate seat in 2016.

Good thinking. I had not thought of this.

anaconda
08-09-2012, 12:59 AM
America will have a bad Obama hangover especially republicans, they will be even more open to a conservative alternative than ever before.

If Mittens is president he will also cause a bad hangover. Rand will be fighting for four years to make Mittens and himself seem like night and day. Rand's whole spin will be that there wasn't a dime's worth of difference between Obama and Mittens. He will launch headlong into this within a few months of Mittens inauguration, at the latest.

RickyJ
08-09-2012, 01:11 AM
I can handle the chance we will end up with a president Ron Paul, which is what I thought this thread was titled until I clicked on it.

Anyone else I could care less about. Obama, Romney, Gingrich, Clinton, Bush, it does not matter, they are all the same.

RickyJ
08-09-2012, 01:16 AM

I have no idea why anyone would think Rand would do even 1/10 as well as Ron has done. Rand is DOE, yet to many here he is their great hope for the future.

RickyJ
08-09-2012, 01:24 AM

Shoot what makes people think they ask for approval now, forget 2016.

GunnyFreedom
08-09-2012, 05:10 AM
I don't see why we can't encourage Ron Paul Democrats at the same time. I mean, God forbid the election come down to a Paul Republican vs a Paul Democrat right? I think it's more important than ever to somehow encourage or help inspire the growth of Pauler Democrats. Just like we correctly argue that the Paul Platform is basically the origin of the Republican Party, they correctly argue that the Paul Platform is basically the origin of the Democratic Party. And they are right. Thomas Jefferson is considered the origin of the Democratic Party, and our platform can be lifted directly from his whole body of work.

So if we get Republican Originalists and Democratic Originalists working together and sometimes facing each other in General elections, then who loses really? Only the establishmentarian power brokers as I can see. So do both.

If Romney wins in 2012, there will be sick potential for the growth of strict-construction Constitutionalists in the Democratic party, in regions where such philosophies are still compatible with (or invisible to) local party organisations.

We could potentially see massive growth in Originalist Democrats resulting in electoral victories (already starting actually) in 2014 and 2016. If we double-down and make it clear that the majority of Republicans still winning office in the off-years are also American Originalist (Just like the majority of new Dem victories 2014 and 2016 [wishful thinking]) then 2018 and 2020 the mad rush between the parties to produce 'the best Constitutionalist" is on.

tl;dr - If President Romney is elected, then stand fast and hold the ground we've gained. Encourage Pauler Democrats at every level. The same platform is the origin of both parties, so conceivably if we can create a general 'mad rush' back to the platform, then we can pit the parties against each other as to who will provide that the best.