PDA

View Full Version : Autographed copy of "A Foreign Policy of Freedom" at $400

Sematary
11-17-2007, 10:05 PM
With almost 3 days left to the auction:
http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyeBay&ssPageName=STRK%3AME%3ALNLK&CurrentPage=MyeBaySelling&MyeBay=&guest=1

This is going every bit as well as I'd hoped it would. Dr. Paul is going to get a sh*tload of money from me on the 16th. :)
If your maxed out, looking for a cool collectors item - well, here you go. I have a LONG way to go before maxing out. :)

NewEnd
11-17-2007, 10:06 PM
With almost 3 days left to the auction:
http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyeBay&ssPageName=STRK%3AME%3ALNLK&CurrentPage=MyeBaySelling&MyeBay=&guest=1

This is going every bit as well as I'd hoped it would. Dr. Paul is going to get a sh*tload of money from me on the 16th. :)
If your maxed out, looking for a cool collectors item - well, here you go. I have a LONG way to go before maxing out. :)

You really are not supposed to state your intentions to donate.

Sematary
11-17-2007, 10:11 PM
You really are not supposed to state your intentions to donate.

It's my book. I can do whatever I want with the money.

Mandrik
11-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Yeah, eBay cancelled my auction because I said I was donating the money. So I added this line on the new auction:

I will be spending this money on an upcoming Tea Party me and a bunch of my internet friends are having on December 16th. ;) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230192989914)

:D

Sematary
11-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Yeah, eBay cancelled my auction because I said I was donating the money. So I added this line on the new auction:

I will be spending this money on an upcoming Tea Party me and a bunch of my internet friends are having on December 16th. ;) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230192989914)

They cancelled your auction? For what?

Mandrik
11-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Because I didn't use their Charity thingy, Mission Fish, or whatever it's called. Total BS, but whatever. I've made my intent public here, so that's good enough, I guess.

Sematary
11-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Because I didn't use their Charity thingy, Mission Fish, or whatever it's called. Total BS, but whatever. I've made my intent public here, so that's good enough, I guess.

I'm not donating to a charity

strategos
cause they are stoopid :eek:

austin356
They cancelled your auction? For what?

cause it is illegal to specify that you are using the money specifically to donate. Posting illegal activity on Ebay will get the auction cancelled if they find out.

Sematary
11-17-2007, 10:19 PM
cause it is illegal to specify that you are using the money specifically to donate. Posting illegal activity on Ebay will get the auction cancelled if they find out.

There is absolutely nothing illegal about auctioning off your own property and using the proceeds to donate to a campaign.

Mandrik
11-17-2007, 10:20 PM

Exactly. That's why I'm using all the money I make for a fine Tea Party with all you guys. Hope you're thirsty on the 16th. Any preferences in brand/flavor? :p

kylejack
11-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Sematary, if you state what you're stating and a capped contributor buys it, you and they are breaking the law. Remember, we don't live in a free country.

Sematary
11-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Sematary, if you state what you're stating and a capped contributor buys it, you and they are breaking the law. Remember, we don't live in a free country.

But that's not correct. I am not asking someone to GIVE me money. I am selling an item of intrinsic value. It is my money to do as I please with. I've never heard of such a thing.

austin356
11-17-2007, 10:25 PM
There is absolutely nothing illegal about auctioning off your own property and using the proceeds to donate to a campaign.

no there isn't anything illegal with that. But it is illegal to tell people you specifically plan on donating the money from the sale.

Sematary
11-17-2007, 10:26 PM
no there isn't anything illegal with that. But it is illegal to tell people you specifically plan on donating the money from the sale.

why? It is simply information. When did information become illegal?

