PDA

View Full Version : Beverages and More (BevMo) does not want your business

Brian4Liberty
08-06-2012, 04:49 PM
To make a long story short, Beverages and More is essentially a large chain liquor store. When you purchase anything there, they ask to see your Driver's License, supposedly to verify your age (wrong, as they even do this to senior citizens). They will quickly swipe the card through a reader in front of them. What was that? So now they have all of your information, and they certainly did not ask your permission or issue a disclaimer that they were going to be taking your personal information. The person at the register will make up a story as to why it is required (and probably doesn't even know themselves). The following stories have been heard: "it's to verify age, no matter how old you appear", "it's a security precaution since 9/11 :rolleyes:", "it's to make sure you get credit on your Club account for your purchase." None of these are true though.

Taking your private information, especially with no disclaimer or warning, should probably be illegal. No doubt, it would be up to attorneys and a Judges to decide that in a Court of Law. In the meantime, a boycott is in order.

Let's be clear, if you do not allow them to scan your ID and take your personal information, they do not want your business. They will refuse to sell you a product and turn you away. Beverages and More (BevMo) does not want your business. It is more important to them to violate your privacy, track information about you, and make sure that you are conditioned to be a mindless sheep than to take your money.

It's an upside-down world when no ID is required when you are voting for President of the United States, yet you must have a computer scan and database check of your ID to make a purchase at a store. What's next? A DNA sample before you can buy potato chips? Maybe a TSA agent and a strip search before you can enter their store? Or maybe they will go out of business, as the free market dictates. All we can do is expedite that process.

Boycott BevMo!

torchbearer
08-06-2012, 04:50 PM
picket outside locations?

Brian4Liberty
08-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Lol, if you look at the picture of the gentleman writing this review of BevMo, you will know that this has nothing to do with verifying age.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bevmo-redwood-city#hrid:e5Gogse0HoFiC64Z-kvXUw

They regularly scan driver licenses electronically at the checkout. While the manager assured me that the scanner is only used to verify age, I did some research and found that the specific license scanner they are using can store internally up to 4,000 license records, which may (at the store's discretion) later be uploaded to a database on a computer or elsewhere.

In my opinion, scanning my license is a total invasion of my privacy. I'm willing to politely show my ID when requested (I'm more than twice the legal drinking age), and I have nothing to hide - but scanning it is just obnoxious and unnecessary. Perhaps the manager is right when he says they don't retain the records, but how are we to know for sure? And who's to say that policy won't change tomorrow? Big brother will continue to invade our privacy until we the public stand up and say enough is enough. You can look at my license - but no scanning. So I don't shop there any more - I'd rather give my business to someone that respects the customer.

Brian4Liberty
08-06-2012, 04:53 PM
picket outside locations?

Haven't seen that happen (yet).

jonhowe
08-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Reminds me of last year when I, 23, tried to buy some local beers while on vacation in maine. Went into the store, picked out some nice beers ($6-12 dollars EACH. CLEARLY not something I was just buying to get wasted), and went to check out. I was told that because my ID was out of state, they could not sell to me unless I was 25... even though the drinking age is 21. Absolutely ridiculous.

Also, a liquor store in NY told me the reason THEY scanned my card was because it wasn't from NY, so they had to "verify".

Deinonychus
08-06-2012, 05:02 PM
That's weird. They don't do that at our BevMo.

torchbearer
08-06-2012, 05:09 PM

interesting. if it is a franchise. one of the owners may be breaking with franchise policy.

jkr
08-06-2012, 05:11 PM
EVIDENCE

PaulConventionWV
08-06-2012, 05:22 PM
We had to do this at the 7-11 where I live and used to work, too. It was required by law that they present ID, but in a very few cases, we let it slip. We usually just scanned the license because it was easier, but if it wouldn't scan, as was often the case, we would just punch the birthdate of the person into the cash register manually to complete the sale.

I guess, if you really wanted to avoid it, you could somehow obscure your driver's license code to the point where it wouldn't scan and wouldn't look deliberate, and they would have to punch it in manually by actually looking at the card. However, perhaps you could just demand to have them read the card instead of scan it, and if they refuse, just take your business elsewhere.

cstarace
08-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Walmart has been doing this for years. Even for tobacco purchases.

Carson
08-06-2012, 06:01 PM
That reminds me of the story of the nose hair clipper that used to run ads everywhere back in the olden days.

