PDA

View Full Version : Congress Passes Restrictions On Funeral Protests, Delivers Blow To Westboro Baptist

VoluntaryAmerican
08-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Westboro Baptist Church protesters will soon be severely limited in their ability to disrupt military funerals, after Congress passed a sweeping veterans bill this week that includes restrictions on such demonstrations.

According to "The Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012," which is now headed to President Barack Obama's desk, demonstrators will no longer be allowed to picket military funerals two hours before or after a service. The bill also requires protestors to be at least 300 feet away from grieving family members.

This aspect of the legislation was introduced by Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine), who, at the urging of a teenage constituent, proposed new limitations on military funeral demonstrations as a response to a 2011 Supreme Court case that ruled such actions were protected under the First Amendment.

In the wake of that decision, many have turned to counter-protest efforts to block Westboro Baptist Church's disruptive and insensitive displays, which frequently suggest that U.S. soldiers have been killed as God's vengeance for gay tolerance.

Thousands turned out in Missouri last month, forming a "human wall" around a church where the service for a fallen soldier was being held.

Earlier in July, hundreds of Texas A&M students showed up in a similar effort, joining together to create a barrier between Westboro Baptist Church members and a military funeral.

And while not at a specific service, a group of demonstrators dressed as zombies gathered at a military base in Washington last month, far outnumbering and overshadowing followers of the far-right congregation.

The bill also contains a variety of measures meant to address veterans health, benefits, housing and education. Obama is expected to sign to the legislation later this month.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/02/veterans-bill-military-funerals_n_1733080.html

jkr
08-04-2012, 07:25 PM
COMPLY!

Philosophy_of_Politics
08-04-2012, 07:35 PM
As much as I hate Westboro Baptist Church. This is a violation of their 1st amendment rights.

Brett85
08-04-2012, 07:52 PM
I read that this bill was passed unanimously. So I guess Ron either voted for it, or it was just one of those voice votes and Ron decided not to object.

Athan
08-04-2012, 08:53 PM
I think regardless of our feelings on our rights detailed in the first amendment, I chose to hold my opinions on this legislation out of respect for the families and loved ones of America's soldiers. I know where this type of legislation is going and the abuses that it will eventually lead to; but for me, personally, there will be a better time for me to speak out against it. Right now though, I don't feel it is the best time. I do want grieving families to be given respect in their hard time.

ShaneEnochs
08-04-2012, 09:04 PM
To be honest, if I were in Congress, I probably would have voted yea on it.

robertwerden
08-04-2012, 09:17 PM
I am really surprised the WBC members are still alive.

kcchiefs6465
08-04-2012, 09:27 PM
I would happily go to jail for kicking some Westboro Baptist ass but no laws against free speech please
I was in AZ when they decided to protest the shooting at Safeway. I really tried finding a way out to Tucson to 'express' my feelings. I feel the same. We need no laws against free speech. Saying what you say is all good and well.. but don't be surprised when you offend someone and they come to clean your clock. For the record... since free speech is alive and well, FUCK WESTBORO BAPTIST. I hope they burn in the same hell they believe in.

phill4paul
08-04-2012, 09:33 PM
COMPLY!

COMPLY, COMPLY, COMPLY....

low preference guy
08-04-2012, 09:44 PM
it shouldn't have been passed. the state of affairs before this bill would have encouraged more funerals in private property or neighborhoods which is a good thing.

Victor Grey
08-04-2012, 10:05 PM
I would happily go to jail for kicking some Westboro Baptist ass but no laws against free speech please

Yeah that's about my feelings as well. I'm not a fully perfect person on the n.a.p.
I have my own quirks, my sentiments can come out at times. Some things I do think can just solve themselves out on the um, local level.

This doesn't sit right with me though. It is unnecessary.

DerailingDaTrain
08-04-2012, 10:26 PM

Most of them are women, children, and old people I believe:

http://graphicpolicy.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/westboro-baptist-church.jpg

http://jimsomerville.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/westboro_baptist_church-drones.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1fwmW31HC9o/TKzNr4BZzNI/AAAAAAAADiA/M2iQilKa0iE/s1600/Westboro-Baptist-Church.jpg

http://onwardstate.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/westboro_baptist_church.jpeg

I suppose you could kick the ass of the drunk guy protesting their protest.

