PDA

View Full Version : Fire safe cigarettes create even more lung damage?

Dr.3D
08-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Fire safe cigarettes create even more lung damage

So says S. D. Wells.

Unfortunately, there is no good news. The other bad news is that the "safety rings" are made of an ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer emulsion based adhesive (carpet glue), which causes severe irritation of mucous membranes and the upper respiratory tract. Symptoms of this damage include a severe burning sensation, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headaches, nausea and vomiting. In other words, the speed bumps aren't only useless, they are compounding problems for smokers.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/035880_fire_safe_cigarettes_lungs_damage.html#ixzz 22bUtxADu

I've heard a lot of complaints about this from various smokers and wonder what people here think about it.

Comments?

Kotin
08-04-2012, 12:40 PM
yeah.. I switched to the pipe because of this.. cheaper anyway to go to my local humidor and buy tobacco..

oyarde
08-04-2012, 12:41 PM
I assumed it at the get go ( do not know ) and switched to some really shorts , 72's , they have very few of the rings in them. Still planning on trying to quit this year. These really short ones still taste the same , the others , not .

Dr.3D
08-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Well, I'm a little confused now. The article says the manufacturers implemented this and later it says it is mandated in many states. So which is it? Is it a government mandate or something voluntarily implemented by the manufacturers? If it is voluntary, then why wouldn't they make them without the carpet glue and let people decide if they feel safer smoking the ones that may burn down their homes or smoking the ones that won't cause so much lung damage?

Nickels
08-04-2012, 12:50 PM
were they designed to protect against fire hazard? if so, then you expect fire retardants, and in that case, I wouldn't expect it to be healthier.

Valli6
08-04-2012, 01:00 PM
I have since quit smoking - but after they started doing this I noticed that I was smoking each cigarette faster. Other smokers I know noticed the same thing - a cigarette didn't last as long as it used to. I think it caused me to draw harder and inhale more.

(edit) Ah! Just read this part:

...it's forcing the smoker to puff harder and more frequently than they otherwise would, compounding health problems.
I knew it!

oyarde
08-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I have since quit smoking - but after they started doing this I noticed that I was smoking each cigarette faster. Other smokers I know noticed the same thing - a cigarette didn't last as long as it used to. I think it caused me to draw harder and inhale more.

Probably

kcchiefs6465
08-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Well, I'm a little confused now. The article says the manufacturers implemented this and later it says it is mandated in many states. So which is it? Is it a government mandate or something voluntarily implemented by the manufacturers? If it is voluntary, then why wouldn't they make them without the carpet glue and let people decide if they feel safer smoking the ones that may burn down their homes or smoking the ones that won't cause so much lung damage?
Mandated in all 50 states. The District of Columbia also. New York being the first state to mandate it. (Figure that)

coastie
08-04-2012, 03:10 PM
My wife and I went to Colorado 2 years ago to visit my mom. At the time, FSC's were not in Florida or Alabama. We bought our first pack since the trip began in Mississippi-WHOA! They tasted like shit, something didn't seem right about them. Every state we hit on the way to Colorado were the same.

The DO NOT go out-at least they don't now. When they first appeared, the really did go out as advertised, I remember clearly bitching about having to re-light them every 5 minutes or so.

But now? Fire safe my ass. Those things burn as hot as hell's septic tank in the summer, and I've been burned several times just from the ashes hitting me.

We are both trying desperately to quit, we do a pack a day between the BOTH of us(one pack a day, combined). Neither one of us smoke as much as we used to, but we're getting there. Its mostly due to the FSC that we don't smoke as much, they are harsh and leave me with a sore throat, and I could hear myself wheezing the other night when laying down.:eek: Time to quit, I think 25 years is long enough. I started when I was 10, when cigs cost .80 a pack, and no one in Louisiana thought anything of a 10 yr old buying a pack of smokes.

puppetmaster
08-04-2012, 04:04 PM
roll your own....that's the best cigarette if you smoke.

I have a machine that rolls a carton filters and all under four minutes.

DerailingDaTrain
08-04-2012, 05:58 PM
This is way old news. People on the internet (like 2 years ago) were microwaving, freezing, and then microwaving their cigarettes in some stupid attempt to "fix them".

belian78
08-04-2012, 06:14 PM
'The Easy Way to Quit Smoking' by Allen Carr. Best thing that ever happened to me, cold turkey after 15 years of smoking. :D

LibertyEagle
08-04-2012, 06:21 PM

What do you use?

tod evans
08-04-2012, 06:25 PM
yeah.. I switched to the pipe because of this.. cheaper anyway to go to my local humidor and buy tobacco..