It was a cheap item like some of the garbage they sell on television. We had a merchandizing teacher that told us they made more off of gathering your name and address than they did selling you the product. Not only did they have your name and address they had you pigeon holed into a demographic that made the list very valuable to other sales outfits.

I was still young then but I pitied those guys with the onions in their belts.

angelatc
08-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Can't you take a magnet to the back and muck it up?

My husband's cards are always too worn to scan.

Brian4Liberty
08-06-2012, 06:21 PM

You might not notice it. They try to be sly.

Brian4Liberty
08-06-2012, 06:22 PM
EVIDENCE

I am a first hand witness. You want me to take video for you next time?

Brian4Liberty
08-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Walmart has been doing this for years. Even for tobacco purchases.

Never noticed it there, not that I'm a regular customer. No one has a problem with that? Guess we are all well conditioned.

evilfunnystuff
08-06-2012, 06:54 PM
I was still young then but I pitied those guys with the onions in their belts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARXfQzfl9EQ

Brian4Liberty
08-06-2012, 06:57 PM
We had to do this at the 7-11 where I live and used to work, too. It was required by law that they present ID, but in a very few cases, we let it slip. We usually just scanned the license because it was easier, but if it wouldn't scan, as was often the case, we would just punch the birthdate of the person into the cash register manually to complete the sale.

Showing the ID is one thing. Swiping it through a reader is entirely another. I've seen many places where they look, and then punch in a date, usually not your actual B-date though. And if you look old enough, they just punch in some date without even asking.

However, perhaps you could just demand to have them read the card instead of scan it, and if they refuse, just take your business elsewhere.

Done and done. I showed them the ID, but refused to let them scan it. They said I couldn't buy.

Deinonychus
08-06-2012, 07:09 PM
You might not notice it. They try to be sly.

Well, unless they can somehow scan my ID while it's in my wallet, then I don't know about that.

specsaregood
08-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Lol, if you look at the picture of the gentleman writing this review of BevMo, you will know that this has nothing to do with verifying age.

If I was the owner of a business that sold such beverages I too would have a policy of "ID everybody, no matter what". It's a lot less expensive and risky than leaving it up to clerks to decide who to ID and who not to. Those fines add up, and losing your license would be even worse.

Brian4Liberty
08-06-2012, 07:23 PM
If I was the owner of a business that sold such beverages I too would have a policy of "ID everybody, no matter what". It's a lot less expensive and risky than leaving it up to clerks to decide who to ID and who not to. Those fines add up, and losing your license would be even worse.

Sure, but what you have is government laws resulting in businesses becoming government surveillance agents. And privacy is out the window. The road to hell, paved with good intentions. As the Gentleman in the Yelp review said, how do you know what is being stored? They must be pinging that off of a government (or government derived) database if you really want to ensure that an ID is valid.

So instead of E-verify just for new employees, we will have it at every point of sale (for starters) for everyone.

Brian4Liberty
08-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Well, unless they can somehow scan my ID while it's in my wallet, then I don't know about that.

Interesting. Not being enforced company-wide?

specsaregood
08-06-2012, 07:32 PM
They must be pinging that off of a government (or government derived) database if you really want to ensure that an ID is valid.

I don't think they are pinging any govt database; but rather just reading the information on the strip.

Kodaddy
08-06-2012, 07:51 PM
My Target store tried to swipe my ID for cough syrup. I politely declined, and the manager had to come over to complete the transaction. She said it was policy, but not necessary if the customer objected. She also said that she didn't blame me and that only a few other customers had declined to swipe their ID. Most people do it to save time in the checkout line.

Brian4Liberty
08-06-2012, 08:04 PM
I don't think they are pinging any govt database; but rather just reading the information on the strip.

Very likely at this point, but the technology exists, and the readers are in place. That new NSA data center would love to have a record of every single item you purchase, the location and the dollar amount. The IRS will no doubt find this information handy too.

Brian4Liberty
08-06-2012, 08:06 PM

And nothing to stop them from batching that up at the end of the day.

devil21
08-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Odd that a private business would be doing this first. Liquor stores here are all run by the state gov't but they don't scan IDs.

Victor Grey
08-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Just don't buy from them.

I would suspect they probably do it to see where their customers live and thus where they would best create a location for the business.

Then of course they could sell the information off to other people for whatever reason.

There could be a lot of foreseeable reasons to set up a system like that. Streamline it with stocking inventories for a particular store and region, demographic information.

The issue I don't like of it all is them scanning it without a request from the customer. To me it comes off as a form of fraud.