Mandrik
11-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Here is the alert I got from eBay on my original auction:

Dear lqgee,

You recently listed the following auction-style listing:

230192975690 - Ron Paul Liberty Dollar 1 oz 999 silver NORFED

The listing was removed because it violated the eBay Charity policy. The violation occurred when you included the following information in your listing:

In Description: I have decided to sell this and donate EVERY SINGLE PENNY to Ron Paul's presidential campaign on the next big donation day--December 16th

eBay encourages Community members to support charities. Accordingly, we have partnered with MissionFish to make it easier for members to donate to the organizations of their choice. However, because charitable fundraising is heavily regulated by federal and state law, we've created very specific guidelines regarding charitable solicitation on eBay.

For example, sellers can only list items on behalf of a registered 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4) charitable organization if they've fulfilled all the charitable listing requirements, including:

- For non-MissionFish listings: The seller has obtained written consent on the charity's letterhead and included a scanned copy of that letter in the listing.
- For MissionFish listings: The seller has registered with MissionFish and complied with MissionFish listing guidelines.

For more information on the eBay Charity policy and to view the listing requirements in detail, please visit:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/fundraising.html

Their site, their rules (+ laws).

kylejack
11-17-2007, 10:28 PM
The fact that you haven't heard of it doesn't make it any less illegal. It violates campaign finance law.

austin356
11-17-2007, 10:30 PM
why? It is simply information. When did information become illegal?

Cause say someone who has donated the max to Hillary wants to give more. They then "buy" a Hillary Keychain from a non-maxed donor for $2300. That non-maxed donor then donates all the proceeds to the campaign.

That is the same result as if the maxed out person had donated $4600.

There is nothing illegal about you donating the money, its just illegal to get people to bid based on the pre-condition that their money will be donated.

Now you can get away with saying something generic and non-specific such as "I have send all my extra $$ to Ron Paul's campaign" or "I plan on using the money for a teaparty", etc

0zzy
11-17-2007, 10:31 PM
wtf?

Sematary
11-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Cause say someone who has donated the max to Hillary wants to give more. They then "buy" a Hillary Keychain from a non-maxed donor for $2300. That non-maxed donor then donates all the proceeds to the campaign.

That is the same result as if the maxed out person had donated $4600.

There is nothing illegal about you donating the money, its just illegal to get people to bid based on the pre-condition that their money will be donated.

Hmmm
sounds like an unconstitutional rule to me. What I'm auctioning has obvious value. A keychain does not. Either way, however, I am making a sale of something that I own and am simply stating why I would part with such a wonderful treasure. Sometimes I hate the FEC.

austin356
11-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Hmmm
sounds like an unconstitutional rule to me. What I'm auctioning has obvious value. A keychain does not. Either way, however, I am making a sale of something that I own and am simply stating why I would part with such a wonderful treasure. Sometimes I hate the FEC.

Of course its unconstitutional!!!!

All limits on donations for individuals are unconstitutional, thus making all the laws that are used to enforce those limits also unconstitutional.

Sematary
11-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Here is the alert I got from eBay on my original auction:

Their site, their rules (+ laws).

Their site, their rules (+ laws).[/QUOTE]

2 things
1. Not a charity (if it were then the donation would be tax deductible)
2. There is no registered charitable organization that fits those guidelines.

Sematary
11-17-2007, 10:37 PM
Well, it's been up for almost 5 days and I can't change the original listing - I can only add on. So I'll just have to hope for the best, I guess.

kylejack
Of course its unconstitutional, but so are most of our laws. The Supreme Court upheld almost all of the McCain Feingold law when it ruled on it.

Mandrik
2 things
1. Not a charity (if it were then the donation would be tax deductible)
2. There is no registered charitable organization that fits those guidelines.

Can't really argue it. I just know that if I reposted it they would take it down again. So what's the use? I just threw it up there as a normal auction and made a post here. That's the best I can do.

Sematary
11-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Can't really argue it. I just know that if I reposted it they would take it down again. So what's the use? I just threw it up there as a normal auction and made a post here. That's the best I can do.

I used to like Ebay.

max
11-17-2007, 10:41 PM

lol....we always find a way dont we

guerrilla warriors