I switched to a pipe about 8yrs ago......took quite a while for me to get over the chemical jones from regular store-bought cigarettes.

Dr.3D
08-04-2012, 06:49 PM
This is way old news. People on the internet (like 2 years ago) were microwaving, freezing, and then microwaving their cigarettes in some stupid attempt to "fix them".
I am just trying to understand why the government would mandate something they know is worse for smokers than before the mandate. It seems they are either ignorant of the facts or they are being cruel to smokers in hopes they either die out or quit due to the mandate. I doubt it could be they really believe the mandate is helping to stop fires.

puppetmaster
08-04-2012, 07:25 PM
It is called the Dragster.....was expensive not really a home use machine.

Most pipe tobacco is cigarette tobacco with a pipe label

Dr.3D
08-04-2012, 07:31 PM

At $30,000 I can see why.
http://www.manta.com/cp/mxf0wm8/4fdaf1bad88b1f5d29000001/http-www-dragstermachine-com

oyarde
08-04-2012, 07:49 PM
I am just trying to understand why the government would mandate something they know is worse for smokers than before the mandate. It seems they are either ignorant of the facts or they are being cruel to smokers in hopes they either die out or quit due to the mandate. I doubt it could be they really believe the mandate is helping to stop fires. Well , if they all die at sixty , they keep the hundreds of thousands of dollars they stole for Medicare and Social Security .....

oyarde
08-04-2012, 07:50 PM
I always knew those bastards were trying to kill me after they stold all my money ;)

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
08-04-2012, 07:52 PM
I switched to a pipe about 8yrs ago......took quite a while for me to get over the chemical jones from regular store-bought cigarettes.

Yeah, there's a lot more addictive stuff in those than nicotine as far as i can tell. I always suggest people step down by switching to something like American Spirit cigs where there are less (or no?) additives.

tangent4ronpaul
08-04-2012, 08:00 PM
I am just trying to understand why the government would mandate something they know is worse for smokers than before the mandate. It seems they are either ignorant of the facts or they are being cruel to smokers in hopes they either die out or quit due to the mandate. I doubt it could be they really believe the mandate is helping to stop fires.

Government does this all the time. Remember something called paraquat (?) they used to spray on fields of pot plants? Horrible health effects.

Look at all the upside here:
Chemical company makes money
Insurance company doesn't loose as much money
Banks holding mortgages don't loose money
Tobacco companies can charge more for the extra step
The IRS and local tax men can tax an intact house, not so much if it burned down.
Medicare and Medicaid (which are bankrupting the country) don't have to deal with smokers chronic conditions as long, so you are less of a burden on the government.

Do you seriously think the government cares about us? This is just backdoor eugenics.

-t

tod evans
08-04-2012, 08:07 PM

I can assure you what I smoke is a completely different cut and blend than what you'll find in a cigarette.

tangent4ronpaul
08-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Well , if they all die at sixty , they keep the hundreds of thousands of dollars they stole for Medicare and Social Security .....

I forgot the Social Security savings. Probably unemployment too, these days...

Yeah, there's a lot more addictive stuff in those than nicotine as far as i can tell. I always suggest people step down by switching to something like American Spirit cigs where there are less (or no?) additives.

Winston is supposed to have no additives, or very few. Didn't know about American Spirit. They are both cheaper than regular name brands - and I'm guessing a lot of it is because of a lack of additives. Though the "off lable" ones are supposed to be floor sweepings from the manufacture of name brand ones.

-t

Anti Federalist
08-04-2012, 08:42 PM
So, all the added chemicals make a cigarette smoulder and burn when ordinary tobacco would go out.

Solution?

Add more chemicals to make it go out.

kcchiefs6465
08-04-2012, 08:54 PM
So, all the added chemicals make a cigarette smoulder and burn when ordinary tobacco would go out.

Solution?