DerailingDaTrain
08-04-2012, 10:30 PM
ok I would round up some women and children to kick their ass :rolleyes:

lol

oyarde
08-04-2012, 10:46 PM
" God hates ****" , really ? , I bet these dumbasses tell everyone else that God loves everybody .... to me, that sign might just say "kick my ass " :) , ticks need to get a real job.

oyarde
08-04-2012, 10:47 PM
The "God hates signs" sign , makes more sense to me ;)

qh4dotcom
08-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Oh geez, it's pathetic that some of you who claim to be libertarians are advocating laws against free speech...and some of you took the oath to defend the first amendment.
Now that the WPB can't go picketing at the military funerals, maybe they'll start picketing the civilian funerals....the anti-free speech law that was just passed says nothing about civilian funerals.

oyarde
08-04-2012, 11:24 PM
I have no problem with free speech , but do not think it prudent for anyone to be protesting at any funeral . I am an old guy , I was raised with manners :)

qh4dotcom
08-04-2012, 11:30 PM
I have no problem with free speech , but do not think it prudent for anyone to be protesting at any funeral . I am an old guy , I was raised with manners :)

Sure it's not prudent, I would never do it....but if someone is that dumb to do it, why should you or I pay for his/her imprisonment? The human wall was a better idea to deal with it.

oyarde
08-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Sure it's not prudent, I would never do it....but if someone is that dumb to do it, why should you or I pay for his/her imprisonment? The human wall was a better idea to deal with it. I sure as hell would not imprison them , that would be unfair to the ordinary prisoners , where I live , they are all there for being broke ( child support ) or drinking and getting high , ( while not keeping it at home ) . If I went to jail for drinking a twelve pack , I would be pissed if I had to share a cell with one of them ....

NIU Students for Liberty
08-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Instead of worrying about a bunch of lunatics yelling while families are in mourning, the government can prevent these funerals from occurring in the first place if they, oh, I don't know...ended the wars!

idiom
08-04-2012, 11:43 PM
+1 for Trolling Congress.

oyarde
08-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Instead of worrying about a bunch of lunatics yelling while families are in mourning, the government can prevent these funerals from occurring in the first place if they, oh, I don't know...ended the wars! I like that .

Feeding the Abscess
08-04-2012, 11:46 PM
I read that this bill was passed unanimously. So I guess Ron either voted for it, or it was just one of those voice votes and Ron decided not to object.

Ron was giving his announcement speech in New Hampshire that day.

House also doesn't work like the Senate; one Senator can force a recorded vote, one House member cannot do the same.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/112-2011/h330

It's disappointing that Amash voted for this.

Philosophy_of_Politics
08-04-2012, 11:57 PM
I do believe a funeral, could be considered temporary private property, yes?

oyarde
08-04-2012, 11:59 PM
I do believe a funeral, could be considered temporary private property, yes? For what they cost? yes , a few thousand for a few hours....

sailingaway
08-05-2012, 01:31 AM

Or he wasn't present.

I don't see the federal jurisdiction unless the funeral is on federal property. You can't realistically say wherever a soldier goes feds have jurisdiction to regulate everyone around them.

Time and manner restrictions are ok, up to a point. Two hours before and after might be too much, I don't know how long families are typically there. And our law has always recognized funerals and treatment of dead bodies as particularly sensitive. I'm not as outraged at the restriction, to be honest, as to the idea that the FEDERAL govt is passing it.

I'll consider tomorrow if I'm being inconsistent with my beliefs, but that is where I initially come out. They have a right to speak but not where it OBVIOUSLY intentionally causes severe distress to grieving innocents, and they can do it somewhere else. On balance I think the rights of the mourners to mourn in peace and associate with other mourners outweighs the right of the protesters to not only say what they want but also in the manner and place and time most calculated to hurt.

If they did it at a memorial (the statue or something, not the event) it would carry the same sick message, but not hurt people as deeply. I don't see why they have a right to do THAT.

sailingaway
08-05-2012, 01:37 AM
Instead of worrying about a bunch of lunatics yelling while families are in mourning, the government can prevent these funerals from occurring in the first place if they, oh, I don't know...ended the wars!