Of course then you have all the other issues that government brings in to the mix. Goverprivate companies, privacy intrusion, taxes and all the rest.

I'd find me another liquor store.

Nickels
08-06-2012, 08:49 PM
is there any proof they store the information? I'm glad you're not calling for government to intervene though ;)

cindy25
08-06-2012, 08:54 PM
I wonder if this is a govt requested test. I remember various banking practices which were implemented by Chase and Citibank long before they were law.

Deinonychus
08-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Interesting. Not being enforced company-wide?

Who knows? But, the last time I was there was a few months ago. So I don't know now.

Acala
08-06-2012, 09:01 PM
They need to know what beverages to stock at the FEMA camp you are going to .

Brian4Liberty
08-06-2012, 09:02 PM
is there any proof they store the information? I'm glad you're not calling for government to intervene though ;)

Government is part of the cause. ;)

As others have said, at a minimum there are a variety of business reasons for them to keep the information. It would be hard to imagine them not saving it.

Brian4Liberty
08-06-2012, 09:07 PM
I wonder if this is a govt requested test. I remember various banking practices which were implemented by Chase and Citibank long before they were law.

Good question. Tracking all sales is a wet dream of the surveillance State.

And all those people in the underground economy thought that cash only would keep them off the grid...only terrorists and drug dealers use cash, don't ya know?

Brian4Liberty
08-06-2012, 11:33 PM
From another thread. Being implemented and tested as we speak...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OhlQGaUduw&feature=player_detailpage

Reason
08-06-2012, 11:43 PM
I am pretty sure I might loose my god damn mind if I was in a BevMo at 11pm buying a bottle of vodka and some cashier told me they had to "swipe" my license due to 9/11.

Yup, pretty sure.

devil21
08-07-2012, 01:02 AM
^^^^
I heard that!

DamianTV
08-07-2012, 01:03 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Brian4Liberty again.

Call it a note to self.

PaulConventionWV
08-07-2012, 07:14 AM
Showing the ID is one thing. Swiping it through a reader is entirely another. I've seen many places where they look, and then punch in a date, usually not your actual B-date though. And if you look old enough, they just punch in some date without even asking.

Right. That's pretty much the modus operandi. I am well aware of the differences.

Done and done. I showed them the ID, but refused to let them scan it. They said I couldn't buy.

Bastards.

Brian4Liberty
08-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Had an interesting conversation with someone at Corporate. So yes, this is a corporate wide policy. No exceptions.... Then come the exceptions... If you are from a State where the ID doesn't have a scan strip, then they just look at the ID. So by extension, if you are not from this country, they can also sell with a manager OK.

Isn't this nice, another situation where foreigners have more "freedom" than citizens.

Zippyjuan
08-07-2012, 06:01 PM

It is not mandatory but the registers at my local grocery store can use the POS terminal to verify driver's licenses for proof of age. If they are making it mandatory at that store, they are worried about getting fined or possibly losing their license to sell alcohol (and tons of money) so they set up a plan to check everybody. They don't have access to any personal information- it is reading and checking info on the magnetic strip not accessing some government database.

ronpaulfollower999
08-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Winn Dixie did this to me when I bought a lotto ticket. I'm not sure whats so hard about reading a damn license and doing the math in your head.

Zippyjuan
08-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Helps catch fake IDs.

evilfunnystuff
08-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Helps catch fake IDs.

Which increases demand, thus suppy for high quality fakes that can fool the machines. These high quality fakes will then be used for things far more sinister than buying a 6-pack and some smokes.

Bosco Warden
08-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Helps catch fake IDs.

Zippy the pin head, is at it again.

Still fronting yourself off as a Paul supporter?.

Damn illegal's.

John F Kennedy III
08-07-2012, 11:46 PM
I've never even heard of that place.

specsaregood
08-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Damn illegal's.

I for one appreciate Zippy's presence here. He offers valuable rebuttle and alternate views of the standard echo chamber propaganda.

Zippyjuan
08-07-2012, 11:52 PM

Damn illegal's.
Had nothing to do with illegals. Not sure where you got that- unless you assume that everybody with a fake ID is an illegal. Was refering most commonly to underaged kids. You are again reading too much into what I said (not the first time).

specsaregood
08-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Had nothing to do with illegals. Not sure where you got that- unless you assume that everybody with a fake ID is an illegal. Was refering most commonly to underaged kids.

I bought my first fake ID from an illegal, I was underaged at the time. Alvarado street ftw.

