PDA

View Full Version : Durbin Not Liking the Rightward Shift in the Senate

AuH20
08-02-2012, 08:22 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/01/politics/tea-party-senate-impact/

Democratic Senate leaders reacted to Cruz's primary win with a warning: If he wins the general election in November, gridlock in the Senate will be even worse than it is now.

"Anyone elected to the Senate who starts off by saying 'I won't compromise' isn't going to help us," Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin told CNN.The tea party movement is a good foil for Democrats, but the reality is Cruz's vote probably wouldn't make that much difference, because he's replacing Republican Kay Bailey Hutchison, and she votes with the GOP 90 percent of the time.

Still, Democrats do have a point that Cruz, like any senator, would have a lot of power to grind business to a halt.

"You know what the Senate is like," said Durbin. "One senator stands up and says no, we stop the train, until we figure out how to bring that senator around."

Gridlock is what the founders counted on. After all, the constitution was a giant cease and desist order at one time.

jkr
08-02-2012, 08:26 AM
their idea of "compromise" is them getting EVERYTHING THEY want and YOU PAY FOR IT and if you "complain" they WILL D-ron or sWAt you...

so yeah, NO COMPROMISE!

AuH20
08-02-2012, 08:29 AM
their idea of "compromise" is them getting EVERYTHING THEY want and YOU PAY FOR IT and if you "complain" they WILL D-ron or sWAt you...

so yeah, NO COMPROMISE!

Republicans have been intentionally harming, I mean "compromising" for the greater part of the last century. So it's time to break out the vise and exchange roles for once.

Bern
08-02-2012, 08:31 AM
"One senator stands up and says no, we stop the train, until we figure out how to bring that senator around."

The power of one.

belian78
08-02-2012, 12:08 PM
It makes me so sick that this toolbox comes from my state. I'd wish for a stroke or something to that effect, but IL would just elect another statist to take his place.