^^thread winner.....

ShaneEnochs
08-05-2012, 06:11 AM
Oh geez, it's pathetic that some of you who claim to be libertarians are advocating laws against free speech...and some of you took the oath to defend the first amendment.
Now that the WPB can't go picketing at the military funerals, maybe they'll start picketing the civilian funerals....the anti-free speech law that was just passed says nothing about civilian funerals.

I'm not a libertarian.

freedomordeath
08-05-2012, 06:38 AM
This is sick and in the good ol days, this would never have been a problem, it would never have even made a newspaper because some poeple would have had the shit kicked out of em, but law abiding poeple seem to get serious jail time nowadays.

Its better not to pass laws, if WBC decide to protest then cops should be called to make sure they stay on the sidewalk and do what they do best... make sure they don't block entrances. Think that is pretty reasonable, they can keep the family members in cars and ride them onto the burial grounds, obviously there will be burial grounds next to roads etc, unfortunarely, they'll have to choose more inaccessable grounds. Also under the constitution, these can be sorted out locally either by State or City regulations, but never by communist central planning.

I think WBC get alot of play time because MSM want to portray Christians as nutjobs just as Hollywood portrays all Christians as Catholics.

truelies
08-05-2012, 07:09 AM
........................... I do want grieving families to be given respect in their hard time.

Why? Those 'grieving families' were living off the pay for murder in criminal war received by their dead member- WHO FREELY CHOSE TO JOIN THE SLAY FOR PAY BRIGADE. You should seriously consider reserving your sympathy/respect for thoae more deserving.

ShaneEnochs
08-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Why? Those 'grieving families' were living off the pay for murder in criminal war received by their dead member- WHO FREELY CHOSE TO JOIN THE SLAY FOR PAY BRIGADE. You should seriously consider reserving your sympathy/respect for thoae more deserving.

Yeah, nothing better than the death of soldiers, right? My dad fought in Vietnam. I just can't WAIT until he fucking dies. My brother went to war in Afghanistan. We're really looking forward to him kicking the bucket. CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!

Sometimes this forum makes me physically ill.

Brian Coulter
08-05-2012, 07:25 AM

UtahApocalypse
08-05-2012, 07:32 AM
As much as I hate Westboro Baptist Church. This is a violation of their 1st amendment rights.

^^ This

I think regardless of our feelings on our rights detailed in the first amendment, I chose to hold my opinions on this legislation out of respect for the families and loved ones of America's soldiers. I know where this type of legislation is going and the abuses that it will eventually lead to; but for me, personally, there will be a better time for me to speak out against it. Right now though, I don't feel it is the best time. I do want grieving families to be given respect in their hard time.

To be honest, if I were in Congress, I probably would have voted yea on it.

Cowards.

lol

It's disappointing that Amash voted for this.

WTF??? Going to have to question him on FB about that

truelies
08-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Sometimes this forum makes me physically ill.

Yeah that a risk the neoconned face when confronted with truth.

ShaneEnochs
08-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Yeah that a risk the neoconned face when confronted with truth.

You're a sick individual.

truelies
08-05-2012, 07:37 AM
..........because some poeple would have had the shit kicked out of em, but law abiding poeple seem to get serious jail time nowadays.

Hmmmmmmm, I think your problem is that you think that 'law-abidding' is not peaceful protest, but rather physically assaulting those whom YOU personally dislike.

cajuncocoa
08-05-2012, 07:39 AM
I do believe a funeral, could be considered temporary private property, yes?I think a case could be made for that.

nobody's_hero
08-05-2012, 09:50 AM

I feel the same way. I should be angry about this bill, but I'm not. The way I see it, you only really get one chance to lay your loved ones to rest, and it is a private event intended for the surviving families, politics aside. I could imagine how I'd feel like my rights are violated if someone came in and ruined that for me and mine. I really don't know how the Fed gov intends to enforce it, though. I guess we'll have to have some sort of Funeral Patrol Bureau which is what scares me. Should have been done at the local or state level.

pcosmar
08-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Does this mean no more drone strikes on Funerals ?

@Hypocrisy

Brian Coulter
08-05-2012, 10:15 AM

oyarde
08-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Tax exempt huh ? Fuck that.