Keith and stuff
08-08-2012, 12:36 AM
A DL reader cannot read my DL. Just make it so that your DL cannot be read. Then, the problem is solved for you.

Brian4Liberty
08-20-2012, 08:53 PM
A DL reader cannot read my DL. Just make it so that your DL cannot be read. Then, the problem is solved for you.

They would probably refuse to sell to an "unscannable".

Anti Federalist
08-20-2012, 10:54 PM
It is not mandatory but the registers at my local grocery store can use the POS terminal to verify driver's licenses for proof of age. If they are making it mandatory at that store, they are worried about getting fined or possibly losing their license to sell alcohol (and tons of money) so they set up a plan to check everybody. They don't have access to any personal information- it is reading and checking info on the magnetic strip not accessing some government database.

If your state is one of many that requires a SS number for DL, bet your ass it has personal information.

SS - DL - and DOB and I'll have everything you've ever done.

Anti Federalist
08-20-2012, 10:56 PM

And if it was visibly defaced, they'll call the cops.

Keith and stuff
08-20-2012, 11:21 PM

I don't know. I went to a gaming bar in DC and they scanned everyone's DLs when we entered. Mine didn't scan so it was read by eyes. Mine is visibly defaced in good lighting.

Weston White
08-20-2012, 11:45 PM
"Perhaps the manager is right when he says they don't retain the records, but how are we to know for sure?"

Which is because that data is instantaneously routed right into the databases of their third-party subsidiary being contracted by the state or federal government, who is the one doing all of the actual "retaining". :eek:

kiefer27
03-17-2015, 10:05 PM
Please like this and share. Only we the people can stop this!

https://www.facebook.com/nomobevmo

kpitcher
03-17-2015, 11:51 PM
Reminds me of last year when I, 23, tried to buy some local beers while on vacation in maine. Went into the store, picked out some nice beers ($6-12 dollars EACH. CLEARLY not something I was just buying to get wasted), and went to check out. I was told that because my ID was out of state, they could not sell to me unless I was 25... even though the drinking age is 21. Absolutely ridiculous.

Also, a liquor store in NY told me the reason THEY scanned my card was because it wasn't from NY, so they had to "verify".

There are laws in some states that if you don't appear a certain age you must card. Police make the news by testing things and citing the companies that fail to do this. If I owned a place that sold alcohol I'd be sure there was a policy to card. Now the scanning sounds like complete BS

Brian4Liberty
03-18-2015, 12:14 AM
There are laws in some states that if you don't appear a certain age you must card. Police make the news by testing things and citing the companies that fail to do this. If I owned a place that sold alcohol I'd be sure there was a policy to card. Now the scanning sounds like complete BS

Scanning is just another piece of the panopticon.

Zippyjuan
03-18-2015, 12:21 PM
Scanning is one way to check if it is a real ID or a fake one.

devil21
03-18-2015, 03:23 PM
Scanning is one way to check if it is a real ID or a fake one.

Yeah, Zippy 1.0 already said that in this thread.

dannno
03-18-2015, 03:44 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD8aZV-Y8bE

kcchiefs6465
03-18-2015, 06:19 PM
If your state is one of many that requires a SS number for DL, bet your ass it has personal information.

SS - DL - and DOB and I'll have everything you've ever done.
It isn't that he does not know this.

They already were doing it in Seattle to try and flag cars whose drivers were possibly operating under the influence.

I had one store here pull out a fucking spreadsheet with various criterion. DL number, name, address, DOB. All for a quart. Had to bring out the manager to override their retention of information.

Which brings me to another point. Some of these people are seriously brain dead and lack common sense. "Under forty must I.D." carding forty year old men. They wouldn't sell cigarettes to my mom a couple months ago.

It didn't just start, either. I remember my father being carded buying alcohol. He was only, I don't know, fifty at the time. They even tried carding me for being there. Some of it is overly 'proactive' training procedures, no doubt. That and ABC fascists doctoring one's appearance to appear older in the hopes of scoring an underage sale. I suspect they might fund their authoritarian and pointless activities through robbing bar establishments the third or fourth time with distribution fees. Lucky I am more gentlemanly than the average. Feel like spitting on people sometimes, though.

Zippyjuan
03-18-2015, 07:23 PM
Just realized thread is two and a half years old.

acptulsa
03-18-2015, 07:29 PM
Just realized thread is two and a half years old.

Like elephants, and unlike other Republicans, libertarians never forget.