PDA

View Full Version : Why Ron Paul won't get assigned speaking slot

tsai3904
08-07-2012, 06:35 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443517104577575561206053878.html?m od=googlenews_wsj

To read the full article, type this headline in google "Convention Role Set for Rand Paul, Not His Dad" and click on the wsj link.

An aide said that discussions are continuing about additional ways the party can acknowledge the congressman at its convention, although the campaign realizes Mr. Paul can't speak at the gathering because he still technically is a candidate for president.

I think there are three possibilities:

1. Ron Paul gets nominated and gets to give a speech.

2. Ron Paul does not get nominated and the RNC gives Ron a speaking slot they reserved for him in case #1 did not happen.

3. Ron Paul does not get nominated and the RNC does not allow Ron to speak.

Whatever happens, the RNC will not publicly announce Ron as a speaker because there's the chance Ron will get nominated. It doesn't make any sense for the RNC to see Ron get nominated and give a speech AND have him in another assigned speaking slot.

sailingaway
08-07-2012, 06:36 PM
'recognizing' any such thing is absurd.

Do they withdraw their challenges to his delegates so he speaks as nominee from the floor?

tsai3904
08-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Do they withdraw their challenges to his delegates so he speaks as nominee from the floor?

My assumption is that Ron will speak but it depends if it will be through the nomination process or through the RNC giving Ron a speaking slot.

Of course the RNC would rather give Ron a speaking slot than have him nominated but because there's the possibility Ron will get nominated, they're not going to publicly announce a speaking slot for Ron.

My point is that people shouldn't expect the RNC to announce a speaking role for Ron.

sailingaway
08-07-2012, 06:56 PM
There is nothing at all barring them from giving him a speaking slot just because he is a nominee candidate. are they planning to limit Romney to the 15 minute nomination speech? Somehow I doubt it. I bet he gets a longer, or another one, don't you?

rockandrollsouls
08-07-2012, 06:57 PM
God forbid Romney speaking for 15 minutes straight.

There is nothing at all barring them from giving him a speaking slot just because he is a nominee candidate. are they planning to limit Romney to the 15 minute nomination speech? Somehow I doubt it. I bet he gets a longer, or another one, don't you?

tsai3904
08-07-2012, 07:01 PM

You're probably right that there's nothing in their bylaws that prevents them from giving him a speaking slot. However, if I were running the RNC and there were two candidates still running, it doesn't make any sense to me to publicly announce an assigned speaking role for only one of the candidates. They're both still trying to win the nomination so why would you announce a speaking role for just one of them?

This doesn't mean that Ron won't speak. It just says that they won't pre-announce a speaking role because it's unclear if Ron will speak because he is nominated or if the RNC needs to give Ron a reserved spot.

Monotaur
08-07-2012, 07:06 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443517104577575561206053878.html?m od=googlenews_wsj

To read the full article, type this headline in google "Convention Role Set for Rand Paul, Not His Dad" and click on the wsj link.

I think there are three possibilities:

1. Ron Paul gets nominated and gets to give a speech.

2. Ron Paul does not get nominated and the RNC gives Ron a speaking slot they reserved for him in case #1 did not happen.

3. Ron Paul does not get nominated and the RNC does not allow Ron to speak.

Whatever happens, the RNC will not publicly announce Ron as a speaker because there's the chance Ron will get nominated. It doesn't make any sense for the RNC to see Ron get nominated and give a speech AND have him in another assigned speaking slot.

Wait, I'm confused. Since when did the RNC start following any set of rules? /sarcasm.

But seriously, thanks for posting this.

sailingaway
08-07-2012, 07:07 PM
In your vision I bet they still mark out when Romney speaks though, so it isn't like they are doing it to be fair.

Travlyr
08-07-2012, 07:18 PM
WHY would the GOP let anybody say "END THE FED" at their 2012 convention?

The FED is WAY TOO PROFITABLE for their leadership to cry "Uncle".

Sorry Ron Paul... you are just way too honest to be part of the Republican Party's Party.

Goldman Sachs To Fund Romney Over Obama (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-01/romney-sees-surge-in-wall-street-donations-as-obama-s-decline.html)

Close Ties to Goldman Enrich Romney’s Public and Private Lives (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/28/us/politics/close-ties-to-goldman-enrich-romneys-public-and-private-lives.html?_r=1)

Mitt Romney attracts big donations from financial industry, including Goldman Sachs and Bain (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/post/mitt-romney-attracts-big-donations-from-financial-industry-including-goldman-sachs-and-bain/2012/07/16/gJQAV4VPoW_blog.html)

GeorgiaAvenger
08-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Well, it doesn't really make sense to let someone speak who won't campaign for their nominee. But I do hope they let him.

