PDA

View Full Version : Subjected to yet another TSA hurdle.

Anti Federalist
08-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Got accosted by this on my last flight.

Sorry, but I'm not at all assuaged by TSA's bland assertions that this data is not kept, or that it is not linked into a database.

Coming soon to road checkpoint near you.

New Technology Will Check Travel Documents

http://blog.tsa.gov/2012/04/new-technology-will-check-travel.html

You might remember me blogging about a new piece of technology last year called the CAT/BPSS. Its real name is “Credential Authentication Technology/Boarding Pass Scanning System.” That can be a mouthful, so I simply call it the travel document scanner.

We just started testing the technology at Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) and will also test at Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) and Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport (SJU) in the coming weeks. Each airport will receive 6 units total.

This technology will scan a passenger’s boarding pass and photo ID, and automatically verify the names provided on both documents and then match and authenticate the boarding pass. The technology also identifies altered or fraudulent photo IDs by analyzing and comparing security features embedded in the IDs.

What should passengers expect? Passengers will hand their ID to the TSA Travel Document Checker (TDC) who will scan it while the passenger scans their own boarding pass using a built in scanner that's part of the technology. Once the scan is complete, the technology automatically and permanently deletes the information from the system. Here's a link to the Privacy Impact Assessment for the technology.

If testing is successful, TSA could deploy the technology to airports nationwide. Our officers at airports that are not part of the operational testing will continue to verify travel documents with the aid of lights and loupes, as one of many layers of security.

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/privacy/privacy_pia_tsa_catbpss.pdf

Danke
08-01-2012, 09:31 PM

And you made it through!?

I'll be making a few phone calls in the morning, thanks.

Yieu
08-01-2012, 09:41 PM

And even you couldn't refuse? This is a whole new level of bad. This is dog collars and shackles. This is treating us as subhumans meant for the tagging and tracking, and also comes along with the superiority complex of imagining us as slaves, which must be necessary to feel one has a right to treat any human in such a manner.

There cannot be freedom without privacy, and there cannot be privacy without it being safeguarded by anonymity.

Anti Federalist
08-01-2012, 11:26 PM
And even you couldn't refuse? This is a whole new level of bad. This is dog collars and shackles. This is treating us as subhumans meant for the tagging and tracking, and also comes along with the superiority complex of imagining us as slaves, which must be necessary to feel one has a right to treat any human in such a manner.

Nope, no refusal on this.

I was right 30 years ago about MADD and drunk driving "crackdowns", I was right about seat belt laws, I was right about wireless enabled cars and what they would do.

Mark my words, this will be accepted practice for walking down the street or riding a subway or driving a car in the not too distant future.

Anti Federalist
08-01-2012, 11:27 PM
And you made it through!?

I'll be making a few phone calls in the morning, thanks.

I was going to mention your name, but then, it might have given a whole new definition to the term "gate rape" had I done so.

Yieu
08-01-2012, 11:41 PM
This will be used to track the movement of people, much in the same way that other nations have.

Tracking the movement of free people against their will tends to happen just before killing those people by the thousands or millions, though perhaps our government has "evolved" from those times and and may find forced labor more useful?

This is why spying on citizens is an act of evil. It leads to finding fault with them and harming them.

RickyJ
08-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Once the scan is complete, the technology automatically and permanently deletes the information from the system.

You see, you have nothing to worry about, it deletes the information permanently from the system after the verification is done. :D

Kind of like the same way the naked pictures of passengers are deleted after they make sure you have no weapon stored under your clothes.

Of course this will lead to more intrusions on privacy, like a DHS chief telling people if you have nothing to hide you should have no objection to us conducting a cavity search on you.