PDA

View Full Version : Chick-fil-A: City Architectural Board Abstains From Voting for "Personal" Reasons

dannno
08-08-2012, 04:05 PM
:rolleyes:

http://www.independent.com/news/2012/aug/08/chick-fil-debate-santa-barbara-style/

Chick-fil-A Debate Santa Barbara Style

Architectural Board of Review Majority Abstains From Voting for Personal and Political Reasons

Originally published 12:00 a.m., August 8, 2012
Updated 10:00 a.m., August 8, 2012
By Ethan Stewart

The war of words and morally informed eating habits that have raged across the country since Chick-fil-A head honcho Dan Cathy announced his decidedly anti-gay marriage opinions came to roost in Santa Barbara this week.

The controversial, poultry-powered fast-food chain has been in the city planning approval process for months now as it prepares to move into the once-upon-a-time Burger King on the 3700 block of State Street. The project received approval from the Architectural Board of Review (ABR) last year, but this week, with the plan returning for final sign-off on some late-hour landscaping tweaks, the board majority, for what appeared to be political reasons stemming from the gay-marriage flap, opted to abstain from voting on Monday.

That effectively prevented the project from getting, at least for the time being, some of the necessary building permits it needs to move forward. After some awkward silence and refusing of urges from staff to take a vote on the revisions, the board voted 5-0 to table the topic for two weeks.

Last month, when the same landscaping and patio changes were before the all-volunteer board, members Gary Mosel and Keith Rivera opted to abstain from the vote, but the changes eventually moved ahead after a post-meeting consent was granted by the board’s Vice-Chair Paul Zink.

This time around, with the item on the board’s Consent Agenda for a final procedural approval, the duo again chose to abstain and were joined by fellow members Kirk Gradin, Chris Gilliland, and Stephanie Poole for a variety of reasons. Board Chair Dawn Sherry and Zink were absent. Explaining his decision to withhold a vote on the project, Mosel said from the dais, “For political reasons, I cannot vote on that.”

In the wake of the non-vote, City Councilmember Cathy Murillo, who, along with her fellow councilmembers, will eventually rule on any possible appeals stemming from the ABR’s final vote, said City Hall has already received a large volume of calls and emails both supporting and opposing the ABR’s decision to make no decision at all.

[UPDATE, 10:00 a.m.]: In the wake of the non-vote, Santa Barbara Mayor Helene Schneider addressed the issue in an open letter to the community on Tuesday evening. Explaining first that she too does not agree with the views of Chick-fil-A’s CEO, Schneider took exception with the politicizing of an otherwise non-political process.

“The City’s approval process about Chick-fil-A’s building application is not about gay marriage, it’s about the design of a building, and the approval of the project should be based on those merits alone,” wrote the mayor, later adding, “I would hope that the project would be approved or denied based not on personal, religious, or political beliefs, but on the merits of the application.”

To that end, City Planner Bettie Weiss informed ABR members late Tuesday that, despite their abstention, city staff issued an after-the-fact administrative approval of the landscaping and patio tweaks, thus allowing building permits to go forward.

Edit: UPDATE!!

It's been open for over two weeks and the line for the drive-thru is still backing up onto State Street.

Two weeks after its grand opening on outer State Street, Chick-fil-A is still experiencing such intense interest that it’s causing drive-through customers to back up on State Street and trigger complaints from neighborhood residents. Santa Barbara police were initially wary that such concerns might be politically motivated — Chick-fil-A’s anti-gay corporate philanthropy generated considerable media attention and political opposition — but upon investigation concluded the problems were real. As a result, City Hall will be posting three new signs along State Street warning motorized customers not to block the right-hand lane. Drive-ins are against city ordinance and can no longer be approved, but Chik-fil-A took over one of the last approved drive-ins in the city from the now-defunct Burger King.

http://www.independent.com/news/2013/feb/19/chick-fil-drive-through-posing-problems/

dannno
08-08-2012, 04:07 PM
The Mayor may have a penchant for unions, but I still really like her.

