PDA

View Full Version : NY-City of Buffalo may be first in the US to ban the use of drones.

Anti Federalist
08-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Of course, we know what the Feds will say about that, but still, good for them, I hope they are successful.

It's a shame we're letting the "left" own this issue, at least in Buffalo, however.

Activists push city to be first in U.S. to prohibit use of drones

By Deidre Williams

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/buffalo/article978176.ece

The City of Buffalo has a chance to be the first in the country to ban Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, also known as drones.

A group of activists and community leaders came to City Hall on Tuesday to have their say in front of the Common Council Legislation Committee.

"You guys have an opportunity to make Buffalo the first drone-free city in the United States, and I hope you take that seriously," John Washington of Occupy Buffalo told lawmakers.

While the city has not been approached by the federal government or any other entity about purchasing drones, about 20 people showed up for Tuesday's public hearing to encourage lawmakers to support a proactive ban.

"Drone manufacturers will push this hard on you and other elected officials, They will say that one of the reasons [for drones] is fighting crime," said Charles Bowman of the Western New York Peace Center.

"We don't need drones in the City of Buffalo. We don't need further militarization of our police department," he added.

Earlier this month, Occupy Buffalo and the WNY Peace Center proposed legislation to the Council prohibiting the use and purchase of unmanned aerial vehicles in Buffalo, arguing that they violate constitutional rights and pose imminent danger to the public.

Excerpts from the proposal state that "drones present an unreasonable and unacceptable threat to public safety in the air and to persons and property on the ground ... due to limitations in drone vision, capability to avoid other aircraft and adequate control."

Another part of the proposed legislation reads "armed drones and surveillance drones present an unreasonable and unacceptable threat to the rights of individual privacy, freedom of association and assembly, equal protection and judicial due process ..."

Victoria Ross of the Peace Education Project noted that the drones in Buffalo most likely would be used primarily for surveillance, "which means warrants won't be needed."

The proposed legislation submitted to the Common Council asks that drones not be purchased, leased, borrowed, tested or used by any agency of the City of Buffalo.

The hearing was a chance for concerned citizens to voice their opinions on the matter, and the committee took no action.

"I will be thrilled if Buffalo will be the first in the nation to go down on record we are against drones," said Lesley Haynes, a social activist and retired social worker, during the hearing.

"I think it would be a really nice thing for Buffalo," Haynes said. "I would be proud to know Buffalo was leading this."

Mundane
08-01-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm not sure that it will matter much. Once DHS decides to start patrolling that part of the border, they will be under surveillance whether Buffalo has a ban or not simply due to their proximity to the border.

Anti Federalist
08-01-2012, 08:08 PM
I'm not sure that it will matter much. Once DHS decides to start patrolling that part of the border, they will be under surveillance whether Buffalo has a ban or not simply due to their proximity to the border.

Uh, yah, that's why I made that point in the first line in my OP.

But still, at least it's something.

GuerrillaXXI
08-01-2012, 08:15 PM
If nothing else, this shows that people are concerned about the issue, as they damn well should be.

As we all agree, it won't stop the federal pigs or military from using drones (or even the local authorities), especially if someday America's citizens have to take up arms against tyranny. But if that happens, then the drones and their operators, maintenance personnel, spare parts manufacturers, etc., will be targeted on the ground.

Mundane
08-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Uh, yah, that's why I made that point in the first line in my OP.

But still, at least it's something.

It's something, but not enough to counteract American's paranoia about their so-called porous borders. We've been living with border drones, the always annoying border patrol choppers, cameras, infrared, and informants here in the West for awhile now and no one says a thing. Not a peep. so I'm very much a pessimist in this matter.

WhistlinDave
08-03-2012, 01:32 AM
I think even if they aren't successful, the people there who are concerned about this will continue to make noise and the issue will get more and more attention. Their voices will be added to everyone else who is already aware of this coming "age of drones" for lack of a better term, and it will help spread awareness... I really hope they pass this law even if it turns into a fight with the Feds. Cities and/or states everywhere should be talking about passing bans like this!!!

Wren
08-03-2012, 02:18 AM
Too bad they cant do that for the whole state. Nyc and Ny state are like two completely different countries.

phill4paul
08-03-2012, 03:22 AM
I wonder what the Federal gov, in its largesse, will sell for cheap. Will the federal government provide grants for anti drone missiles? LOL.

Jingles
08-03-2012, 05:30 AM
I actually don't support this. I support eliminating police/military use of drones, but not banning them entirely. I think civilians should be able to fly whatever they want as long as they aren't using violence against others.

Anti Federalist
08-03-2012, 10:19 AM
I actually don't support this. I support eliminating police/military use of drones, but not banning them entirely. I think civilians should be able to fly whatever they want as long as they aren't using violence against others.

The proposed legislation submitted to the Common Council asks that drones not be purchased, leased, borrowed, tested or used by any agency of the City of Buffalo.

Looks to me like it targets strictly the city government.

But, I'd be in favor of a blanket ban on all surveillance drones.

"Civilians" would include creepy "private" surveillance firms like L-1, that would just as easily invade my privacy and snoop on me and turn around and sell that data to government, while making a hefty profit off my tax extortion.

Brian4Liberty
08-03-2012, 11:10 AM

Yep, in reality, the only people that would end up being prosecuted would be average people. Exemptions will be created for government and specially licensed and approved security firms.

Brian4Liberty
08-03-2012, 11:12 AM

We could only hope. It would take extreme and eternal vigilence to make that stick.

sailingaway
08-03-2012, 11:23 AM
go Buffalo.

Left, right.... pfft. It's everybody's Constitution, it is supposed to be BASELINE.

Mundane
08-03-2012, 11:51 AM
I think even if they aren't successful, the people there who are concerned about this will continue to make noise and the issue will get more and more attention. Their voices will be added to everyone else who is already aware of this coming "age of drones" for lack of a better term, and it will help spread awareness... I really hope they pass this law even if it turns into a fight with the Feds. Cities and/or states everywhere should be talking about passing bans like this!!!

As long as drones are used on the border, mission creep will exist (not to mention the rights of those on the border already being violated). People are still lining up to have their balls groped in the name of fighting terrorism despite the still, small voices of discontent. Sorry, I just don't see this going away any time soon.

Anti Federalist
08-03-2012, 12:07 PM
As long as drones are used on the border, mission creep will exist (not to mention the rights of those on the border already being violated). People are still lining up to have their balls groped in the name of fighting terrorism despite the still, small voices of discontent. Sorry, I just don't see this going away any time soon.

I understand your pessimism.

Still, any effort that can be made should be supported.

tangent4ronpaul
08-03-2012, 12:52 PM

But, I'd be in favor of a blanket ban on all surveillance drones.

"Civilians" would include creepy "private" surveillance firms like L-1, that would just as easily invade my privacy and snoop on me and turn around and sell that data to government, while making a hefty profit off my tax extortion.

You beat me too it. This still doesn't effect the state or federal gvmt or private companies that might sell the city data.

It also beings into question: "what exactly is a drone"? I was expecting the model aircraft community and model rocket community to be up in arms about this as they love to put camera's on their toys, but it looks like it's not a total ban so has loopholes you could drive a truck through.

Around here, even before news of drones became common, the building department was flying manned aircraft to check for un-permitted decks, building extensions and such. The police use them to spot speeders, ranchers use them to keep track of livestock and crops, etc.

-t