PDA

View Full Version : Alaska man charged with DUI -- for floating down river on raft

green73
08-02-2012, 09:22 AM
http://newsminer.com/bookmark/19659421-Juneau-man-gets-DUI-on-raft-in-Chena-River

FAIRBANKS — A Juneau man faces a rare DUI charge for allegedly having a 0.313 breath-alcohol content as he floated through Fairbanks on an inflatable raft Sunday night.

Alaska’s driving under the influence law applies to people operating motor vehicles, water craft and airplanes. The vast majority of charges are for terrestrial motor vehicles.

But when Alaska State Troopers received a report of a “heavily intoxicated” man floating down the Chena River near the Parks Highway bridge at 6:40 p.m. Sunday, a wildlife trooper boat responded and arrested 32-year-old William Modene.

“Modene had been floating on the river for the day and consuming alcoholic beverages the entire time,” troopers wrote in their “daily dispatches” log on their website.

At 0.313, Modene’s breath-alcohol content was almost four times the legal limit for operating a vehicle, 0.08.

Modene was arrested without incident and was cooperative with troopers, trooper spokeswoman Megan Peters said.

Modene posted $2,500 bail on Monday, according to the Alaska court system website.

Under Alaska’s DUI law, operating a water craft means to “navigate a vessel used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water for recreational or commercial purposes on all waters, fresh or salt, inland or coastal, inside the territorial limits or under the jurisdiction of the state.”

kathy88
08-02-2012, 09:25 AM
FFS.

pcosmar
08-02-2012, 09:33 AM
expletive

Origanalist
08-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Why am I no longer surprised at these stories?

The same reason I no longer believe in the sanity of my fellow countrymen. I no longer recognize the country I live in.

aloneinthewilderness
08-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Yeah, but come on- it's a good thing they got him. Imagine the damage he could have caused.

http://www.inflatablekayakworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Challenger-200.jpg

jkr
08-02-2012, 09:48 AM
I STAY HOME
THEY WON

now watch the "economy" self destruct

3000th post!

KingRobbStark
08-02-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm expecting someone to be arrested for taking a shower under the influence very soon.

ZENemy
08-02-2012, 10:37 AM
I just dont get how, the people, dont see that we are literally being robbed by the state.

"Your car traveled above this made up number, give me money"

"you stopped at this stop sign, everyone is safe by didn't stop for a full one second, give me money"

"your windows are dark I know you have a right to privacy, but no you dont, give me money"

"you were holding up traffic give me money"

"you had a beer and walked up, drunk in public, give me money"

The Free Hornet
08-02-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm expecting someone to be arrested for taking a shower under the influence very soon.

If you don't put away the bath toys, what do you expect?

http://www.icbaby.com/_product_images/tomy_pirate_ship.jpg

Brian4Liberty
08-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Yeah, but come on- it's a good thing they got him. Imagine the damage he could have caused.

A child could be hurt! Think of the children!

http://i41.tinypic.com/2iqopd0.jpg

LibertyEagle
08-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Yeah, they've started this same type of crap even in Texas. When I first moved here, the fun thing to do was to float down the river with an ice chest full of beer.

And then, the state started being flooded with Californians.... :(

They wrecked their own state and now want to do it to Texas.

jmdrake
08-02-2012, 12:10 PM
If I was him I'd take it to the jury, take the stand and blurt out before the judge could stop me "Jurors, in your heart of hearts you know this is stupid. You are under no obligation to find me guilty of violating the a law that you know is stupid. It's called jury nullification. The judge won't tell you this and my attorney can't."

Oh, and he arguably didn't violate the law as written if all he did was float. He should just say "I never steered my boat at all. The paddles were never dropped into the water". Make the prosecution prove otherwise.

devil21
08-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Are these cops just plain stupid? The statute obviously means MOTORIZED vehicles. Watercraft are BOATS with motors of some sort, not rafts or innertubes or floaties or a life vest. The real moron in this is the magistrate/judge that still thought there was probable cause to arrest him and set bond. Use your brains people! Jeez. Drunk in public? Sure, but DUI? GTFO

Anti Federalist
08-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Are these cops just plain stupid? The statute obviously means MOTORIZED vehicles. Watercraft are BOATS with motors of some sort, not rafts or innertubes or floaties or a life vest. The real moron in this is the magistrate/judge that still thought there was probable cause to arrest him and set bond. Use your brains people! Jeez. Drunk in public? Sure, but DUI? GTFO

No, they are not stupid at all.

They knew, thirty years ago, how much new power they would have as all these "anti drunk driving" laws came down the pike.

They know exactly what they are doing.

devil21
08-02-2012, 02:35 PM
No, they are not stupid at all.

They knew, thirty years ago, how much new power they would have as all these "anti drunk driving" laws came down the pike.

They know exactly what they are doing.

I guess they can get a little blood out of that turnip but no way does the the DUI charge stick and the cops and magistrate should know this. I do expect too much from people that are only "following orders" and following the money. They get their few dollars from the state for having him in jail for a day and the bondsman appreciates the quick $250. The public defender's office gets paid to litigate a case that should never have been started and the guy is now "in the system", which means he can be searched any time, any where, including his home, without a warrant, etc.

youngbuck
08-02-2012, 02:46 PM
And then, the state started being flooded with Californians.... :(

They wrecked their own state and now want to do it to Texas.

Don't feel alone, they're also doing it to CO. Admittedly, I'm originally from CA, but not like most of them. ;)