PDA

View Full Version : Prominent CA Democrat Capps Chided for Hiding Over $40k of Income

dannno
08-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Rep. Lois Capps — whose campaign spends a lot of time talking about her opponent Abel Maldonado’s issues with the Internal Revenue Service — didn’t report more than $40,000 in income from a rental unit on her property until earlier this year, more than a decade after she first started to receive the revenue, and six years after her accountant publicly acknowledged the income.

http://media.independent.com/img/croppedphotos/2012/08/03/cappslead_t479.jpg?6626f76dcd72edc2e28f46812c70264 50162bdb2

http://www.independent.com/news/2012/aug/03/capps-chided-unreported-income/

Meh, whatever, I'd want to hide it too, but I don't act like everybody else wants to pay high taxes.

Then she sent me this in an e-mail this morning and it pissed me off enough to write up this thread.

Stopping the Growing Panga Boat Smuggling Problem

Recently, I convened a meeting with local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies, including Sherriff Bill Brown, the U.S. Coast Guard, Dept. of Homeland Security, and Customs and Border Patrol, to work on the problem of drug trafficking organizations smuggling drugs and undocumented immigrants into California by panga boats. Unfortunately, we’ve seen a significant increase in the use of small boats for smuggling in our area. We need to increase enforcement and investigative pressure on these illegal activities, and that’s why I’m working to ensure that federal agencies are providing local law enforcement the tools and resources they need to do their jobs and stop this growing problem.

dannno
08-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Makes me wanna get a Panga boat and fill it with bags full of Christmas tree branches, a few big reindeer dolls, dress like Santa and zip around the coast at night just to fuck with these people.

13 People Arrested in Panga Boat on Gaviota Coast

Federal Agents Seize 6,620 Pounds of Marijuana
Thursday, July 26, 2012
By Tyler Hayden

http://media.independent.com/img/croppedphotos/2012/07/26/IMG-20120726-00093_t479.jpg?6626f76dcd72edc2e28f46812c702645016 2bdb2

Santa Barbara’s panga problem isn’t going away anytime soon. And, based on an incident early Thursday morning and on a conversation with a Homeland Security special agent later in the day, it seems likely to get worse before the tides are turned.

At around 1:30 a.m., federal authorities arrested 13 individuals who landed their 35-foot panga boat under the cover of darkness on a remote stretch of sand between El Capitan Beach and Refugio Beach on the Gaviota Coast.

Taken into custody were 11 men and two male juveniles. Four are U.S. citizens, eight are Mexican nationals, and one is from El Salvador. Special Agent Dave Wales with Homeland Security Investigations said it’s likely there were other people on the boat who eluded capture. Also on board was 6,620 pounds of marijuana that was seized as evidence. The 13 suspects will be charged in federal court Friday, said Wales, explaining their identities won’t be released until then.

Wales said that authorities on a routine, anti-maritime smuggling patrol spotted the panga boat — a type of slender, open craft built for speed and maximum carrying capacity — when it was still offshore, then descended onto the beach when it made landfall. Assisting the state and federal law enforcement contingent, which included State Parks rangers and U.S. Border Patrol agents, were CHP officers and Santa Barbara Sheriff’s deputies.

This latest incident is part of a growing trend on the South Coast of panga boats launching from Baja California and brazenly smuggling people and pot onto Santa Barbara shores. The Gaviota Coast has proven an especially attractive site for landing because of its general remoteness but close proximity to major roadways, explained Wales. His office and others are actively working to track the drugs that make it onto U.S. soil. “We have a pretty good idea where it’s going when these events are successful,” he said. “We’re certainly working that angle.”

http://www.independent.com/news/2012/jul/26/13-people-arrested-panga-boat-gaviota-coast/

dannno
08-07-2012, 11:32 AM
bump

bolil
08-07-2012, 11:56 AM
If you embark, I will join you. Santa needs elves.

dannno
08-07-2012, 12:59 PM
If you embark, I will join you. Santa needs elves.

What color is your skin?

Green, I hope.

dannno
08-08-2012, 06:39 PM
bump

angelatc
08-08-2012, 06:55 PM
I don't fly. I'm in.