PDA

View Full Version : OH-Dog shot by police, for being old.

Anti Federalist
08-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Yeah, "consented" my aching fucking ass.

"Look here Mundane, either you let me shoot your elderly dog, or I'm going to arrest you for animal cruelty, take you to prison, and still shoot your dog."

Dog shot by police, her only crime was being old

http://www.examiner.com/article/dog-shot-by-police-her-only-crime-was-being-old

A Highland County, Ohio woman reported that Greenfield Police showed up at her residence at midnight Thursday night in response to a complaint filed by a neighbor that there was a dog at that address that was suffering. The woman alleges that Patrolman Leeth, Badge #7, then proceeded to shoot the dog without provocation.

Billy Jo Whitley said that her dog, Ginger, was elderly and had some hip problems, but was not being abused in any way. Expecting that the dog would be dying soon, she and her husband had decided to let Ginger live out the rest of her life peacefully, saying that she still ate well and accepted doggie treats. Mrs. Whitley reported that the dog was resting comfortably when the officer shot once, then when she noticed that Ginger was still breathing after 10 minutes had passed, he shot her a second time, in full view of the owners.

My conversation with Greenfield Chief of Police Timothy Hester confirms that Patrolman Leeth was dispatched to the Whitley residence after receiving a report of the dog being severely emaciated and in distress, and that Mr. Whitley did consent to let the officer put down the dog to end her suffering. Hester stated that Leeth is a K9 Officer who loves animals and wouldn’t have shot the dog without sufficient cause; Patrolman Leeth remained to assist Mr. Whitley in burying Ginger on their property.

Chief Hester, also a dog lover, said he understands the Whitley’s grief over losing their family pet, but that Patrolman Leeth was in full compliance with Greenfield Police Department procedures for this type of incident.

satchelmcqueen
08-03-2012, 11:05 PM
since when are the po po the judge and jury in this shit??????

LibertyEagle
08-03-2012, 11:12 PM
I would like to know if this was true, though.

Mr. Whitley did consent to let the officer put down the dog to end her suffering.

Because it is germane.

Yes, I agree that the police shouldn't be involved in these issues, but it does matter in this case whether the owner did consent.

Anti Federalist
08-03-2012, 11:19 PM

Because it is germane.

Yes, I agree that the police shouldn't be involved in these issues, but it does matter in this case whether the owner did consent.

True, that's why I prefaced the story with how, in my mind's eye, that "consent" was given.

KCIndy
08-03-2012, 11:19 PM
WTF?? I mean, seriously, WTF??

Since when is it within the purview of a law enforcement officer to execute an animal for the "crime" of being old? Whatever happened to Animal Control? This is something that couldn't have waited until the next day?

Even if (and I mean IF) the dog was in bad shape and needed to be put down, that's a job for a veterinarian and a needle, not some egotistic, badge toting trigger-happy prick with a 9mm.

invisible
08-03-2012, 11:23 PM

Because it is germane.

You would be surprised what people will "consent" to, when being threatened with a false arrest on trumped-up charges. Especially when they can't afford a lawyer to fight city hall, assuming that they can even find a lawyer willing to do so. See AF's intro at the top of his post. I have no doubt that that is almost exactly how it went down.

jkr
08-03-2012, 11:29 PM
come get me you big brave mannnnnnnn

heavenlyboy34
08-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Makes no fucking sense. Even if the dog was suffering, why put it to death in such a painful way? Euthanasia is the humane way to do it. I don't know Highland County well, but veternarians were pretty easy to find in Hamilton county last I was there.

I highly doubt this is true-
Chief Hester, also a dog lover, said he understands the Whitley’s grief over losing their family pet. Dog lovers generally don't think highly of shooting a dog.

KingRobbStark
08-04-2012, 12:04 AM
since when are the po po the judge and jury in this shit??????

Since the constitution seized to be relevant, which is a while back.

LibertyEagle
08-04-2012, 12:55 AM
WTF?? I mean, seriously, WTF??

Since when is it within the purview of a law enforcement officer to execute an animal for the "crime" of being old? Whatever happened to Animal Control? This is something that couldn't have waited until the next day?

Even if (and I mean IF) the dog was in bad shape and needed to be put down, that's a job for a veterinarian and a needle, not some egotistic, badge toting trigger-happy prick with a 9mm.

Yeah, I agree. I have found myself asking the same thing when I see many of these stories. Why isn't animal control being called instead of the police? This was never the role of the police.

Tinnuhana
08-04-2012, 05:44 AM
I usually don't even open these threads because of emotional considerations (and I didn't read this one, either) but I can tell you this. Our base had a K-9, which, at that time, was considered a "piece of equipment". At 15, in the training field, his heart stopped beating three or four times. Each time, his trainer got it restarted. But finally, he died in the arms of the people he defended. They kept him going and on the job so that he wouldn't be unceremoniously disposed of (euthanized) for not being able to do his job. Since then, things have changed and military dogs can be adopted by their handlers when it's time for them to retire. (I wish I could remember the dog's name.)

Victor Grey
08-04-2012, 06:09 AM
Since then, things have changed and military dogs can be adopted by their handlers when it's time for them to retire. (I wish I could remember the dog's name.)