Add more chemicals to make it go out.
I could not rep enough. Add chemicals to make cigarettes not exstinguish.. then add mandates for chemicals to make the cigarettes self-exstinguish. Then add taxes on cigarettes.. for what reason? Increased healthcare costs. One would think if they truly cared about the cost of healthcare they wouldn't mandate 'carpet glue' or rather, 'ethylene acetate copolymer emulsions' in cigarettes.. Hmmm.. kinda makes you wonder whether they actually care. (Typed while smoking a 'cancer stick') Where's a hemp rolled 'J' when I need it?

tangent4ronpaul
08-04-2012, 09:00 PM
There is a interesting 4 minute video at this site from the History channel about how cigarettes are made and what's in them:

http://naturalsmokes.net/healthinfo.html

Some of the info from that site:

The federal government passed a law in 2004 mandating that cigarettes self extinguish. To accomplish this. cigarette manufacturers now put "ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer" (carpet glue) adhesive into the paper of the cigarettes. The result is that cigarette smokers are now inhaling burning glue. According to a Harvard Study, the self extinguishing cigarettes produce 13.9% more Naphthalene and 11.4% more carbon monoxide than cigarettes made without the glue. Naphthalene is a substance used to make moth balls and in quantity, causes nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, confusion, anemia, jaundice, convulsions and coma: Information from www.xaminer.com/naphthalene.

By making your own cigarettes. you avoid the following.

1. The negative effects of 599 additives
2. You are not smoking 50% fillers. You are smoking 100% tobacco
3. You are not smoking "carpet glue", Naphthalene.

FSC cigarettes even more dangerous? After lighting up are you experiencing more headaches, stomach cramps or a coppery taste in your mouth? Does your new FSC (fire-safe cigarette) taste bad, cause dry mouth and are you coughing more?

http://www.blog.modernvapor.com/vaping-news-and-insights/substance-in-fire-safe-cigarettes-create-more-health-danger-for-smokers.htm

Not only has FSC seen marginal success in reducing fires, the safety rings that supposedly prevent the cigarette from burning contain an ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer emulsion based adhesive, or what’s more commonly known as carpet glue.

When inhaled, this substance can cause irritation of mucous membranes and of the upper respiratory tract. This damage can lead to a severe burning sensation, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headaches, nausea and vomiting.

In addition to these symptoms, the exhale of carpet glue combined with carbon monoxide can lead to neurological problems in infants.

Therefore, not only are the FSC safety rings ineffective, they’re compounding the health problems cigarettes cause smokers and those around them.

In light of these failings and the health dangers of using fire safe cigarettes, its suggested smokers either roll their own cigarettes or quit altogether.

Electronic cigarettes do provide an alternative without all of the nasty chemicals that are in traditional smokes. In fact, the nicotine juice that’s heated to a vapor and inhaled generally only contains three main ingredients – propylene glycol, glycerin and nicotine – which are heated into an aerosol mist similar to a nebulizer or humidifier.

While nicotine’s effects on the body are very minor, it is VERY ADDICTIVE. Propylene glycol is classified as ‘GRAS,’ or generally recognized as safe, by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control. It is a common food additive and is also used in a variety of things from asthma inhalers to fog machines.

Substances in traditional cigarettes on the other hand are much more numerous, and much more dangerous, especially considering the new fire safe cigarettes on the market today.

-t

puppetmaster
08-04-2012, 09:19 PM
UI am a tobaccoist so I blend everything custom as needed. I also buy in bulk and have pretty much every leaf available. 90% of commercial tobacco is Virginia flue cured and burley in different proportions. I have been able to blend tobacco to very similar tastes of the major brands. Then I have a few special blends that get high reviews.....I don't smoke but enjoy blending and the smell of fresh tobacco.

oyarde
08-04-2012, 09:25 PM
I forgot the Social Security savings. Probably unemployment too, these days...

Winston is supposed to have no additives, or very few. Didn't know about American Spirit. They are both cheaper than regular name brands - and I'm guessing a lot of it is because of a lack of additives. Though the "off lable" ones are supposed to be floor sweepings from the manufacture of name brand ones.

-t The savings for them could be huge , as much as 20 percent of the population ....

Dr.3D
08-05-2012, 10:48 AM

Okay, my friend says he was smoking Salem Ultra Lights until they made them taste so bad he couldn't tolerate them anymore.
What kind of tobacco and tubes would you recommend he use to get what he used to smoke before they screwed it all up for him?

jay_dub
08-05-2012, 11:18 AM
I roll my own these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPtCZawoIbw

Dr.3D
08-05-2012, 05:52 PM
I roll my own these days.
snip
Interesting video.... points up another great reason to roll your own.

DamianTV
08-06-2012, 02:56 AM
I think that, as usual, the government solution to any problem is worse than the original problem itself.