PDA

View Full Version : White House considering Executive Order for internet takeover

devil21
08-07-2012, 01:28 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-considers-executive-order-leaves-internet-takeover-041809292.html

The White House has left open the possibility of enacting its Internet agenda via executive order after the failed effort to bring the Democrat-supported cybersecurity bill to a full vote in the Senate last week.

In response to a question from The Hill, a Washington, D.C. political newspaper, about whether President Obama was considering advancing his party’s cyber-plan through an executive order, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney didn’t rule out the possibility.

“In the wake of Congressional inaction and Republican stall tactics, unfortunately, we will continue to be hamstrung by outdated and inadequate statutory authorities that the legislation would have fixed,” he said via email.

“Moving forward, the President is determined to do absolutely everything we can to better protect our nation against today’s cyber threats and we will do that,” added Carney.

moreatlink

That's just a damn ballsy response. Since that other branch of government can't do it, we'll consider doing it without them. Can't piss on the Constitution much more than that. The "everything he can" part is slick. What can he do?

RickyJ
08-07-2012, 02:00 AM
I think if they tried to take over the Internet now, all hell would break lose. The time for that was about 15 years ago, they are too late to stop it now even if they wanted to. Wireless networks linked together would keep the Internet alive without using any of their backbone connections. They can hurt the Internet, but not shut it down completely. It would be crazy for them to even try, the sheeple are already doing everything they want them to do, what are they concerned about?

pahs1994
08-07-2012, 02:08 AM
the sheeple are already doing everything they want them to do, what are they concerned about?

People like us. Without the internet we can bypass their constant brainwashing by the media. So without it the libertarian movement would not be what it is. And still growing

JK/SEA
08-07-2012, 09:10 AM
ban computers.

tod evans
08-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Unfettered information.....:eek:

Root
08-07-2012, 09:33 AM
I work for one of the largest ISP's in the US. I can tell you that we don't need more government to keep our private and public networks secure. We have a vested interest in keeping them secured already.

seraphson
08-07-2012, 10:45 AM
I work for one of the largest ISP's in the US. I can tell you that we don't need more government to keep our private and public networks secure. We have a vested interest in keeping them secured already.

You mean like when poverty was decreasing in the 70's we didn't need entitlement programs from the government to help? You mean like when they enacted the war on drugs to help once and for all eliminate all drug problems yet fail to show any significant reduction in drug trafficking thirty years later? You mean like when coincidentally after the .com bubble everyone was entitled to a home to achieve the American dream and so through government help we later exploded the largest housing bubble in our history? You mean like when we give many countries foreign aid to help each other fight one another? You mean like when government stepped in with the New Deal Era to provide comfortable retirement and later on under LBJ worry-free elderly healthcare with each having a currently combined unfunded liability of over $100 Trillion?

Pfft. You must be one of those "conspiracy" guys. You obviously can't see what all the help and good intentions our government provided has given us; of course nothing but good could come of government intervention on the Internet.

/sarcasm