One thing Clinton did I can agree with.

Call it tossing him a bone.

tod evans
08-04-2012, 06:19 AM
Yeah, I agree. I have found myself asking the same thing when I see many of these stories. Why isn't animal control being called instead of the police? This was never the role of the police.

This isn't the "roll" of animal control either...

It's not any public employees job or duty to determine when or if a pet should be put down, nor is it their job to provide euthanasia services.

The obligation to care for pets falls directly on their owner.

truelies
08-04-2012, 08:16 AM
I had a pet dog with a similar situation several years back. Had an officer 'friendly' behaved in that manner on my Property I might well have been awaiting the needle at the state pen today.....................................BUT the officer 'friendly' would be in hell absolutely without doubt and my conscience would be utterly at rest regarding sending him there.

MelissaCato
08-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Unbelievable. I wish these links would post a picture of the dog with the story. The only way people will open their eyes is if the story is personal, and a photo of the dog before murdered would make it personal.

Dr.3D
08-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Seems police should be kept from drinking fluoridated water and using fluoride toothpaste, they can't spare the IQ. Of course 10% of 50 is less than 10% of 100. So if they lost 10% of their IQ points it wouldn't change much.

angelatc
08-04-2012, 08:29 AM

Because it is germane.

The police are trained to put pressure on people in order to weaken their resolve and get them to consent in a moment of weakness. That's a big part of the "Don't Talk To The Police" philosophy. If you decide to verbally engage, they start psychological sparring. Most of us aren't programmed to win that battle.

Dr.3D
08-04-2012, 08:31 AM

Because it is germane.

But consent under duress isn't really consent.

LibertyEagle
08-04-2012, 08:33 AM
This isn't the "roll" of animal control either...

It's not any public employees job or duty to determine when or if a pet should be put down, nor is it their job to provide euthanasia services.

The obligation to care for pets falls directly on their owner.

If there was a complaint of animal abuse, or a dog running around harassing people, that is the role of Animal Control.

LibertyEagle
08-04-2012, 08:34 AM
But consent under duress isn't really consent.

True. I wasn't letting them off the hook, but it still pertains.

tod evans
08-04-2012, 08:47 AM
If there was a complaint of animal abuse, or a dog running around harassing people, that is the role of Animal Control.

I was speaking directly about putting the ol' dog down.

LibertyEagle
08-04-2012, 08:53 AM
I was speaking directly about putting the ol' dog down.

You're right. I agree with you.

Bruno
08-04-2012, 09:24 AM
I am the vet right now, they are putting the family cat down. I'm thankful they are not shooting it out back, and that it won't suffer for 10 minutes before another bullet puts it out of its misery.

Tinnuhana
08-04-2012, 09:31 AM
There was a rabid skunk in the parking lot of the boarding house I lived in. The poor thing was starting to go into convulsions. We called the police and two cars (four officers) showed up. They didn't do anything and left when the skunk let off some odor. One cop stayed behind. He said he would have put the skunk out of its misery, but the last time he did that (squirrel hit by a car with a broken back and internal injuries), he was reprimanded for firing his service gun inside town limits. The skunk died and was buried the next day right where he died instead of having Fish and Game pick it up to test for rabies like they're supposed to. So I don't know but this would have been illegal in Hudson, NH.

Kluge
08-04-2012, 10:15 AM
A Highland County, Ohio woman reported that Greenfield Police showed up at her residence at midnight Thursday night in response to a complaint filed by a neighbor that there was a dog at that address that was suffering. The woman alleges that Patrolman Leeth, Badge #7, then proceeded to shoot the dog without provocation.

On what planet is it appropriate to show up at midnight to address this sort of thing?

phill4paul
08-04-2012, 10:20 AM
On what planet is it appropriate to show up at midnight to address this sort of thing?

No doubt. I had missed that.

Danke
08-04-2012, 10:21 AM

Pluto, but that is no longer considered a real planet, so I guess it doesn't really count.

Kluge
08-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Pluto, but that is no longer considered a real planet, so I guess it doesn't really count.

I can't believe you missed an opportunity to mention Uranus.

Danke
08-04-2012, 01:06 PM
I can't believe you missed an opportunity to mention Uranus.

Well, I'd imagine all planets in reality, except some jurisdictions on Earth.

Anti Federalist
08-04-2012, 01:11 PM

When you can catch people off guard, and "pressure" them into compliance.

Anti Federalist
08-04-2012, 01:15 PM
The police are trained to put pressure on people in order to weaken their resolve and get them to consent in a moment of weakness. That's a big part of the "Don't Talk To The Police" philosophy. If you decide to verbally engage, they start psychological sparring. Most of us aren't programmed to win that battle.

Exactly and great point.

Even the most innocent of responses and "polite" banter with a cop, during an "official contact", is being analyzed, worked over and prodded for weaknesses and openings in which to pry more, and likley incriminating, information from you.

They aren't talking to you because they are your pals or are bored.

MelissaCato
08-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Hey are we allowed to post the full article and the link ? Because I just posted this on a dog forum (http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/belgian_malinois/bulletins.read?mnr=646320) and the owner of the article got pissed at me. I don't even know how to respond to these people anymore. Just seems everyone is going to shit.