“The City’s approval process about Chick-fil-A’s building application is not about gay marriage, it’s about the design of a building, and the approval of the project should be based on those merits alone,” wrote the mayor, later adding, “I would hope that the project would be approved or denied based not on personal, religious, or political beliefs, but on the merits of the application.”

dannno
08-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Wow, most of the initial comments are telling the board to resign.

roho76
08-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Fuck yeah. I love seeing these libtards get their collective asses handed to them. First their failed protest, then the drive through guy getting shit canned, now this.

Ha Ha!!

asurfaholic
08-08-2012, 04:12 PM
There is nothing controversial about Chick-fila.. Here the media goes - AGAIN - trying to shape public perception by placing these little words in the script. Such a small addition to otherwise reporting facts changes it from unbiased journalism to biased propaganda.

dannno
08-08-2012, 04:16 PM
There is nothing controversial about Chick-fila.. Here the media goes - AGAIN - trying to shape public perception by placing these little words in the script. Such a small addition to otherwise reporting facts changes it from unbiased journalism to biased propaganda.

I've actually met and toked with the author of this particular piece.

asurfaholic
08-08-2012, 04:22 PM

:cool:

my point still stands. the chain isnt controversial. What the man said could be considered that, but serving chicken samwiches is not.

Danke
08-08-2012, 05:43 PM

Is there anyone in your locale that you haven't toked with?

dannno
08-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Is there anyone in your locale that you haven't toked with?

I would imagine so :D

matt0611
08-08-2012, 06:46 PM
:cool:

my point still stands. the chain isnt controversial. What the man said could be considered that, but serving chicken samwiches is not.

Yep, the President of Chick-fil-a holds the same view of marriage that every President of the US held including Obama (up to just a few months ago). It's really not controversial.

Progressives are always in need of a moral crusade. Always. Weather it be outrage over racist "hate" (trayvon martin), the phony "war on women", class warfare (99% bullcrap), the supposed "hate" of chick-fil-a's President for having a Christian view of marriage (that even Obama held), crusading against the right to own firearms etc

Its straight out of the progressive playbook.

Origanalist
08-08-2012, 08:24 PM
I would imagine so :D

There's always some that surprise you.

dannno
08-09-2012, 11:17 AM
bump

specsaregood
08-09-2012, 11:28 AM

I don't know the author; but you think they would appreciate somebody openly talking about their drug use on a public forum?

dannno
08-09-2012, 11:57 AM
I don't know the author; but you think they would appreciate somebody openly talking about their drug use on a public forum?

It was medicinal.

specsaregood
08-09-2012, 12:08 PM
It was medicinal.

Even worse. i wouldn't want somebody discussing my medical issues on a public forum. just saying.

dannno
08-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Even worse. i wouldn't want somebody discussing my medical issues on a public forum. just saying.

I didn't say what it was for.

If it makes you feel better, though, he has spoken about his medical condition in detail in public forums and discussed the value of mmj in his own life.

V-rod
08-10-2012, 04:21 AM
I don't get how the lefties have a big grin on their face about Hope and Change, while their President, the ELECTED Commander-in-Chief, declared he supported the Man-and-wife definition of marriage, yet people get up in arms, and enraged when a PRIVATE business owner donates money to an anti-gay marriage organization.

You would think that the Chik Fil A CEO was funding the defense fund of the men who murdered Matthew Shepherd.

It boggles my mind. Someone please help me make sense of their way of thinking.

dannno
02-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Update:

Two weeks after its grand opening on outer State Street, Chick-fil-A is still experiencing such intense interest that it’s causing drive-through customers to back up on State Street and trigger complaints from neighborhood residents. Santa Barbara police were initially wary that such concerns might be politically motivated — Chick-fil-A’s anti-gay corporate philanthropy generated considerable media attention and political opposition — but upon investigation concluded the problems were real. As a result, City Hall will be posting three new signs along State Street warning motorized customers not to block the right-hand lane. Drive-ins are against city ordinance and can no longer be approved, but Chik-fil-A took over one of the last approved drive-ins in the city from the now-defunct Burger King.

http://www.independent.com/news/2013/feb/19/chick-fil-drive-through-posing-problems/

dannno
02-21-2013, 05:52 PM
bump

RM918
02-21-2013, 08:48 PM
Behold the power...of chicken.