NIU Students for Liberty
08-07-2012, 08:29 PM
God forbid Romney speaking for 15 minutes straight.

What the hell could Romney say for 15 minutes?

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-august-1-2012/no-country-for-bold-men

sailingaway
08-07-2012, 08:46 PM
What the hell could Romney say for 15 minutes?

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-august-1-2012/no-country-for-bold-men

I predict a universal bathroom break.

Travlyr
08-07-2012, 08:47 PM
I predict a universal bathroom break.

World Wide

AJ Antimony
08-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Soooo why can't Rand take the stage as planned, then instead of giving a speech as planned, introduce his father to give a speech instead?

Badger Paul
08-08-2012, 04:35 AM
"It doesn't make any sense for the RNC to see Ron get nominated and give a speech AND have him in another assigned speaking slot. "

Then it really comes down to what the Rules Committee says and if they screw us on Louisiana and Maine.

rockandrollsouls
08-08-2012, 02:57 PM
because rand's been biting his tongue so he'll have the establishment behind him when he runs for president in 2016. and by all accounts romney will be losing this election.

Soooo why can't Rand take the stage as planned, then instead of giving a speech as planned, introduce his father to give a speech instead?

Revolution9
08-08-2012, 03:09 PM
World Wide

I am constructing a vomitorium just for the occasion.

Rev9

WilliamA.JohnsonIA
08-08-2012, 04:20 PM
As a National Delegate I'm going for option #1. Time the world heard a voice of reason, instead of a voice of treason.

WilliamA.JohnsonIA
08-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Interesting idea.

torchbearer
08-08-2012, 04:22 PM
the campaign realizes Mr. Paul can't speak at the gathering because he still technically is a candidate for president.

that is the reason he should get a speaking spot you stupid fuck.

Liberty74
08-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Ron Paul is not going to get nominated and the RNC is not going to give him a speaking slot.

Ron Paul is a "registered" Republican yet doesn't agree with any major policy issues of the GOP. This baffles my mind why so many want to cling to the Republican Party. Sure, fight within at the local and state levels but to get a Ron Paul type of guy elected at the national level, hence Presidency, you have to go Indy. There is no way around it.

Liberty74
08-08-2012, 04:51 PM
because rand's been biting his tongue so he'll have the establishment behind him when he runs for president in 2016. and by all accounts romney will be losing this election.

The establishment is not going to get behind Rand in 2016. They did not support him in 2010.

This idea that Rand is biting his tongue and playing the game within the two party criminal system is delusional at best. Let me get this straight, he is going to act as a big government spending neocon and then after elected pop out of a box saying "gotcha suckers?" PLEASE!!!

Brett85
08-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Let me get this straight, he is going to act as a big government spending neocon and then after elected pop out of a box saying "gotcha suckers?" PLEASE!!!

Rand has never acted as a "big government spending neo-con." His voting record is almost exactly the same as Ron's.

liveandletlive
08-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Ron Paul is not going to get nominated and the RNC is not going to give him a speaking slot.

Ron Paul is a "registered" Republican yet doesn't agree with any major policy issues of the GOP. This baffles my mind why so many want to cling to the Republican Party. Sure, fight within at the local and state levels but to get a Ron Paul type of guy elected at the national level, hence Presidency, you have to go Indy. There is no way around it.

other than the foreign policy, monetary policy, drug policy, the constitution, privacy rights, internet freedom, social security...he's practically a Sean Hannity Republican lol

liveandletlive
08-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Rand has never acted as a "big government spending neo-con." His voting record is almost exactly the same as Ron's.

i agree, some of us are a little too hard on Rand Paul. i think the fallout would be lessened if his father just attacked Romney. but its almost like the entire Paul family are the Romneys are bossom buddies or something. They are too damn nice

AJ Antimony
08-08-2012, 11:52 PM
but to get a Ron Paul type of guy elected at the national level, hence Presidency, you have to go Indy. There is no way around it.

LOL! That's news to me! Because Independent presidential candidates often win, right? :rolleyes:

By the way, you do know U.S. Representative and U.S. Senator are federal offices, right? It turns out that multiple Ron Paul candidates are actually getting elected "at the national level" as Republicans. I've never seen a libertarian, truly Independent congressman before!

This baffles my mind why so many want to cling to the Republican Party.