PDA

View Full Version : Record-Low 26% in U.S. Favor Handgun Ban

VoluntaryAmerican
08-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Record-Low 26% in U.S. Favor Handgun Ban

Support for stricter gun laws in general is lowest Gallup has measured
by Jeffrey M. Jones

PRINCETON, NJ -- A record-low 26% of Americans favor a legal ban on the possession of handguns in the United States other than by police and other authorized people. When Gallup first asked Americans this question in 1959, 60% favored banning handguns. But since 1975, the majority of Americans have opposed such a measure, with opposition around 70% in recent years.

The results are based on Gallup's annual Crime poll, conducted Oct. 6-9. This year's poll finds support for a variety of gun-control measures at historical lows, including the ban on handguns, which is Gallup's longest continuing gun-control trend.

For the first time, Gallup finds greater opposition to than support for a ban on semiautomatic guns or assault rifles, 53% to 43%. In the initial asking of this question in 1996, the numbers were nearly reversed, with 57% for and 42% against an assault rifle ban. Congress passed such a ban in 1994, but the law expired when Congress did not act to renew it in 2004. Around the time the law expired, Americans were about evenly divided in their views.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/150341/record-low-favor-handgun-ban.aspx

matt0611
08-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Wow, 26% of people want to completely trample over the 2nd amendment? That's insane.

IDefendThePlatform
08-02-2012, 09:52 PM
I'd be curious what the age breakdown is for the trend. Since the trend is improvement for 2nd amendment rights, I'd guess more and more young people are on our side than before, which would mean the future is even brighter.

Also would like to know the % for internet vs. MSM news junkies. Pretty sure internet users would slant even more heavily in our favor, which is also encouraging.

VoluntaryAmerican
08-02-2012, 10:06 PM
I'd be curious what the age breakdown is for the trend. Since the trend is improvement for 2nd amendment rights, I'd guess more and more young people are on our side than before, which would mean the future is even brighter.

Also would like to know the % for internet vs. MSM news junkies. Pretty sure internet users would slant even more heavily in our favor, which is also encouraging.

It shows the age breakdown in the article.

AlexAmore
08-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Sweet, looks like the elites have lost this propaganda battle. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come.

I bet this is really all about the internet being a beacon for free communication.

Tod
08-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Every demographic has been improving!

The scariest thing is the number (43%) who want to ban semiautomatic rifles. :confused: I can only attribute this to the wording of the question, which includes the word "assault". That, and ignorance of the public.

Czolgosz
08-03-2012, 12:44 PM
The internet will be controlled, in time. Don't count on it as a perpetual beacon of freedom.